Prologue

Love is Not Simply a Game of Point-and-Click

 

 

Bom huffed and puffed as she sprinted towards her front door.

 

I am running LAAAATE! She thought frantically as she fumbled around her uniform blazer pockets for her keys.

Hurry Bom! Everyone must be getting impatient.

She let out a celebratory “A-ha!” as she held up her house key and jammed it into the lock to open the door.

 

Omma! I'm home!!” she yelled into the house as she briskly kicked off her shoes by the door.

Welcome home, sweetheart. I made some of your favorite cornbrea—”

Later mom! It's time.” Bom interrupted as she raced upstairs to her room. “I'll-eat-it-later-thanks-mom for-all-your-hard-work-see-you-for-dinner-love-you-'kay-bye!”

 

Bom's mother sighed and looked over at a table near the entrance. She picked up a picture of what seemed to be a family portrait of a younger version of herself with a dashing young man. In his arms he held an adorable 4 year-old Bom. She chuckled softly to herself.

 

Dear, I blame you for her turning out like this. She got this from you, you know?”

Mrs. Park smiled and placed the frame back down on the table. She dusted off her apron and made her way back into the kitchen.

 

 

Meanwhile, upstairs Bom quickly threw open her bedroom door and flung her backpack onto her bed.

 

Sesshy-sama, Ichinose-san, Riku-kun I'm back!” Bom cheekily smiled up at the various anime and videogame posters pinned to her wall.

 

The auburn-haired girl made her way to her computer desk and pressed the button to power it on. She hopped over to her closet as she tried to shed her uniform as fast as possible and pulled on an oversized t-shirt and cotton shorts. She then pulled her long, silky locks up into a messy bun.

She plopped down onto the rolling chair before her computer desk and adjusted the large spectacles resting on her face. When she was finally presented with her desktop screen she quickly clicked on an icon that read “YGO” and then another that read “RaidCall.”

As she waited for the programs to pop up her eyes drifted to the side of her desk. There, a smaller version of the family portrait that was found downstairs stood displayed in a childish hand-made picture frame. Bom reached over and the image with her thumb.

 

Appa... I'm home.” she said softly.

 

 

It was only a few months after that picture had been taken that Bom's father was ripped from her life. He had suffered from lung cancer for about a year before he departed this world. Bom was four years old at the time. She was at the age where her father was her everything, her hero, her knight-in-shining-armor, and she was his little princess.

Bom's father was an engineer. He shared a love of technology and all things geeky, nerdy and fantastical. Of course he shared this love with his princess. They would spend hours together huddled in front of either the television or the computer, playing videogames and watching films of fantasy. It came to no surprise that soon enough, Bom found herself loving these things just as much as her father did.

 

 

Bom's musings of her father were interrupted when she heard a “bleep” from the computer and a little window popped up in the corner of her monitor. One side of her lips quirked into a smile as she pulled her large headset over her head and adjusted the microphone to be level with . She dragged her mouse across the desk and clicked on the tiny microphone icon located at the bottom of the window.

 

[RaidCall chat]

SandaRabbit: “Where have you been Miss Spring??”

LadySpring: “Mianhae yeorobun!! I got a little sidetracked on the way home. I'm here now!”

NyanTae: “Took you long enough. We were gonna start our dungeon runs without you!”

LadySpring: “HAH. I'd like to see you try. You know you need my power to even make it through the first floor.”

Bom crossed her arms across her chest confidently.

HugeboyMINO: “She's got you there Tae. Even with your stats we still need her mad DPS(1) to kill those golems in time...”

NyanTae: “Wha?? Mino how could you betray me like that? You make me QQ(2).”

A feminine chuckle was heard from another line.

SandaRabbit: “Okay, okay you guys. Spring just get on already we've been waiting!”

LadySpring: “Yeah yeah I'm logging in now...”

 

Bom's fingers quickly flew across the keyboard as she entered her account information at the log-in screen of YG Online. The screen swiped into a character selection screen where the image of a slender, red-headed figure in majestic robes smiled back at her. She clicked on the character and in a matter of seconds she was finally in.

Bom adjusted her glasses once more and cracked her knuckles.

 

Lady Spring is baaaack in the gaaaame.”

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Hi everyone! I hope that you guys are liking it so far. Hopefully in the future, transitions between in-game actions/chats and real life actions don't get too confusing for you guys. I'll try to make it as clear as possible. I will also have definitions on some terms that some people might not understand. I'll try not to get too nerdy on you guys... >___<; Please look forward to the rest of the story! (Also bonus points to those who can spot the 2NE1tv reference :P)

(1) DPS = damage per second. Which basically means doing a lot of damage very quickly.

(2) QQ = Tae literally said QQ as “kyu-kyu” which is referencing the Q_Q face for crying.