---/ 12 /

Euonymus

“Slow down!”

Henry couldn’t understand a word Hara was saying. She spoke so fast, it was near impossible to follow up everything she spurted per second. Henry grabbed the girl’s shoulders and shook her lightly, enough to stop her from clattering and tell him straight exactly what was going on. The girl stared at him for what felt like ages until she finally took a deep breath and organized her brain a little with the new dose of oxygen.

“Father, drunk, Jinyoung went there, mom’s hurt.” She put it simply for Henry to comprehend the message in time. And the violinist indeed had everything the moment he let go of the girl. Shocked was a small word from the way Henry’s face changed from worry to utter frustration. He didn’t know if he should shout that idiot’s name and label him with an appropriate nickname for his actions. Or, when taken in consideration the entire situation, lift Jinyoung to the hero status for his bravery. Henry mentally shook his head and thought that no matter what, it was foolish to go on the battlefield with your hands empty and inappropriate equipment. He grabbed again the girl and almost screamed in her face if he didn’t know how to control his voice.

“Do you have where to stay?”

“Donghae,” the girl answered right away as became dry and she was struggling against Henry’s tight grasp “...the cab is waiting, you take it. I’ll just...” she shifted her look elsewhere, unable to watch Henry’s mad glare “....wait here.”

“Take the cab,” the elder ordered as he didn’t let go of Hara and pulled her to the car. The girl protested loudly and attracted the driver’s attention. Henry could care less about what the other thought when he saw a guy like him carrying a rather sober girl back to the vehicle. He opened the door, shoved her inside and closed it back. When Hara wanted to get out and protest some more, she suddenly stopped and saw the way Henry looked around, unsure of what to do next.

She kind of pitied his relationship with her brother. She knew more about those two than they did and it kind of amused her sometimes. At that very moment, she was less humored and more suspicious on why their love suddenly faded in a matter of days. Heck, she was sure they would stay together forever because of the way Henry and Jinyoung glimpsed at each other and let small smiles reveal their vulnerability to one another. She didn’t really accept them because it was still hard for her to get used to the idea of a gay brother, but... she knew Jinyoung had been the happiest around Henry and it saddened her when that had been taken away from him too.

Everything, ever since they were children, had been stolen from Jinyoung and he never once complained about it. He never rebelled and he never spoke ill. He endured it and went on with life. Consumed by rage and everything Jinyoung couldn’t throw at the world, he became one bitter man she hardly recognized. Finally, after much consideration, she pushed the door open again and waved her hand in front of Henry.

“Let’s share...” she couldn’t grin at all “I’ll drop you home and then I’ll continue to Donghae’s, I have enough money.”

Henry took a look behind. He motioned for the girl to wait until he ran back inside, grabbed the keys hanging nearby and get some shoes on. He didn’t want to start his rescue mission with slippers, that wouldn’t help him much against his enemies. He regretted that he once more had to leave Daniel’s side, but Dongwoo was coming soon anyway.

“...” how could the lost brother enter the garage if he didn’t have a spare key? It took Henry another minute to figure it out. Daniel would just have to wake up and open or Dongwoo to wait in his car until Henry would return. Finally, he locked the front door and rushed back to the cab. Hara scooted over in order to make space in the back. They both urged the driver to go.

Off the car went, smoking the frozen air.






 

---






 

Daniel had to wake up. It was another nightmare which triggered his inability to sleep for more than four hours. It was also the main reason his headaches celebrated more often with one wild party in his skull. Moreover, the ruckus from outside the bedroom walls made it hard to concentrate on nothing in order to embrace dreamland. He lazily got up from the bed with his fingers softly tapping his chest. He wondered where his sweater disappeared. He was sure he left it somewhere in the bed’s vicinity. He grabbed Henry’s T-shirt instead and crawled towards the hallway. Before he even set foot there, he could hear the knocks and ringing noises.

It annoyed him.

As he headed to the door to see who was making such a fuss at that very hour, his eyes curiously fixed on the Christmas tree. He stopped when he saw the wrapping he had used for the gift rested in pieces. He didn’t know if the present was no longer there, but the thought of Henry finally checking it out cheered him immensely. Daniel became one hyperactive bunny the way he hopped to open the door. Dongwoo’s face made him lose all hope in a peaceful evening... again.

“Oh...” he exclaimed as the corners of his mouth dropped “hi.”

“Hi,” Dongwoo answered with the same monotonous tone which raised a flag inside of Daniel. His brother wasn’t feeling well, or else, he could not explain while wouldn’t Dongwoo turn in the same happy-go-go dinosaur he’d see in morning cartoons. Slowly, Dongwoo came forward and leaned his head against Daniel’s. He sighed in deeply and hugged his brother in silence.

Daniel let go of the door’s handle and blinked a couple of times before he returned the favor with one arm. He scrutinized Dongwoo’s face as much as he could. It was shadowed by his black hair and his lower lip became a victim of his teeth. Daniel finally pushed the door close and cupped Dongwoo’s face in his palms.

“Hey...” he cooed as his thumb brushed over his cheek “did you catch a cold?” His hand went ahead to his forehead and earlobes to check the man’s temperature.

“Aren’t you the cold one?” Dongwoo tried to joke, but the way he said it and his tired look made it impossible to create a happy atmosphere. If only Daniel knew what Dongwoo had really meant. The brother which had been his best friend for years became an ice sculpture Dongwoo wasn’t allowed to touch. It was as if too much heat could melt Daniel into nonexistence. And when he’d turn into water, Dongwoo could no longer bring Daniel to his chest. He’ll be left alone and soaked in his mistakes.

“Ya!” Daniel lightly slapped him “I’m fine, you’re the one that came looking like a zombie.”

“To be honest, I’d rather be a zombie now...” he avoided his brother’s gaze and cursed him for taking psychology as his major. Of all the things Daniel wanted to do in life, he abandoned all of his dreams in favor of that one choice. It still puzzled Dongwoo why, but he had a hunch. Then again, he couldn’t be sure until Daniel would finally say it.

“...that’s stupid.” Daniel mumbled.

“You’re stupid.” Dongwoo caught that and retorted.

“ you.” Daniel burst with anger.

“Love you too.”

Daniel frowned.

Dongwoo showed his tongue.

They stared until they both were smiling.

Dongwoo then grabbed Daniel’s head and gave him a light peck on the lips.

Only then had Daniel tasted the alcohol in Dongwoo’s mouth.


I know, I know, I'm an .

Well, tomorrow (or today) is Valentine's Day. I'm going to spend it by making graphics, act worse than a football hooligan in front of the TV screen (IF YUZURU DOESN'T GET GOLD OR SILVER, I'LL CRY) and then write a short-short with Heniel and post it / here /. Oh well ;;__;;

Oh, and 23:30 is doomed, just saying. I wish I could continue it myself, but I can't ;;___;; sorry guys.