Chapter 7 – Treasures From The Basement + Downhill = The Monkey’s Paw

Demon's PlayMate

- 3rd Person Pov-

-Shop-

Lounging on the wooden veranda while drinking tea, were Jihyo and Max, Dusting and playing were Junsu and Micky, examining and unpacking was Byul….and the one to be carrying everything from the basement to the outside was Jaejoong.

‘ This is the life.’ Jihyo said smiling while drinking her tea happily

‘Yea for you.’ Jaejoong mumbled angrily while carrying out more boxes.  ‘There’s so many things in the basement, why don’t you throw some of them away?’

Taking the box Jaejoong had just placed down, Byul opened it and took out all of the things inside out. It was no lie that Jaejoong was actually fascinated at some of the things he see, but there were some others he thought were just juke.

‘Because they are treasure as well as gifts and payments.’ Jihyo answered smiling

‘Well shouldn’t you take better care of them?’ Jaejoong stated annoyed

‘Time to time. I’m not exactly free most time.’ Jihyo said

Jaejoong eyes twitched ‘YOU CALL PARTYING AND LAZYING AROUND BUSY?!’ he snapped

‘Many things around here i needed to receive, or needed to take in order to pass on to others.’ Jihyo said smiling

‘Passing on?’ Jaejoong questioned

‘Things and people have certain levels of compatibility. Just like people do with other people.’ Byul explained while holding up a teddy bear and smiled at it ‘Neh?’

‘If they’re compatible, things go well’ Jihyo said ‘if they aren’t…’

A middle-aged lady entered through the gate, which Jihyo stop in her mid explaining

‘Welcome.’ Jihyo greeted the lady

The lady smiled ‘I was just passing by when something of yours caught my eye.’ She said ‘I’m a graduate student studying folklore.’

 ‘I visit antique shops and dealers quite a bit. Usually, they don’t let me keep anything, but…’

Jihyo had an unpleased expression hearing where this was leading

‘I learn a lot just by seeing them. Mind if I take a look around?’ the lady finished

‘Very well. Fate had brought you here.’ Jihyo said with an nod of approval. ‘Which item interests you?’

Without hesitation the lady walked to the pile of objects, she walked straight to a drawer and picked up what looked like a thermos or kaleidoscope tube with a blue tied knot on top, set on top of the drawer.

‘This is bad.’ Byul thought worried

 ‘This one.’ The lady said looking at the tube in her hands ‘what is this?’

‘what do you think it is?’ Jihyo questioned sternly

‘a kaleidoscope, maybe. But there’s no eye hole.’ The lady answered looking at the tube closely and shook it lightly ‘ in there something inside?’

‘yes.’ Jihyo responded

‘are you willing to part with it?’ the lady asked hopefully ‘I don’t know what it is, but I must have it.’

‘I recommend you reconsider.’ Byul spoke up

Jaejoong and Jihyo turn their attention towards Byul, Jihyo in understanding, but Jaejoong wondered what the reason might be.

 ‘is it irreplaceable?’ the lady asked Byul

Byul shook her head ‘Ani. ‘I’m sure there are other things amongst there that will interest you.’ She said hoping to change the lady’s mind.

But seeing the lady’s face, which held determination to have it and was willing not to have other consideration…

Byul eyes wondered off looking at the ground with an unnoticeable sorrow glint. ‘ However, if you must take it….’ She said

‘Byul?...is she alright?’ Jaejoong thought watching Byul closely

 ‘You must promise to absolutely do not open it.’ Jihyo said finishing Byul’s sentence

The lady smiled gratefully and happily ‘thank you so much!.’ She said and left

‘Byul---‘ ‘Byul, Jaejoong you two should get ready for class.’ Jihyo said cutting Jaejoong off.

‘Neh.’ Byul replied and went to get change.

Jaejoong didn’t say any further and did as told.

- On the Way To University -

The walk was silent. Jaejoong would glance secretly at Byul, who walked beside him often, and most of the time he would see that she looked deep in thought or her eyes looked distanced.

‘Hey…are you alright?’ Jaejoong asked breaking the silence.

‘Neh.’ Byul replied without looking at him

‘Will she be okay?’ Jaejoong asked ‘she won’t open it…right?’

‘I wonder.’ Byul answered ‘though I hope it won’t.’

Jaejoong stared at Byul from the side, wondering what she had meant by ‘it’ instead of saying ‘she’ implying the lady.

‘Joongie, did you realize that tube was even there?’ Byul questioned

Jaejoong thought about it ‘no, not at all.’ He answered

‘That tube…it had an extraordinary powerful seal put on it ’ Byul said

‘Is it that dangerous?’ Jaejoong asked ‘shouldn’t we call her and tell her that’

‘If she wants to open it, she’ll open it sooner or later. It she has no such intention, it will remain closed.’ Byul said, once again her eyes showed sorrow ‘I don’t think she’ll listen to anyone now.’

Jaejoong glanced at her ‘She must be really bothered about it.’ He thought

-University-

Walking through the hallway, Byul and Jaejoong headed to their first class…however while walking straight ahead with out paying attention, Jaejoong bumped into someone who came out from around the corner.

‘Sorry.’ Jaejoong apologized quickly and kneeled down to pick up the fallen books.

Jaejoong picked up the books and stood up, finally seeing who he had bumped, which was the very same lady who came into the shop this morning

‘Wow, it’s you guys.’ The lady said surprised ‘who knew we’ve meet again this soon in the same day

Byul nod ‘Neh, it must be fate.’ She said

The lady smiled ‘so you guys go to school here.’ She said, while getting back her book form Jaejoong ‘I’m starting as a student teacher tomorrow.’

Jaejoong looked at her amazed by the information.

‘it must be dumb luck. This kind of things happen to me a lot.’ The lady said ‘Things always come up my way, just by chance. ‘

‘umm…’ Jaejoong uttered trying to think of words to say

the lady then pulled out the tube she got this morning out from her bag ‘like how this just caught my eye.’ She said ‘I don’t know what’s in it yet, but things like this always have a reason.’

‘thank goodness…it’s still sealed ‘Byul thought with little relief.

‘Ah, about that tube.’ Jaejoong said but was interrupted by a beeping sound

The lady answered her phone, conversation with the professor about researching material for her thesis and walked a little further away to continue the conversation.

‘what about that tube?’ Yunho’s voice came from behind Jaejoong and Byul

‘I don’t know. Jihyo said not to open it.’ Jaejoong answered looking slightly worried

With a emotionless face ‘But she’s going to open it anyway.’ Yunho stated.

‘huh? How would you know?’ Jaejoong asked

‘She said ‘I don’t know what’s in it yet.’…She plans to know what’s in it some time.’ Byul answered ‘that’s what always happens.’

‘Curiosity is apart of human nature.’ Yunho commented

Byul, Jaejoong and Yunho watched the lady.

‘Yes. I’ll make the deadline, no problem. Goodbye,’ the lady said into the phone and end the call.

Once the lady finished, Jaejoong took the chance again to warn her

‘Umm’ ‘sorry, I have lots of work to do, see you both around’ the lady said cutting off Jaejoong and head the opposite direction, down the staircase.

Jaejoong followed her, Yunho and Byul followed behind him. Having the lady in sight walking down the stairs, they saw Dambi heading up. Not seeing each other, the lady and Dambi walked into each other, the tube was thrown in the air

‘oh no.’ Byul thought worryingly and hurriedly took action.

Byul pushed pass Yunho and Jaejoong wanting to get to the tube fast…but fate was not on her side, Dambi had manage to caught the tube in her hand.

‘Sorry’ Dambi said and handed the tube back to the lady

The blue tie unknotted and fell loosely.

Click

The sound came form the tube, as it slide open and black smoke emitted from it…causing Jaejoong to froze in place form continuing his way down stairs and gasped.

Byul frowned, not fazed by the black smoke as she saw the object revealing itself from the tube.

‘Petrified wood?’ the lady wondered what the object was.

Yunho and Jaejoong came down the stairs and saw the object.

‘Oh my gosh! This might be a money’s paw!’ the lady exclaimed surprised

Jaejoong eyes widened ‘a monkey’s paw…’ he whispered

‘I’ve read about these.’ The lady said in awe ‘It’s an artifact that grant wishes.’

‘But…But…but it might not be real’ Jaejoong said hoping that it wasn’t.

‘I don’t know for sure. a couple times I’ve bought something cheap and discovered it was extremely valuable or rare’ The lady said ‘I must be blessed with good luck.’

Byul’s frown deepened ‘luck…there’s no luck in this.’ Her mind told her.

‘No point in wasting time. Let’s see if this the real thing or not.’ The lady said in full anticipation

‘I don’t think this is a good idea.’ Jaejoong said worryingly

But no words could stop the lady.

‘How about it?’ the lady said in thought ‘ Make it rain from now until sunset.’

Crack

The sound of a finger broke, that only Byul and Jaejoong heard.

Looking out of the window, they saw harsh wind blowing through the trees, the sky darkened from gray clouds as rain poured down.

With no words or sound, Byul left the group who watched surprised of the pouring rain outside the window. Walking up the stairs, till she reached the rooftop of the university, going though the rain with no hesitation, Byul glazed over the rails to see a lake not to far from the building.

‘The source….’ Byul whispered to herself. ‘It’s a pity. Many people enjoyed it’s beauty’

With last words she returned back inside the building.

-That Night -

-Shop-

‘So now it’s raining, right?’ Jihyo questioned

‘Neh.’ Byul answered

After returning from University, Byul went to notify Jihyo of the events that occurred. They both sat on the veranda watching the rain pour. Jaejoong came out with a tray of tea and snack out, placing it down on the veranda.

‘So you knew that it was real?’ Jaejoong asked

‘They aren’t compatible.’ Jihyo said staring at the rain and drank her tea.

‘You mean the monkey’s paw and the woman?’ Jaejoong questioned

‘She hasn’t realize it though.’ Jihyo said sternly ‘because she’s overconfident in her abilities.’

‘What will happen because they’re not compatible?’ Jaejoong continue to ask questions

‘That’s up to her.’ Was Jihyo’s response ‘however… she’s already like a stone tumbling down a hill.’

Jihyo looked over at Byul, who was in deep thoughts and looked bothered.

‘Byul, her fate is created by her own decisions.’ Jihyo said ‘There’s no need to waste your concern or thoughts of it.’

Byul nod ‘I know.’ She whispered ‘but it’s disappointing to see where it is heading.’

Jaejoong looked at Byul, feeling worried, since from the morning till now, she had been looking bothered…almost disappointed…and to have walked home through the rain was no help either.

‘Hey. You didn’t dry your hair probably’ Jaejoong said reaching for the towel that was beside Byul ‘your going to catch a cold.’

Jaejoong placed the towel on her head and gently dried her hair

A smile was placed on Jihyo’s face, seeing the scene before her, wanting to leave the two alone, she quietly entered the house, leaving the two.

It was quiet between Byul and Jaejoong.

After Byul’s hair was finally dry, Jaejoong smiled ‘there’ he said glad and poured some warm tea into a cup ‘drink up, it’ll keep you warm.’

Thankful of Jaejoong’s actions and kindness, Byul smiled up at him ‘Thanks Joongie.’ She said softy and accepted the cup of tea.

-The Next Day,-

-University-

Heading to class, Jaejoong and Byul noticed that the other students were gossiping and talking about the same thing.

‘I wonder what’s everyone talking about.’ Jaejoong said

-Classroom-

‘Good Morning.’ Jaejoong greeted Dambi once entering the classroom.

But then also noticed that everyone in the class was gossiping.

‘Did I miss something?’ Jaejoong asked

‘The lake at the public park went dry.’ Dambi answered ‘there’s no water’

Jaejoong eyes widened in shock ‘the lake ran dry?!’ he exclaimed

Byul was not surprised from the news, it was something she had already expected…but now there was another feeling she had. One that told her something more will happen.

‘Byul are you alright?’ Yunho asked noticing Byul’s bothered look

‘Neh.’ Byul answered ‘I’m just over thinking things that’s all’

-Storage Room-

In the dim lid room, the lady took out the tube form her bag.

‘Once more…I need to test it once more.’ The lady said ‘something more material.

The lady thought long and hard of what her second wish, it didn’t take long for one to come in mind.

‘I got it! That Box I saw at that antique shop in Busan.’ She spoke to herself ‘no matter how much I begged, the owner wouldn’t sell it to me.’

Her eyes glinted in desire.

‘That’s what I want.’ She said

Crack

Thud

The lady gasped as she heard a thud behind her, turning around…she saw the smilliar box she had wanted just distance away from her. With little doubt, she went to the box and picked it up, examining it. It was a well-carved wooden box, but that wasn’t the reason why she had wanted it…the reason was because the box was locked and there was no key for it. Curiosity had gotten to her, she wanted to know what was inside.

‘This is really it!’ she gasped ‘it’s really the box. Amazing!’

Looking back at the money’s paw in the tube, she noticed that 2 out of the five fingers were broken.

‘Two of the fingers are broken…’ she wondered

She thought of the cause and smiled

‘So each time I made a wish, another one breaks.’ She figured

I recommend you reconsider

Byul’s words went through her mind.

But confidently the lady shook it off ‘I’ll be just fine. I know exactly what I’m doing.’ She said to her self.

Not able to see it…Black smoke released itself form the paw and spread.

- Jihyo Pov-

ring ring ring

I tossed in my bed and reached my arm out to get the phone on my bed stand.

‘Yes?’ I answered

Hey, Jihyo!

It was a friend from Busan.

‘Hey, it’s been a while.’ I said ‘How is your shop doing?’

Ah that’s what I wanted to call you about.

I sat up ‘what seems to be the problem?’ I asked

It’s this box I’ve found…very rare by the looks of it’s unusual craving, but I can’t exactly say what it is, since it’s been locked and there’s no key to it….

‘hmm please continue.’ I said

This morning I found it missing where I had left it. It just vanished.

-3rd Person Pov-

-University-

- Lunch -

Byul, Jaejoong and Yunho left the classroom to have lunch; Dambi couldn’t join since she had things to do.

‘Let’s find a place to eat. I’m hungry’ Yunho said

‘Ah it you guys again’ a voice happily stopped them

The owner of the voice was the same lady yesterday; in her arms were her books and the tube. Eyeing the tube in the lady’s arm, Byul frowned. 

‘You seem happy about something.’ Jaejoong commented

The lady chuckled ‘you could tell?’ she questioned happily ‘I finally got a box I’ve been wanting forever.’

‘A box?’ Yunho questioned

‘I, suppose it’s a pretty rare artifact, but the owner would never let me near it.’ The lady explained

The lady then went closer to Byul and Jaejoong, who stood beside each other

‘I had the monkey’s paw do me a favor.’ She whispered happily

Jaejoong gave her a funny look, whilst Byul’s eyes narrowed sharply

‘It’s amazing! I asked for it, and it just appeared out of nowhere. I was so surprised.!’ She beamed ‘this is the real thing.’

‘Nothing can appear out of nowhere. It came from somewhere.’ Byul thought

Once again she held out the tube and it slide open…. black smoke came out from the paw this time much more then the first. Jaejoong flinched from stench of the black smoke, which Yunho saw.

‘Take a look. Whenever you make a wish, one of the fingers break.’ The lady explained ‘since two are already broken, I only have three left.’

‘But you…’ ‘The superstitions always talk about terrible things happening to whoever uses a monkey’s paw.’ Yunho said cutting off Jaejoong

‘But’s that’s only for other people’ the lady said happily and closed the tube ‘I’ll be fine.’

‘Something cannot come from nothing.’ Byul stated earning the Lady’s confused look ‘And it’s not a favor…it’s called thieving’

But with no explanation or any further words, Byul turned away and head down the hall, Jaejoong and Yunho exchanged looks but followed Byul, leaving the lady still in confusion.

-That Night-

‘For a wish to manifest, nature will always react to achieve a balance.’ Jihyo said wisely ‘ either that, or one must pay the appropriate price.’

Jaejoong, Byul, Jihyo, Max and the twins were sitting in the living room. Jihyo was t the stems from flowers, with the twins and Max helping her. Byul was sitting quietly with Jaejoong beside her.

‘So for the rain to appear, the lake water disappeared.’ Jaejoong stated

‘They were one and same’ Jihyo said

‘The Box?’ Jaejoong questioned

‘A friend of mine who deals in an antiques shop called earlier.’ Jihyo said ‘Just as with the water, he said that a rare box of his had suddenly disappeared’

Jaejoong looked at Byul ‘so that’s what you meant by thieving.’ He said finally understanding

Byul nod ‘that’s how the paw works.’ She said

‘Will she be okay?’ Jaejoong asked her

‘There’s nothing we can do about it.’ Byul answered

‘But…’ Jaejoong didn’t continue his sentence…because a burnt smell filled the room

‘That’s not the roll cake…is it?’ Max questioned

Jaejoong jumped from his seat and ran to the kitchen ‘ THE SPONGE CAKE!’ he cried

The twins also jumped up and followed him ‘Roll cake~ Roll Cake~’ they sung

‘Once the stone begins to tumble, it cannot stop by it’s own will.’ Jihyo said ‘and it’ll continue, until it reaches rock bottom.

 ‘She’s nearly reaching the bottom’ Byul whispered to herself

- The Next Day -

-Library-

Seated on a table with may concerns but no ideas going trough her mind, the lady stressed of not being able to think of anything for her thesis paper.

Ring ring

Answering the phone, it was the professor.

‘Yes. I’m a little behind, but I know I’ll make it in time.’ The lady said ‘No you don’t have anything to worry about. Yes, sir.’

After the quick conversation, the lady returned writing her paper, but only to get frustrated with her writing for it was too ordinary.

‘My thesis determines my advancement.’ Her mind told her ‘ I want to keep studying folklore.’

Letting out a sigh and looking helplessly at the paper before her.

‘ I need something that will get attention. Something that’s never been done before.’ She thought stressed and desperately ‘anything…’

Glancing around, her eyes landed on the tube, in her bag. Taking a hold of it and looking at it closely, as if it was telling her do what she desires.

- Lunch -

‘YAH! Stop taking my food!’ Jaejoong snapped

Byul grinned ‘but I’m still hungry.’ She beamed

‘How much do you eat?!’ Jaejoong scolded

Sitting outside under a shade tree, Byul, Jaejoong, Yunho and Dambi were having their lunches. Byul being a demon…a big appetite one had finished her lunch box under seconds and was still hungry. So she stole some of Jaejoong’s food.

Dambi giggled at the two ‘Byul you can have some of mine if you like.’ She offered

Byul eyes sparkled ‘YOU’RE THE BEST DAMBI!’ she beamed and helped herself to Dambi’s lunch

‘HEY! Don’t take other people’s food!’ Jaejoong scolded

‘Merong~’ Byul teased with full

‘Aishi seriously!’ Jaejoong said annoyed

‘It’s her again.’ Yunho suddenly commented

Everyone turned their attention to where Yunho was looking. Sure enough it was that lady not too far away, she was smiling while on the phone.

‘she seems really happy’ Dambi commented

The lady was answering unusually happy and loud, Byul, Jaejoong and Yunho exchanged looks with each other. After the phone call ended, the lady was grinning happily, her eyes caught sight of where Byul and the group were and happily went over to them.

‘You guys wouldn’t ever guess what had happened!’ The lady beamed

‘She used that paw again…’ Byul whispered only Jaejoong and Yunho heard

‘No surprise there’ Yunho added

‘My professor was complimenting me on the thesis I submitted.’ The lady said happily ‘he said ‘your work is beyond even college level.’’

‘That’s great news’ Dambi said smiling

‘He even said it might get published if his editor likes it.’ The lady added

Jaejoong frowned while, as Yunho and Byul were both motionless.

‘That’s amazing’ Dambi praised

‘The box and thesis are both thanks to the monkey’s paw’ the lady said happily ‘I’ve got two wishes left. I’ve got to use them carefully.’

‘ I thought the monkey’s paw was a little creepy when I saw it. But I guess everything’s okay’ Dambi said

‘I’ve had lots of luck all my life’ the lady boasted ‘ I even found the monkey’s paw because of how strong my luck is.’

Yunho looked away and sighed irritated by the lady’s behavior, Byul also felt the same and Jaejoong was feeling more concern.

‘But are you.—‘ ‘Don’t worry. Others can’t handle a monkey’s paw. But I’m special’ the lady said with confidence cutting Jaejoong off.

‘The only ones that you can affect are one with a heart.’ Byul whispered ‘The monkey’s paw had neither sympathy nor tolerance.’

‘She doesn’t understand how sinister it really is.’ Yunho added

‘Her journey…ends soon.’ Byul said

Jaejoong who would have been worried for the lady’s sake…but this time, he could only held his head down in defeat.

There was no way of stopping the lady any further…she was going downhill very quickly

-The Next Day-

-Train Station-

 The Lady jogged to the train station as fast as she could, but unfortunately missed the train ‘. I overslept. What do I do now?’ She cursed

Checking for the time of the next train, it will be arriving delayed, which could more worry for her.

‘Toady’s my last day student teaching…so all the professors will be watching me.’ her mind stressed ‘ at this rate I’ll be late.’

Anxiety filled her every nerves, as the lady chewed on her finger nails while waiting for the train.

‘Why can’t there be an accident or something. At least then I’d have an excuse’ She wished thoughtlessly ‘ they might overlook this if I had an excuse.’

Crack.

The lady’s eyes widened as a woman stood beside her, fell limply on to the train tracks…right before her eyes the fast train crashed the woman soundlessly. It was a burr for her as many voice of screaming was heard around her.

In fear and in shock ‘it couldn’t have!’ she thought in denial as she took out the tube with shaken hands ‘it counted that as a wish?’

Wanting to escape the scene and sound of many screaming people, she aboard the train quickly.

- University-

Walking nervously and alarmed through the halls, nothing could be registered in the lady’s mind or could brought her out of her shocked trembling stated.

Byul, Jaejoong, Yunho and Dambi caught sight of her as well as she strange behavior. With sight like Byul and Jaejoong’s they could see the black smoke trailing the lady.

‘what the…’ Jaejoong uttered covering his nose form the smell.

‘She seems different today.’ Yunho commented

‘You can tell?’ Jaejoong asked

‘It’s not that hard to tell’ Yunho stated like it was the obvious ‘she’s acting very strange.’

‘Yeah. She doesn’t look very happy today.’ Dambi added

Byul eyes hardened, knowing what was soon to happen. ‘It’s the end.’ She thought

-Storage room-

Horror stricken, the lady hid in the storage room.

‘I only have one left! I didn’t know that just thinking counted as a wish’ She said terrified.

Ring Ring Ring

Distracted by her phone ringing, she answered the phone.

‘Hello?’ the lady answered

We have a concern about your thesis. Is it really your work?

Cold sweat broke out ‘Wait. Of course I wrote it.’ The lady asserted  ‘I didn’t plagiarize it!’

Your Papers are exactly of another student’s work. The student had also already submitted their notes prior!

‘I didn’t steal her paper!’ the lady protested ‘ I’m telling the truth! It’s just a coincidence we did the same topic. Just because she handed hers in first doesn’t mean mine’s not original!’

What you’ve submitted was a copy of the draft she submitted!

The lady’s eyes widened ‘it was copied from the draft…she submitted 2 weeks ago?’ she questioned shocked

I’m sorry to say that this isn’t going to work out.

‘W-Wait! Professor!’ the lady cried but the line went dead

Shaken and horrified with the outcome…the lady had another concern a raised

‘This means I’ll be blamed for the train accident too, doesn’t it?’ She said to her self ‘ she was right next to me, and I pushed her. That’s what the police will think.’

BANG BANG BANG

Angry knocks were pounding on the door, terrifying the lady further , she fell on to the ground, with her hands covering her ears…wanting block of the noise

‘I CAN’T TAKE THIS! MAKE IT STOP!’ the lady cried and screeched

Taking a hold of the monkey’s paw, the lady angrily blamed it

‘DO SOMETHING! THIS IS ALL YOURFAULT!’ she shouted ‘Just erased everything that I’ve done!’

The final wish was heard…

Crack

The final finger breaks…slowly the fingers twitched, sounds of cracking followed as the monkey’s paw fingers were cracked back in place. The lady watched in horror as the monkey paw came to life before her, fear made her unmoving….

As the paw fingers clutched themselves around her neck and choked her.

Falling backwards on to the ground and gasping desperately for air, but none came…

Silence followed after.

- Byul -

-Hallway-

Following her senses Byul trailed where the lady had went, she came to a door that read ‘storage room’. Opening the door, she witnesses an empty room…but she knew far more what had happened.

‘Byul you need something in the storage room?’ Dambi asked

Without looking behind, she knew that Dambi, Jaejoong and Yunho had followed her.

Byul shook her head ‘Ani. Nothing’s here. Let’s go.’ She said and closed the door.

-Jihyo Pov-

‘It’s good to hear that it had return’ I said ‘good day’

I hung up after speaking to my old friend.

The box was returned…which could only mean one thing.

I made my way to the basement, going down the flight of stairs; I reached the first shelf and found the tube.  

‘You have returned as well.’ I said

I closed the tube and sealed it, once more.

 ‘We’re Back!’ I heard Jaejoong and Byul’s voice called

I left the basement and welcomed them back; I gave Byul a hug like I always do.

‘The box and tube had returned ‘ I said, patting her head

Byul smiled ‘ and she got her wish.’ She informed me.

Tell a person not to open it, and the desire will only grow.

You convinced yourself that only you could escape punishment for violating your promise.

When in fact, you were the same as everyone else.