Chapter 11

Beneath Your Beautiful

THIS IS A DOUBLE UPDATE, PLEASE READ FROM CHAPTER 10 :)

A tired looking Jessica emerged from her room and Krystal stopped on her tracks, looking at her sister like she was the weirdest thing on Earth at that moment. Jessica didn’t seem to notice her as the older Jung continued walking lazily towards the kitchen. Krystal followed and observed her sister as she mechanically prepared breakfast.

“Unnie, are you okay?” she finally said, making her sister jump up a little.

“Krystal,” Jessica said, clutching her chest. “You scared me. Don’t do that again.”

Krystal furrowed her brows as she walked to the dining table, sitting in her usual chair. “I’ve been here since you entered the kitchen, unnie.” She took a slice of bread from the table and munched on it. “I think you didn’t notice me but I saw you when you got out of your room.”

Jessica already had her back towards Krystal when she said, “I didn’t see you. Maybe I’m just tired.”

“Why? You went home early yesterday.”

“I..” Jessica stopped chopping the vegetables she was going to put in the fried rice. “I didn’t get much sleep.”

“Why?”

Jessica turned around, facing Krystal. The younger Jung’s right brow raised at the flushed cheeks of her sister. “I was.. deciding.”

Krystal’s curiosity grew. “About what?”

“What to wear.. f-for later.”

“Why? What’s the occasion?”

“I--” Jessica bit her lower lip, looking at Krystal’s curious eyes. “Taeyeon a-asked me for a date.” She swallowed.

“And?”

“A-And I said y-yes.”

Silence settled in the small kitchen and Jessica’s heartbeat raced as she wait for a reaction from Krystal, who had a straight face as she munched on another piece of bread.

“Well,” Krystal said, taking a bite from her bread. “Took him long enough to ask you for an official date.”

Jessica almost smiled. Almost. “You’re o-okay.. with that?”

“Unnie, you don’t have to ask permission from me.” Krystal shook her head. “You’re the older one, you should know better than me.”

“But I didn’t want to make you feel--”

Krystal laughed. “Unnie, oh my gosh,” she said, shaking her head once more. “Did you really think I’ll stop you from dating?”

Jessica just bit her lower lip, unable to find the answer to her sister’s question. Did she really think Krystal would stop her from dating?

Krystal rose up from her chair and walked towards Jessica. She stood in front of Jessica, holding the piece of bread she was previously eating and tried to feed Jessica, who immediately took a bite. Krystal smiled and hugged Jessica. “I’m okay,” she said. “I’m happy as long as you’re happy.”

Jessica held Krystal -who protested after a while- tighter against her body. “But it’s just a date, I don’t even know if I’ll end up with Taeyeon or not.”

“Exactly,” Krystal said. “It’s just a date. So why are you so worried about me not wanting you to be in a relationship again?”

“I--”

“Unnie, aren’t you going to let go of me now? You’re going to wrinkle my uniform.”

“No, I still want to hug my Baby Big. I think I missed you.”

Krystal scoffed. “You think.”

Silence once again settled between Jessica and Krystal as their thoughts strayed to the little girl they had adopted for days.

“I miss the annoying cat,” Krystal finally said, breaking the silence.

A smile grew in Jessica’s lips before she nodded. “Me too.”

**

It was thirty minutes past one in the afternoon. Jessica paced back and forth in front of her closet. Shirts were thrown haphazardly in her bed, jeans lie on the floor and shoe boxes laid open beside it. Her room was a mess.

She have never been this anxious for a date, not even when she was in high school. This was new. It had been too long since she went on a date, and she’s not even sure if she still remembers how to act on dates. She thought it would be awkward after the date, and she actually regrets saying yes, because she doesn’t want to be awkward around Taeyeon.

But then she remembers Taeyeon kissing her forehead. She remembers their nose brushing. She remembers almost kissing Taeyeon. And none of it felt awkward. At least not for long. They actually managed to laugh it off and acted like nothing happened. That was Taeyeon’s charm, she suppose. The guy could make everyone feel comfortable around him. Even Yohyun -who was afraid of him on the first day- became comfortable with Taeyeon immediately.

Jessica brought her attention back to the dresses that were hung in the closet. A white, floral dress caught her eyes and she smiled; finally finding something she likes. She paired it with a navy blue cardigan and her favorite flats.

She tidied her bed, returning the shirts and jeans in her closet before laying the dress and cardigan on the bed. She stared at it for a moment, wondering if it will look good on her. Then she remembers Taeyeon complimenting her almost everyday, even when she was just wearing her uniform. She always had a hard time believing those compliments, but then she got used to it and how Taeyeon was. It was flattering; those little compliments actually make her feel good. And Taeyeon never failed to make her feel good about herself. And she could never be any more thankful.

With a smile plastered on her face, Jessica moved to sit in front of her vanity mirror and started curling the tips of her hair.

**

Taeyeon looked down at the small piece of paper in his hand. It was an address Yuri had given him when he asked the other guy where he could buy flowers. Yuri sounded more excited than him about the date, going as far as offering to buy the flowers for him. Taeyeon thought it was weird, but knowing Yuri, he knew his best friend just wanted everything to be perfect. Taeyeon declined the offer though, reasoning that it would be more special if he choose the flowers himself. Yuri understood and gave him words of encouragements before they hung up.

Taeyeon’s footsteps came to a halt when he saw the familiar figure walking towards his direction, head hung low as he looked at his phone. Taeyeon’s lips broke into a wide grin upon recognizing the tall guy.

“Sooyoung!” he said, making the guy stop just a few feet away from him.

Sooyoung tilted his head back when he heard his name. He mirrored Taeyeon’s grin as he stepped closer to the short guy. “Taeyeon!” he said, extending his hand to shake Taeyeon’s. The shorter guy accepted the hand shake. “Wow, fancy meeting you here.”

Taeyeon nodded. “It’s nice to see you here, too. Where’s Yoona?”

“She’s in Busan.”

“Oh, you came to Seoul alone?”

Sooyoung slid his phone inside his pocket. “Yeah,” he said. “I had to meet up with someone.”

Taeyeon’s right eyebrow raised. “Are you cheating on Yoona?”

Sooyoung’s eyes widened before he vigorously shook his head no. “What made you think I’ll cheat on my wife?”

Taeyeon then laughed; his awkward and deep laughter filling the air around them. “I was just kidding,” he said. “I don’t think anybody would want to cheat on Yoona. Damn you’re already lucky if you get to talk to her!”

Sooyoung’s facial expression turned into a stern one as he looked into Taeyeon’s eyes, seemingly challenging the shorter guy. “Do you like my wife?”

“Of corse I do!” Taeyeon smiled. “Who wouldn’t? She’s such a sweet and nice woman.”

“Taeyeon.” Sooyung’s voice was flat and Taeyeon’s smile dropped instantly. “If you hit on my wife, I swear to--”

“Hey, hey.” Taeyeon shook his hands in front of him. “I didn’t mean it like that. I-I don’t like Yoona like that, okay?” He scratched his head. “I mean, I like Yoona as a friend.. sister.. something like that. N-Not the way you think I do.”

Sooyoung’s features relaxed. “Good,” he said. “At least we’re clear.”

The two guys stood awkwardly on the sidewalk as they let a few moment pass in silence.

“Hey,” Taeyeon said, breaking the silence. “I think I need help.”

Sooyoung furrowed his eyebrows at Taeyeon. “What kind of help?”

“You remember Jessica, right? The girl I was talking about when I went to your cafe in Busan?”

Sooyoung nodded once again. He could never forget that one girl who likes cucumber cakes.

“I, uhm, asked her for a date.. and she said yes. I wanted to buy her flowers but I don’t know what to get her.”

“No cucumber cake this time?” Sooyong looked at his wrist watch. “I can bake for her if your house is around here.”

Taeyeon frantically shook his head, remembering how that cucumber cake episode ended up. “No cucumber cake,” he said. “She’s allergic to cucumbers.”

“Really? I thought you said she likes cucumbers so much?”

Taeyeon laughed a little, remembering Krystal. “Her younger sister was just toying with me that time.”

Sooyoung mouths an ‘oh’ before looking around them, noticing the alleyway that led to a small flower shop. “Do you want to check the flower shop?” he said, pointing at the hidden establishment. Taeyeon nodded before they started walking towards it.

A few minutes later, they were already inside the flower shop, looking through the flower displays.

“What’s this Jessica like?” Sooyoung asked.

The corner of Taeyeon’s lips tugged upwards into a small smile upon hearing the name.

“She’s sweet, and really thoughtful. She likes to laugh, too. She’s bubbly when she’s not sleepy.”

Sooyoung shook his head. “Someone has fallen too deep, eh?” Sooyoung pulled out a bundle of purple lilacs from a basket. “These are nice.”

Taeyeon nodded, pulling a bundle of red roses from the basket beside the lilacs. “How about roses?”

“How about these purple roses?” Sooyoung lifted a bundle of purple roses to show Taeyeon.

“Why are you so obsessed with purple?” Taeyeon laughed, putting the red roses back to the basket.

“I’m not.” Sooyoung handed Taeyeon the purple roses. “It’s just that you don’t get to see purple roses often,” he said. “It will be more special because it’s not the ordinary red roses you can buy in the streets.”

Taeyeon thought about it for a second before nodding his head.

“And it would be perfect with cupcakes.” Sooyoung smiled. “Where’s your apartment? I can bake for Jessica.”

They walked to the counter for the bouquet arrangement.

“I live with my parents,” he said. “But you can bake there, if you want.”

“You still live with your parents? How old are you, fourteen?”

Taeyeon rolled his eyes. “My mother won’t let me go, she says she’ll miss me if I move out.”

“Aww, our Taeyeon is a momma’s boy.” Sooyoung reach out to pat Taeyeon’s head, who evaded the touch. Sooyoung laughed.

“I’m not,” Taeyeon grumbles. “I just don’t want my mother to be sad.”

Sooyoung chortled once again. “Whatever you say.”

They didn’t speak after that, gazes fixed at the bouquet of purple roses that was being prepared by the man behind the counter. It didn’t took long for the man to finish wrapping the bouquet and, with a polite smile, Taeyeon paid the man. “Thank you so much,” he said, slightly bowing.

The man nodded, “Good luck young man.” He then smiled at Taeyeon and Sooyoung before they both walked out of his shop.

**

Mrs. Kim looked at the tall guy who was diligently working in her kitchen. It was her first time seeing the guy. Taeyeon said Sooyoung was his name but that was all that she knew about him, besides the facts that Sooyoung obviously knows how to bake. She doesn’t mind the intrusion, though. Taeyeon said they were baking cupcakes to give to Jessica so she was okay with that. And whether or not the cupcakes were for Jessica, she was actually okay with Taeyeon bringing his friends over. It wasn’t like her son is a teenager, anyway.

In fact, at Taeyeon’s age, he should have been living alone in an apartment somewhere. But Mrs. Kim has a hard time accepting that her son is an adult now. She can’t let go of Taeyeon just yet. But she knows she’ll have to do it sooner or later. Especially now that she can see how Taeyeon is doing his best to pursue Jessica. It will just be a matter of years until her son marries Jessica, or another woman. And the thought scares her more than anything else.

“Mom?” Taeyeon looked up from the tray he was holding, gazing at his mother who stood by the kitchen door. “Are you okay?”

Mrs. Kim nodded her head and walked towards the island counter where Sooyoung was mixing the ingredients for his cupcake. “Where did you learn to bake, Sooyoung?”

The tall guy looked up, a smile crossing his face as he looked at Taeyeon’s mother. “My wife thought me how to bake when we decided to start a cafe in Busan.”

A surprised look crossed Mrs. Kim’s face for a moment. “You have a wife? And a cafe? And you’re from Busan? How old are you exactly?”

Taeyeon just stood there, confused as to why his mother sounded so perplexed at the information Sooyoung had given about himself.

“Yes, Mrs. Kim,” Sooyoung said. “I’m married and I live in Busan. My wife and I owns a cafe.” Sooyoung smiled kindly. “I’m twenty-five, Mrs. Kim.”

“Twenty-five? You’re a year younger than Taeyeon!” Mrs. Kim didn’t mean to say it like that, but she can’t seem to control her voice because of how surprised she was. “How long have you been married?”

Sooyoung looked at Taeyeon for a moment before looking back at Mrs. Kim. “We’ve been married for four years, Mrs. Kim.”

“That means you were twenty-one then,” Mrs. Kim said. “And your parents were okay with that?”

And then it hits Sooyoung. Mrs. Kim was just as terrified as his mother when he first told her he was going to marry Yoona. His mother had talked him into ‘thinking things through,’ but Sooyoung had thought it through for months and all the scenarios in his head ended up with him down on one knee, asking Yoona to marry him.

“My mother wasn’t very happy at first,” he said. “But she saw how happy I was with Yoona and she thought it was so silly of her to hold us back.”

Mrs. Kim’s expression became unreadable as she nodded at Sooyoung. “I can imagine how worried your mother was.”

“I understand what she was going through that time,” Sooyoung said. “It’s hard to let go of your child, especially when you think they still have so many things to learn. I know she only meant well.”

The warm smile gradually came back to Mrs. Kim’s face. “You’re a wise young man, I’m sure your wife is very lucky to have you.”

Sooyoung shook his head, a small smile breaking out of his lips as the image of his wife appeared on his mind. “I’m luckier to have her, Mrs. Kim.”

“I would love to meet your wife sometime soon, Sooyoung.”

Sooyoung nodded. “That would be lovely, Mrs. Kim.”

**

Time ticked by so quickly. It was already three in the afternoon when Sooyoung finished baking the cupcakes. It was the same cupcake flavor Yoona and Sooyoung had given Taeyeon in Busan. Sooyoung bade Taeyeon and his mother goodbye shortly after that, promising to come and visit again with Yoona.

Come three-thirty in the afternoon and Taeyeon was already pacing around their living room, donning a gray shirt, black and white striped sweater, black pants and a pair of his favorite creme-colored Chuck Taylor’s. He didn’t want to overdress, but somehow wanted to impress Jessica.

He was nervous and excited all the same.

When the clock finally struck fifteen minutes before four in the afternoon, Taeyeon gathered the bouquet and the box of cupcakes he was going to give Jessica. He was about to get his helmet when his mother came out of the kitchen, dangling his father’s car key in her hand. Taeyeon looked at her quizzically.

“I wouldn’t let you take Jessica by your motorcycle,” she said, smiling at her son as he moved closer to him. “It’s not safe, and not ideal for a first date.”

Taeyeon smiled at his mother, taking the key from her. “So that’s why dad left his car today? Because you asked him?”

“He wanted to make sure you and your date comes home in one piece, too.” Mrs. Kim chuckled. “Now, go and don’t keep Jessica waiting.”

Taeyeon hugged his mother. “Thank you,” he said. “You guys are the best.”

“Of course, of course.” Mrs. Kim pushed Taeyeon away from her, urging him to move faster.

**

Taeyeon let out a deep breath before getting out of the driver’s seat. With long and nervous strides, he crossed Jessica’s lawn before standing at her porch. Three knocks later, the door opened, revealing Jessica in a floral dress and a navy blue cardigan. Her hair was braided to the side and Taeyeon thought she looked like one of those print-ad models. Jessica looked nothing short of perfect with her minimal make up. She looked so fresh, different from the distress looking nurse Jung he used to see in the hospital. Not that Jessica wasn’t beautiful to begin with, because she had always been. But the Jessica that stood by the door looked different.. radiant.. glowing. Taeyeon didn’t know how to put it into words but Jessica definitely looked beautiful.

“Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon blinked at Jessica, ridding himself from all the thoughts. He smiled at Jessica and she smiled back. He extended a hand towards her, which she took after a few seconds, guiding her out of her house. Jessica locked the door before they walked to the car.

“You borrowed your father’s car again,” Jessica said when Taeyeon opened the passenger door for her.

“My mother insisted,” he said, motioning for Jessica to get in. “She wouldn’t let you ride my bike again.”

Jessica’s cheeks blushed at the statement. She buckled her seatbelt before Taeyeon closed the door and walked to the driver’s seat, getting in and buckling his seatbelt too. They started driving out of the village in silence, Jessica’s eyes catching a glimpse of the bouquet and white box at the backseat but she did not say a thing.

The whole ride to the Han River was spent in silence, save for the music from the car’s stereo. Jessica couldn’t complain though, for it was the kind of silence that she likes - comfortable.

After parking the car and getting out of it, Taeyeon and Jessica walked towards the grass covered ground near the riverbank. There were people on the ground with their plaid blankets, children played with their parents and lovers sat quietly on the picnic tables. Everyone wore simple and comfortable clothes. Jessica frowned, looking down at her dress. Taeyeon noticed the frown and mentally panicked, thinking that Jessica didn’t like the place.

Before his thoughts could go anywhere, however, Jessica looked at him. “I think we’re a bit overdressed,” she said as her gaze fell onto Taeyeon’s shirt and sweater. “Yeap, we are a bit overdressed.”

Taeyeon didn’t know what to answer. He wanted to impress Jessica so he ditched his usual Ironman t-shirts for the date. However, he failed to remember that the place was supposed to be where people go after exercising. So, of course, people wear comfortable clothes here. But he wanted so much to show Jessica the sunset, that’s why he chose the park for their first date.

Taeyeon looked away from Jessica briefly before he turned back to look at her. Their eyes met, gazes locked and they just broke out into a laughing fit. Jessica didn’t know what exactly made her laugh. Maybe it was the fact that they were wearing something that were supposed to be worn when you go to the church, or maybe it was the fact that the place made her feel light hearted, never mind if their outfit looks so out of place.

“Should we sit there, Miss Jung?” Taeyeon said, extending a hand towards Jessica as his other hand pointed at an empty picnic table. Jessica smiled and took Taeyeon’s hand, letting him guide her towards the table.

When they settled down, Taeyeon looked around before he waved at someone. Jessica followed the direction Taeyeon was looking at, only to see Yuri with a basket in his hands. She smiled at Yuri as the guy came closer to their table.

“Sorry I’m late,” Yuri said, laying the basket on the table. “I had to buy Fany a cake first.”

Jessica just stared curiously at Yuri while Taeyeon stood up to shake his best friend’s hand.

“Thanks Yul,” he said. “Tell Tiffany we said hi.”

Yuri nodded his head. “No problem.” He turned to Jessica and said, “Enjoy your date.”

Yuri immediately walked back to his car even before Jessica could answer him.

“What was Yuri doing here?” she asked.

Taeyeon opened the picnic basket, producing a cup of Mango Kreme and Mocha Latte from it. He handed Jessica the yellow-colored beverage. It was from Krispy Kreme. Jessica smiled and thanked Taeyeon before she was given a doughnut.

“I asked him if he could bring us food,” Taeyeon answered before sipping from his mocha latte.

“We could just have bought it ourselves,” Jessica said. “We shouldn’t have bothered Yuri and Tiffany.”

“It’s okay, Yuri actually insisted to buy for us. He thought my food choices aren’t that good.” Taeyeon chuckled. “Tiffany freaked out when I told them I brought you, Krystal and Yohyun to eat street food.”

Jessica chuckled. “But the food was great,” she said. “Even Krystal thinks so.”

“But Yuri thought I was being cheap.”

“Well, I don’t think you were being cheap.” Jessica sipped from her drink. “I thought it was nice of you to bring us there. It was something new and we definitely liked it.”

“I’d take you places if I could,” Taeyeon said, his eyes set on Jessica’s once again. “When I look at you, I have this huge urge to show you the world.”

Jessica chuckled awkwardly, trying to hide the blush that crept up to her cheeks. “You’re being awfully cheesy, Taeyeon.” She took a bite from her doughnut, trying to distract herself and Taeyeon.

Taeyeon chuckled and pushed a napkin towards Jessica. “But I do,” he said. “I honestly feel that way, Sica.”

Jessica didn’t answer.

“I’m sorry if I always make you feel uncomfortable."

Jessica shook her head. “No, Taeyeon, you don’t.” She smiled at him. “I’m just-- t-this is something new.. b-between us, I mean.” Jessica bit her lower lip. “I d-don’t know what you expect from me--us.”

Taeyeon reached out across the table and squeezed Jessica’s hand lightly. “I’m not expecting anything, Sica.” He let go of her. “I just want you to know me more. I just want you to know how I really feel about you.”

“I-I think I kind of have an idea about that, Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon smiled shyly at Jessica. “I was that obvious, huh?”

Jessica nodded with a smile before a comfortable silence settled between them. They chose to finish their doughnuts and drinks in silence - Taeyeon stealing glances at Jessica every now and then.

Taeyeon noticed that half of the people had vacated the park. He peeked at his wrist watch and realized that it had been a little past five in the afternoon. He looked up at Jessica, who was staring at the river.

“Sica, are you okay?”

Jessica turned to face Taeyeon. “I’m okay,” she said. “But I’m worried about Krystal.”

“Do you want to go home now?”

Jessica bit her lower lip again. She didn’t want to ruin the date by going home early but she was worried about her sister. It was already past five and she was sure Krystal already returned from school. Krystal had a spare key, the only problem was that her sister doesn’t know how to cook. But, Krystal wouldn’t be so dense to wait for her, right? She would have the common sense to call for delivery.

Not wanting to disappoint Taeyeon, Jessica shook her head. “I’m sorry, I don’t want to ruin this date.” She looked around. “It’s okay if we stay for a little longer.”

“Are you sure?” Taeyeon said. “It’s okay if we go home now, Sica, I understand.”

“No, it’s really fine, Taeyeon. I think Krystal can handle herself.”

Taeyeon wasn’t convinced. He was actually worried for the younger Jung, too, realizing that Krystal will be alone in their house. He took out his phone and started typing on it. “Will it be okay if Krystal stays at our house until we get home?”

A look of surprise crossed Jessica’s features for a moment. “I-It’s not necessary, Taeyeon. She’ll be fine at home.”

Taeyeon shook his head before sliding his phone back to his pocket. “I would feel bad if she stays alone in your house. Plus, I think my mother would love to see Krystal again since Hayeon have been talking non-stop about your sister at home.”

“Your sister really dotes on my sister, huh?”

Taeyeon chuckled. “Hayeon is the same as Krystal; she’s very selective with people. So I understand why she dotes on Krystal so much.”

Jessica nodded. “Thank you, Taeyeon, for caring about Krystal.”

Taeyeon smiled at Jessica before turning his head towards the river, noticing that the sky was gradually turning into a hue of orange and pink. The smile on Taeyeon’s face widened before he turned back to Jessica. “Look at the sky, Sica.” He pointed at the sky and its reflection on the river. “It’s so pretty, right?”

Jessica followed the direction Taeyeon was pointing and immediately saw the setting sun that reflected on the river. It was, indeed, beautiful. It was her first time seeing the sunset again; the last time was when she was still in college. Since she started working, she always got out of the hospital early in the morning and slept the whole day (waking up just to cook for herself and Krystal, then falling back to sleep again) until she gets ready for work again. She almost forgot how beautiful sunsets were. She almost forgot how breathtaking they were.

“Did you like it?” Taeyeon said. “I purposely chose this spot because the sunset is clearer here.”

Jessica nodded with a smile, eyes still fixed at the magnificent sky. “It’s so beautiful, Taeyeon.”

“It is extremely beautiful,” Taeyeon said as he looked intently onto Jessica’s face. The color of the sky seemed to have reflected on Jessica’s skin as she glowed with the faint color of orange. Taeyeon thought she looked like an angel, and if he was a painter, he would have painted her right then and there.

“You look so beautiful, Sica.” Taeyeon didn’t know what came over him but he blurted it out. Before he could take the words back to save himself from the embarrassment, Jessica was already looking at him with flushed cheeks. And he realized he doesn’t really want to take the words back, because Jessica is beautiful and she deserved to hear it every minute of the day.

“T-Thank you, Taeyeon.” Jessica’s voice was low and Taeyeon smiled, turning his head back towards the setting sun. Darkness was slowly settling in the sky and the lamp posts in the park were already being lit up. Taeyeon opened the picnic basket once again, taking out the food containers from it before laying them on the table.

“I didn’t know what you’d like to eat tonight so I just asked Yul to get you the sweet and sour pork from yesterday. I hope you don’t mind.” Taeyeon pushed the food container and chopsticks towards Jessica. He then took out three scented candles and a matchbox. He arranged the candles at the center of the table before lighting them up. He saw Jessica smile shyly before ducking her head to open her food. Taeyeon took out all the remaining contents of the picnic basket - a bottle of wine, two wine glasses and the plastic containing a baked macaroni.

After the candlelit dinner (sort of, kind of), Taeyeon and Jessica sat side by side on the ground, gazes fixed on the reflection of city lights in the river while they talked. It was one of those conversations that Jessica doesn’t have to will herself to listen and talk. Because it was with Taeyeon. And talking to Taeyeon had always been comfortable, relaxing even. Talking to Taeyeon feels like talking to an old friend. Like they’ve been friends for lifetimes. Of course it wasn’t like that, but Jessica can’t help but think that she’s closer to Taeyeon than she’s ever been to Sunny and Eli. But that didn’t bother her - surprisingly so.

“When we were younger, I never thought this would happen,” Taeyeon said after a moment of silence fell between them. Jessica tore her eyes from the reflection of lights on the river, dancing with the small waves the wind created, to look at Taeyeon with a questioning gaze. Taeyeon didn’t see that, though. He had his eyes fixed on the water, as if he was too shy to look at Jessica.

“What exactly is this?” Jessica turned her head back towards the water. Taeyeon wouldn’t look at her anyway.

“I mean, all of these.” Taeyeon smiled to himself. “You, spending time with me. You, talking to me. You, going to places with me..” He trailed off, looking to his side - to Jessica. She was so pretty even under the dim lights of the posts. A loose strand fell from her ear and Taeyeon fought the urge to tuck it back. “And you.. letting me in.”

There was a small smile in Jessica’s lips as she listened to Taeyeon with her eyes still fixed on the water. She didn’t dare look at Taeyeon because she knew she will just be drawn to those dark orbs. Letting out a nod, Jessica hugged herself. It was starting to get cold and darker.

A fabric landed on Jessica’s back and she didn’t have too look to know that Taeyeon had draped his sweater over her small figure. Another smile formed in Jessica’s lips as she turned to finally look at Taeyeon. “Thank you,” she said in a soft voice. Taeyeon returned the smile before they sat quietly again.

The cold wind blew past them just moments after and not long after, there were drizzles falling onto their heads. Taeyeon immediately stood up, extending a hand to pull Jessica up to her feet. They didn’t waste time and ran to the nearest shed they could get. With a frustrated sigh, Taeyeon raked his hands through his hair. It wasn’t supposed to end up like that. It was supposed to be a first date to remember where they would lie under the starlit sky. It wasn’t supposed to rain. He checked the weather forecast for the day and it wasn’t supposed to rain.

A giggle from his side had Taeyeon turning to look at Jessica with a quizzical look on his face.

“Why do you look so distressed? It’s just rain,” Jessica said, tying the sleeves of Taeyeon’s sweater around her neck.

“Yeah, but it totally ruined the d-date. It wasn’t supposed to end up like this.”

Jessica scoffed playfully, turning her head forward as she watch the rain pour. “How was it supposed to end, then?”

Something in Taeyeon clicked and he smiled before pulling Jessica out from the shed, eliciting squeals from the head nurse. That was how they do it in movies, and girls love it when guys play with them under the rain. And maybe, he thought, Jessica would like it too.

“Taeyeon what are you doing?” Jessica squealed as Taeyeon continued pulling her towards their previous spot in the park. “We might get sick.”

Taeyeon stopped, turning to face Jessica with an adorable grin that never fails to melt Jessica’s heart. He was doing it again, and Jessica knew she couldn’t say no to that adorable face. “Fine,” she said. “What do you want?”

Taeyeon’s face lit up and Jessica let out a chuckle. He took her hand and looked at Jessica straight in the eyes. “Will you dance with me?”

Jessica’s eyes widened. “What? Right here? Right now?” She had an incredulous look on her face. “But it’s raining, Taengoo.”

Taeyeon nodded. “Well, doesn’t that make it more special? I mean, what’s more special than dancing in the rain?” Taeyeon chuckled. “And you can’t say no since we’re already soaked.”

Jessica shook her head with a smile. It was so childish but she can’t deny it was something she always wanted to try. “Do I even have a choice?” She doesn’t think she has, actually. Not when Taeyeon was looking at her with those expectant, cute little eyes. Of course she could never say no.

“Actually, no.” Taeyeon put Jessica’s hands around his neck carefully as he put his on her waist. There was a decent space between them but Taeyeon could swear Jessica could hear his heart that was pounding loudly against his chest. It wasn’t the first time that he’s been this close to Jessica, but everytime that happens, his world seem to spin faster. Jessica makes him dizzy - but in a good way.

“But don’t we look stupid?” Jessica said. The sound of the rain hitting the ground faded in the background and all Taeyeon could hear was Jessica and his pounding heart. “I mean, look at us,” Jessica added with a chuckle. “We’re dancing without music.”

Taeyeon just stared at Jessica, not being able to answer her as they sway in a slow manner. He didn’t know how to explain to Jessica that he was, actually, hearing music. Melodies. Songs that were new but familiar. But it could be just him and his mind that was playing tricks on him. But he could swear, there was a faint song at the back of his head. Then he realized, it was the song he always dedicated to the snobby girl form high school. It was the song he always dedicated to Jessica. He smiled and started humming to it.

“Why don’t you sing us a song, then.” Jessica’s voice wasn’t mocking, her eyes looking at Taeyeon expectantly through the droplets of rain on their faces.

“What do you want me to sing?” He wasn’t really sure he wanted to sing for them since he was never into singing - but he was willing to do it for Jessica.

“I don’t know, you choose.”

They were still swaying under the rain. It was cold, but none of them seemed to care. Or the fact that they might soak the car seats. But none of that was of Taeyeon’s concern for the moment.

Wise men say,” Taeyeon started. “Only fools rush in..

A smile danced along the corners of Jessica’s lips at the recognition of the song. Coincidentally, it was her parents’ theme song. She always heard her father sing that to her mother when she was young.

But I can’t help falling in love with you..

They continued dancing, and Taeyeon continued singing, losing themselves in the moment. That was one of the perks of being with Taeyeon; he always make every moment special.

By the time the rain stopped, Jessica and Taeyeon were already shuddering from the cold. When they let go of each other, their eyes locked and laughter erupted from their mouths. They were soaking wet - Taeyeon’s hair drooped over his forehead, making him look like a kid from elementary school. His shirt was sticking to his body and Jessica fought the urge to stare at his abs that became visible. She handed him his sweater instead, although it would do nothing because it was just as wet as his shirt. But at least, she thought, there would be something to cover his body. God, why did Taeyeon have to wear a thin shirt and decide to dance under the rain.

Taeyeon smiled as he took the sweater from Jessica, slipping it back to his body. “I don’t think we can sit in my father’s car like this,” he said, gesturing at their wet forms. Jessica nodded.

“Let’s buy clothes first.”

Taeyeon nodded. “Let’s go.”

 

**

Taeyeon and Jessica stood by the rack of clothes inside a boutique. They were lucky there was still an open boutique that was just a walking distance. They didn’t need anything fancy because they just wanted something to change into so they looked through the cheaper clothes.

“How about these,” the attendant said, making Jessica and Taeyeon turn towards her. The young attendant held a pair of red sweat shirts in her hands. “These are couple shirts and I think they would fit the both of you perfectly.”

There was a shade of pink in Jessica’s cheeks as the word ‘couple’ rang in her ears. She wanted to tell the attendant that they weren’t a couple, but before she could speak, they were already being ushered into the dressing rooms.

After changing into the new set of clothes the attendant had given them, Jessica walked out of the dressing room. Taeyeon was already standing outside, waiting for her. He had the same red sweat shirt as her, only it was for males. He changed his pants into a pair of dark blue pants and he was wearing flip flops instead of his shoes. Jessica paired the sweat shirt with a skirt and a flat shoes she found in the boutique. They smiled at each other before walking to the counter to pay for their purchases. Of course Taeyeon insisted on paying for the both of them and Jessica learned not to argue with Taeyeon about that.

They walked back to where the car was parked. They were quiet, as if they were in deep thought when in fact, they were just waiting for the other to speak. None of them did until they reached the car. Taeyeon opened the door for Jessica before climbing inside the driver’s seat.

“Our shirts look good,” Jessica commented, breaking the silence. Taeyeon nodded with a smile before turning the ignition on.

“They do,” he said, maneuvering out of the parking lot. “It looks good on you.”

Jessica rolled her eyes. She was really getting used to Taeyeon’s compliments but sometimes she also think the guy was exaggerating things. “I take it as everything looks good on me?” she said jokingly.

Taeyeon scoffed mockingly. “Gee, I was just kidding. You’re so gullible.”

Jessica smacked his arm and they ended up laughing again. “So, you were just kidding this whole time?”

Taeyeon chuckled before briefly turning to look at Jessica. “No, of course not,” he said. “I mean everything I say, Sica.”

“Liar.”

“I would never lie to you.”

**

Krystal looked at her sister and her gym class instructor in front of her. They were wearing the same shirts as if they were a couple. And if they already were, she wasn’t informed. She felt cheated. Jessi never hide anything from her before.

“We got caught in the rain,” her sister spoke after a moment. Jessica recognized the knitted brows and pursed lips as a sign of comprehension. And the last thing she wanted was Krystal misunderstanding things. “We needed to change into dry clothes.”

Krystal mouths an ‘ohhh’ before looking at her gym class instructor. There was a stupid grin in Taeyeon’s face and Krystal fought the urge to kick the guy in the shin just for fun.

“Well, dinner was great and I ate a lot.” Krystal grinned at Jessica, who smiled at her.

“Do you want to go home now?” Jessica said. Krystal nodded, adjusting the strap of her backpack.

“But aren’t you going to say thank you to Hayeon’s mother first?” Krystal raised a brow at her sister, who bit her lower lip.

“I--”

“Taeyeon..” Just then, three people emerged from the big house in front of them. “Why are you all outside?” Mrs. Kim said, eyes traveling to Jessica. “Where are your manners, Taeyeon? Why didn’t you invite Jessica inside?”

Taeyeon scratched the back of his head, looking at Jessica with a silly smile. He knew Jessica feels shy around his parents. “I think Jessica needs to rest,” he said. “We got caught in the rain and I think she’s tired from all the walking we did to find clothes to change in.”

Mrs. Kim’s mouth formed into the shape of an ‘o’ as she nod her head. “Oh my, you should take a medicine as soon as you get home, darling.” She moved closer to Jessica, pressing the back of her hand at the young woman’s forehead. Jessica was startled at the contact but didn’t say anything. “You seem fine,” Mrs. Kim said. “But prevention is better than cure, right?” She smiled at Jessica.

Jessica smiled shyly at Taeyeon’s mother as she nodded her head.

“Mom, I think Jessica knows that.” Taeyeon took his mother’s hand from Jessica’s forehead. “She’s a nurse.”

“Well, somebody has to take care of nurses too, don’t you think?” It was Taeyeon’s father and Taeyeon inwardly groaned at his parents. They were acting like Jessica and him were teenagers.

“Anyway, you should take them home, Taeyeon, so they can rest.”

Taeyeon nodded, thanking the heavens that his parents didn’t insist for Jessica to stay for a ‘talk’.

“Thank you for taking care of Krystal, Mrs. Kim, Mr. Kim,” Jessica said. “I’m really sorry for bothering you.”

Mrs. Kim waved a hand at Jessica with a smile on her lips. “What bother are you talking about?” she said. “You and your sister are always welcome here.”

Jessica smiled and bowed at Taeyeon’s parents before turning to face Hayeon. “Thank you, Hayeon.”

Hayeon chuckled before nodding. “Anytime, unnie.”

After bidding the Kims goodbye, Taeyeon drove the sisters home.

“Thanks coach!” Krystal yelled, skipping towards the front door as she waved at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon just laughed at how energetic Krystal was.

“Thank you, Taeyeon.” Jessica said, making Taeyeon turn towards her. He smiled at her before opening the door to the backseat.

“Thank you, Sica.” He offered the bouquet and the box of cupcakes to Jessica. “I really enjoyed today.”

Jessica smiled, accepting the bouquet of purple roses and the white box.

“See you later, Taeyeon.”

“See you later, Sica.”

Jessica her heels, starting to walk towards their house when Taeyeon spoke again. “Good night, Sica. Have a sweet dream.”

Jessica gave him a smile once again as she said, “I think I’ll have a sweet dream tonight, Taengoo.” Then she continued walking to their house, leaving a smiling Taeyeon by the curb.

“That went well,” Taeyeon muttered to himself, twirling the car key in his index finger. Their first official date definitely went well.