Chapter V

Depths of Love

I decided not to go for a few days and to try to forget about Sehun. It was best to leave those thoughts behind, but it was hard. My friends tried to distract me, but seeing them happy together made me think about Sehun and become even sadder.

Two days passed since I went to the top and it was driving me crazy. Krystal came to bug me more than usual and I had gone to school as well. I was done with it all and decided to go to the top, with or without my friends. They didn't want to go, but were afraid for me and wished me luck.

I slowly popped my head up out of the water. I was a distance away from the rock pile, but I could clearly see a figure waiting atop one of the rocks. I carefully swam closer and noticed it was Sehun. My heart skipped a beat, but I had to remember to be cautious.

"Sehun..." I said quietly.

His head moved around, searching, until his eyes met mine. He smiled and waved, wanting me to come closer. I really wanted to, but I had to hold back.

"Why did you come back?" I asked him.

"You...you're a mermaid." He said.

I nodded, keeping my eyes locked on him.

"I just think that's amazing. No one has ever seen real mermaids before, but here I am." He smiled.

The carefree way he talked made me ease up a bit. Something inside me told me he wasn't going to be bad.

We stared at each other for a long period, with only the sound of waves crashing on the rocks and seagulls squawking near the shore.

"Your friend said you liked me." He stated after the long period of silence.

I hid my face in the water and he laughed. I was probably blushing real bad, and that gave it all away.

"I do." I said quietly after I recollected myself.

Sehun smiled and motioned for me to come closer again. I shook my head. No matter how much I wanted to be closer to him, I couldn't risk my own life.

"Why won't you come closer to me?" He asked.

"I can't." I said.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I swam all the way out here; I have nothing to hurt you with." He said.

"You have your hands." I pointed out.

"That is true, but why would I hurt you anyways? I have no reason to." He said sincerely.

For some reason, I trusted his words. I didn't feel threatened at all by him. I made my way over to him slowly, and then helped myself onto an adjacent rock, next to him. From here, he could see all of me. My fin was barely half in the water and the water dripped off my bare chest.

"You're beautiful." Sehun whispered in awe.

My lips formed a smile and I covered my face from blushing. Sehun's eyes trailed all over my body, leaving nothing unseen. While his eyes were fixated on me, I took the liberty to glance at his body.

His skin was a bit pale, and he was quite thin. His hair was dark, probably from being in the water. When I looked at his eyes, I found them staring back into my own.

"Have you ever been this close to a human?" He asked.

"No. My friends and I watch people from afar, though." I confessed.

He was staring at my fin again, so I lifted the rest of it out of the water.

"You can touch it if you want." I said.

He looked excited, but carefully placed a hand on me. His hand slid down my wet scales and he looked mesmerized.

"It kind of feels like a fish." He said with a smile.

I desperately wanted to see what legs felt like but I was too afraid to ask. I sat with my mouth slightly ajar as if I was debating on asking, but he offered to let me touch his legs.

I put my hands right above his knee and slowly moved toward his foot. I thought that having toes was interesting, and Sehun laughed, but I had never seen them in person. This was all new to me.

"We're so different, yet so alike." I said.

"A mermaid." He repeated, still amazed.

"But you can't tell anyone!" I said in a higher pitched voice, making him jump.

"It'll be out secret." He reassured me.

I realized now, that it was about time for me to head home. I didn't want anyone to worry about me, and I definitely had to tell Kai and Kyungsoo about everything.

"Sehun, I should probably go..." I said.

"That's a good idea. I need to get back to shore as well." He said.

My next moves were quickly planned in my head, or maybe I just acted on instinct. I quickly leaned over and kissed him on the cheek then jumped into the water to swim home. Little did I know that he lingered in that spot with his hand in his cheek before swimming back to shore.