Chapter X

Depths of Love

All eyes were on me suddenly, and I was getting nervous. There was no way I was caught again, was there? I got up and followed them out the door. I then followed them to the town hall. They led me to a room with the leader and I knew this meant bad news.

"Sit, Luhan." The leader said.

I obediently followed his order. Sitting in that chair made me feel so tiny.

"Do you know why you're here?" He asked me.

"No." I said in a quiet voice.

"A little more than a week ago, we talked about your expeditions to the surface. I told you not to go back to the top. I also explained that you would be watched from time to time. Today you are here because you failed to follow my orders."

"What?" I asked.

"What do I need to repeat for you?" The leader asked.

"How do you know I went to the top?" I asked in a high pitched voice.

"Luhan, I have my people. We are always watching."

I sat in the chair, shocked, and with nothing to say. I couldn't believe I was caught, again.

"What's going to happen?" I asked, frightened.

"Last time I told you the consequences would be worse. Death,” He paused, “Is the only way."

My heart broke. I was going to die. I sat frozen in time, remembering Sehun. I'd never get to see him again now.

"Tomorrow at dusk there will be a death ceremony you will die. You have the rest of today and some of tomorrow to do as you please. You may leave."

At his last words, I jumped up and left the building. I was really going to die. I zoomed back to school even though I knew there was no point in trying to learn anything.

"Kyungsoo!" I cried.

I grabbed into him in the hallway and started to cry.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"They...caught me. I'm...going to…to die." I stuttered.

"What?" He gasped.

Kai came up behind him. He was smiling but as soon as he saw my face, his smile disappeared.

"What happened? Who do I need to hurt?" He asked.

"Kai, they're going to ing kill me!" I screamed.

His facial expression went from anger to dread. His mouth slightly hung ajar and he wasn't able to utter a word. My crying stopped, and now my mind was stuck on one thing: Sehun.

"I've got to go see Sehun." I blankly said.

I turned to go, but Kyungsoo grabbed my arm.

"Luhan, wait."

"Wait? You want me to wait while I waste precious minutes of my life?" I questioned.

"Luhan, I really hate to say this, but, maybe you really should run away. If Sehun likes you as much as you say he does, then maybe you can work something out with him."

"You really think so?" I asked.

Kyungsoo nodded and I looked at Kai who nodded as well.

"We'll really miss you, though." He said.

"I'll miss you guys too." I said as I pulled them in for a hug.

"Don't worry Lu," Kai said. "We'll get you through this."

We all left school early to go plan an escape for me. I decided now was the best chance to go talk to my mom, so I parted from my friends.

I stood at the front door for a minute before reluctantly knocking. Mom came to the door and looked at me with sunken eyes.

"Mom..." I whispered.

She said nothing. The next thing I knew, I was being pulled into a hug.

"Luhan." She finally said.

"Mom, we need to talk." I said.

She nodded and took my hand, leading me to the kitchen table.

"I've missed you, Luhan." She said once we were sitting.

"I don't mean to bring bad news, but..." I started.

She looked at me with sad eyes and grabbed my hand to let me know it was okay to continue.

"I did get caught, then again, and now I have the death sentence upon me. I plan on running away, though."

"Oh, Luhan." She frowned.

"Mom, I'm sorry."

I couldn't look into her eyes. I knew I would cry if I did. Her heart was already broken and I knew I was breaking what was left.

"Honey, I'd rather you be happy and alive with a human, than dead. Do what you have to do."

"Thanks mom." I said.

Before I left she gave me a kiss and a hug, and wished me luck. I was going to miss my mom too, but maybe hopefully one day I could come back.

I made my way back to Kyungsoo's house and found him and Kai planning something at the table with Soo's mom.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"We've got the perfect plan to help you escape." Kyungsoo said.

He explained it to me as best as he could. Basically, his mom would create a distraction while he and Kai helped me get to the surface. The plan was great, but now we just needed to make sure it didn't backfire. For one, I shouldn't risk going to the surface again (because who knows what might happen), so Kai and Soo went together at dusk and explained to Sehun what was happening.

When Kyungsoo came back home, he told me that Sehun would be ready for me. I was excited and nervous now. My whole life could change forever or be gone in an instant.