Chapter VII

Depths of Love

I didn't know how much time had passed in my sleep, but when I woke up, I guessed it was quite early. The room I was in was claustrophobically small. There were no windows and the only source of light was from glowing ink plastered on the walls. I put my ear to the door to see if I could hear anything, but all I heard was silence.

How long was I going to be here? The longer I thought about it, I realized I was extremely hungry. Was I even going to get fed here? What was going to happen to me? Too many questions shrouded my mind, but a large rumble from my stomach made them disappear.

"I'm hungry!" I complained aloud.

The pain in my stomach grew worse and I huddled into a ball in the floor. I began to hum a nameless tune. Some time passed, and finally someone opened my door.

"Luhan, come with me." The voice said.

I got up and made my way out of the room. I followed the merman down the corridor into a larger room at the end. I immediately recognized the leader of our community.

"Luhan, please sit." He said, waving his hand toward a chair opposite of himself.

"So, Luhan. I've been informed of-"

"I told you already that Krystal is trying to set me up." I interrupted.

"Do not talk about my daughter in that way or interrupt me." He warned.

Once he said that, I realized he would never believe me if I brought up the time Krystal followed me to the top.

"As I was saying, your outings to the top are not something that you should continue doing. Is there a reason why you have gone up?" He asked me.

I immediately thought of Sehun. Thinking of him made me less tense, but I couldn't just say it was all Sehun.

"I like to lay on the rocks and feel the warmth of the sun on my body." I said.

"Ahh, it is a wonderful feeling, I agree. Do you know why you aren't supposed to go to the top?"

"If someone sees us, the worst they can do is kill or showcase us." I said, reciting the rule from memory.

"Well then why were you found with a human?" He asked.

I didn't have an answer.

"Well?" He insisted.

"We met by accident." I blurted out.

"An accident." He repeated.

He sat, rubbing his chin in thought. I didn't have the guts to look at him anymore, so I stared at the ground.

"Well Luhan. I know you don't mean harm, and since this is your first time, I'll let you go with a warning. You will be monitored from time to time, so make sure it doesn't happen again. If it does, the consequences will be much worse."

"Thank you." I mumbled.

"You can leave now." He said.

I got up and rushed out of the castle. All I could think about was getting some food now. I stopped at the snack shack and ate twice as much as usual. I debated on going home, but I figured mom wouldn't allow me to come home now. My only choice was to go to Kyungsoo's house.

I walked in feeling a little unsure. The past few hours still had my heart pounding.

"Luhan!" Kyungsoo's mom said in surprise.

"Is it okay if I stay here for a while?" I asked.

"You've stayed here before so I don't see why not."

"I meant like...a few days, maybe longer." I said.

"Oh. That's fine with me. Is everything okay?" She asked.

"Not really."

I looked around the room for Kyungsoo but he wasn't to be found.

"Kyungsoo is at school."

"Right." I said.

"Luhan, do you want to talk?"

I was quiet for a moment before spilling everything to her.

"I got caught at the top the other day because Krystal follows me and spies in me but she doesn't get the fact that I don't like her. I had the best day ever with Sehun too and she ruined it for me." I said quickly in anger.

"I see. Well I don't know what to tell you about Krystal, dear. Do you want to tell me about your day with Sehun?"

I smiled as I recalled the memory. Mama sat her head in her hands and looked at me with big eyes as I told her everything.

"When I got there, he was already waiting for me. I was trying to stay on guard, but I eventually sat with him. We talked a little bit and I got to touch his legs and he touched my fin. It was interesting. And..." I paused to cover the giant smile on my face, "I kissed him on the cheek before I left."

"Lulu!" She cried with excitement.

I was blushing all over again and I couldn't stop smiling. Mama Soo gave me a hug with a smile as big as mine.

"Are you hungry?" She asked.

"I actually just ate." I confessed.

"Alright."

I sat at the table, watching her move around the kitchen as she prepared a meal for herself. I was thinking about Sehun again, with a smile on my face. I imagined being able to walk on land with him and hold his hand anytime I wanted. I wanted to run away and be with him forever.

I didn't realize I was actually sleeping until I was being woken up by Kyungsoo.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Soo asked.

"I can't go home." I said sleepily.

He said nothing more and let me fall back asleep. It was almost insane how much sleep I had gotten in the past few days, yet I still found myself tired.