Chapter 18

Behind The Cameras
The rest of the day was spent like a normal date. The temperature fell even lower and though he was dying of curiosity, Baro would rather stay in the comfort of the warm shopping mall then head back out to Namsam tower and freeze his nose off, something which you were thankful for. Ignoring the looks of his jealous or envious fans, you never once pulled your hand out of his as the both of you walked around the mall.
 
Eating, shopping and just happily chatting away, you had never felt so blissful in your entire time in Seoul. Walking out of the cinema hand in hand, you burst into another round of laughter. "That movie was most certainly worth watching!" You clutched onto your stomach and wiped away the tears that had formed in your eyes from laughing too hard. 
 
Laughing along with you, Baro came to a sudden stop.
 
"What's wrong?" Turning around, your eyes glanced over the crowd of people till you finally spotted what he was looking at. 
 
Among the many heads of shoppers stood his manager who was tapping on his wrist watch. It was time to go. 
 
"Wait for my call okay?" His warm hands cupped your cheeks as he kissed the top of your head. Clutching tightly onto the side of his jumper, you wished so badly that time could just stop at that very moment, so that you could enjoy being with him for a little while longer.
 
"Goodbye." You murmured when he finally pulled away. Slowly detaching your hand from his shirt you took a step back and forced yourself to wave back at him with a smile. 
 
Stopping in his steps, he spun around with a cute grin on his face. "See you soon jagi." 
 
Unable to say the same words back to him, all you could do was continue waving until he disappeared along with his manager into the sea of people.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
"Ahjushii!" Sliding the van door open, you hurried into the van and buckled your seat belt. The camera crew following behind you, while exchanging confused glances. 
 
Surprised by your sudden loud voice and your unexpected appearance, the driver jumped in his seat, his head hitting the top of the van with a loud thud. Wincing in pain, he rubbed the top of his sore head and turned in his seat to face you.
 
"Ahjushii i know i'm supposed to stay in the shopping mall until he calls me. But can you please take me back to Namsam tower? It won't make a difference to the filming anyway. Please! Once i leave the country i don't know when i'll ever come back to Seoul again." Clasping your hands together, you jutted out your lower lip, and prayed hard that your attempt in using ageyo for the first time would work. 
 
Sensing the urgency in your voice the driver pulled out of the parking lot without a word.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Panting heavily, you your lips as your eyes scanned all the various locks that were locked on the fence. There were so many similar star shaped locks that you almost gave up on your search, when your eyes suddenly spotted a green piece of paper that was fluttering in the wind. Recognising your own hand writing, you rushed over and carefully detached his paper from the lock by pulling it out. Brushing the snow off the bench, you sat yourself down and opened the neatly folded piece of paper, just as your phone vibrated in your pocket. 
 
Tucking the paper into your pocket, you swiped your finger across the screen and held the phone against your ear. Your heart thudded wildly against your chest at the though of what you were about to do. 
 
"I guess its time to tell you my decision now isn't it?" You nodded even though you knew fully well that he wouldn't be able to see it from the other side of the phone. "Well.. I want to be with you jagi, even after the show ends."
 
All of a sudden your throat felt dry. The words were just on the tip of your tongue and yet no sound came out of your parted lips. 
 
"Jagi?" All you could hear were the sounds coming from the phone, the rest of the world around you faded to nothing. 
 
You could hear him shifting around nervously in his seat and Jinyoung whispering softly in the background, enquiring curiously about your response. "It was nice being with you for the past two months Sunwoo. But I guess... I'm just better of as being your fan. Don't you think so?"
 
The other side of the line went quiet for a moment before he finally spoke up again.
 
"Is that really what you want?"
 
"Yes. Its is."
 
"If that's what you want then.. I guess this is goodbye. Take care jagi.." He said he'd stop chasing and he did. 
 
Handing the sponsored phone back to the filming crew you stood up and bowed politely. "Thanks for the hard work. It was nice working with you all." 
 
The crew members bowed back to you while you made your way back to the van. Once the van had started driving back to the hotel you pulled the piece of paper out of your pocket and unfolded it.
 
'Will you come to me now? Will you trust me? I will protect your heart and everything else.'
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
"He was the only one." Jieun spoke as she your hair soothingly. "The only one who stunned the PD's and his company because he genuinely wanted to be with you. It wasn't just for the cameras." 
 
Pulling the blanket up to your chin you squeezed your eyes shut, willing yourself to fall asleep and stop thinking of anything else. "I'm trying to sleep, unnie." 
 
Apologising, Jieun switched off the hotel lights and slipped under the blankets beside you. "You'll be alright sweetie. Just give yourself some time."
 
Her soft snores soon filled the quiet room while you stared blankly up at the ceiling. Even in your sleep you couldn't shake off the guilt that gnawed at you.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Time was suppose to heal all wounds. Or rather that was what you heard. It was also what Jieun had constantly said in an attempt to comfort you.
 
6 months had passed since you returned to your country and since you had last saw him, but still the longing in your heart showed no signs of lessening at any time soon.
 
Twirling your plastic straw around the cup of your smoothie drink, your fingers hovered above your laptop's keyboard hesitantly. The bell hanging above the cafe door jingled signalling a new customer. 
 
"If you miss him go and see him."You were too engrossed in your own thoughts that you hadn't even noticed Jieun looking over your shoulder until she spoke up, surprising you. 
 
Placing your hand over your heart, you closed your laptop screen. "Yah unnie you scared me." 
 
Laughing playfully, Jieun placed her bag down onto the spare chair and took a seat opposite of you.
 
"Sweetie." Reaching across the table, she gave your hand a gentle squeeze. "Just go and see him. He might not even spot you in the sea of fans. It's better than seeing you looking so down whenever you see a picture of him." 
 
Chewing on your lower lip you sighed. 
 
"You still love him, don't you?" She asked.
 
Flustered you looked away from her, a shade of pink colouring your cheeks.
 
Smiling knowingly, Jieun released your hand and lifted her cup of coffee that you had ordered before hand, up to her pink lips. "Then go and see him. If he does spot you and if he still has the same lovestruck look in his eyes when he sees you then give yourself a chance." 
 
You opened your mouth to protest but she was quick to cut you off by speaking again. "I've gotten over Sandeul but you haven't and clearly won't ever be getting over Baro. So if he loves you, then stop running."
 
A look of regret flitted across her face so quickly that you weren't sure if you had seen it correctly. One thing you were certain of, was hearing the sobbing sounds of your best friend, muffled through the wood of the door, when the breaking news of Sandeul dating an ulzzang had first broken out online. 
 
You had wanted so badly to to comfort her but knowing Jieun she would not have liked you to see the weak side of her. You knew then that she had just had been putting on a façade for the entire filming, building a wall around herself so that she wouldn't get hurt in the end. What neither of you knew was that she'd still get her heart broken. No matter how realistic she had been throughout the entire filming.  
 
Jieun's phone rang loudly in her bag and she quickly fished it out, answering the phone with a bright smile. "Okay i'll see you soon." Hanging up, Jieun smiled apologetically at you. "I'm sorry but I have to go. My boyfriend's waiting outside for me. I don't think i can make it for their concert. But you should go. Really." Grabbing her bag off the chair, she waved goodbye to you before walking out of the cafe and slipped into a bright red car parked outside. 
 
Finishing up your smoothie you couldn't help but wonder if things would have been different if you both had stayed on in Korea.
 
Unable to resist the urge, you flipped your computer open and purchased their concert ticket.