---/ 22 /

Euonymus

He needed a loan. Tempted, his mother finally asked him not to depend on their money. With the enormous debt the family had, she told him not to do the same mistake. She made him swear.

But only related to bank loads.

With his father’s health worsening by day, Donghae thought working hard alongside his brother could help them get enough money for a surgery. Fools were they, money didn’t grow on trees and equality didn’t exist between workers when it came to payment. How could the two brothers make enough money while also studying their way through med-school?  

He knew Jinyoung couldn’t help him either – his mother might try to, but for sure Jinyoung’s father would interfere before a successful transaction or demand them return the sum in double or triple numbers.

He also had zero knowledge of Jaerim’s fiancée back then. He only knew of that pretty girl who came by their house from time to time. If only Henry or Soohyun had spoken up earlier and declare her their sister, he might have taken advantage of that sooner than Jaerim.

Donghae’s love for his family had long tainted his decisions. He asked around for weeks, deepening the search in ill-famed neighborhoods and contacting men notorious for their violence or that stash of drugs the police never found.

One night, he dressed up and ran away in the darkness, ready to sign a contract with a loan shark. He did so with several witnesses and even shared drinks with them. They promised him to pay soon and Donghae accepted. Another day or two didn’t matter.

Dazed from the alcohol and the sudden miracle, he calmly headed back home. The streetlights added an eerie layer to every shadow. Even if there weren’t as many drunks, Donghae still kept a low profile.

Up front, he saw a wandering boy. At first, he thought it was a ghost. The way he stared ahead with bloodshot eyes and each uneasy step made Donghae’s heart shoot to his throat.

Closer and closer to the weird person, he hoped it was just his imagination rebelling against his actions.

Closer and closer, Donghae realized the boy was human. When he saw him, he dashed in his direction like a hungry cheetah. The boy could very well be hiding a knife or a gun. Instead, his fingers grabbed at his clothes and his trembling legs and trembling voice broke down on him.

“Please,” he begged with the same surreal look, make-up ruining his entire face “please help me, please.”

He learned the same night that the boy’s name was Daniel. He learned the make-up was from drama classes, patches of skin showing from extensive sweating and crying. He learned he would graduate soon from high school and did not know what University to attend.

Donghae also loathed the hospital from that night on. He loathed to see the boy near him, black eyeliner cresting his cheeks as he cried some more.

Most of all, he loathed not being able to help him out better than a few words of encouragement.

“So?”

Donghae snapped out of memory lane and stole Jinyoung’s whole apple. He took a bite and munched away, ignoring him in favor of a radio song, humming it away.

“I’m not in the right state of mind right now~”

 

---

 

Dongwoo packed his things the entire day. Well, more like had gone shopping for new clothes and other stuff lost in the fire.

His place burned because of a faulty outlet and some other definition he couldn’t understand. Talking on the phone with his now ex-girlfriend again, they cleared all misunderstandings and parted ways for good. He had long avoided the house he shared with his incarcerated mother, waiting for the Supreme Court to approve her appeal. He could not bear going out the same door the police banged at or climb the stairs where his brother found him defeated by life.

Watching Daniel help him with last minute details after his classes ended brought only smiles.

Tired and looking like Hell, as Dongwoo constantly told him, the stubborn brunet nagged him for an entire hour – how he should have folded the clothes to save space, how he bought too many shoes, how wasting money on unpractical things wasn’t something he afforded to do in that very moment.

Dongwoo only laughed.

Boxes in the car and one last hug, Dongwoo pondered whether to let his mouth go ahead of his mind. He had so much to tell his brother, he feared he’d never leave his side from the constant yapping.

Instead, he squeezed the taller guy in his arms and chuckled at his infuriated groans.

“Are you sure you’ll be alright?”

Daniel should have been the one asking that. Given his mental state in those last days, he understood why Dongwoo was the one who popped the question before him.

“Yeah,” they parted, sharing awkward glances “what about you?”

“I’ll be super,” Dongwoo winked at his brother with hands in his pockets, feeling the concern tone dangerously making his leave impossible. “Thank you and sorry if I caused any problem.”

Daniel suddenly hugged him again, his arms pressed over Dongwoo’s back.

“I’m sorry for calling you names, sorry for being a bad brother, sorry for hitting you, sorry for cursing you, sorry for every single thing I have done so far,” he said it all in a single breath. “Most of all, I’m sorry for being such a terrible friend. Thank you so much Dongwoo. Thank you,” he inhaled “so much.”

“Ay,” Dongwoo pushed the boy off him “don’t be like that.” He ruffled his hair and pinched his ear. “I’m the luckiest man alive to have you as a friend and brother!”

Daniel lightly punched his arm.

“You are all so damn cheesy!”

Dongwoo only laughed.

 

---

 

Henry found his lover surrounded by books. Taking notes, muttering to himself and constantly moving in his chair, he found the scene all too familiar.

Not long before, when they were still strangers, Daniel often had the same position. Even that time when he finally got the courage to ask him out in an unofficial date to his concert and finish it with an unplanned kiss, Henry associated Daniel’s back with the butterflies in his stomach. That kid, busy learning and always damaging his eyes with words, that kid who only straightened his back when his arms were in the air, made Henry feel nervous.

“Niel,” even his voice sounded off like back then. “Had dinner?”

Every time he saw his back, Henry had no assurance he’d turn around. There was nothing worse than that sensation of waiting, the game of ‘does he love me or not?’, plucking each flower petal until there were none. Fortunately, Daniel didn’t take long before he grinned to the blond.

“Yeah, sorry,” one yawn and eyes closed, Daniel stretched his sore muscles. Henry came closer, his breath soon over his skin.

“Want to talk about it now?” Daniel opened his eyes and enjoyed the warmth, enjoyed the way Henry’s chin always fit between his shoulder and neck.

“One month,” yet, even Henry’s touch lost its magic with spring around the corner. “I’ll tell you everything in one month.”

“I have a concert in one month, want to go? We can talk after on the way home.”

Daniel’s eyes fell on the books as he closed all of them, colorful post-its lining up their covers.

“Sure,” he smiled at Henry, fingers reluctant to leave the books alone “sounds perfect.”

Henry grabbed his head and sunk their lips in a kiss. 


 

Annnd another quick update. 8 chapters to go~

Since we're near the end, here's a friendly reminder that Henry's one year younger than Niel and their theme song is still Junhyung's Flower (I bet the link will be dead later, but the lyriiics okaaay?... fine, here's the MV), yep xD *gets slapped* This day was good since the shop I co-own reached 500 subbies, so I felt like updating and and and... I'm tired /sniff

Also, I completely forgot! ._. Tia started a crack ship fic with Chanyeol x L.Joe (and implied NAP later, I'm sure of it since she ships them) if anybody's interested xD She's a better writer than me, so at least that shouldn't be a problem. 

Thank you for reading ^^

edit: HENRY'S COMING BACK ON JULY 14TH ;A; NO TEEN TOP X HENRY INTERACTION CAUSE THEY ARE COMING BACK IN AUGUST, BUT IT'S OKAY, AT LEAST THERE'S AN OFFICIAL DATE NOW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY /cries