Chapter 13

Beneath Your Beautiful

Krystal waited with bated breath as Jessica sat across from her in the living room, a leg crossed over the other as she looked at Krystal with hesitant eyes. Her sister had tried opening for a couple of times but can't seem to get the words out, and Krystal was starting to think that telling Jessica was a bad idea. If only coach Kim wasn't so insistent about it, maybe she'll never really have the guts to tell Jessica about the details of the play she auditioned for.

"Soojung," Jessica started in a cautious voice, fully aware of her younger sister's anxious form. "I.. I really don't know what to say." She clasped her hands together before letting out a small smile at Krystal. "But.. i-if that's what you really want, then I guess I shouldn't be deciding for you?"

Krystal blinked, wondering if she heard Jessica right, and with resignation, no less. "Are you.." she hesitates, "Are you sure?"

"Well, it's just a p-peck, isn't it?"

Krystal saw Jessica gently bit her lower lip, and then she saw the uncertainty in her sister's eyes again. "You don't like it," Krystal says in a matter-of-fact tone. "I can't do it if you don't feel comfortable about it."

Jessica shook her head and then she was already beside Krystal. "It will be a good experience for you," she says as she drapes an arm over Krystal's shoulders. "I might feel uncomfortable about it but at the end of the day, it will still be your decision."

Krystal thought about it for a moment. It really was a great opportunity to showcase her talent. Besides, she'll never know when the next opportunity will present itself. Before she could speak, however, she was pulled flush against her sister's body. They stayed in that position for a moment before she felt a droplet of what seemed like a liquid on her forehead. She immediately pulled away from Jessica, who struggled to wipe her cheeks.

"Were you crying?" Krystal said in a surprised voice. It had been too long since she last saw Jessica cry in front of her. "Oh my gosh, your are crying." She instinctively brought her hands to her sister's cheeks, wiping the tears that continued streaming. "What's wrong, unnie?"

"N-nothing.." Jessica said when she settled down. "It's just.. y-you're all grown up now.. a-and I'm going to w-witness your f-first kiss.. my baby is all grown up now."

Krystal had to stop herself from rolling her eyes. Typical Jessica. Of course.

"Unnie," she said. "It's not even a real kiss. It's just for a play."

"But still.."

Krystal knew it was pointless to argue with Jessica so she just nodded her head in resignation.

**

"So, your sister gave you the go signal already?" Hayeon asked as she skipped on the sidewalk towards the bus stop. Krystal hummed contentedly as she watch Hayeon play with the lines on the pavement.

"So, you're really doing it?" Hayeon stopped to look back at Krystal. "I thought you didn't like Minhyuk?"

"What does Minhyuk have to do with the play?"

Hayeon tilted her head to the side, "You don't know who's going to play as the prince charming yet?"

"Don't tell me--"

Hayeon laughed, pulling Krystal by the hand to jog towards the bus that had just pulled up. "Yeap," she said with a grin, making Krystal groan.

**

Jessica bade Sunny and Eli good bye as she passed by the information counter. She was in a hurry because Taeyeon was waiting for her outside. Just when she was about to exit the hospital, a familiar voice called out for her, making her turn instantly. It had been too long since she last heard the voice that she almost forgot about it.

"Donghae," she said, catching her breath.

The tall man smiled and walked towards her. "I thought I'd see you here," he said. "Jesus, it's been too long. How have you been?"

Jessica didn't know what to answer, or if she should even answer. It still hurts to see Donghae, she realized, but it's not as painful as before anymore. "I've been good," she finally said after what felt like eternity. She could feel Sunny and Eli's worried gazes on her. "It was nice seeing you, but I really have to run." She turned away from Donghae but he caught her wrist.

"Look," he said. "I know things haven't been good between us." Jessica looked at him incredulously, trying hard not to roll her eyes on him. "But I was hoping we could patch things up.. talk them out, you know?"

If had been two years ago, Jessica would have been more than willing to 'talk things out' with him. But it was too late now. "I'm sorry," she said, genuinely apologetic for turning him down. "But someone's waiting for me outside." And with that, Jessica pulled her wrist from Donghae and turned to walk towards the door again until she was out of the hospital, immediately spotting Taeyeon in his motorcycle.

"Hey," she said when she reached Taeyeon. "I'm sorry for keeping you waiting."

Taeyeon smiled, put on Jessica's helmet for her before asking her to climb on the motorcycle. Without a word, Taeyeon the ignition and drove towards the school where they will be watching Krystal's final rehearsal.

Jessica clutched onto Taeyeon's waist as she let her mind wander back to Donghae. He looked the same, except for the hair. He looked just like the Donghae she fell in love for the first time, only that the spark wasn't there anymore and that the flattering feeling she used to feel when he was around was replaced with nothing but a dull ache that was fading, too.

The drive was short and when they arrived in the school's parking lot, Jessica immediately climbed off of Taeyeon's motorcycle, excited to see her sister. While they were walking towards the auditorium, Jessica noticed that Taeyeon haven't uttered a single word yet. She kept glancing at him with worried eyes, wanting to ask if he was okay but was too shy.

Finally, when they were outside the auditorium, Jessica decided that she couldn't take the silence anymore so she pulled Taeyeon by the wrist, making him turn towards her. "What's wrong, Taengoo?"

Taeyeon cracked a small smile at Jessica before he shook his head. "Nothing's wrong, Sica," he said in an assuring tone. "I'm just a little tired from running around the field today." He scrunched up his face to emphasize his distaste but Jessica sensed that there was more to it than Taeyeon was letting on.

"Are you sure?"

Taeyeon nodded, lips stretched to an overly forced wide smile before pulling the door open.

**

"Coach Kim!" A young, brunette woman greeted them as soon as they were inside the auditorium. Jessica tried not to dwell on how the woman was protectively holding Taeyeon's arm as if she gravitates towards him. What irked Jessica more was how Taeyeon seemed unfazed by the action.

"I'll just.. go see Soojung," Jessica said as she briskly walked towards where Krystal sat with the other kids. She wasn't sure why she acted so rude back there. She was supposed to introduce herself because that was how normal people would do.

"Sica.."

When Jessica reached her younger sister, the girl practically leapt out of her seat to hug her. Jessica laughed, patting Krystal's back gently. "How are you?" she asked as they pulled away.

"Nervous," Krystal answered. "I'm shaking."

Jessica laughed some more. "Why? It's just the final rehearsal."

"Because you're here.."

Jessica understood that, given that this was the first she attended Krystal's event in school. She was close with Krystal but never did she ever had attended school fairs. Of course she felt bad for those times but there was no way she could skip work.

"I won't make any noise so you won't get nervous," Jessica said, half-joking half-serious. She would do anything to make Krystal feel comfortable.

Krystal then laughed and Jessica could feel her sister relaxing. "Don't be silly, unnie!" Krystal stopped laughing when she noticed something was missing. "Where's the annoying chaperone?" she teased. "I'm surprised you're alone. I thought the two of you were already bound by an invincible thread that only the both of you could see?" She sniggered at her words, her sister blushing madly in front of her.

"H-He's kind of busy... I think."

"Really? He just left you here alone?" Krystal said, displeasure evident on her voice.

"Actually," Taeyeon spoke from behind Jessica. "She left me there alone."

Krystal rolled her eyes while Jessica seemed to have stiffen on her spot.

"Sica?" Taeyeon said as he moved to stand beside Jessica. "Is everything okay?"

"Okay, I have to go," Krystal abruptly said, waving Jessica and Taeyeon goodbye as she walked back towards the other casts of the play.

"Sica?" Taeyeon said again, voice gentler than the first time. "Are you okay? Do you feel tired? I can drive you home now, I'm sure Krystal wouldn't mind if we go home early. We'll just have to make sure to make it to the play tomorrow."

Jessica shook her head and gave Taeyeon a tight smile. "I'm fine, Taeyeon, there's no need for you to worry. You can go back to your... f-friend now."

Taeyeon stops himself from smiling as he sat down on the nearest seat, gently pulling Jessica down with him. They sat side by side in silence. "That was Sohee," Taeyeon started, breaking the silence between them. "She's the chemistry teacher. She's new here. She's like that to everyone."

"Y-You don't have to explain anything to me, i-it's none of my business, really."

Taeyeon chuckled. "But you seemed to be in a bad mood after--"

"Of course not..  I-I was just excited to see Soojung is all."

"Really?" Taeyeon said before shrugging. "Well, if you say so."

**

When the final rehearsal finished, Krystal bade her teachers and friends goodbye before skipping to where Jessica and Taeyeon were waiting for her. She smiled widely at her sister when they reached them. "So," she said, casting Taeyeon a brief glance. "Are things okay?"

Jessica rolled her eyes before taking Krystal's bag and things. "Are you hungry?" she said, changing the subject. "We can go to the nearest diner now."

"Can we just buy take outs? I'm pretty tired."

Jessica nodded at her sister's request. "Whatever you say."

"Are you coming with us?" Krystal said, turning to look at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon scratched the back of his head. "I'm actually dropping you guys home." He looked at Jessica, who smiled at him.

"Then shall we go now? Because I'm starving." Krystal looked over to Taeyeon's motorcycle. "Will we fit, though?"

"Of course!" Taeyeon beamed, giving Krystal his helmet while he put on Jessica's helmet for her out of habit. Krystal faked a cough when she noticed this and smirked teasingly at Taeyeon.

"Whipped," Krystal whispered as she passed by Taeyeon.

**

True to what Taeyeon said, they did fit in his motorcycle. They bought take outs from the diner that Krystal likes before going home. When they got home, Krystal was fast at unpacking the take out boxes, saying that she's 'sooo hungry'. Jessica just let her all she wanted, reminding her to chew on her food every now and then. Taeyeon ate silently beside Jessica, subtly stealing glances at the head nurse every now and then. He wondered if Jessica got jealous earlier and thought that he should at least clear things between them.

Krystal excused herself after a while because Jessica told her to wash up before sleeping. Taeyeon offered to help Jessica with the dishes after eating, to which she didn't protest to.

"Krystal fits her role perfectly, I'm glad you said yes," Taeyeon broke the silence yet again, his hands busily scrubbing the dishes before passing it to Jessica who rinsed it with clean water.

"She looked so excited while telling me about the play, I don't have the heart to say no."

Taeyeon hummed and nodded, passing another plate to Jessica. He hesitated for a bit before finally saying, "I saw you and Donghae at the hospital exit earlier."

Jessica was surprised, not because Taeyeon saw them but because of the sadness in Taeyeon's voice.

"Yeah," she said. "He wanted to talk about us."

"Oh," was all Taeyeon said before they settled in silence once again, neither of them knew what to say. Of course Taeyeon didn't want to press on the matter anymore and Jessica thought it really wasn't a big deal.

They finished washing and drying up the dishes just moments after that and Taeyeon was already bidding Jessica goodbye, his eyes not meeting Jessica's like they used to and it made Jessica nervous. She had never seen Taeyeon this... tensed.

When she walked him to the curb where his motorcycle was, she finally found the courage to tell him what she wanted to say since earlier. "He wanted to patch things up," she said from behind Taeyeon, who abruptly stopped on his tracks, shoulder tensing up as his back remained facing Jessica.

Taeyeon then slowly turned back towards Jessica when she didn't say anything after a few moments. "And you said yes?" he said, his voice calm. Questioning and not accusing. He stared at Jessica with a soft look in his eyes.

Jessica shook her head, taking one step closer to Taeyeon. "No," she said. "I told him that someone was waiting for me outside." She gave Taeyeon a small smile. "The whole time we were talking, my only thought was that you were waiting for me."

Taeyeon smiled, too, his right hand coming up to tuck a stray hair behind Jessica's ear. "I was jealous," he admitted. "When I saw the two of you talking, I was so jealous. But when I saw you walking away from him and towards me. I couldn't explain how I felt. I was so happy."

And Jessica could clearly see that. She could tell by the way Taeyeon's dark orbs seemed to be sparkling under the light of the dim street lights.

"I was so scared, Sica.." he trailed off, cupping her cheek in his right hand. "I was so scared that I'll never get the chance to tell you how I feel."

Jessica stood in her ground, never once faltering at Taeyeon's touch. She looked at him dead in the eye, silently letting him know that she was listening.

Taeyeon didn't know where all the courage came from. Maybe it was because of the calmness of the night or the look in Jessica's eyes that tells him that she feels it too; that whatever they have, it's now time to acknowledge it. So he took the leap, cupping Jessica's other cheek in his free hand before saying, "I really, really like you, Sica. I think I'm going crazy for you."

Jessica smiled, putting her hands above Taeyeon's , which were still in her cheeks. "I thought you'll never find the courage to say that." She laughed softly. "But I think everybody knows that by now."

Taeyeon's lips formed into a pout. "You already knew?"

Jessica laughed a little louder. "Oh Taengoo," she cooed. "It's so obvious, you know?"

Taeyeon's thumbs moved to gently rub Jessica's cheeks, making the head nurse smile contentedly at the action. "I thought I was good at keeping it as a secret."

Jessica snorted, "You don't say."

Taeyeon smiled at Jessica before a question popped out of his mind. "But wait, were you jealous earlier?"

"Of course not," Jessica said, averting her gaze from Taeyeon. "I can't get jealous with.. with those kinds of women."

"You are jealous," Taeyeon said. "You can't even say her name."

Jessica sighed in resignation. There was really no use in arguing with Taeyeon and all she could do is be honest to the guy. "I was," she said in a low voice. "I was jealous."

Taeyeon grinned, pulling Jessica to his body. "Does this mean you really, really like me too?"

"You wish," Jessica mumbled against the fabric of Taeyeon's shirt before she felt Taeyeon gently pushing her away from him, his hands firm on her waist, just enough so he could look at her eyes.

"Jessica Jung," he said with a hint of mischief in his voice. "Do you or do you not 'really, really like me' too?"

Jessica shook her head with a smile before pulling Taeyeon by the collar. She smiled when their noses touched, their lips almost kissing. "I really, really like you too, Taeyeon Kim," she said before pulling Taeyeon closer, kissing him. Taeyeon was no noob in kissing, Jessica realized that when he was skillfully answering her kisses. It wasn't rough but it was still passionate just the way Jessica wanted it.

An innocent kiss under the shade of the dim street light. It was so high school-ish but Jessica realized she liked it and that she liked Taeyeon more than she thought she did. And when Taeyeon didn't try shoving his tongue in the kiss, hands remaining firm in her hips, never once going up or going down, Jessica knew she found herself a keeper.

 

Please bear with the typos :) too sleepy to proofread lol