Chapter 8

Love is Not Simply a Game of Point-and-Click

 

 

The cafeteria was filled with the sounds of the hustle and bustle of hungry students. Bom slowly chewed on her turkey and cheese sandwich.

“So how'd the tutoring date go?” Taehyun asked suddenly.

She nearly choked and grabbed her bottle of water while coughing. When she felt she had recovered from nearly choking to death she finally answered back.

“...It went fine.”

“Just fine?”

“Yup. Just fine.”

“Bullcrap.” Bom sighed.

 

“Ugh. Fine. It was a little rough at first... but he slowly got into it and we were both satisfied with the results. Happy?”

“Dude, that's what she said hahaha!” Mino interjected and then proceeded to be the only one to laugh at his own immature joke.

“Okay Mino that's enough from you.” Dara swatted playfully at his arm.

 

The group was gathered for lunch, sans their underclassmen friends as the two were using their lunch hour to meet up with some classmates for a group project.

 

“Are you sure nothing else happened?” Taehyun raised his eyebrows as he prodded Bom further for more details.

“What did you expect would happen?” Bom looked at him with confused look.

“Oh I dunno... sparks flying? Love blooming? Something you'd expect out of a cheesy teen romance drama?”

“Well sorry to disappoint you and your girly expectations but my life is not a teeny bopper movie.”

Taehyun stuck his tongue out at Bom and proceeded to wrap an arm around Mino's shoulders.

“Just because we're gay doesn't mean we're into chick flicks alright? Since when were you one to stereotype? Wow. Rude.” The brunette merely shook her head at the redhead's overreaction.

 

“But... I actually like chick flicks.” Mino meekly countered making Bom and Dara giggle. Taehyun slapped his palm against his face and slid it down while sighing.

“Yeah babe, I know but you're not helping my point here.” Mino simply replied by kissing the other boy on the cheek, quickly dissipating the other boy's frustrations. Dara pouted at the two boys.

 

“It's truly unfair that you two have what I believe to be one of the cutest relationships EVER.” She clasped her hands together and looked up towards the ceiling dreamily.

“When will it be my turn to experience a little romance? Even Bommie has her digital prince charming.” This caused Bom to choke on her sandwich for the second time.

“Can we please stop bringing up you-know-who into every single conversation?” The bespectacled-girl said in slight annoyance.

“Why not? You've practically been talking to him on YGO every night and I bet when you're not, all you can do is think about him.”

“T-that's not true!”

“Mmm-hmmmm...” Dara replied with a disbelieving tone.

 

Taehyun scooted over from his spot next to Mino and threw his arm around the flustered Bom's shoulders.

“Aww look at our Bommie. She's blushing.” He continued to by squeezing her adorable puffy cheeks in. Her eyebrows furrowed together making her look like a cute, angry goldfish.

“Ish hae yooh NNYUHTEH.” (I hate you NYANTAE) She tried to say with her lips scrunched up like a fish. The boy only laughed and ruffled her hair, continuing to upset her.

 

 

 

Jiyong was about to turn the corner and enter the cafeteria when he felt someone squeeze his arm.

“Oppa! Where have you been?? You haven't been replying to my text messages or calls for a week now. You've been acting weird since we ran into Seunghyun oppa and Daesung oppa at the mall.” In Na whined.

“Sorry. I've just been a little busy at home.” He threw his girlfriend an apologetic look and draped his arm around her.

“Busy? How can you be too busy to even acknowledge your girlfriend's existence?” In Na replied in slight annoyance. “You better not be cheating on me Kwon Jiyong.”

 

Jiyong tensed up slightly as he felt a drop of sweat roll down the back of his neck. Sure, he had been spending the last several nights talking with another girl but it wasn't exactly cheating...right? It was just a harmless game after all. It didn't mean anything.

“Relax babe. You know I would never do anything like that.”

The girl shrugged and flipped her perfect hair over her shoulder.

“That's true. I mean, I am the prettiest girl in school. Who could you possibly cheat on me with?”

“Right...”

 

Jiyong and In Na finally got around to entering the cafeteria and spotted the rest of the popular clique sitting at a corner of the large room. The cafeteria that was once rather noisy quieted down a bit once the couple had entered. The room was filled with hushed whispers. Seungri spotted them and waved them over. Jiyong raised his chin in acknowledgement and made his way over with the slim girl pressed up to his side. He leisurely sat on the cool surface of the lunch table and Seungri started talking to him.

So we were thinking for Chaerin's birthday...”

 

His attention was suddenly diverted when he heard a familiar, flustered voice. His eyes landed on the figure of Bom with her trademark side braid and large-framed glasses. She seemed to be what looked like being embraced by a dark-redheaded boy. Taehyun...was it? Jiyong was curious as to what the nerd was up to.

He couldn't hear their conversation but Bom and that guy seemed to be rather close. He had his arm around her and he was expressing quite a bit of skinship. Were they together? Like some kind of nerd couple? It almost bothered him a little... but he wasn't sure why.

 

...yong. Jiyong! Yah!!”

Jiyong was snapped out of his focus by the sound of Seungri's voice and the pain of also having been smacked upside the head by him as well.

What the hell man?!” Jiyong growled while rubbing the back of his head.

Dude, were you listening to me?”

Huh..? What? Sorry.”

What's up with you man? What are you looking at?” his friend turned his head. “Ah... it's that geek squad from back then.” He chuckled. “You still mad at that chick who talked back to you that one morning?”

Jiyong didn't feel the need to reply.

 

“Tch. Who do they even think they are?” In Na scoffed while rolling her eyes. “That glasses girl is just a big nobody that was probably just craving attention.” She suddenly turned to the blonde-haired boy.

“I have an idea! Why don't we play a little prank on her for revenge?”

Jiyong tensed up once again. “Nah, just forget about it.” The girl pouted.

“That's no fun! Come on, we can just rile her up a little bit and—”

“Just drop it.” Jiyong cut her off, surprising all but one person in their group. Youngbae raised an eyebrow at his best friend's sudden outburst.

 

“Hey... isn't that the chick that's tu—”

Jiyong also cut him off mid-sentence and abruptly got up to pull him aside. This garnered confused glances from the rest of their friends. Once at a safe distance away, he spoke with a low voice.

“Hey man, do you think you could keep the whole... tutoring thing a secret?”

“A secret? You mean you didn't tell In Na that Bom is helping you in math? You know if she finds out now she's going to freak.”

“Exactly. Nobody knows except you, my mom and my sister. You know how irrational In Na gets. I didn't want her going crazy about me being with another girl so I was hoping to keep it on the down-low. Could you do that for me?” Jiyong pleaded.

“Uh sure man, whatever you say.”

 

Youngbae could see where the other boy was coming from. His girlfriend could get pretty crazy and hotheaded when she wanted to. After agreeing, the two made their way back to their friends without saying a word. They continued on with their conversations as if nothing had happened. While Seungri, Seunghyun, Daesung and Chaerin understood that it was probably best not to ask about it, In Na was still wary. She really wanted to know what they were talking about with such privacy. She had a bad feeling about this. Something funny is going on here and I'm going to figure out what it is. She gave one last suspicious glance towards Bom before turning her attention back to the group.

 

 

 

After the lunch bell rang the hordes of students began filing out of the cafeteria. Once they exited, Jiyong gave In Na a chaste kiss before heading to his class. Once he was out of her view she immediately sought out Youngbae. She soon found him not too far from where the group had split. She gripped his arm tightly and dragged him into an empty hallway, nearly making the boy trip over from the sudden action.

 

“W-what's going on??” Youngbae asked, puzzled.

“Spill.” In Na demanded sternly as she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

“What are you talking about?”

“Don't play dumb with me. I want to know what you and Jiyong oppa were talking about during lunch today.” She stepped closer to him, causing him to step backwards and hit his back against the wall.

“Also, I know something is up with that geek girl. Oppa suddenly defending her isn't normal. What is going on?” she glared into his eyes.

Youngbae gulped. He couldn't betray his best friend after he had JUST promised him that he'd keep his secret... but man could In Na be scary.

“I d-don't know what you're talking a-about...” he cursed his voice for stuttering.

The girl squinted her eyes.

“Fine. You don't have to tell me.”

 

She suddenly smiled her sickly sweet smile and pulled her phone from her pocket. Youngbae started feeling really nervous for some reason.

“But it'd be a shame if those photos from last year's New Year's Eve party--where you got completely wasted and made a complete buffoon out of yourself--somehow spread all over the campus.” After pressing a few buttons and sliding through her pictures she finally held up the screen to his face.

Youngbae cringed at the horrible memory as it all came flooding in. She was being too cruel blackmailing him into giving her information. He internally sighed. I'm sorry Ji... Please forgive me but your psycho girlfriend drives a hard bargain.

 

...fine.”

So...?”

He inhaled a deep breath before initiating his betrayal.

So... a couple weeks ago Mr. Lee asked Park Bom if she could tutor Ji in math since he was having trouble and all. If he didn't receive help he probably wasn't gonna graduate. So Bom recently started going to Ji's house to give him tutoring lessons.”

In Na's jaw dropped.

WHAT!?”

She couldn't believe her ears. HER Jiyong was meeting up with that GEEK in private? And he even invited her to his own home! She felt her temper flaring as she started breathing deeply in anger and her hands fisted at her sides. Youngbae tried to calm her down.

Don't worry. There's nothing going on between them. It's purely for educational purposes.”

Educational purposes my . She just wants my Jiyong all to herself! That conniving little witch.”

The dark-haired boy was really scared now. He'd never seen this girl so enraged before.

She won't get away with this. And Jiyong too! How could he lie to me like that? It's no wonder he has barely been contacting me. He's probably been so busy with HER.”

 

Youngbae didn't bother to correct her on the fact that it wasn't like Jiyong was meeting up with Bom every day. He was pretty sure there was another factor distracting Jiyong from spending as much time with In Na.

 

And you.”

The boy pointed to himself in confusion.

Yes, you. Who else you idiot?” She shook her head. “This conversation... never happened. Do you understand me?” Youngbae slowly nodded his head.

Jiyong oppa can't know that I know about his lies and secrets, at least not yet.” He could see the gears turning in her head.

Not until I get my revenge... and I don't want oppa stopping me like last time.” The evil leer in her eyes further frightened him.

 

In Na finally backed off and composed herself. She gave one last glance of warning towards Youngbae, telling him that he better keep his mouth shut or else and her heels and left.

Once she was gone Youngbae let out a breath he didn't realize he had been holding in.

 

Ohhhhhh boy, Jiyong. I... may have just guaranteed your death sentence.”

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Kekeke what is that sneaky In Na up to? So sorry this update took forever. I got really sick and spent most of the past week napping and sneezing out buckets of mucus. (TMI?) D: I hope that this chapter (sort of?) makes up for it. I'm kind of building up for drama that I have planned out for future chapters so please look forward to it! ^^ Thank you all for being so patient with me. :D <3 ~UxT