Chapter 2

Love is Not Simply a Game of Point-and-Click

 

Bom turned around in her front row seat to face Taehyun who sat behind her. Mino was sitting to his right and Dara sat to her right. They were all juniors but as per their “nerd” titles, they were able to skip a level in math and were directed to the senior math class.

 

So like I was saying earlier.” Taehyun spoke “I think that if we want those weapons we're gonna have to increase our IDR's(1) even if by a small margin.”

Dara leaned in and nodded in agreement.

The drop rate on those are close to non-existent. Do you think it'd even honestly help?” Mino questioned, not really convinced of the younger boy's idea.

IDR potions don't come cheap man.”

It's funny you should mention that. I know a merchant who can get us some for half the price.” Taehyun leaned back into his chair and crossed his arms over his chest proudly.

I've had to rescue him out of a few sticky situations involving Lycanthropes(2). So he owes me BIG time.”

Bom's eyes formed happy crescents as she reached over and ruffled Taehyun's 5:5 parted hair.

Aigooo! That's our NyanTae!”

Taehyun's eyes bulged out of his sockets as he clapped his hands over .

Yah!! Noona don't call me that out in public.” Taehyun's eyes darted around the room hoping that no one heard what she had called him.

Bom smacked his hands away and rolled her eyes.

Oh calm down will you? Nobody's paying attention to our 'geek talk'. Besides, I think it's an adorable nickname for an adorable cat lover such as yourself. And where do you come off calling me 'Noona'??”

She began swatting at him playfully. He brought his arms up in defense and whimpered.

I'm only a few months older than you, you punk!” she giggled.

 

Jiyong sat in the back of the classroom with his legs propped up on the desk in front of him. He had planned on just messing around with his phone while waiting for this boring class to start when he overheard the geek squad up front chatting excitedly over something.

His ears perked up but he couldn't hear exactly what they were talking about. Something about potions... owing favors? What the heck where those guys talking about?

Not wanting to appear curious by leaning in closer, he settled for staring at their facial expressions.

Well... her facial expressions to be more exact.

He watched as Bom's face started out with a dead serious expression as she listened to what Taehyun was talking about. She glanced at Mino with a concerned look. Then her face quickly lit up with an adorable smile as she ruffled the hair of the boy facing her.

Jiyong grunted uncomfortably at seeing her affectionate actions. This caught the attention of his best friend, Youngbae.

 

Ji, what's up?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

Nothing.” Jiyong quickly replied, somewhat absentmindedly.

He continued to watch, his temper slowly flaring as he watched the reddish brown-haired boy place his hands over Bom's mouth. He turned his head around nervously. Jiyong's curiosity piqued further, wondering what the boy was so anxious about.

He felt a bit of jealousy well up inside him as Bom smacked the boy's hands away and began playfully hitting him as she giggled sweetly.

 

Cute...

 

He shook his head.

What's wrong with you Ji? She's a huge NERD. He reached one hand up to rub his temples.

You've got yourself an H-O-T hot girlfriend. Why are you getting all flustered by 'glasses' over there?

 

Youngbae stared at Jiyong as he acted out his amusing inner turmoil.

Jiyong. You sure you're okay? You've been acting all weird since you've started staring at Park Bom over there.”

Jiyong snapped his head to his best friend.

What are you talking about? I-I wasn't staring!” he defended.

Hmm... didn't really see you as liking the smart-types but hey, I don't blame you. She's got some pretty nice legs on her.” Youngbae chuckled. “Although I have to say, her friend Dara is much cuter in my opinion.”

The other boy threw him a disbelieving glance.

Whatever man. I wasn't looking.” he continued to claim as he went back to fiddling with his phone.

Youngbae just rolled his eyes. Suuuure...

 

The entire class sat upright and in attention as the teacher, Mr. Lee, finally made his appearance. He instructed the class to open up their textbooks as he pulled up his class roster to take roll.

Bom quickly spun around in her seat and reached into her backpack for her textbook. She always anticipated math with delight. She loved it so much and it was an essential building block if she hoped to study engineering in the future just like her father.

 

Jiyong continued scrolling through his phone, not caring for his surroundings. He found math so drearily boring and couldn't stand it one bit.

...Jiyong.”

I mean, who even uses high school math in real life anyway? So pointless.

Kwon Jiwong...”

Why can't we have classes that teach us useful things like, how to impress managers at a company during interviews? Tch, not like I'd have to worry anyways since I'm just inheriting the family business but I'm sure a few of these knuckle-draggers could do with a lesson or two.

KWON JIYONG!”

What do you want?!”

Jiyong's eyes snapped up and found everyone in class, including the teacher staring at him with surprised looks on their faces. Mr. Lee cleared his throat.

A simple 'Here' will do Mr. Kwon.” Jiyong's upper lip curled in annoyance.

Tch, whatever... here.”

Mr. Lee let out a sigh.

Mr. Kwon if you plan on graduating this year I suggest you get your act together in this class. I doubt your family would allow a high school drop-out to take over their company.” Despite the insult his warning fell on deaf ears.

The teacher shook his head and continued on with taking roll.

 

Bom stared at the blonde-haired boy, a miffed expression on her face.

God, even when the guy couldn't care less he always has to be the center of attention, doesn't he? She rolled her eyes as she faced towards the front of the class once more.

Her expression brightened when she heard Mr. Lee call her name.

Here!” she replied cheerfully as her hand shot up.

Always as enthusiastic for math as ever, are we Miss Park?” Mr. Lee mused. She simply grinned.

What a ing teacher's pet. Jiyong thought bitterly.

 

The class went on as usual with most of the class zoning out in a matter of minutes. Only a certain few would answer to Mr. Lee's questions including the four group of friends up front. As the last ten minutes of class drew closer the teacher pulled out a manila folder.

Okay class, so I have your graded tests from last Friday. Most of you did... okay. Some of you did very well.” He glanced at Bom and her friends. “And some of you... well, I need to talk to some of you after class.”

He started making his way through the rows of desks handing out the tests to their rightful owners. Bom held her breathe as the stapled pages were laid face-down onto her desk. She inhaled deeply as she slowly flipped her exam over.

Dara, not being able to take her best friend's exaggeration, spoke up.

Yah!! Park Bom! You know you already did well, stop stalling!” Mino and Taehyun giggled behind them.

Bom pouted and finally flipped it over. In red ink a big 100 that had been circled looked back at her. Her shoulders bunched up as she danced excitedly in her seat. She turned to her friends and gave them a thumbs up. They held up their own exams that garnered scores in the high 90's and also gave her a thumbs up while smiling proudly.

 

Meanwhile, groans of disappointment could be heard in the back of the classroom. Jiyong couldn't help but feel the slightest bit of anxiety as Mr. Lee made walked closer and closer to the back. He heard his best friend next to him heave a sigh of relief when he saw that he had barely scraped by with a C- on his test. Jiyong gulped when the teacher finally reached him.

Mr. Kwon I'd like to speak to you after class. Please come up to my desk when the class ends.” he said as he placed the test face down on his desk.

Jiyong lifted up the edge of the papers and spotted his score at the top of the front page. A red 58 glaring at him.

.” He dropped his head low. Mom and dad are gonna kill me.

 

*RRRIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNG*

 

Jiyong grumpily stashed the failed exam into his designer backpack and slung it over one shoulder. He looked up at Youngbae.

I'll catch up with you in a bit. Mr. Lee called me up to his desk.”

Youngbae nodded and waved as he left the classroom.

See ya man.”

 

Bom carefully placed her papers into a folder and slipped it into her backpack. Omma will be so proud of me when I get home! Maybe I can use this to bribe her into letting me have grilled corn for dinner tomorrow night... The young girl salivated at the thought.

She started to head out with the gang but was flagged down by the teacher. She told her friends to go on without her and that she'd meet up with them at lunch.

What's up Mr. Lee?” she asked as she fiddled with the end of her long braid.

Park Bom-sshi. I must commend you for your efforts in this class.” She felt her face heat up from the praise.

I-it was nothing sir. I really enjoy math... and your class!” she stammered, embarrassed.

That's exactly the spirit I was looking for. I'm so glad to hear that. You see, the reason I stopped you is because I'd like to ask a favor from you.”

A favor...?” Bom tilted her head in confusion.

Mr. Lee's eyes darted behind her. “Ah! Just the person I wanted to see.”

 

The brunette curiously turned her head to see who Mr. Lee wanted to see so much. Her eyes widened in horror when she realized who it was. Jiyong rubbed the back of his head as he approached the desk and avoided looking the teacher in the eyes.

What'd you need to talk to me about?”

Well now that I have both of you here I can just explain it to you both simultaneously.” Mr. Lee rested both of his elbows on his desk and his chin on his knuckles.

But Mr. Lee I thought you needed a favor from me?“ Bom questioned.

Yes, well Mr. Kwon here is the one I need the favor for.” The two teens tossed each other surprised glances.

Jiyong is in dire need of your assistance, Bom.”

Um... I'm sorry, what? I don't recall needing any assistance for anything. Do I look disabled to you??” Jiyong harshly spoke.

Bom tugged at the end of her braid nervously. I don't think I like where this is going...

Oh but I think you do Jiyong. Bom, I would greatly appreciate it if you could tutor Mr. Kwon here in math.”

 

Both of their jaws dropped as they screamed in unison.

 

 

WHAT?!”

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Oh no, what is poor Bommie to do? (personally, I would have taken the offer without batting an eyelash) What's in store for Gbom? Tune in to find out! -UxT

(1) IDR = Item Drop Rate. IDR potions increase your chances of getting drops from monsters. (technically I should have used Rare Item Drop Rate but OH WELL)
(2) Lycanthropes/Lycans = humanoid animal shape-shifters. In most cases in games I've seen them as werewolves.