Chapter 9

Beneath Your Beautiful

Jessica woke up to the added weight on her back. She slowly opened her eyes and looked over her shoulder. She smiled at the cute girl who was sprawled on top of her. She slowly turned, causing the sleeping Yohyun to fall back to the spot beside her.

“Unnie?” Krystal asked from outside her room. Jessica sat up on the bed before telling Krystal to come in. Krystal’s eyes landed on the sleeping girl as soon as she stepped inside the room before throwing a questioning gaze at Jessica.

“We found her yesterday,” Jessica explained. “You were still at Hayeon’s when she fell asleep so you didn’t see her when you arrived.”

“How long are you keeping her?” Krystal’s eyes fell back to the little girl clad in her old pajama.

“We will have to wait until somebody looks for her,” Jessica answered, brushing the tresses that blocked Yohyun’s adorable face.

“And if nobody looks for her?”

Jessica looked back at Krystal before shrugging her shoulders. “I’m sure her parents are looking for her. How can you not look for an adorable kid?” she smiled at her sister.

Krystal nodded, turning to walk out of the room.

“Krys?” Jessica called out. “You’re okay with this, right?”

Krystal shrugged her shoulders before closing the door behind her.

**

“Good morning!” Jessica smiled at the sleepy Yohyun as she walked out of the room, clad in Krystal’s old pajama.

“Morning Mommy Jeshka,” Yohyun stretched her arms up at Jessica who immediately scooped her in her arms.

“You’re so clingy,” Jessica said playfully as she walked them to the bathroom. “Now, let’s brush your teeth and wash you up so we can eat breakfast, okay?”

“Where Daddy Taengoo?” Yohyun whipped her head from side to side; looking for the guy she thought was Jessica’s partner.

“He doesn’t live here,” Jessica said, putting Yohyun on top of the sink counter.

“Ooohh,” Yohyun nodded her head. “Daddy Yonghwa not live with Mommy Joohyun too!”

Jessica squeezed toothpaste to the extra toothbrush they always kept in the bathroom. She then told Yohyun to open so she can brush her teeth for the little girl. “Are those your parents’ name?” she said, gently brushing Yohyun’s teeth. The little girl nodded.

“Do you remember where you live?”

Yohyun shook her head.

“How old are you?”

Yohyun held four fingers up at Jessica.

Jessica smiled, handing Yohyun a glass of water to rinse with. The little girl did as told.

“Do you need me to bathe you?”

Yohyun nodded and smiled at Jessica before skipping off the counter.

“Be careful,” Jessica said, tailing after Yohyun who went to the shower.

**

Laughter resounded inside Jessica’s room as she dried Yohyun’s hair.

“Where you baby?” the little girl said while Jessica brushed her hair.

“She’s in school.”

“Can we be fwiends?”

“Of course, I think she’ll like you.”

“What if baby not like me?”

Jessica knelt in front of Yohyun, pinching the little girl’s cheeks. “She’ll like you.”

“My Daddy baby no like me,” Yohyun pouted.

“You have a sibling?”

“Daddy has baby but Mommy say she not my sister.”

Jessica nodded her head, assuming that Yohyun’s parents got divorced and the father probably had a child from another woman. She felt sad for Yohyun.

“Where does your Daddy live now?”

Yohyun shrugged her shoulders as she stared at her reflection in the mirror. Jessica stood behind her, a sweet smile lingering on her lips. Yohyun was very, very adorable.

“Do you still see him?”

“I was with him yestewday.”

“You said you were with your Mommy?” Jessica said, furrowing her brows.

“Yes, then she left me with Daddy.”

Jessica nodded once again, deciding that she had asked enough questions for the little girl. Surely, her mother was frantically looking for her now. “Come on, let’s eat breakfast,” she said, extending her hand to Yohyun who immediately took it and hopped off the stool to exit the room.

**

Taeyeon reluctantly tore his eyes from the TV screen because of the insistent ringing of the doorbell. He groaned as he stood up and walked to the door.

When he opened the door, a smiling Jessica greeted him and he immediately felt a little self-conscious because he was still in his pajamas. “S-Sica?” he said, fixing his white shirt. His eyes landed on the small hands gripping Jessica’s left thigh and the small body behind Jessica’s legs.

“She wanted to see you,” Jessica said, making Taeyeon look back at her.

Taeyeon slightly widened his eyes at Jessica. “Me?” he said, pointing a finger at his chest.

Jessica nodded, “She said we should eat breakfast together.” She then took Yohyun’s hand from her thigh to bring the little girl in front of her.

Taeyeon smiled as soon as Yohyun stood in between him and Jessica timidly. He squatted down and tapped the little girl’s nose twice. “Hey cutie,” he cooed, making Yohyun giggle. “You want to eat breakfast with Taengoo?” Yohyun nodded before wrapping her short arms around Taeyeon’s neck, making the guy laugh. “So you’re warming up to me now?” Taeyeon said in between chuckles before the short arms were removed from his neck.

“Sorry, Taeyeon, I couldn’t say no to this adorable girl,” Jessica said, making Taeyeon and Yohyun tilt their heads and look at her. Taeyeon shook his head as he stood, carrying Yohyun in his arms.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said. “I was just about to head to your house and ask you out for breakfast.”

Jessica raised her brow and looked over Taeyeon’s outfit. “Really?” she said in an incredulous tone. “Coz you look like someone who was forcedly pulled out from his bed.”

Taeyeon laughed at Jessica’s remark. It was true that he planned to take Jessica and Yohyun out for breakfast though; just that he wanted to finish the film he was watching first. “So, what do you guys want to--”

“What that?” Yohyun said, craning her head to peek over Taeyeon’s shoulder. “Spongebob!” she squealed, pointing at the LED TV inside the house.

“T-That’s not spongebob!” Taeyeon said, shaking his head at Jessica who looked at him with amused eyes. “I-I don’t watch spongebob, really.”

Jessica scrunched up her face, taking Yohyun from Taeyeon’s arms. “Okay, coach Kim,” she said. “You should really wash up now so Yohyun could have her breakfast.” She smiled at him, one that melts his heart, and he nodded his head obediently before beckoning Jessica to come in.

“Oh, so they changed the name of this show now?” Jessica teased, nodding her head at the television screen that played Spongebob.

Taeyeon just scratched the back of his head and smiled coyly at Jessica before climbing the stairs to the second floor of the house.

**

“Well?” Taeyeon said, tugging Yohyun’s hand as they stood outside a cafe thirty minutes away from their subdivision. They had been to three cafes already but the little girl didn’t like them. “Do you want to eat here?”

Yohyun shook her head before tilting it back to look up at Jessica. “No, Mommy Jeshka.”

Jessica and Taeyeon exchanged knowing looks. “Okay, let’s find another cafe.” Jessica smiled at Yohyun before she took the little girl’s hand in hers. She was about to walk further into the chain of stores when Yohyun tugged on her hand. “What’s wrong?” she said, squatting down to look at Yohyun.

“I wanna go home,” the little girl pouted, exhaustion evident on her adorable face.

“Are you tired?” Jessica asked, earning a nod from the little girl. “But you have to eat first,” she said and looked up at Taeyeon who stood behind the little girl, gaze fixed on Jessica.

“Yeah, Yohyun-ah, you have to eat first.” Taeyeon chimed in.

“But... I don’t like food hewe,” the little girl said. “I want Mommy eggs!”

Jessica frowned, cupping one of Yohyun’s cheeks. “But baby, we don’t know where your Mommy is.”

“Can you cook fow me?” the little girl asked with expectant eyes that Jessica found too hard to resist.

“I-I guess?” Jessica said, standing up.

Yohyun beamed, raising her arms above her head; signaling Jessica to carry her. Before Jessica could take the little girl, Taeyeon was already bending down to scoop Yohyun. “Let Taengoo carry you, hmm? Mommy Jessica’s tired,” he said, finally carrying Yohyun in his arms. The little girl nodded and smiled shyly at Taeyeon. “Let’s go?” Taeyeon looked at Jessica who nodded almost immediately.

The trio started walking back to where Taeyeon had parked his father’s car with Yohyun talking about how she wanted her egg to be cooked. Taeyeon’s father was more than happy to lend them his car, saying that the little kid shouldn’t be riding in motorcycles. His parents arrived just when they were about to go. At first, they thought Yohyun was Jessica’s younger sister but Taeyeon had explained the situation and his parents offered to help them.

“Taeyeon,” he looked at his side when Jessica’s soft voice called his name. “If you’re tired, you can just drop us off my house.”

Taeyeon opened the passenger door for Jessica. “I really like to spend time with you,” he said without holding back. He couldn’t hold back now.

Jessica ducked her head without saying another word as she slid inside the gray SUV. Taeyeon smiled a little when he noticed the tinge of pink on the head nurse’s cheeks. He then sat Yohyun in Jessica’s lap.

The drive back to Jessica’s house was filled with Yohyun’s enthusiastic little voice as she talked to Jessica about her cat, Lala.

“Is that Krystal?” Taeyeon asked as he parked the car in front of Jessica’s house. A girl in her school uniform was sitting at the lawn chair in Krystal’s mini garden.

“It is,” Jessica answered as she proceeded to open the door with Yohyun in her arms. “Why is she home so early?”

Walking inside their front yard, Jessica stopped just behind the lawn chair Krystal was occupying. Yohyun was standing beside her and Taeyeon was behind them. “Krys?” she called out, making Krystal rise up from her seat to face her sister. “Is something wrong? Why are you home early?”

Krystal casted her eyes at Taeyeon before settling down at Yohyun who looked back at her with confused gaze. “I wasn’t feeling well,” she said and moved to kiss Jessica’s cheek.

“Oh baby, are you having a feve--”

“Baby big! Mommy, baby big!” Three pairs of head turned to look down at the hyper little girl who was skipping towards Krystal. “Mommy, baby biiiigggg!” Yohyun said, stretching her arms up as she clutched a part of Krystal’s skirt. “Mommy, baby big!”

Taeyeon suppressed his laughter at the stupefied look on Krystal’s face. The younger Jung didn’t know what to do as Yohyun tried climbing over her. Jessica smiled at her sister before picking Yohyun up.

“Yohyun, this is Krystal,” she said. “She’s my baby.”

Krystal’s cheeks blushed. She still finds it endearing when Jessica claims her as her daughter.

“Ooohhhh, baby big!” Yohyun squealed, arms instantly connecting with Krystal’s neck as she transferred to the younger Jung’s body.

“Sweetie, be careful, Krystal isn’t feeling well.”

“I-It’s okay,” Krystal said bashfully as she wrapped her arms around Yohyun, securing the little girl.

Jessica smiled, “Let’s get inside? So you can take some medicine.”

**

Taeyeon didn’t know what happened. One moment they were peacefully eating the breakfast Jessica had prepared, the next he finds himself crawling on the floor with Yohyun straddling his back, patting his as the little girl scold him for being slow. They were racing against Krystal who was crawling with her knees and hands on the floor, too; like a horse. Jessica was just standing at the archway to the kitchen as she served as the finish line.

“Daddy! Daddy! Baby big winning!” Yohyun urged, jumping at his back as she pulled Taeyeon’s collar, choking him.

“Y-Yohyun, don’t--”

“Ha! I win!” Krystal announced, clinging onto Jessica’s right leg. Taeyeon arrived next, holding Jessica’s ankle, sprawling on the floor as he catches his breath.

“These kids are.. gonna be.. the death.. of me.”

Jessica laughed, sitting on the floor as she pats Taeyeon’s head. “Poor you, Yohyun wants another round.”

Taeyeon groaned, burying his face in his arms as he let go of Jessica’s ankle. “Why can’t I be the finish line this time?” he said, words muffled by his arms.

Krystal let out an exaggerated gasp, “Oppa! Are you saying Sica-unnie should crawl and carry the annoying cat?” A smirk formed in Krystal’s lips as she watched Taeyeon grumble on the floor like a little kid.

“Me no cat!” Yohyun said, making Krystal roll her eyes.

“Sure,” Krystal said and stuck her tongue out at the little girl. Jessica laughed, gently patting Krystal’s thigh before she beckoned Yohyun to come to her. The little girl did as told and Jessica hugged her.

“Do you want to play again?” she said, making Yohyun’s eyes lit up as she nods her head vigorously.

“We beat baby big!” Yohyun squealed, moving out of Jessica’s grasp, straddling Taeyeon’s back again. “We beat baby big!” she jumped on his back, making Taeyeon grunt before he positioned himself again.

“I’m not ‘baby big’,” Krystal said as she, too, positioned herself on the floor.

Jessica chuckled, moving to the opposite side of the room. “Okay, you guys ready?”

Krystal smiled and Taeyeon nodded half-heartedly.

“Ready, set, go!”

Taeyeon pushed himself to crawl towards Jessica faster with Yohyun pulling the collar of his shirt that had loosened by the fourth time they competed against Krystal. His knees were becoming numb.

“Ha! Take that, losers!” Krystal announced for the seventh time that morning. Taeyeon arrived at Jessica’s feet just three seconds after Krystal. For the fourth time that morning, he sprawled on the floor, holding on to Jessica’s ankle.

“Sica, please,” he whispered. “Please help me.”

Jessica and Krystal laughed at him while Yohyun continued jumping on his back, urging him to get up for another round.

“Sweetie, Taengoo is tired now.” Jessica sat down on the floor with Krystal beside her. She took Yohyun from Taeyeon’s back.

“B-But.. we beat baby big.”

“Yeah, sweetie, but Taengoo is really tired. Do you want to play another game instead?”

Taeyeon just listened to Jessica, eyes closed as he relaxed his body. He heard Yohyun squealing before feet padded across the floor, towards what he assumed was one of the bedrooms. The sound of a door closing had him turning to lie on his back, eyes still closed. He could feel sweat dripping from the side of his face but he didn’t care. There was no one to see him in that state anyway.

“Are you okay?” Eyes snapped opened as Taeyeon turned his head to his left, coming face to face with an equally shocked Jessica as their noses almost brushed. Jessica moved away and sat erect on the floor beside Taeyeon.

“I’m fine,” he said, casting his eyes back at the ceiling. “How about you?”

Jessica giggled, “Silly, I didn’t do anything but stand.”

Taeyeon smiled, feeling a fabric being dabbed on his skin. “Thank you,” he said, looking back at Jessica who shyly retracted her hand.

“I’ll get you water,” she said, preparing to stand up, only for Taeyeon to stop her.

“I’m fine, Sica. Just.. stay.. for a while.”

Jessica looked at him in confusion but decided to stay anyway. Taeyeon had closed his eyes again, giving Jessica the advantage to study his face closely. She wonders how Taeyeon could look so young, despite being born in the same year as her. In fact, the guy was older than her by a month. Her eyes took in Taeyeon’s closed eyes; liking how wide the space between his eyes was, making his face looks cuter. His lips were fuller than most guys -making him look like one of those cute little boys from daycare- and his jaw were well-defined. Taeyeon could pass as one of those models had he been taller than he was. Jessica bit her lower lip, suppressing giggles as she thought about Taeyeon’s height who, by the way, managed to knock Jaejong out.

“Is there something on my face?” Jessica was taken aback. She didn’t realize she was already staring right into Taeyeon’s dark brown eyes. She shook her head before looking straight ahead, embarrassed that she was actually caught staring.

“When are you going back to work?” she said, changing the subject.

Taeyeon sat up, crossing his legs by the ankle. They were sitting in the corner of Jessica’s living room like one of those couples who just moved in to a new house. “On Monday,” he said, looking down at the loose collar of his white tee shirt. “How about you?”

“I think I can go back to work on Saturday,” Jessica replied, eyes unconsciously traveling to Taeyeon’s loose collar. She blushed when she realized it was too loose that it almost showed his chest. She looked away immediately.

“Are you okay with going back to work by then?”

Jessica hummed in response, back leaning on the wall as she stretched her legs out. “I easily get bored when I’m not doing anything.”

“So you’re bored?”

“Nope.” Jessica smiled. That was the truth. Oddly, she wasn’t bored. She actually enjoys her week off.

“Really?” Taeyeon said, tilting his head to look at Jessica.

“Really, really.”

Taeyeon smiled widely, moving to lean his back on the wall, too. “I think this is nice,” he said. Jessica looked at him with questioning eyes. “I mean this - me, you, Yohyun, Krystal.. spending time together.”

Jessica nodded, “I think it’s nice, too.” She smiled. “I haven’t been spending much time with Krystal these past days.”

“I’m sure she understands.”

Jessica sighed. She felt fatigue taking over her body, which she doesn’t understand since she didn’t do anything but stand as the finish line. “You should stay for lunch,” she mumbled as she let out a big yawn. Before Taeyeon could answer, a weight already landed on his shoulder. He turned to look over it, only to be met by a mop of dark brown hair. Taeyeon smiled a small smile as he carefully moved his lips close to the crown of Jessica’s head, pressing them against it. The scent of Jessica’s shampoo imprinted on his mind and he knew, for sure, it will haunt him for the rest of the day.

**

Jessica didn’t know how long she had been asleep but she knows for sure it was long enough for her to miss lunch. She moved her head from side to side, recovering from the position she had slept in, not noticing the pair of eyes that were following her every move. Stretching her arms above her head, she let out a contented sigh. It was then that she noticed the guy who was staring at her and the unopened containers of take outs lay on the floor.

“Did you sleep well?”

Jessica nodded her head with a shy smile on her lips. “Did I--Did I sleep.. o-on your shoulder?” she said when she saw Taeyeon massaging his left shoulder.

Taeyeon smiled at her, stretching to reach for the food containers. “You missed lunch,” he said. “We just called for delivery. Krystal and Yohyun already had lunch and Krystal is giving Yohyun a bath now.”

Jessica looked at him with wide eyes. “Are you sure that was Krystal?”

Taeyeon chuckled at the question as he passed a container to Jessica. “Yes, that was Krystal. She’s still calling Yohyun ‘annoying cat’ though, and Yohyun still calls her ‘baby big’,” he said and opened his own food container.

Taking a peek at Jessica’s food, Taeyeon frowned. “I told them not to put cucumbers in your shawarma.” And before Jessica could react, Taeyeon had already swapped their food.

Jessica’s lips broke into a small, shy smile as she started picking on her food. It felt nice to know that Taeyeon actually took note of the small things.

**

“Hide and seek!” Yohyun said, clapping her hands. It was already past three in the afternoon and the four of them decided to lounge in Krystal’s garden. They were thinking of a game to pass the time.

Krystal, who was watering her plants, turned to look at the little girl as if she was the weirdest thing on Earth. “Are you for reals? That’s so first grade.”

Taeyeon scoffed, “She’s four, Krystal.”

“Okay, let’s play hide and seek then.” Jessica stood up from the ground, stretching her arm towards Yohyun who took it almost immediately, letting Jessica pull her up.

“Unnie, seriously? You’re taking her side?” Krystal narrowed her eyes at Jessica as she put down the watering can. “Coach,” she turned towards Taeyeon with pleading eyes. “That’s so boring.”

Taeyeon stood up, looking from Krystal to Jessica and finally to Yohyun who looked at him with puppy-eyes. He shook his head before looking back at Krystal. “How about you’ll be ‘it’?” Taeyeon said. “That would be fun, right? You, finding us? You know..”

Krystal rolled her eyes, “No. That’s tiring.”

Taeyeon scrunched up his face a Krystal before turning back to Yohyun. “How about we play tag instead?”

Yohyun grinned, giving Taeyeon a thumb up.

“Okay, you’re it.” Krystal smirked as she passed by Taeyeon.

“Wait, what? Aren’t we going to play rock, scissor, and paper first?”

“No, coach, you’re it since this is your brilliant idea.”

Jessica just looked at them in amusement. “Okay kids, let’s get this game started,” she yelled enthusiastically. Yohyun moved to hold Krystal’s hand, making the older girl scrunch up her face.

“Yah, you can’t hold me when I run,” she said as she tried shaking off the little girl’s hand.

Yohyun chuckled, tightening her grip on Krystal’s hand. “Me run with baby big kay? Kay?”

Krystal grumbled in irritation but intertwined her fingers with Yohyun nonetheless.

“Okay, I’ll count to three and you guys run.” Taeyeon smirked at the three of them. “See how fast SuperTaengoo is.”

Krystal scoffed, tugging Yohyun’s hand as she started sprinting. “Catch us if you can!”

“Yah! I said on the count of three!”

Jessica laughed and started running to the other direction, too, confusing Taeyeon who to go after first. “Taengoo, I hope your short legs could keep up!” she said, her laughter getting louder as she ran around their lawn. Taeyeon decided to run after Krystal and Yohyun who were just about to come across Jessica. He smirked; he was about to hit three birds with one stone.

Crossing the lawn, he grinned at Krystal and Yohyun who had panic written on their faces as they saw him coming closer. He was about to grab Krystal and Yohyun but they ducked just as he stretched his arms out. Laughter resounded from his back and he turned to see Jessica laughing at him. Taeyeon pouted before running towards the other direction; to Jessica.

“Gotcha!”

Jessica squealed when she felt an arm wrapped on her waist, disabling her to run away from Taeyeon. “Now we’re allies,” she heard Taeyeon say without letting go of her. Jessica laughed, squirming under Taeyeon’s grasp.

“No! You haven’t said the magic word yet,” she said when she successfully pried Taeyeon’s arm off her.

“Yah! No cheating!” Taeyeon said as he ran after Jessica once again.

Krystal stopped in her tracks as she watched Taeyeon catching Jessica once again. She was surprised her sister agreed to play with them; she was even surprised Jessica actually ran. She never runs. Ever.

A tug on her hand had her turning to look down at Yohyun who had her head tilted back to look at Krystal. “Eat,” the little girl said and Krystal furrowed her brows at Yohyun.

“What?” she said and squatted down to Yohyun’s eye level.

“Let eat. I want eat!”

Krystal laughed and ruffled the little girl’s hair before taking her into her arms; carrying her. “You talk weird, you should try talking properly.” She looked over her sister and Taeyeon; they were laughing their heads off at something Krystal didn’t know. Not wanting to disturb the duo, she continued walking to the front door and inside the house.

“Baby big not mad?” Yohyun abruptly asked when Krystal put her down.

“Me? Why? I’m not mad,” Krystal looked at the little girl with puzzled eyes.

“You mad at me,” the little girl said. “You not want me.”

Krystal squatted down once again, pinched both of Yohyun’s cheeks and said, “I’m not mad, I’m just jealous because you immediately captured unnie’s heart. She never let anyone in before.” She hugged the little girl. “I’m sorry for being immature.”

Yohyun didn’t understand a thing that Krystal said but she nodded nonetheless, hugging Krystal back.

**

“Where are the kids?” Jessica said as she swept her gaze around the front lawn.

“I saw them getting inside a while ago.” Taeyeon said, sitting down on the ground.

Jessica looked at him before nodding. She sat down beside Taeyeon, facing their front door. “I think Krystal is jealous,” she said.

Taeyeon turned to look at her. “Jealous?”

“Yeah, I noticed her scoffing while I was feeding Yohyun breakfast.”

Taeyeon nodded, signaling Jessica to continue.

“Do you think she feels like I’m taking her for granted again?”

Taeyeon scrunched up his face at Jessica in a very adorable manner. “Don’t be silly, Sica. You’re not taking anybody for granted just because you’re letting someone new in your life. Krystal is matured enough to understand that.”

It was an innocent answer but Taeyeon’s word had Jessica wondering. Was that why she finds it hard to let people in? Because she’s afraid Krystal would feel like she’s taking her for granted? Like what she thought Krystal felt when she was with Dongahe? She figured she doesn’t really know what keeps her walls up. Fear of abandonment, maybe?

“I’m sorry,” Taeyeon said in a soft voice.

Jessica looked at him with questioning eyes, “For what?”

“I shouldn’t be saying those words,” he said. “I’m sorry.”

Jessica playfully scoffed before nudging Taeyeon’s arm with her shoulder. “You’re my friend and you’re allowed to say what you think,” she gave him a wide smile; a smile that had her gums showing and eyes turning into crescents, a smile that told him Jessica means her words. “Thank you, Taeyeon. I never knew I needed a friend until you came.”

Taeyeon returned the wide smile, patting Jessica’s head as he said, “Who are you and what did you do to nurse Jung?”

Jessica laughed and pushed Taeyeon away from her, making the guy fall on his back. Taeyeon covered his face as he faked his whimpers, rolling to his side as if his back hurt. Jessica stopped her laughing fit when she noticed the guy didn’t sit back up. Worry etched on her face as she crawled closer to Taeyeon. “Taeyeon?” No answer. “Taengoo,” she said again. “Taengoo I’m sorry, are you hurt? Did I push you too hard?”

Taeyeon still didn’t answer and Jessica’s worries were growing each second.

“Taengo--”

Taeyeon turned to lie on his back, ready to tease Jessica, but was left speechless when their lips almost touched. Jessica was hovering too close to his face. Both their eyes went wide in pure surprise, their nose brushing with every little movement. Taeyeon’s breathe hitched, heart raced as he stared right into Jessica’s eyes. In his peripheral vision, he noticed the little freckles on Jessica’s left cheekbone that he didn’t notice before. He was slowly drowning in the pool of baby brown orbs as if they were pulling him, holding him captive. And in that few seconds, Taeyeon realized something; that he was, in fact, helplessly in love with Jessica. It wasn’t just a high school crush anymore. It was what people always described to be ‘falling but never hitting the ground’. It was unexplainable.

Taeyeon was about to make the boldest move yet, but Krystal’s voice had Jessica moving away from him. He saw her biting the corner of her lips as she turned away from him; a tinge of pink adorning her cheeks as she stood up and walked to Krystal who was standing by the porch. Taeyeon let out a long breath, mentally thanking Krystal’s interruption. He would be lying if he’ll say he didn’t want to kiss Jessica right then and there but a part of him says it wasn’t right, that it was disrespecting.

Taeyeon groaned, turning to lie on his stomach, not minding the moist in the grass as he tried calming his raging heart down. One move - that would have been all it took for them to kiss. One move and he could have kissed his friendship with Jessica goodbye, too. He groaned again, gently tapping his cheek against the grass; his heart was still beating rapidly that he thought it was going to explode.

“Daddy Taengoo!” A weight landed on his back and his lips instantly turned up into a smile; effectively calming his heart down. He turned to lie on his back and Yohyun almost fell from his body.

“Hi,” he said, looking at Yohyun who was now straddling his stomach. The little girl giggled before bringing her body down into Taeyeon’s chest, snuggling close to him. “Something wrong?” he said, rubbing the little girl’s back. It was getting dark and the little girl looked tired. “Yohyun?”

The little girl shook her head and Taeyeon noticed the tears spilling from her eyes. He immediately sat up with Yohyun still clinging onto his body. He cradled the crying child. “Yohyun what’s wrong?”

Yohyun sniffled before shyly looking up at Taeyeon with tears-stained cheeks. “Mommy Joohyun. I miss Mommy Joohyun,” she told Taeyeon with a trembling lower lip. Taeyeon sighed, his eyes unconsciously traveling towards the porch. He saw Krystal and Jessica getting out from their house with worried expressions on their faces. Taeyeon nodded at them and smiled before he hugged Yohyun tighter. “We’ll go ask the police tomorrow, okay? Don’t worry too much,” he said. “Don’t you like Mommy Jessica anymore?”

Yohyun was quick to shake her head. “I-I like Mommy Jeshka and Baby Big and Daddy Taengoo.. lots and lots.”

Taeyeon chuckled as he slightly pushed Yohyun away from him to look at the little girl’s eyes as he said, “We will find your Mommy, okay? We’ll get you home, princess.”

Yohyun smiled in gratitude before she moved to place a peck on Taeyeon’s chin. “Thank you Daddy Taengoo.”

Taeyeon got up from the ground with Yohyun in his arms. “Are you hungry?”

Yohyun nodded shyly as she clung onto Taeyeon’s neck.

Taeyeon laughed. “Do you want to eat somewhere?” he said while he walked them to where Jessica and Krystal were. Yohyun shrugged, her eyes connecting with Jessica’s worried ones and she smiled to ease her second-mother’s worries. “Ah,” Taeyeon said with a cheerful voice, making Yohyun, Jessica and Krystal look at him. “Why don’t we go eat street food tonight?”

Jessica scrunched up her face to show her disagreement. Taeyeon laughed, “What? Don’t tell me you don’t eat street food?”

“I don’t because they aren’t clean,” Jessica said, wrapping an arm around Krystal who remained silent. “And it’s not good for my babies,” she added, bending down a little as she playfully nuzzled Krystal’s cheeks. The younger Jung giggled as she tried to stop her sister’s assault.

“Well, your babies are hungry and we don’t have much time to cook.” Taeyeon put Yohyun down as he proceeded to fish for his father’s car key in his jeans pocket. “Let’s go to Sinchon instead.”

Krystal’s eyes lit up and she gave Taeyeon a thumb-up. She had always wanted to try the street foods in Sinchon but she never had the chance since Jessica was always in the hospital.

Taeyeon smirked as he looked at Jessica. “That’s two against one,” he said.

Jessica rolled her eyes as she crouched down to Yohyun’s eye level. “Sweetie, are you hungry?” she said. The little girl nodded bashfully, making Jessica groan. She had no choice but to follow through with Taeyeon’s suggestion. “Fine,” she said. “Let me just get your coats.”

Krystal gave Taeyeon a high five as soon as Jessica went inside the house.

**

“What do you want to eat?” Taeyeon said, looking at Jessica as he munched on his tteokbokki. Krystal had a tteokkkochi while Yohyun chose to settle for a baby gimbap. Jessica has yet to decide on what to eat. Everything looked appealing to her.

“I’ll just have what Krystal is eating,” she finally said. Taeyeon smiled at Jessica before turning to the owner of the store the tent they were currently at.

“See, it isn’t that bad, right?” Taeyeon said they settled on a table. Jessica nodded her head, smelling the tteokkkochi Taeyeon had ordered for her. She didn’t like spicy food.

“It’s spicy,” she said and pouted, bringing the food down into the styro-plate. “You know I don’t eat spicy foods.”

“It’s not that spicy. Come on, just try it. Krystal’s even enjoying it.”

Jessica looked over to her sister who was happily devouring her food, occasionally checking on Yohyun. She took her food from the plate again and brought it to , finally taking a small bite. She deliberately chewed on her food as Taeyeon waits impatiently for any reaction from Jessica. She didn’t show any.

“You don’t like it?” he said. Jessica raised a brow at Taeyeon as if she had no idea what he was talking about. “The food, you don’t like it?”

Jessica bit from the tteokkkochi again to suppress her laughter. Taeyeon’s face was etched with worry that he had forgotten about his food. “Your food is going to be cold,” she said nonchalantly as she took another bite from her own food.

Taeyeon pouted, making Krystal and Yohyun giggle on their seats. He proceeded to finish his tteokbokki. “I’ll just buy you a decent food after I finish this,” he said, looking at Jessica. She just smiled at him before finishing the rest of her food.

**

By the time they got back to Jessica and Krystal’s house, Yohyun was already fast asleep. Taeyeon didn’t had to buy Jessica food from the restaurant because apparently, the head nurse liked the tteokkkochi so much that she had three orders of it. Krystal looked as tired as Yohyun as she walked listlessly towards her room.

“Good night coach,” she said as she gave Taeyeon a small and tired smile. “Thank you for today.”

“I’ll just tuck Yohyun in,” Jessica said.

“Can I tuck her in?”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon with questioning eyes.

“I-I just.. never mind,” he smiled, turning to head to the front door instead. “Goodnight, Sica.”

“Y-You can,” Jessica said, making Taeyeon turn back at her. “You can tuck her in, I don’t mind.” She smiled at him.

Taeyeon returned the kinds smile, crossing the room with ease as he took the sleeping Yohyun from Jessica’s arms. Jessica led him to her room where Yohyun will be sleeping.

It wasn’t the first time that Taeyeon will get to enter Jessica’s room but he felt uneasy. He felt like he was actually invading privacy again and regretted asking Jessica about tucking Yohyun in. But Jessica didn’t seem to mind as she calmly walked in front of him.

“Did you have fun today?” Taeyeon said, trying to ease the tension he was internally feeling.

Jessica hummed and nodded at him with her back still facing him. Taeyeon stood by the door as he waits for Jessica to prepare the bed. “I did,” she said as she changed the cover of her bed. “I had so much fun.”

Taeyeon let out a sigh of relief.

“You can put her here.” Jessica patted the space on the bed as she turned to look at him. Neither of them moved nor spoke for a minute as they locked gazes with each other, remembering what almost happened outside the house earlier.

It was after Jessica tore her eyes away from Taeyeon’s that he managed to move his feet. Crossing the room, he carefully laid Yohyun down on the bed. He crouched down beside the bed, brushing Yohyun’s hair away from her face as he stared lovingly at the little girl. Yohyun may not be related to him but the little girl successfully secured a place in his heart. He cares for the little girl and he was more determined to annoy Hyoyeon to find the little girl’s parents. He placed a peck on Yohyun’s forehead before standing up.

“Do you want to have tea first?” Jessica asked when Taeyeon was already standing by the door. Taeyeon wanted to say yes but decided against it. He knew Jessica was tired, too.

“You should rest, Sica. It’s getting late,” he said with a smile. Jessica nodded before they walked out of the room.

Standing on the porch, Taeyeon scratched his head. He was torn between saying goodbye and staying. He was so close to changing his mind when Jessica spoke.

“Good night Taeyeon,” Jessica said.

“Good night, Sica. Sleep well,” Taeyeon answered and turned to leave.

“Taeyeon,” Jessica called out when Taeyeon was halfway to his father’s car. Jessica smiled at him. “I really enjoyed today, I hope we didn’t bother you too much.”

Taeyeon flashed Jessica a dorky smile. “Thank you for letting me spend the day with you,” he said and waved at Jessica before finally entering the car.

Jessica stood by the porch as she waits for Taeyeon to drive away. When he did, she let out a small smile, remembering how the day made them so happy.

 

 

----

I'm sorry for the late updates :( I can't promise to update faster but I'll really try since my summer class will start next week.