Chapter IV

Depths of Love

My eyes opened as wide as they could. I couldn't believe Kai just said that. Kyungsoo rushed over to Kai and hit him again.

"Stop! That hurts!" Kai said.

"How could you do that to Luhan! It's like you don't even care about his feelings!" Kyungsoo screamed at him.

I could feel tears coming and I couldn't stop them. I couldn't even look at Sehun. I just wanted to go home. Instinct took over and I dove under the water, swimming as fast as I could to get away from everything. I heard Kyungsoo scream something as I swam away.

Everything was now a blur. I swam home as fast as I could, alarming my mom when I darted to my room.

"Lulu? Is something wrong?" She asked.

"I really hate Kai!" I said.

"Why? What happened?" She asked.

"Just go away mom, please."

I knew she'd want to have a talk about it later but I just couldn't bring myself to speak right now. I laid on my rock for a long time. My friends stopped by, but mom told them I wasn't feeling well enough to talk. I definitely wasn't going to want to go to school tomorrow. Some time passed and I fell asleep hard.

Mom woke me up for school, but my red, blotchy eyes let her know I wasn't up for school today. She sat next to me and held my hand.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" She asked.

"Kai is a big jerk." I said.

"Why do you say that?"

"He probably just blew my chances with someone because of his big mouth." I said.

"Honey, don't be so hard on him. It was probably just a mistake."

"A mistake? He knew what he was doing and now Sehun probably thinks I'm a loser." I cried.

"Sehun? Is he someone in your class?" Mom wondered.

"Uh...yeah." I mumbled.

"Does this mean...?"

"I just told you Kai ruined everything!" I yelled.

"Honey, I'm sorry." She said quietly.

She got up and kissed my cheek then left my room. I closed my eyes and started to fall back asleep, but someone started to shake me awake.

"Kyungsoo?" I opened my eyes.

"Luhan, please come to school. Kai is really sorry about last night." He pleaded.

"Well he really messed up. I'm not going." I said as I crossed my arms.

"You're acting like a child." Kyungsoo said.

I glared at him and he shrugged. He was waiting for me to make a move, but all I did was lay back down.

"Get up Luhan!" He said as he pulled me up.

"Fine! You're worse than my mom sometimes." I grumbled.

I followed him out of the house to school. It was a little awkward not having Kai in the group, but I had to remind myself I was mad at him. As soon as we went into school, Krystal came up to me.

"Hey, Luhan." She smiled.

I said nothing as I looked away from her.

"Boy, you don't look so good." She pouted.

I still said nothing and I could tell it was making her feel a little awkward. She put her hand on my face and kissed my nose before she swam away.

"Get better!" She called.

When she was out of sight, I wiped my nose clean of her touch.

"Wow." Kyungsoo said.

I nodded in agreement. No other words needed to be spoken. Kyungsoo and I continued on our way to class and sat next to each other. I noticed Kai wasn't here yet. Just before class was about to start, he rushed in with a bag in his hands and sat on the other side of me.

"Luhan, I'm sorry about yesterday. I hope this makes up for my actions." He handed me the bag.

I peeked inside to find some of my favorite sweets, some of which could only be bought from other towns.

"Thanks Kai!" I smiled.

He knew just how to make everything better between us. I had a better attitude for the rest of the day, thanks to him.

On our way home, Kyungsoo asked if I was going to the rocks again. I wasn't sure if I'd be up to it after what happened yesterday.

"How can I? He already knows I'm not human and I still don't know what to say to him."

"Maybe he has a thing for mermen." Kai said.

"Kai, it's not funny. There's a possibility that he could get caught." Kyungsoo said.

"Then I guess we'll never know if Sehun fell in love with Lu after all." Kai sighed.

All the talk got me down again. I really wanted to go, but Kyungsoo had a good point. If Sehun told anyone we were mermen, we might never be seen again if we went back to the top.