Chapter 11 – Winter Break + Jihyo Away = Jaejoong Free Time

Demon's PlayMate

-Jaejoong Pov-

It didn’t bother me at all that I had finally get to have days off. Free from the chores, free from being ordered around…AND FREE FROM THAT DEMON! Although…I did still had to feed them and all…but that’s easy I can just leave the food at the door and leave.

‘There’s so much I wanted to do in all of this free time I had!’ I mentally cheered

And it was luckier since we were also having a short break from classes. Can my luck get any better?

Ring Ring

My home phone rang

‘Hello?’

JOONGIE WE NEED FOOD!!!!!! - Byul

Food~ We’re hungry~ - Junsu

We WANT Now! - Micky

My eyes twitched ‘YAH! DON’T SHOUT THROUGH THE PHONE!’ I shouted back at her ‘I’LL BE THERE SOON!’

I hang up before she could say anything else...how could she still ruin my mood even when she’s not around

I let out a sigh ‘better get started or she’ll go ape at me.’ I said to start cooking and myself.

-5 minutes later-

‘ I FORGOT!!!!’ I screamed

I ran through the streets as fast as I could to the shop…I had forgotten that spirits are always after me. Usually on days I work at the shop…which was every single day since I started, I often slept in the guest room at the shop, other days when I need to get home, it would be Yunho or Byul and Max to walk me home...but right now…I had none of them.

‘ALMOST THERE ALMOST THERE!’ I told myself mentally as the sight of the shop came closer.

I pushed the entrance door open and leaped in as if I was in an action movie, with the food secured in my arms.

‘SAFE!’ I shouted happily and did a victory dance

‘Was that necessary?’ Micky questioned coming out of the shop

‘Was is?’ Junsu questioned following Micky out.

My eyes twitched ‘Obviously you two wouldn’t know the horror that I go through every single day of my life!’ I stated irritated

‘JOONGIE!’ The voice I new annoyingly well shouted

In an blink of an eye I was tackled in a bear hug, I stumbled back a little and had manage to caught Byul without dropping the bag of food.

‘YAH! STOP DOING THAT!’ I shouted

Not letting go of the hug, she grinned up at me ‘HI~’ she beamed ‘what’s for lunch?’

This demon honestly only and always thinks of food. Byul let go of me as I gave her the bag of food

‘I’ve also brought dinner too.’ I said

She and the twins squealed in delight

‘Yah! That doesn’t mean you can just eat them all in one go!’ I scolded ‘I’m not going to bring anymore today!’

‘Neh~’ They sung

‘Well I’m leaving then.’ I said and turned around to leave.

‘Wait!’ Byul called

‘What?’ I turned back looking at her annoyed

 ‘Your gonna get eaten by spirits.’ She said smiling widely ‘so this will help.’

She approached me and leaned closely up towards me. My eyes watched her, I wanted to see what she’ll give me to help.

Shockingly…

I felt warm and soft lips touched mine but it was gone less then a second.

I gasped shocked, with eyes wide ‘y…Y-YAH!’ I stuttered not able to form any other words

I felt my face warmed up, surely my face must have been red

Byul only smiled widely at me ‘That mark will keep you safe a week max.’ she beamed

‘M-Mark?’ I questioned

She nod as she held up my right hand and turn it over, showing my wrist…and there it was the mark. It was a baby pink color infinity sign, like a tattoo. How could I not notice this before?

‘Bad Spirits won’t touch you now’ Byul repeated with a smile ‘since this mark means your mine.’

‘W-WHAT?!’ I shouted in horror. ‘If it’s like that, THEN I DON’T WANT IT! GET RID OF IT!.’

‘Too late.’ Byul grinned ‘Bye~’

Byul and the twins skipped into the shop happily with the bag of food…while I was still shocked and tried to process everything.

-3rd Person Pov-

Unknowingly, an elderly aged woman watched the whole scene with an amused smile. Jaejoong who was grumbling beneath his breath while closing the entrance door, didn’t noticed her till, the woman chuckled.

Jaejoong observed the woman, noticing she was wearing an traditional hanbok, which is rarely worn anywhere in Korea these days unless there was an celebration of some sort. However, overall the elderly woman looked beautiful and kind.

‘Good evening’ the woman greeted with a warm smile

Jaejoong returned a smiled ‘Good evening, are you here to see Jihyo?’ He asked

The woman looked at him confused ‘Jihyo?’ she questioned

‘er…aren’t you looking for Jihyo…or maybe you might be looking for Byul.’ Jaejoong said

‘Ah, I was just passing by, when I saw you were having fun with your girlfriend, so watched’ The woman answered smiling ‘I apologize for the confusion.’

Jaejoong shook his head ‘It’s not a problem.’ He said, before giving her a horrified look ‘AND THAT GIRL ISN’T MY GIRLFRIEND!’

The woman laughed at Jaejoong’s reaction before looking back at the shop ‘This is such a magnificent house.’ She praised

‘It’s a shop, actually.’ Jaejoong corrected

‘What kind of shop?’ she asked interested

‘Well, uh…a little bit of everything…’ he answered unsure of how to put it.

‘Are you the owner’s son, perhaps?’ she asked

Jaejoong shook his head ‘Ani, I’m just a part time worker.’ He said ‘though I have free time off work’ Jaejoong said chuckling

 For an odd reason, he felt comfortable talking to the woman, no matter what the topic was about, he felt comfortable answering her questions.

‘I see’ the woman said and smiled warmly at him ‘well then, I wonder if you’d be willing to keep me company.’

-Park-

It was unknown to Jaejoong how it happened, and it didn’t matter to him. He and the unknown Woman both sat in a local park, having a conversation. The conversation consisted of many things, from working at the shop to his hobbies.

‘Are you okay out here? It’s cold out.’ Jaejoong said feeling cold wind pass by

The woman looked around with a constant smile ‘I like it here.’ She said and picked up the can of drink Jaejoong had brought on the way for them both, trying to open it but failed

Jaejoong kindly took the can and opened it for her. ‘Here you go’ he said smiling

The woman thankfully took the can and thanked him. Jaejoong then open his own and drank…though he looked at the woman noticing that she hadn’t drank yet, she was only looking at the can in an gentle glaze with a warm smile….but Jaejoong noticed something more in her eyes.

‘I was just thinking how much I felt like having a canned coffee’ the woman said ‘it that weird?’

‘no, it’s not weird at all…’ Jaejoong said wanting to be nice even though he thought otherwise.

The woman smiled ‘ your kindder. I can tell by the look on you face.’ She pointed out

Jaejoong face flashed embarrassed to have been easily caught

‘I was thinking…how much I’d like to do this with my child.’ She suddenly said

Jaejoong eyes widen slight form what’d heard

‘on the way home from school, just go for a walk…tell him that today is special. Just a little side trip to wherever.’ She said ‘However, he died so many years ago…’

Sorrow was what Jaejoong felt for the woman.

‘my only son…when he would grew up, I’d hope he would become a nice young man…’ The woman continued ‘just like you.’

Jaejoong glazed down at the ground sadly, thinking of his own family.

‘You see…you’ve made my dream come true. Thank you.’ She said

Jaejoong shook his head ‘Ani, you shouldn’t say that.’ He said

‘then you wouldn’t mind if I came to see you again?’ The woman asked hopefully

Jaejoong felt bashful feeling a warm feeling in his chest and couldn’t help but wanting to agree.

‘If it’s fine with you…’ He said

- Jaejoong Pov-

-Walking Home-

The smile I had on my face never left after speaking to that kind woman. I pulled out my wallet and my smile widens looking at the only family photo I had of my parents when I was young.

That woman…she had a motherly vibe.

Cough Cough

I covered my mouth from the sudden cough that came.

‘I hope to see her again’ I thought smiling happily.

‘That’s creepy.’ A voice stated

I turned to the owner of the voice and instantly I felt annoyed

‘What are you doing here?!’ I asked

Yunho stared at me blankly with no emotions like he always had. ‘Walking’ he answered ‘where’s Byul and Max? Shouldn’t they be with you when your walking home?’

‘They’re at home and I won’t be needing them or you for the a whole week since I have this mark’ I said showing him the mark Byul had given me ‘with this, it’ll keep the spirits away for a week’

Yunho stared at the mark for a while before looking at me with a strange glint in his eyes ‘be careful.’ He said and left.

I watched him leave ‘His such a weirdo’ I thought to myself and continued my way home.

- Your Pov -

I laid out on the veranda staring at the night sky

Ring Ring Ring

‘Byul The phone is ringing!!!’ Junsu ran out to me with the home phone in hand

I smiled at him ‘thanks’ I said and took the phone

‘Hello?’ I said into the phone

Byul, it’s Yunho.

My smile widened ‘Hey Yunho, how’s your break going?’ I asked happily

I heard Yunho chuckled

Good. How about you?

I grinned ‘well, so far really boring, since Jaejoong is not around.’ I whined ‘but aside from that, why you called Yunho?’

I walked into Jaejoong before.

‘Ah is that so. Well if your wondering why…there’s no need to worry, I’ve got his problem handled and Unni had given him a week, since he deserves it.’ I said ‘Unni and Max are on an overseas work as well, so I’m looking after the shop and can’t walk him home.’

Ah I see. But there’s another thing I wanted to mention.

I remained quiet to let Yunho continue, because it sounded important

I think there’s something going on with Jaejoong.

My eyes hardened, already I was feeling worried

I don’t know why or what. But I feel it.

‘Don’t worry I understand.’ I said

For Yunho to have called me and say this, for sure there must have been something going on.

‘Yunho it’s a bother…but could you do me a favor of watching out for Jaejoong for me?’ I asked hopefully ‘I’m sorry, but since I’m stick at the shop, I can’t leave…’

Neh. You don’t have to explain, if you need it, just ask it. We’re friends right?

I smiled at his words feeling touched ‘thanks Yunho.’ I thanked sincerely ‘I owe you one.’

No problem. But what do I do if it’s a spirit or some sort that’s harming him?

‘ I have just the thing for that, drop by when you can.’ I said

I’m close by, so I’ll come over.

‘Okay.’ I said and we both hung up.

-The Next Day-

-Jaejoong Pov-

I woke up early and made breakfast, lunch and dinner, all of that for that Demon so I wouldn’t have to keep going to that evil shop seeing their faces all the time. Made it quickly and head out, the sooner I get this over and done with, I’d get to go and meet up with that Woman again in the park.

-Shop-

‘YAH! The food’s here!.’ I called out loudly once I entered the shop.

The twins came running out and took the bag from my hand, and ran back in the house.

My eyes twitched ‘Not even an ‘hello’ or ‘thank you’?!!!’ I stated angrily

Byul then came out from the shop and as usual greeted me with a bear hug.

‘GOOD MORNING!’ she beamed

‘Aishi! Let go.’ I said trying to get out of the hug,

Byul pouted ‘why? I wanna hug Joongie longer’ she whined

I rolled my eyes ‘ I have to meet someone.’ I said

With arms still hugging me, Byul looked up at me with a questioning look ‘who?’ she asked before frowning ‘it’s not a girl is it? Because I won’t let you!’

Here we go again…this demon that thinks she owns me.

‘it doesn’t concern you who I meet.’ I said and prayed her off of me

Surprisingly I had gotten out of her hug

‘I’m off then.’ I said heading to the entrance

‘Jaejoong’ she called

I turned back looking at her ‘what?’ I asked

‘Be careful.’ She said

I raised a brow at her, confused by her sudden strange behavior ‘yeah…’ I said

‘Don’t be too close that girl! Cause your still my PLAYMATE!’ She added

My eyes twitched not liking the word that had came out from her. ‘I’M LEAVING!’ I shouted annoyed and shut the door.

-3rd Person Pov-

‘Oh dear’ the woman said and laughed

‘Don’t laugh so hard at that!’ Jaejoong sulky

Jaejoong shared his stories of school life. This time it was the story of how he was bothered at how Dambi always compliments Yunho, leaving him to think that Dambi liked Yunho better then him…and when he tries to bring up his courage to ask Dambi directly if she had feelings for Yunho, some things always prevent him from it.

‘sorry but that just sounds so cute’ the woman said smiling.

‘It’s not cute. I think it’s pretty pathetic…’ Jaejoong said gloomily

‘Of Course it’s cute! You like this Dambi, don’t you?’ The woman asked

Jaejoong face turned red ‘no, no, no! I just…get nervous when she’s around…yeah.’ Jaejoong said embarrassed trying to hide the truth

‘it would be nice if Dambi liked you , wouldn’t it?’ the woman said with a smile

Shyly Jaejoong nod with a light blush on his cheeks

‘but that Girl, Byul I recall her name…is also rather very adorable.’ The woman added ‘She seems to really like you.’

Jaejoong blushed face turned into an annoyed look ‘she’s far from adorable!’ he protested ‘and she only likes me because I am the only being that’ll keep her entertained’

The woman smiled seeing how Jaejoong’s reaction changed.

‘the air is getting colder out here, isn’t it?’ the woman said ‘if you don’t hurry home, your family will worry…’

‘Oh…I live alone, so I’ll be fine.’ Jaejoong said

‘You live in a boarding house? Does your family live far from here?’ the woman asked

Jaejoong shook his head with a small smile, looking down at the ground ‘ No. My parents are gone.’ He said

The woman was shocked before her face showed sadness and sorrow. ‘sorry. I didn’t know.’ She apologized

In panic not wanting the Woman to feel bad Jaejoong smiled ‘don’t worry about it! It was long time ago.’ He reasoned

But the woman could see through Jaejoong and comfortingly she took one of his hand in hers

‘No matter how much time passes, the pain of losing someone important to you never goes away…’ the woman said sadly ‘the loneliness never heals.’

Letting his true feelings show, Jaejoong eyes sadden…it was true what the woman had said. It was still lonely.

‘The same is true for me’ the woman said

Wanting to be comfort and the warmth that he felt, Jaejoong held the woman’s hand.

They both went into a comfortable silence…

‘Ah that remains me.’ Jaejoong said remembering something

Letting go of the woman’s hand, he reaches down beside him and held up a box.

‘Here, take this. It’s lunch’ Jaejoong said smiling ‘I like to cook, so if you don’t mind…I figured I’s share some with you.’

Accepting the lunch box, the woman glazed blankly at the box

‘Um but it’s okay if you don’t like it.’ Jaejoong said

‘That’s not it.’ The woman said and held the lunch box close to her ‘this makes me so happy…thank you.’

Jaejoong smiled glad and felt relieved.

‘Ah I also wanted to say. If you have other things you’d rather so, don’t let me keep you…you’d rather play with your friends, right?’ the woman said

Jaejoong gave her a reassuring smile ‘don’t worry about it.’ He said ‘I enjoy our time together.’

‘I enjoy it too.’ The woman agreed

‘I’ll make more for you tomorrow. If there’s anything you’d like me to make, just say so.’ Jaejoong said happily.

From what Jaejoong had said, the woman looked worryingly at him, which confused him

‘Don’t push yourself too hard…’ she said worryingly

From her words and her worried eyes, Jaejoong felt the motherly nature from her and smiled.

‘I’m not and I won’t. Thank you’ He said

After finishing the lunch, they both went separate ways.

-Jaejoong Pov-

-Home-

I returned home and instantly went to the kitchen, excited and full of thoughts of what to make for tomorrow’s meeting.

-While Cooking-

Cough

‘I don’t know what it is, but at least I can still taste things…’ I said to myself, as I tasted my cooking.

-Few Days Later-

- 3rd Person Pov-

Days that had gone by, Jaejoong never failed to visit the woman is the park. Never has he ever ran out of things and stories to tell her, always showing her places and making her laugh, from each meeting with her, Jaejoong never felt happier…the vibe that the woman had was a motherly one, it made him felt as if he was spending time with his mother…something that he had always wished for.

 As for Byul, each time Jaejoong had come in the morning to drop off the food, she had notice changes in him. To her he seemed paler, as if he was getting sick and weak…it worried her. She had questioned him before of his appearance, but his reply were the same ‘really? I haven’t notice. But I’m fine.’ He would often say and leave in a hurry.

But Byul knew better, she knew the caused for it.

-Shop-

Byul sat on the veranda, watching the entrance door to open…waiting for Jaejoong to come and deliver the food as previous morning. The twins watched her from in the shop.

‘She’s worried for Jaejoong’ Micky and Junsu thought

The entrance door opened and the twins did their usual, run to Jaejoong, take the food and went back inside the shop to leave Byul and Jaejoong alone.

‘Well I’m leaving…’ Jaejoong said and turned to leave

But before he could take a step, arms wrapped themselves around from behind him. Byul was back hugging him.

‘You feel cold Jaejoong’ Byul said tightening her arms around Jaejoong.

‘Really? I feel fine----‘Cough Cough

Fits of coughing cut Jaejoong off as he covered his mouth trying to confine the coughs.

Byul let go of Jaejoong and turned him around to face her.

‘Your not okay!’ Byul said worryingly ‘Come inside and rest.’

Jaejoong shook his head ‘Ani I’m fine. I guess I kinda caught a cold.’ He said and was in another fit of coughs ‘ I must of have caught it recently…’

The coughs continued, only worrying Byul further. ‘this is not normal.’ Byul’s mind told her

‘I’m fine, it’s nothing major’ Jaejoong said through his coughs, hoping to convince and not worry her.

Fits of coughing continued, suddenly Jaejoong’s sight burred and his surroundings spun…next were darkness.

Byul watched worried sick and was scared seeing Jaejoong’s body suddenly fall. She quickly caught him in her arms, but not able to carry him.

 ‘JUNSU MICKY!’ Byul shouted ‘Jaejoong! Jaejoong!’

Junsu and Micky ran out, they were surprised by the sight they had saw but dismissed it and helped Byul carry Jaejoong inside the shop.

‘Junsu Micky get lots of blanket’ Byul ordered the twins

Sitting by Jaejoong’s side, Byul placed her hand on his forehead….and no doubt it was heated…yet his body felt cold. Micky and Junsu returned with the things Byul had asked of them, both placing many layers blanket on Jaejoong.

‘Byul he passed out. He’ll wake up soon.’ Micky said

Junsu nod ‘yeah, his going to be fine.’ He said assuring her.

Byul eyes hardened ‘it’s getting worst.’ Her mind told her

- 2 hours later-

-Jaejoong Pov-

The sight I saw when I opened my eyes was to meet another 3 pairs….Byul, Micky and Junsu I remained laying down but rubbed my aching head.

‘What happened?’ I asked

‘You passed out.’ Micky answered

I sat up and let out a sigh ‘ah is that so…’ I said ‘well it’s nothing too bad.’

I chuckled and looked at the three….but none of them were laughing or even smiling. Byul eyes were looking at me sternly, making me nervous.

‘w-what?’ I asked

‘a cold?’ she questioned.

‘That’s what I thought it could be.’ I said

‘You don’t have a fever.’ She said

‘Are you sure it isn’t some spirit or parasite?’ Micky asked me

‘Of course it isn’t! Beside, I haven’t seen any recently…’ I answered ‘But that’s only necessary since you gave me that mark.’

‘That mark doesn’t stop you from seeing spirits, it only prevents the evil ones away from you.’ Byul said

‘well what ever. I’m leaving.’ I said and got up

‘Jaejoong you have to head home and rest.’ Byul said

I rolled my eyes ‘where else would I go.’ I stated

I opened the entrance door.

‘Be careful.’ Was what I heard from Byul before I closed the door.

‘What the heck is she so work up about?’ I thought annoyed by Byul’s behavior.

But then someone else came in my mind…making me set off running.

Running to the park.

-3rd Person Pov-

Jaejoong ran as quick as he could to the park, to the usual place where he’d meet the woman. Once there, he saw the same woman waiting at a bench.

‘Sorry for being late.’ Jaejoong said as coughs followed after

Hearing his bad cough, the woman went to him in worry

‘What’s wrong? How are you feeling?’ the woman asked in concern as she help supporting him but the shoulders.

‘Sorry. I just feel faint.’ Jaejoong said.

‘That’s not good’ the woman said and led him to the bench. ‘You should have stayed at home to rest’

Jaejoong smiled at her for feeling concern for him ‘I can’t leave you waiting here for me…’ he said

The woman felt guilt ‘I’m so sorry. You keep going to extremes just for my sake…’ she said sadly

‘No I’m not! I’m here because I want to!’ Jaejoong protested not wanting her to feel bad.

Weakly and forcefully Jaejoong stood up ‘Let’s go for a walk’ he said and coughed

‘No you don’t! sit down’ The woman said like a mother would to her sick child

 she stopped him and made him sit back down. Placing a hand on his forehead, Jaejoong felt the comfort and warmth like he did when he was young with his mother.

 ‘you don’t seem to have a fever.’ She said

Jaejoong only continued to stare at her, which worried the woman.

‘I’m sorry.’ The woman apologized removing her hand from his forehead

Jaejoong shook his head with a warm smile ‘You just reminded me.’ He said confusing the woman ‘long ago, when I had a fever, my parents would check my temperature that way too…’

Feeling sad by the memories but at the same time there was warmth

‘I remembered some happy memories when you did that just now…’ Jaejoong said smiling touching his forehead ‘but I have a thermometer now, so I can do that myself…’

‘But then I think I’ll just look at the numbers and tell myself ‘look, I’m sick’’

‘And then I’ll think ‘I’m dying’, so I didn’t usually do it.’ Jaejoong said trying joking and making a happier atmosphere ‘it’s weird right?’

However he felt a warm embraced, it surprised him that the woman’s arms were around his shoulders and hugged him

‘you’re a good boy. You really are a good boy.’ The woman cooed like a mother.

Accepting the warmth and motherly feeling he was receiving, Jaejoong let the woman hug him, while feeling comforted by the memories of his past parents.

The hug lasted a few minutes before the woman let go ‘you best go home’ she said

Jaejoong smiled ‘Ani, I’m fine’ he said but coughs followed

The woman patted his back when he coughed ‘please’ she said hopefully

Seeing that the woman was really hopeful Jaejoong agreed.

-Jaejoong Pov-

-Home-

Just as I’ve reached home, my home phone rang

I let out a sigh ‘must be that demon wanting more food.’ I thought

I picked up the phone ‘Hello?’ I said

Jaejoong

‘eh Jihyo?’ I questioned

it was hard to heard on the other line but from the voice I knew it was Jihyo.

‘Where are you calling from? I can’t hear you clearly.’ I said

I have a work overseas, max is also with me. -Jihyo

‘What? Really?’ I asked surprised ‘is that why I haven’t seen you at the shop last few days?’

Neh. -Jihyo

There was a pause of silence

Byul called me. She’s been telling me what had happened. -Jihyo

‘what do you mean? What has been happening?; I asked confused

Even though Byul warned you, you still went ahead anyway. Didn’t you? -Jihyo

‘went ahead anyway? With what?’ I asked confused

You don’t feel well, right ?-Jihyo

Cough Cough

Each cough came harder after another, it hurt…my throat.

COUGH

COUGH

COUGH

I tasted something thick and bitter in mouth, and I felt it in my hand. Looking at my palm, my eyes widened….

Blood.

An eerie smoke surrounded me, not like those black dark ones…this one was light grey

It’s because you keep seeing that woman…-Jihyo

More coughs came before my sight went dark once again…but I could still hear Jihyo’s voice over the line.

Tears, Smiles, Promises.

You join together with that person. In that place… at that time.

Secrets. Memories. Confessions.

They tie you together , a stronger and gentler than before…

Partnership. Empathy. Compassion.

Joining together. Attachment. Tears…

I lost conscious.