Chapter 7

Love is Not Simply a Game of Point-and-Click

 

*A few days later*

 

Bom hummed happily while prancing down the hall to her locker. She didn't mind the odd stares she received from other passing students.

She halted with a final hop as she stood before her friends, beaming.

“Good morning yeorobun!”

“U-unnie... are you okay?” Minzy slowly backed away from the older girl.

“Of course I'm okay! In fact, I'm more than okay. I am FANTASTIC!” she suddenly pulled Minzy into a tight embrace.

“Uh... Dara-unnie. What's going on?”

Dara smiled. “Don't mind her Minzy-ah~ She's just been bitten by the love bug is all.”

“Love?? WHAT?!” Minzy stared aghast at the girl crushing her torso. HaYi brought her hands up to her lips in surprise as well.

Bom pouted back at Dara. “We're just friends. But we've been talking for the past few days now and have so much in common. He's... perfect.” She sighed.

“Aw unnie! I'm so happy for you! Where did you meet him??” Minzy broke out of the hug and grasped Bom's hands. “When can I meet him?”

“Well...uh... you see.... about that..”

“She hasn't even met him in real life yet.” Mino broke in as he and Taehyun walked up.

“What do you mean 'met him in real life'...?” HaYi softly inquired, turning to look at the two boys.

“Don't tell me...” Minzy spoke.

“She met him on YG Online.” Taehyun finished.

“You also forgot to mention that he already is in a relationship.” Dara added. Bom's shoulders fell at the reminder.

“Aigoo.... what are we going to do with you unnie? Falling in love with someone who's already taken? And on a game at that.” Minzy joked, not really helping lighten up Bom's mood.

“I told you we're just friends.” Bom replied. “It's just been nice to have him around to talk to recently that's all. I feel like nothing can bring me down!”

 

Just as Bom spoke, her pocket jingled with the sound of her cellphone having received a text message. She quickly fished it out of her pocket and slid her thumb across the screen. She let out a deep sigh, causing all of her friends to look at her with curious expressions.

“I stand to be corrected.” Sure enough, Handsome Prince Jiyong appeared on her screen. It really caught her by surprise since it had been several days since he had last contacted her about canceling their first session.

 

We can start 2day. I dont want 2 be seen on campus tho. Come to this address after school.

 

Below the message an address was posted, Bom assumed it was his home address as he didn't want to be seen being tutored in public.

Just as straightforward and to the point as ever, aren't you Jiyong?

Bom rolled her eyes and stuffed her phone back in her pocket. The rest of the gang looked at her with knowing looks. It was bound to happen sometime this week.

 

*RRRIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG*

 

They gathered their stuff and proceeded to head to their classes.

 

 

*After School*

 

Bom angrily kicked an unsuspecting pebble on the sidewalk as she made her way to the prickly prince's home.

Stupid Jiyong. Why do you have to be so stupid? Why can't you just do well in math on your own?

She continued to ask silly rhetorical questions to herself as she slowly approached a well-to-do off neighborhood. Large western-style houses lined the streets. They had to be at least ten times bigger than her smaller, more traditional home. She pondered what kind of people lived in these homes and what sort of jobs they had to be able to afford such lavish houses.

Bom looked down at the address on her phone as she slowed to a stop before what seemed like the biggest house on the street. It didn't even look to be a part of the neighborhood as there was so much space around it and it was walled off from the rest of the homes with a huge iron gate up at the front. A large letter 'K' stood menacingly on the gate.

The brunette's mouth slightly opened as she let out a small, “Uwah....” in amazement. She stepped up to the gate and approached what seemed to be an intercom. After inhaling a deep breathe and adjusting her glasses she pressed the button. It let out a long buzz and in a matter of seconds the voice of an older woman could be heard from the speaker.

Yes? How can I help you?”

Hello. My name is Park Bom. Uh... I'm here to see Kwon Jiyong?” Bom's voice shook with nervousness. Despite not being able to see a face from the other line, she felt as if the woman speaking to her was one with much confidence and sophistication. As to be expected of someone of wealth.

Why do you need to see my son?” The woman asked sternly. Apparently the woman she was speaking to was Jiyong's own mother. This did not help Bom's anxiety one bit.

I-I'm here to tutor him in math....ma'am!” The teenage girl stuttered.

Omo! I didn't realize! Please come in, I'll have the guard open the gate for you.” Bom was slightly taken aback by Jiyong's mother's sudden change in tone. Did she even sound.... excited? Soon enough, a man in a black suit with an inner-earpiece came out, unlocked the gate and slid it open so that she could enter. Bom bowed in thanks and quickly shuffled her way up to the front door of the massive house.

 

Before she could even ring the doorbell the door swung right open and a woman who seemed to be in her mid-to-late forties greeted her. Her way of dress definitely met Bom's expectations of sophistication.

It's so nice to meet you Park Bom-sshi!” the woman kindly ushered her into the house. She then called out into what appeared to be the living room.

Dami! Could you go get your brother? His tutor Miss Park Bom-sshi is here!”

A pretty young woman appeared before them. She seemed rather mature, perhaps a student in university? Bom was surprised at her close resemblance to Jiyong.

She must be Jiyong's noona.

 

Ne Omma~” She flashed Bom a kind smile and greeted her hello before making her way up the large staircase.

Bom could only continue to stare in awe at the beauty of the Kwon household. From the shiny marble floor a large ivory staircase winding up to her right, a large chandelier hung from the ceiling and various plants decorated the entrance. Aside from these details, the house was mainly decorated to the taste of a modern family.

 

Oh my, well aren't you pretty?” Mrs. Kwon's compliment brought her out of her awestruck state and a blush appeared on her cheeks.

T-thank you.” Bom stammered in reply. Mrs. Kwon merely smiled.

No need to be so nervous dear. I am so relieved to have you here to help my troublesome son.” Mrs. Kwon rolled her eyes at the thought of all the mischief her son has gotten into over the years.

I hear that you are a rather smart girl and receive the highest scores in your class.”

Yes... that's true. That's why Mr. Lee asked me to tutor your son.” Bom meekly replied.

How wonderful! Well Jiyong should be down soon. I'll head over into the kitchen and get some snacks ready for you two. You can't get much studying done on an empty stomach now can you?” The older woman turned and briskly made her way to the kitchen leaving Bom awkwardly standing in the entrance by herself.

Well... Jiyong's mom seems really nice and so does his sister. It's kind of surprising considering Jiyong's bad attitude. I wonder where he got it from? I wonder if his dad is the same way?

Bom pressed her palms against her cheeks as the remnants of her blush from earlier left her face feeling slightly warm.

 

 

*knock knock*

What is it?” Jiyong asked, pulling his headphones off of his head.

His bedroom door opened and his older sister's face peeked in.

Mom wants you downstairs. Your tutor is here.”

Jiyong's ears perked up at the mentioning of the spectacled-girl having finally arrived at his home.

She's here already?”

Yeah, she's waiting for you... I didn't expect her to be so cute though. Are you gonna try and get at that?” Dami waggled her eyebrows at her younger brother.

Shut up. She's here to help me in math and that's it.” Jiyong shook his head and got up from his chair. He exited his room while his sister headed to her own. He made it to the top of the staircase and looked down to see Park Bom standing there fiddling with her braid while curiously turning her head around. He noticed that even from his angle high up her long milky legs were very apparent from beneath her pleated uniform skirt. Jiyong shook his head and finally called out to her.

 

Hey nerd.”

Bom winced slightly and looked up begrudgingly at the boy wearing a simple black t-shirt and distressed skinny jeans on the second floor. You can do this Bom. Do it for your future. She bit her tongue and managed a smile while waving up at him.

Let's just get this over with. We're going to study in my room so hurry and get up here.” He demanded.

Bom huffed in slight annoyance at his 'superior' attitude but followed his instruction anyways. She quickly climbed up the stairs and eyed Jiyong directly in the eyes. To Jiyong, it felt as if the girl before him was challenging him with a bit of malice. He brushed it off and motioned for her to follow him to his room.

 

Jiyong first entered his room and held it open for Bom to enter as well. She hesitated a slightly.

Come on. Don't be scared. I don't bite... hard.” Jiyong said with a wink. Bom felt her face heat up but found enough strength in her body to finally proceed forward.

 

Once once she stepped in, Bom was overcome with the scent of his manly musk. She inspected everything she could lay her eyes on. Oddly enough, his room wasn't as lavish and over-the-top as she had expected of the most popular and rich guy in school. It was still a rather spacious room that was themed mainly with neutral colors and some shades of muted blues. There were a few signed posters of famous bands on his walls. A couple other doors could be seen and Bom assumed they led into a bathroom and a walk-in closet of sorts. He had a king-sized bed with dark, plush covers and a large flat-screen television mounted to the wall across from it. The room was so large it even had a sofa and coffee table in it.

The brunette was surprised that not only did Jiyong own a bookcase but it was actually filled with books! From what she could see briefly, they were all books on music and composing. It made sense as his father's company was an entertainment one and she supposed Jiyong had to do some research before he took over as the heir.

Something else caught her eye as something of intrigue. She noticed that on a fancy computer desk against the wall sat an even fancier computer. Bom immediately recognized it as a computer built for gaming. But why would someone like Kwon Jiyong need a gaming computer? Bom didn't dwell on the thought for long and figured he probably just wanted a really nice and expensive computer.

 

Do you like what you see?” The blonde-haired boy asked smugly.

Bom jumped slightly at hearing Jiyong's voice and quickly faced him. She coughed awkwardly.

So um... shall we get started?”

Yeah. We can study on this table I guess.” Jiyong pointed over to the area where the sofa and table were located. He grabbed two cushions from the sofa for him and Bom to sit on and tossed them to the floor.

 

Bom sat down carefully so as not to accidentally flash her underwear while in her skirt. I should have changed before coming here... she silently cursed herself. Jiyong took notice of her discomfort, immediately realizing why. He laughed to himself and walked over to his bed and pulled out a thin sheet from underneath the plush comforter. He walked back to the young girl and held it out to her.

Here use this. It's clean I promise.”

Bom was taken aback by the thoughtful gesture. She took the blanket from him and thanked him as he plopped down onto the cushion next to her. Perhaps Jiyong wasn't as bad of a guy as she thought he was. After draping the blanket across her lap she proceeded to pull out her math textbook and her writing supplies from her backpack. She cracked open the book to the section that they were currently going over in class.

 

So! What part of this do you not get?” she asked.

Jiyong looked at her with a bored expression on his face.

Everything.”

...”

Bom's expression turned grim.

...what do you mean... everything?”

I mean EVERYTHING.” He reiterated.

The girl sighed and resisted the urge to place her face into her palms.

Okay then... I guess I'll start from the beginning..”

 

*Two and a half hours later*

 

And so the answer to this problem would be...?”

Four times x over 4... minus nine times x² over nine... minus g times x?”

Yes!!” Bom wiggled excitedly from her spot on the cushion. “And how would you plot the difference on this graph?”

Like...this?” Jiyong stared intently at his paper in concentration as he drew out the lines.

Exactly! You did it! You finally solved a problem all on your own.” Bom celebrated what she considered as her own personal victory of teaching by munching on one of the delicious homemade chocolate-chip cookies that Mrs. Kwon had brought up for them a while ago. Sure, they had been working on the same sort of problem the entire time she had been there but hey... they were making progress.

 

Jiyong couldn't help but feel proud of himself for what he had achieved. It truly was a miracle.

It's so much easier to get when you explain it to me than when Mr. Lee does it. Maybe you should teach the class instead.”

Bom smiled and scratched the back of her head as her pride inflated.

Thank you, you're too much. But I am quite good aren't I?” She joked.

Jiyong chuckled at her response. He didn't think he could enjoy learning this much. Bom also didn't think that tutoring someone like him would be as fun as it was. They looked at each other and things became awkward once more.

Bom looked up at the clock and gasped.

 

Omo! Is that really the time??” She began gathering her things into her backpack. “Mom is gonna be expecting me to be home by now for dinner. I'd say we're at a good stopping point anyways. We'll continue next time.”

Oh uh, yeah sure.” Jiyong simply replied with the slightest hint of disappointment in his tone.

Once everything was secured away Bom swung her backpack over one shoulder and bowed slightly as she headed towards the door.

I gotta go now but please tell your mother I said thank you for the cookies!”

Yeah, no prob.”

 

Bom fumbled to twist the doorknob but was thrown off when she swung it open to reveal a surprised Mrs. Kwon and Dami behind it.

Oh! Mrs. Kwon! Dami-sshi! I was just heading out...” Bom's voice trailed off.

Already? Are you sure you don't want to stay for dinner?” Mrs. Kwon asked.

Thank you very much for your offer but my mom should be expecting me right now. I'm sorry.” Bom bowed to the two women quickly before briskly walking down the stairwell as fast as she could.

Alright then, perhaps next time!” Jiyong's mother called down.

Bom barely heard her as she slammed the door behind her on the way out.

 

Jiyong cleared his throat and his mother and sister looked at him as he leaned against the door frame with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

Well, she seems nice.” Mrs. Kwon pointed out.

Yup. She appears to be a very sweet girl.” Dami added.

Uh-huh... did you guys enjoy eavesdropping on us?” Jiyong asked raising one eyebrow with a suspicious look.

Wha... eavesdropping? Us?? Pssshhh... don't be silly.” Dami replied nervously.

Yes... I have no idea what you're talking about.” Their mother said.

Right.” He shook his head. “Well I'm hungry, is dinner ready yet?”

Ah, dinner, yes. It should be just about done. I'll go check on it.” Mrs. Kwon replied as she walked towards the stairs.

I'll uhhh go check on it with her.” His sister said as she followed their mother in tow.

 

Jiyong just rolled his eyes and laughed. He knew the women of his family all too well.

 


______________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Hey everybody! I'm slowly getting back into the groove of updating regularly again. I hope you liked this chapter. I skipped the actual math explanations because it has been years since I last took a math class and I hate math so.... XP... yup. See you guys next time~ Thanks for subscribing if you have and just for reading my story in general! -UxT