Chapter 3

Love is Not Simply a Game of Point-and-Click

 

The the sound of high school students chattering filled the cafeteria. Starved teenagers pushed and shoved their way through the lunch line, desperate to find sustenance for their empty stomachs. In the corner of the cafeteria sat Bom and her group of friends.

 

Dara curiously poked the shoulder of her friend as she lay with her forehead flat onto the lunch table. A gloomy aura had been surrounding her since she had last seen her in their math class that morning. Dara was concerned as to what was ailing the girl.

Uhh... Bommie. You okay...?” She received a loud wailing groan that was akin to the sound an angry bear would make.

Is... that a yes?” Dara joked while throwing an unsure look to their friends sitting around them.

Bom let out a muffled weep.

I'm DOOMED.”

Unnie, what's wrong?” Minzy asked.

The distressed girl finally raised her head, a red mark from the table imprinted on her forehead. She frowned as she recalled the events of earlier that morning.

 

*Three hours earlier*

 

WHAT?!”

 

Bom couldn't believe her ears. Her eyes looked in horror at her math teacher as if he had grown a second head. She tutor HIM? Him of all people! No way, not in a million years! Pigs would fly before she would ever willingly help out a pompous jerk like Kwon Jiyong. What could have ever possessed Mr. Lee to ask something like that of her? Was he asking for her death sentence?

Hell no.” Bom flinched when Jiyong fiercely spat out his opinion on the matter.

I don't need that nerd's help on anything!”

While the comment did sting a little, Bom simply nodded in agreement in hopes of convincing their math teacher.

Jiyong, I was being very serious earlier when I said that your graduation is at risk here. If you can't pass this class then you will not be receiving that diploma at the end of the year. The only solution I can think of is if you receive tutoring from the best student in class.” Mr. Lee responded as he gestured towards the horrified Bom.

Mr. Lee, surely you can find someone else to tutor this jer—Jiyong.” Bom caught herself before she insulted the most popular guy in school right in front of his own face.

Besides, I'm kind of busy these days so I don't know if I'd even have time to tutor anyone.” Technically it wasn't a huge lie. Having to squeeze in tutoring time would cut out time in her YG Online schedule...

 

The teacher turned to Bom, knowing very well that she was more than capable of helping out the boy. He looked down at his desk and began shuffling the pile of papers that were sprawled about.

Is that so Miss Park? That's a shame because I was going to offer you a great proposition should you choose to help out your fellow classmate here. I think it'd benefit you greatly in your future educational endeavors.” He eyed the young girl from the corner of his eye, hoping she would take the bait.

 

...proposition?” Hook, line, and sinker.

Mr. Lee smiled a cunning smile.

Park Bom, I hear you're hoping to study engineering after you graduate am I correct?” The brunette nodded.

I have many connections with some great engineering schools in the country. I'm sure that with a letter of recommendation from a certain someone you could get in no problem.”

Bom felt go dry. A letter of recommendation to be accepted into one of the finest engineering programs in the country? That would be a dream come true. Mr. Lee drove a hard bargain.

 

Jiyong looked at Bom, surprised. This chick an engineer? I really wasn't expecting that. I thought that all girls wanted to grow up and find a rich and handsome husband. Jiyong was extremely astonished that she didn't want to live her life as a stay-at-home mom that just cooked, cleaned, and made babies.

 

A-actually... Mr. Lee... I think some time just opened up in my schedule.” Bom stuttered as she hesitated to accept the offer.

Perfect.”

 

The plantinum blonde-haired boy could only watch as Bom and Mr. Lee exchanged words over whether or not he would be receiving her help. Uhhh... hello? Did they both forget that I already REJECTED the offer? But still, he couldn't deny that he was well aware of the fact that he might not be able to leave high school. His hand squeezed the strap of his backpack as he thought about the exam he shoved inside. If he could manage to do well in this class, maybe his mom would finally lay off him for once. Jiyong his chin in consideration.

There was also the other bonus to consider. Being tutored by Bom meant spending one-on-one time with her. He wouldn't mind using the chance to sneak a few glances at her surprisingly well-proportioned body...

She's still a huge geek, Jiyong. Don't get any weird ideas. He mentally reprimanded himself. Still, the thought of being tutored wasn't entirely a bad one.

 

I'll just make a note in my planner here to remind me to get that letter of recommendation started for you Miss Park. Now if you could just convince Mr. Kwon here that you can hel—”

I accept.”

Bom whipped her head around, her eyes bulging out. She hadn't expected him to accept her help so easily. He was vehemently rejecting only moments ago. What had caused him to change his mind so suddenly?

That's fantastic.” Mr. Lee grinned. He finally dismissed the two to make plans of when they would be meeting up for tutoring.

 

Jiyong led the way out and Bom closed the classroom door behind her, sighing.

Give me your phone.” The blonde demanded.

...what?” Bom said, caught off guard.

I said, give me your phone.” Jiyong repeated. “I thought you were supposed to be smart.”

Bom mentally grumbled as she pulled her phone out of her pocket and slowly held it out for the boy. He quickly snatched it from her grasp and pulled out his own phone. She watched as he scrolled through her phone and input what she assumed was her number into his own. Then he typed something into her phone as well. He returned her phone back to her.

I'll text you tomorrow when's a good time to meet up. I'm a busy person so don't bother trying to negotiate.” Bom was appalled at his rudeness.

See ya. Nerd.”

Jiyong flashed her a wolfish smirk before he turned around and disappeared down the hall.

Stunned, Bom looked down at her cellphone in her hand. She scrolled through her contacts and nearly fell over when she saw what he had saved his number as.

 

....

 

Handsome Prince Jiyong

 

.

 

 

Was it too late to reject the offer?

 

 

*Back to current times*

 

 

Man that totally .” Mino stated while stuffing fries into his mouth.

Tell me about it. I don't know what I was thinking accepting his offer. UGGGHHHH!” Bom rustled her hands in her hair in frustration.

First, my big mouth talks back to him in the hall before class. Then I'm coerced into tutoring the jerk in my favorite class—which will probably make it NOT my favorite class anymore. It's as if all the stars are aligning and all natural forces are working against me.”

...It can't be too bad unnie...” The soft-spoken HaYi the despaired girl's back.

He can't be that terrible right...?”

 

Bom faced the ever-so-naive, sweet and innocent freshman. She hadn't been in school long enough to understand the self-centered demon that is Kwon Jiyong.

Maybe not...” she reassuringly lied as she grasped the concerned HaYi's hands in her own.

I'm sure it'll all turn out okay.” And by okay I mean, I will still have most of my sanity by the time this whole ordeal is over.

Not wanting to moan and groan about her impending doom any longer, she changed the subject.

 

So what's the plan for later guys?”

If you're talking about the game I won't be able to play today.” Dara replied, poking at her salad. “I have a lame family gathering to go to tonight. So no runs today guys, mianhae.”

Taehyun shrugged. “It's cool. We should probably take a short break anyways. We were at it all weekend. This will be the perfect chance for me to catch up...”

On your cats?” Mino chuckled.

No!! I was gonna say that I'll finally get around to finishing Attack on Titan, okay?”

Riiiight... you won't be spending your evening watching cat videos, NyanTae.”

Taehyun threw his hands up in the air.

Guys, really? Why do you all continue to call me that outside YGO?”

Sorry Tae, but it's just so fitting.” Mino laughed as he swiped Taehyun's phone from his pocket. He turned it on from sleep mode, revealing a picture of a fat, fluffy, gray tabby cat sleeping as his wallpaper. He went on to unlock the red-haired boy's phone to reveal that all of his icons were also cat-themed.

You have a problem.” Taehyun quickly grasped his phone back and swatted at Mino playfully.

S-shut up!”

If only you'd give me as much attention as you do your cat.” Mino whined cutely showing off his aegyo. Taehyun replied with his own cuteness by sticking his tongue out with a 'Mehrong!' garnering a smile from the tan boy.

Ugh, your cute couple-ness makes me wanna barf!” Bom jokingly commented as she pretended to upchuck her sandwich. I swear those two have more aegyo in their pinkies than I have in my entire body.

 

They were startled by a sudden outburst from the short-haired girl next to them.

OMO OMO OMO!! Guys check out this awesome new Gundam that just came out in Japan!” Minzy exclaimed excitedly as she waved her phone around. “It's a 1/48th scale Mega Size Model! It comes with the beam rifle, shield AND two beam sabers UGH! It's so beautiful...” she said as she wiped a non-existent tear from her eye.

I need to get my hands on it somehow!”

The others laughed at Minzy's Gundam-obsessed antics.

 

*RRRRIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG*

 

The cafeteria was once again filled with the loud chattering of students as they tossed out their trash and headed to their next classes. Bom solemnly trudged out of the cafeteria behind her friends not really looking forward to the rest of her day. She really just wanted to go home and cry into her Totoro pillow...

 

_____________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Channeling my inner cat-lady through Taehyun. I hope you guys don't mind XD I'm really liking how this story is turning out so far and I hope you guys are too. I have so many ideas that I want to add but I can't until I actually write more of the story... >__< See you all in the next chapter!

I wasn't sure if I really needed any footnotes in this chapter but just in case, Attack on Titan is an (amazing) anime. Also, the Nyan in Taehyun's in-game name(IGN) is the Japanese translation for the sound of cat meows. And of course, Gundams are... well Gundams. Feel free to comment any questions you may have about some of this stuff. -UxT