7

•coffee shop•
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7

Gloomy

 

♦ § ♦

 

 

Daehyun had grown up in the city’s orphanage. He wasn’t treated well, and he barely made it out alive. Basically, this ‘coffee shop’, or so it was called, was his ‘big’ break.

 

The orphanage he grew up in was so crowded and loud and unorganized—Daehyun felt strangled. The kids were all ruthless, uncivilized and dangerous. They had no control over their own auras because no one cared to teach them how. His life revolved around his own aura, because he studied at the library. He had never been exposed to anything like love before, and when he felt that blossoming between him and Youngjae within the first ten minutes of seeing each other, he felt the urge to keep it there. But he was afraid of showing affection. He was terrified of it.

 

He regretted not stopping Youngjae with his power. He could’ve easily kept Youngjae under control, but he didn’t. He didn’t want to scare him. His regret was fuel to his anger. His resistance to blame himself was immense, so he chose to blame it on Yongguk and Zelo, who played a role in the death of Youngjae.

 

Daehyun was a bright kid who grew up in the middle of a beautiful neighborhood at the edge of the city. His mother was beautiful; his earliest memory of the woman was listening to her sing him to sleep. She was a black blood like him, and he proudly carried around a talent that came from her: his voice. Daehyun could sing beautifully, his voice able to carry out any note with ease and effortless beauty. He was a master piece. His father was a faded memory. He was always working, but when Daehyun thought deeply, he could remember the smooth voice that belonged to his dad. Daehyun’s father was a grey blood, and like the color grey, Daehyun felt as though the man seemed to fade away with every second he was not by his side. He hated it. He wanted to remember his father the way his mother remained in his heart. He always tried to remember because he knew his dad was a kind man. But it was too late, because the only image of his father left, besides the blurry one, was the sight of his father dropping dead in front of him with a metal piece sticking out of his chest, as he tried to protect his small family from the falling equipment.

 

Daehyun remembered the moment vividly, for it haunted his dreams.

 

The building was beautiful. Daehyun was ten when he begged his parents to take him to the city where he had never been to before. His father laughed and gave in, promising his son that they shall go the very next day. His mom agreed and together, they rode the speed train to the city. The building they went to was a beautiful art gallery, where many ancient artifacts were displayed. Daehyun held his parents’ hands and walked, a bright smile on his face and his heart thumping in excitement. Daehyun felt so, so happy. And he knew now that the smile on his face was what made them both happy.

 

But what happened next was excruciatingly painful to Daehyun.

 

The machines in the building let go of their clasp on the walls, and they fell upon the ground with a force physically powerful enough to knock the statues out of place. The people ran, screaming, in all directions. Daehyun cried out, and held onto his parents tighter. His father led them out of the building, they tried to run, but it was too late. The building came crashing down, and the airborne bits of metal came towards them.

 

Daehyun’s father jumped in front of Daehyun and his mother, his arms spreading out wide to form a shield, but the city’s restrictions made his aura weak, breaking the shield with a loud shattering sound. Daehyun shut his eyes and covered his head with his hands. He felt warmth around him and he opened his eyes. He couldn’t hear anything. His saw his father in front of him, his eyes open and tears flowing out.

 

“I’m sorry, my son. I failed you…”

 

Daehyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter