Chapter XI

Depths of Love

The morning of my expulsion came and my emotions were going crazy. An official stopped by to check on me, and explained he'd be coming back later to get me.

The day seemed to progress quickly. In no time, I was sent back to town hall. I was nervous and the thought of the plan failing scared me. I sat on a pedestal as more and more people gathered. In the crowd I could see Kai and Kyungsoo, along with Soo's mom and mine. Some neighbors and other faces I recognized were also there.

"Today we have come here to recognize unlawful behavior amongst our citizens. The laws we put in place are not a joke, and will have serious consequences." The leader said as he swam around me.

"Young Luhan has commit crime of the law by going to the surface and interacting with humans. His punishment: death."

Some people looked at each other and whispered back and forth.

"Are there any last words you have to say Luhan?"

"I just want everyone to know that I love you and I will miss you. Please don't forget about me. Maybe someday we can meet again." I said.

Little did he know of the plan, so that all sounded like a farewell speech. Mama Soo chimed in, chanting my name.

"Let Lu go! Let Lu go!"

My mother joined, followed by Kai and Kyungsoo.

"Let Lu go! Let Lu go!"

As the chant got louder and louder, more people joined in. That was what we hoped for, but we didn't know it would happen so quickly. The leader looked like he didn’t know what to do, so he sent some officials out to hush the crowd. Many people put up a fight which distracted the leader, who joined to help calm the crowd. Kai and Kyungsoo slipped past him and helped me free from where I was sitting.

"We've got to move fast." Kai said.

We swam as fast as we could toward the surface of the water. Sehun's boat wasn't that far away. I hugged Soo and Kai for possibly the last time.

"I'll miss you guys." I said as tears threatened to leave my eyes.

"Don't talk like that, Lu. We'll see each other again soon." Kai said.

"Lu you better go, I think I see people coming." Kyungsoo warned me.

I waved goodbye as I swam over to Sehun's boat.

"Hey," he smiled. "Are you ready?"

I held my hands out of the water for help getting in his boat. He gently pulled me up and sat me in a seat before he started the boat. I could see Kai and Soo swimming away in the distance. The heads of angry mermen popped out as the boat peeled away from them. A tear rolled down my face, but I was smiling. This was really happening.

"Luhan, how long can you stay out of water for?" Sehun asked once he parked the boat in the boat dock.

"As long as I want." I smiled. "My fin will secrete mucus on it to keep me hydrated when I'm out of water for a long time."

He looked at me in amazement. I could tell he had more questions he wanted to ask me, but we had other things that had to get done first. He told me to wait in the boat while he pulled his car around for an easier escape. Who know what would happen if someone saw me.

Sehun came back on the boat several minutes later. He picked me up the way humans call it "princess style" and quickly carried me to his car. I hadn't been this close to him before, but now my arms were around his neck as his arms held me close.

He strode toward the vehicle and gently placed me in the front seat next to himself. I had never been in a car before, so it was interesting. Sehun buckled me in, which was weird. I never had anything hold me in place like that before.

I looked back out the window as Sehun pulled away from my home. I sighed deeply. I was a little scared. Sehun noticed my mood and grabbed my hand.

"Everything's going to be okay. I just have to figure some things out." He said.

"Like what?" I asked curiously.

"Well, I'm sure you'd still like to be in the water, so I have to clean my pool. I also have to get a wheelchair or something so you can move around when you want."

I didn't understand what he was talking about because some words I never heard before. I simply nodded my head to let him know I was listening.

"Do you want to listen to music?" He asked me.

I nodded my head. I was curious to hear how different human music is from mermaid music. I watched as Sehun pressed a button and twisted another. A loud, interesting, clash of sounds came from somewhere and encircled us. The song was more upbeat with lyrics that were too hard to follow and understand, but I liked it.

Several songs later, Sehun pulled into a driveway and turned the music off. We were at his house. It was so big and beautiful.

Sehun helped me out of the car and carried me princess style once again. I secretly enjoyed being this close to him. On the inside, he sat me on the table and we could see each other eye to eye now.

"Welcome to your new home." He said with a smile.

I smiled back and looked around from where I was. His house seemed even bigger on the inside. I looked back at Sehun and he grabbed my hands.

"I really hope you like it here, because I really like you."

I took my hands back and brought him in closer for a hug. As he hugged me back, I put my lips to his ear and whispered to him.

"I love it here, so I think I love you."

He slowly released himself from the hug and put his lips against mine. My heart beat madly in my chest. My lips move instinctively with his and I could feel him gently playing with my hands. His tongue poked at my lips so I opened my mouth slightly. His tongue moved around inside my mouth, a feeling I cannot describe. Our tongues collided and swirled around each other. When he began to lightly on my tongue, it surprised me and I moaned a little. I could feel Sehun lips from a smile on mine and I blushed.

"I think I love you too." Sehun said.