Chapter 4

Love is Not Simply a Game of Point-and-Click

A/N: So as I read your comments I noticed that some of you get a little confused about the video game talk. I'm so sorry, I wish I knew how to make it easier to understand since it's a big part of this fanfic. >.< Also as a forewarning, there's an incredibly geeky fantasy scene in this chapter so hopefully you guys get it. Thank you all so much for reading and I hope you enjoy!

 

______________________________________________________________________________________

 

After arriving home and changing out of her uniform, Bom flopped onto her bed exhausted. She reached out and grabbed her Totoro pillow. She placed it over her face as she let out a long, disgruntled groan. Today had been quite the day for her and it only paved the way for the “exciting” days to follow.

She sat up, contemplating what to do for the rest of the day. She needed to get her mind off of school and not think about him.

Her eyes caught sight of her computer. Just because everyone else probably wouldn't be playing YG Online today didn't mean she couldn't do a little solo action. After finally deciding, she pushed herself off her bed and seated herself at her desk and her computer. Perhaps slaying a few dragons would make her feel better...

 

*At the Kwon residence*

 

Jiyong slowly opened the door to his family's large mansion. He tried to make as little noise as possible as he didn't want to alert his mother that he was finally home. When he felt the coast was clear he slowly tip-toed his way up the grand staircase located at the entrance of their home.

 

Nice of you to finally come home son. School ended three hours ago.” Mrs. Kwon stood at the base of the stairs with her arms crossed across her chest.

Oh... Omma. I didn't know you were home already. Where's Appa?” Jiyong asked nervously.

Cut the nonsense Kwon Jiyong. I know you had a math test last week which means you should have received your score by now.” Mrs. Kwon tapped her foot on the marble floor.

Well? Where is it?”

 

Jiyong's hand tightly gripped the strap of his backpack.

You see... about that uh... Mr. Lee didn't give them back yet—yeah! He said he was so busy this weekend that he didn't have enough time to get them all graded.” Jiyong stammered.

His mother squinted her eyes with scrutiny but then smiled a sickly sweet smile.

That's funny, because I received a call from Mr. Lee earlier today saying how he was so glad you were finally accepting help for the failing grade you received.”

Jiyong's eyes widened. ...crap. A slight snarl escaped his lips. He would go and call my parents. That Lee is a dead man.

As disappointed as I am to hear about your grade I am glad that you will be receiving the help recommended by your teacher.” Mrs. Kwon relaxed a bit.

Who will be tutoring you? Do I know the student?”

 

Jiyong rolled his eyes at his mother butting into his life once more.

Probably not, she's just some geek that gets the highest scores in my class.”

Mrs. Kwon's eyebrows shot up.

She? Oh my, and you say she does well in your class?” Mrs. Kwon excitedly clapped her hands together. “You should invite her to tutor your here in our home. I would love to meet her! She could even stay for dinner.”

Jiyong eyed his mother knowing her sudden mood changes all too well.

Stop what you're thinking mom. Invading my educational life is one thing but PLEASE stay out of my love life.” he scoffed. His mother pouted, feigning being hurt by his words.

Arasseo. Interrogation over, you're now released.” Jiyong's mother said as she shooed her son to go back to his business.

 

Jiyong shook his head and he continued his way up the staircase. His mom could be a tough woman, but she wasn't uncaring. He just wished she'd out a little more.

Once he entered his room he hung his backpack on a hook behind his door. Quickly, he discarded of his uniform to the floor and any accessories he had worn that day onto his dresser. Then he changed into a t-shirt and some sweats. He plopped into his huge, plush computer chair and leaned his head back and closed his eyes for a few moments.

Today was such a weird day. First, he got woken up way too early by a text from Seunghyun so they ended up going to school earlier than usual. Then, he ended up running into the geek squad and that Park Bom chick dared to laugh in his face.

The icing on the cake was not only finding out he failed another test, but that he was going to have to receive tutoring from said daring girl. He slapped his palm onto his forehead and slid it down his face. He needed something to get his mind off it all... and he knew exactly what.

 

Jiyong leaned towards his computer and powered it on. His fingers tapped impatiently on the desk as he waited for it to boot up. When it was complete he immediately clicked on the icon that read “YGO.”

Yes, Yllyria Generation Online. He, the popular and handsome Kwon Jiyong that had women swooning at his feet. He, the wild and reckless Kwon Jiyong that was known for going out and clubbing. The real truth is, he would much rather drink a cold beer in front of his computer and play MMORPGs(1). He used to play them a lot as a kid and never stopped since. There was something about immersing himself in a digital world of fantasy that allowed him to escape the trials and tribulations of the real world. He could be himself and not what others expected him to be.

The only people who knew about his real side were his family and his best friend Youngbae. He didn't dare tell anyone else in fear that they'd think lower of him. He had a reputation as a ruthless playboy to upkeep after all.

After logging into the game he selected his main character. A high-leveled assassin that wielded two sharp blades in each hand. Jiyong stretched his arms above his head and popped his neck. It was time to get to work.

 

*Back at the Park residence*

 

Bom sat hunched over her desktop with a slice of bread hanging from . She was completely absorbed into the game. As strange as it sounded, she always felt as if she was in the game herself rather than controlling her character from her keyboard.

 

(From here it'll be a 3rd person POV inside the game. It will be a different color from normal, real-world POV so hopefully it's easy to tell which actions happen where. Hopefully the switch to in-game names isn't too confusing for you guys. >.<—also this is different from their RaidCall voice chats. The dialogue here is what they type, not speak into a microphone.)

 

LadySpring spoke to the village chief. He told her of a horrible reptilian-esque creature that has been tormenting their town for quite some time now. It lived in a dark cave deep in the forest on the outskirts of the village. He begged the Elementalist(2) before him to do something about it before he destroys everything and everyone.

She accepted his quest and began her journey to the scaled beast. She was a little worried about tackling this mission all alone. Perhaps she should have waited on the rest of the gang before attempting it. LadySpring simply shook her head and pulled her ivory cloak's hood over her head. Elementalists were known for being some of the strongest magic-users in the game. She could probably handle it... right?

The red-headed magic-user finally reached the mouth of the dark cave that the village chief spoke of earlier. It was pitch black inside. Chanting a few words, LadySpring cast a small fire spell in her palm to serve as a torch. She slowly entered the cave, not sure of what to expect.

After walking for a while she found herself at what seemed like another entrance into a large cave room. With caution, she inched her way inside. She made her way around the round room, searching every nook and cranny. But no sign of any reptilian beast.

That's strange. Did someone kill it already? I guess I have to wait for it to re-spawn. Bom pouted.

Little did she know that looming over her head in the dark cave crawled the large, scaly form of the infamous Basilisk(3), King of Serpents. He quietly watched the mage as she eyed her surroundings. He set himself in a stance, prepared to pounce on his prey.

Something was off. The redhead could sense something wrong. She definitely wasn't alone in this gloomy cave. A small pebble suddenly dropped down from above her, landing by her feet. She gulped and slowly turned her head to the ceiling. With a loud hiss, the Basilisk leapt at her and attempted to swipe at her body. She reacted quickly and dodged out of the way, falling over a few rocks.

Damn... I knew something was amiss. Bom thought as she scrambled to get her character back on her feet.

She gripped her magic staff tightly as her eyes glowed a fiery red. She jutted her arm out, staff in hand, shooting out a massive stream of fire. The flames struck the Basilisk square in the chest, knocking him down momentarily. LadySpring eyed the monster's HP bar(4) that finally appeared above its head. Her eyes widened in dismay when she saw that only a small fraction of his health had been drained.

She cursed herself and how much she overestimated her power. This battle wasn't going to be easy. The reptile was fast, she barely dodged his first attack. She took off into a sprint, hoping to get around him and maybe striking him in the rear for bonus damage. Summoning several ice spears, she shot them at his back, only draining a minute amount of health once more.

She continued to dash around the monster, sneaking in hits here and there. She was so preoccupied with running about that she didn't realize that she was backing herself into a corner. The scaled beast caught her off guard and managed to smack her hard against the cave wall. The Basilisk was narrowing in on her fast but there was no opening for her to escape.

Bom's hands froze on her keyboard and mouse as she braced herself for impact.

Suddenly, a black blur appeared before her eyes as it slashed down from the air down onto the Serpent King's face, causing him to stumble backwards. The elementalist quickly bounced back into action and used this opportunity to cast a long poisoning spell that would slowly drain the monster's health over time.

The mystery figure maneuvered their way around the beast with much agility. He must have been of the Assassin class. He continued to slash continuously at the Basilisk's weak points with the two blades he held in each hand. The two continued to volley their attacks back and forth until the large lizard grew weak. LadySpring charged up one last fire spell and unleashed it, destroying the last of its life.

The Basilisk faltered before it fell over, fading away. A golden chest along with a bag of gold coins remained where it died.

LadySpring let out a huge sigh of relief. She made her way up to the stranger who stood beside all of the loot.

 

LadySpring: Um... thank you uh....

She eyed the name above his character.

LadySpring: GDragon?

What kind of a name is that?

 

The man turned to face her and she was finally able to get a better look at him. He was clad in a tight black leather suit with straps and buckles adorning his legs, arms and chest. A long red scarf lay draped mysteriously around his face, covering most of it. She saw that he wielded two intricate daggers in each of his hands. His spiky-styled hair was platinum blonde. It almost reminded her of a certain someone's hair...

 

GDragon: That was dangerous. What were you thinking challenging a Basilisk alone like that?

LadySpring: I... thought I could handle it. <_<;

GDragon: Tch, well you sure handled it pretty well. Leave it to Elementalists to think that they can do anything. -_-

LadySpring: Excuse me?? That was a mistake on my part but I thanked you already, okay?

GDragon: Uh-huh. Well thanks isn't enough for this assassin. I'll be taking half of your loot now. Thank-you-very-much.

LadySpring: What?! That's not fair... T_T

GDragon: How is it not fair? I totally saved your back there. If it weren't for me, you'd be lizard lunch.

The elementalist pouted.

 

LadySpring: How about this? ...I keep all of my loot... and we add each other as friends. You can call me to help you whenever you need some more manpower? ^^

The leather-clad man looked as if he was considering the offer.

 

GDragon: Okay, sure. I wouldn't mind having an occasional magic slave.

LadySpring: Really?? ...you accepted that pretty quickly.

GDragon: I'm all about connections. This game can get pretty tough so you gotta make the right friends if you wanna get anywhere.

LadySpring: Hmph. You have a point there I suppose. Well, put her there new friend!

She held her hand out for the man to shake with his own. He hesitated a little before lightly shaking her hand but she grinned back at him nonetheless.

 

LadySpring: I look forward to working with you Mr. GDragon.

GDragon: Yeah... same to you LadySpring.

LadySpring: Well, I must be on my way to turning in this quest now! See you around~

GDragon: See ya.

 

The young girl picked up her items and gold. She then made her way out of the cave and headed back towards the village.

 

*Back in the real world*

 

Bommie, sweetheart! Time for dinner!” Mrs. Park called from downstairs.

Bom signed off the game after completing her quest. She thought about the stranger-turned-friend that she had met only moments ago. He reminded her a bit of someone she knew but couldn't quite put her finger on it. He seemed like an interesting person. Perhaps he would want to join her and the gang on their future dungeon runs, he proved to be strong and could be beneficial to their team.

The brunette shrugged her shoulders and got up from her chair. The smell of chicken stew wafted upstairs and her stomach growled as her nose caught a whiff. She danced happily and proceeded to skip down the stairs for dinner.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Sooooo what do you guys think? I know the whole in-game POV is a little weird but please bear with it. It was the easiest way for me to write those scenes out without it being ultra confusing. Finally, Jiyong and Bom meet as their digital selves GDragon and LadySpring. What will happen from here? See you guys in the next chapter! -UxT

 

  1. MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game

  2. Elementalist = a class of magic-users that cast elemental spells such as fire, water, ice, lightning, wind, etc.

  3. Basilisk = Legendary reptile thought to be the King of the Serpents

  4. HP bar = Health Point bar. A bar that appears typically above the heads of monsters and characters letting you know how much life they have left