Chapter VIII

Depths of Love

I awoke to the smell of food wafting from the kitchen. I was still at the table and many plates of food were sitting in front of me. I looked up to see Soo and mama Soo already eating away. I joined in with them until my stomach was so full I couldn't eat any more.

After dinner I followed Kyungsoo to his room so we could talk more privately.

"So Kai and I went to the top after school today. Sehun was waiting and we told him you might not see him for a while because you got caught. He also said that he'd wait for you every day until you came back." Kyungsoo smiled.

All I could do was smile uncontrollably. That was one of the sweetest things someone could do. It was like a real love story.

"You're so in love." Soo beamed.

We talked for the rest of the night until I found myself talking to a sleeping Soo. He looked adorable in his sleep, and I could see why Kai was always so gentle with him. I wondered what Sehun would be like with me he were a merman as well, or if I was a human. I decided soon that I'd go back to the top and see him, even if I got caught again. I wished I could swim away from all of this and be with him. Thinking of all this made me fall asleep easier.

In the morning, Kyungsoo wanted me to wake up and go to school. He sometimes acted like my mom, but I reluctantly followed him out the door. I was hoping to avoid Krystal all day, but unfortunately she caught up to us before Kai did.

"Hey Luha-"

"Krystal! Can you seriously just leave me alone!? I don't like you, and you're ruining my life!" I yelled.

She looked really hurt, but at least I got my point through. She swam away in a hurry and Soo turned to me.

"Woah, that was harsh."

I have him a look and he laughed.

"It needed to be done, though." I said. "Maybe she'll finally leave me alone."

"Hey guys."

He swam up to us and put an arm around both my and Kyungsoo's necks.

"Krystal just swam by crying, it was so funny." He laughed.

Kyungsoo and I looked at each other and laughed. Kai asked us why we were laughing, so Kyungsoo told him what I said to Krystal.

"Nice one!" Kai said.

We all went to school in a better mood. Throughout the day I felt like there was someone watching me, but whenever I looked around, there was no one. I desperately wanted to go to the top after school, but I couldn't afford to get in trouble. I didn't know what would happen to me if I did.

A few days passed before I finally felt like no one was spying on me. I decided to take the risk and go to the top. I'm not a morning person, so I decided it would be easier to go before night. I told Kyungsoo what I planned on doing and he didn't like my idea.

"Luhan, I really don't think you should go. I don't want to see you get in trouble again. And who knows what would happen this time."

"But Soo, I miss Sehun. I want to see him. I just want to run away with him."

"If you run away I'll never see you again, though." Kyungsoo frowned.

"I won't run away." I sighed.

Kyungsoo managed to smile at me but I couldn't muster one up anymore. It was so long since I last saw Sehun, I could barely remember what his face looked like or how his voice sounded.

"But I am going tonight." I said quietly.

I devised a plan that could fool Kyungsoo into letting me leave without suspicion. I told him I should go try talking to my mom and clear everything up with her. He offered to come, but I turned his offer down, letting him know I needed to do this myself. He wished me luck, and I headed out the door with a smirk on my face. Sometimes he could be so gullible.

Since it was getting late, many people were heading home for the night, which gave the perfect escape if anyone was watching me. I moved from crown to crowd until I was at the edge of town. I took one last glance behind me before swimming out toward the top.

As my head popped out of the water only meters away from the rock pile, the cold night air hit my face. I knew that if I sit in the rocks, the air would make my wet body feel much colder. Thankfully I didn't have to wait long. I could see the boat Sehun drove coming towards this way in the distance.

"Luhan!" He yelled with a smile when he saw me.

"Sehun!" I replied with an even bigger smile.

I pulled myself up in the rocks while Sehun stood at the edge of the boat not far from me.

"It's been so long. What happened to you?" Sehun asked.

"I got caught talking to you so people were watching me, making it so I couldn't come see you. But I slipped past everyone today." I told him.

I had a slight smile on my face, but it disappeared as a gust of wind blew, making me shiver.

"Luhan, are you cold?" Sehun asked me.

"A little bit." I confessed.

I looked at Sehun to see him removing his jacket. He handed it to me and I took it, but looked at it strangely. Our clothing greatly differed from human clothing. His jacket felt very soft as I figured out how to put it on. It definitely kept me warmer.

"Thank you." I said.

"You're welcome." Sehun smiled.

Something inside me wanted me to ask him how he felt about me, but I was nervous. I knew he liked me, but how much was that like?

"Is there something on your mind?" Sehun asked.

"A lot actually." I whispered.

"You can talk to me about it if you want."

I paused as I searched for the right words to say.

"I'm just really scared and nervous." I said at last.

"Why?" Sehun asked.

I looked at him debating if I should tell him everything or not. I was quiet for a minute before speaking again.

"I just think I really like you, and I'm risking my life right now, so if you don't like me...I don't know what's going to happen."

Tears were threatening to come out of my eyes, but I held them in. I didn't want to breakdown in front of Sehun.

He didn't say anything for a while. I was getting nervous. Maybe I shouldn't have told him that. I bit my lip and looked around, waiting for him to say something.

"Luhan, could you come here?" He asked.

I was taken aback by his request, but complied. I jumped in the water, forgetting all about the jacket. I grabbed the side of the boat to hold myself in place.

"Sehun, I'm sorry. I forgot I was wearing your jacket." I said as I looked down at myself.

"Luhan." He said.

I looked up at him just as he leaned down to kiss me. I was taken by surprise. One of his hands were in my half wet hair as our lips moved in sync with each other. At this moment I fell in love and there was no going back.

As our lips parted, I looked up at him with eyes bigger than Kyungsoo's. He smiled down at me.

"How was that for an 'I like you too so stop worrying'?" He asked.

"I...that was...nice." I blushed.

I was still in shock and I couldn't think straight. My head was spinning and my heart was beating so fast. I ducked under the water for a second to see if that would help my situation at all, but it didn't.

Sehun grabbed one of my hands that were on the side of the boat and held it in his. The warmth from his felt nice and soothing. I never wanted to let go.

"Will I see you again tomorrow night?" He asked.

I nodded with a smile on my face. He leaned down and kissed me again before letting go of my hand.

"Oh, wait. Your jacket." I said as I slipped out of it in the water.

"You can keep it if you want." He said.

"I would, but I really can't. This would only give proof that I met with you again and they would probably kill me."

Unfortunately I wasn't joking. He took his now soaking jacket back and waved before leaving. I smiled as I made my way back to Soo's house.

I wanted to tell him so badly, but I knew he would probably be mad since I lied to him. I wondered if maybe I should actually go try talking to my mom. The idea scared me a little, so I decided to put it off for now.