Chapter 15

Beneath Your Beautiful

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU LISTEN TO THESE SONGS AS YOU READ :)

First song:

Second Song:

The insistent knocking on her window stirred Jessica awake. She groggily stared at the window, with its curtains drawn, wondering what or who was causing the noise. Looking at her bedside alarm clock, Jessica realized that it was still four in the morning. With curiosity, she slowly walked towards her window, her mind not really registering what she was doing. She was still half-asleep. Her hands automatically went to the curtains as she stood in front of the window, carefully drawing them open.

It was still dark outside when she took a peek. The insistent knocking had stopped and there was nobody outside. Terrified for what she would see, Jessica immediately let go of the curtains. Before it closed back, though, Taeyeon’s face appeared in her window. With confusion written all over her face, Jessica pulled the curtains back. It was really Taeyeon.

She immediately slid open the glass window. “Taeyeon?” she said, “Is there something wrong?”

“Hi,” Taeyeon said instead. “Sorry for waking you up this early.”

“Taeyeon, is there something wrong?” Jessica repeated.

Taeyeon smiled at Jessica. The guy looked like he could use some sleep. “No,” he said with a shake of his head. “Everything’s alright.”

Jessica nodded, waiting for Taeyeon to say more.

“I missed you,” Taeyeon said after a moment. “I couldn’t wait to see you, so I came as early as I could.”

Jessica laughed; a wonderful sound like wind chimes in a breezy day, resonating inside Taeyeon, making his heart flutter. “Taengoo, are you drunk?” Jessica said between giggles. “You’re very cheesy today.”

“I don’t think I need to be drunk to say those words to you.” Taeyeon shook his head. “No, I’m not drunk, Sica.”

Jessica took hold of Taeyeon’s face then and realized that the guy’s skin was so cold. “Why is your skin so cold?” she said, lips turning into a frown.

“It’s quite cold out here,” Taeyeon said sheepishly.

“Oh,” Jessica said. “Come inside, then.”

Taeyeon looked at Jessica for a few more moments, admiring the face that had captured his hearttime and again. Even without makeup, even with her hair a little messy and with sleepiness evident in her face, Jessica was still breathtaking. Taeyeon wondered how long he could stare until Jessica knocks the air out of him; literally and figuratively.

“Can you come outside instead?”

Jessica nodded before telling him to go back to the front door. When Taeyeon was out of sight, Jessica closed her window and immediately took a cardigan from her closet. She wasted no time to meet Taeyeon in her front door.

“Come inside,” she said when she opened the door for him. “I’ll make you coffee.”

“No, it’s okay.” Taeyeon smiled, reaching out for her hand. “Good morning,” he said before kissing the back of it.

Jessica can’t help the blush that had settled in her cheeks. It was one thing to wake up with Taeyeon outside her window, telling her how much he missed her; it was another to feel so special with just a simple gesture.

Then she saw it; the uncertainty in Taeyeon’s dark orbs. “Taengoo, what’s up?”

Taeyeon smiled sheepishly, scratching the back of his head. “Can you come with me for a moment, Sica?”

It was still dark, the sun hasn’t risen yet. Jessica thought it was still a little past four in the morning. “Where?”

“I can’t tell you,” Taeyeon said. “But I promise I won’t do anything that will make you hate me.”

Jessica rolled her eyes, playfully smacking Taeyeon’s arm. “Of course you won’t, silly.”

Taeyeon chuckled. “You trust me that much, huh?”

Jessica snorted. “But, anyway, can I just wash up first? I just woke up and I look—”

“Amazing,” Taeyeon finished for her. “You still look amazing. You don’t need to dress up. We really need to go now before the sun rises.”

Jessica giggled once more. “What, did you turn into a vampire now?”

“No,” Taeyeon said, turning Jessica so she was facing her house again before he gently pushed her inside. “I’m still very human. Now if you could write some notes for Krystal to tell her you’re with me so she won’t freak out when she wakes up and find you missing.”

Jessica had no plan in disobeying Taeyeon, so she did what she was told before they left for god knows where.

**

Jessica raised a brow at Taeyeon when they parked inside the hospital’s parking area. The confusion was immediately replaced by panic when she thought she had put two and two together. Maybe one of Taeyeon’s parents was in a serious condition. That would explain Taeyeon’s tired face, like he hadn’t slept all night. When Taeyeon walked silently towards her, Jessica can’t help but feel pity for the guy. She hugged him as soon as he stood in front of her. “What happened?” she said, still hugging him.

Taeyeon was confused but obviously liked the warmth Jessica’s body emitted. He felt like he could fall asleep right there and then, in Jessica’s arms. “What happened to what?”

Jessica pulled back then, looking at Taeyeon with confused eyes. “Why are we here? Are your parents okay? Hayeon, what about Hayeon? Is she okay?”

Taeyeon understood then and rubbed Jessica’s arms in an assuring manner. “They’re all well and... sleeping, Sica.” He fought the chuckle that was threatening to escape from his mouth. “Now, we have to go to what we really came here for.” He took out a white handkerchief from the pocket of his jeans. Jessica looked at the handkerchief; she thought it was vaguely familiar, like she had seen the handkerchief way before.

“Do you remember this?” Taeyeon said, grinning at Jessica. When Jessica didn’t answer, he continued; “You gave it to me when I scraped my knee in high school. That was the first time I saw you.”

Jessica’s brows jerked up in surprise. She does remember helping a boy before, but can’t remember who it was. “You... it was you?” she said, still surprised.

Taeyeon nodded, still grinning. “You were the first person who helped me in that school.”

“Oh Taengoo.” Jessica’s lips stretched into a small smile. “You kept it with you all these years. Although it isn’t as white as it was before anymore.” Jessica giggled, taking the handkerchief from Taeyeon and inspected it. “It has my initials in here,” she said, pointing at the white thread in the corner.

“It’s one of my most prized possessions,” Taeyeon said. “More important than my bike.”

“Now you’re exaggerating.”

“No, of course not.” Taeyeon chuckled. “Now, I need you to cover your eyes with it.”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon accusingly. “What are you up to, Kim Taeyeon?”

“Just trust me.”

Jessica was a little hesitant, but she did it anyway.

**

“Are we there yet?” Jessica asked for the fourth time. She was getting anxious as she was guided into places. She noticed they took the elevator for some time.

“Almost,” Taeyeon said just as the elevator dinged. He gently guided Jessica out of it and into the stairs to the rooftop.

“Taengoo, I’m getting tired,” Jessica whined.

“We’re almost there,” Taeyeon said. “Just three more steps.”

Jessica followed without another word, trusting Taeyeon in every step she took.

“We’re here,” Taeyeon announced with a shaky voice. Jessica wondered what was making the guy nervous.

“It’s cold,” Jessica commented when the morning air hit her. “Why is it cold?”

“Because we’re outside,” Taeyeon whispered. “I’ll take off your blindfold now.”

Jessica blinked her eyes as soon as the blindfold was taken off of it to adjust to her surroundings. The first thing she noticed were the candles that were the only source of light; then the rose petals that were scattered on the ground, forming a path towards what seemed like a big basket. It was very big that she thought it could fit six or seven people in it.

Then, with a clap of the hand from Taeyeon, music started playing from the corner and it was just then that Jessica realized there was a group of four boys, whom Jessica thought were high school students, in there. They were all dressed in suits and bow ties, complete with musical instruments like violins and cielo; that was also when Jessica realized that Taeyeon was in a semi-formal outfit too. “Taeyeon?” she said, asking an explanation from the guy.

Taeyeon merely smiled at Jessica before stretching a hand at her. “Can I have this dance?” he said in an unusual low voice.

Jessica put her hand on Taeyeon's without much persuasion. “But you have to tell me what's going on.”

Taeyeon nodded and walked them farther. The music kept playing in the background, almost nearing the song's chorus. He stopped just in time for the verse before the chorus, turning so that he was face to face with Jessica. He smiled, took her other hand and rest them on his shoulders. The music kept playing, but it was slowly getting drowned by the loud pounding of his heart in his chest; breaking his ribs and ripping his skin. He was nervous. He could feel his veins shaking beneath his skin. He could feel every small sweat in his forehead despite the cold morning air. Then he looked at Jessica; her eyes looking so curious and so... lovely. That's when Taeyeon felt his nerves relaxing, his heartbeat beating normally again.

When the song hit the chorus, Taeyeon started moving, his hands holding Jessica by the waist. They swayed to the sound of cielo and violins and viola, the cold morning air setting the mood just right.

“I wasn't there when you celebrated your eighteenth birthday,” Taeyeon said, breaking the silence between them. “So I'm making up to you now.”

Jessica laughed; gentle and pure. “So, today is my debut?” she teased, continuing their motion.

Taeyeon hummed. “And today I'm your first and last dance.”

Jessica's eyes momentarily traveled to the boys in the corner, the candles and flower petals on the ground, and the huge basket. “So you did all of these just because you missed my debut?”

Taeyeon grinned and nodded. “But not just because of that.” He looked over to the east, where the sky was slowly turning purple. “Sunny said you have never seen the sunrise.”

“And now you go around asking people about me,” Jessica joked. “Aren't you a little creepy, Coach Kim?”

Taeyeon just laughed, shrugging off the comment. “Anything for you, Nurse Jung.”

They smiled at each other, settling into a comfortable silence before the song reached its bridge and its end.

“Come,” Taeyeon said. “It's almost time.”

“For?”

“Sunrise,” Taeyeo said, letting go of Jessica's waist to hold her hand before gently pulling her towards the huge basket, just in time for the band to play another song.

Jessica smiled, remembering when she last heard the song - the night they danced under the rain.

“What is this?” she said when Taeyeon helped her inside the basket.

“Hot air balloon,” Taeyeon answered with a smile as he, too, hopped inside the basket.

Jessica's eyes widened. “What? How? I mean... isn't this... scary? What if--”

“Nothing's going to happen, I'm here. I'll never let anything happen to you.”

“You can't possibly know that.”

Taeyeon chuckled. “If you're so afraid of riding it, then why is it your 'dream romantic date'?”

Jessica opened to counter, only to close it again. How did Taeyeon even know? Nobody knows it except... Sunny. Of course, she thought, Sunny has something to do with this. “It was just a 'dream', okay.” She turned her back against Taeyeon, hiding her smile.

Taeyeon signaled the pilot to turn on the burners before moved behind Jessica, his chest almost pressing against her back. He held her by the arms. “Well,” he whispered. “I'm here to make those dreams come true.”

The smile on Jessica's face widened by then, still refusing to face Taeyeon. When she was sure that the blush had left her cheeks, she turned to face Taeyeon, only to be surprised at the close proximity of Taeyeon's smiling face.

“You look so adorable when your eyes widens like that,” he said, gently pinching Jessica's cheek.

“Taengoo,” Jessica whined, gently pushing Taeyeon away from her. She was afraid that she would faint in front of Taeyeon due to lack of oxygen. He was suffocating and freeing at the same time and Jessica was so sure she was going to lose her mind if Taeyeon moved a little closer. And maybe he understood that, because Taeyeon stayed at the center, stretching out a hand for Jessica to take. When she did, she realized that they were slowly floating off the ground, the music still playing.

But I can't help falling in love with you,” Taeyeon sang softly as he watched Jessica walk closer to him, his eyes never leaving hers.

By the time they were high above the ground of the rooftop, the sky started turning brighter - a light shade of pink and orange. Jessica looked at the rays of the sun that escaped the cloud, forming a straight line of yellowish orange. It was so beautiful that she couldn't even find any words to describe it. The city lights were still lit up in the world below, twinkling like little stars from the distance. She could clearly see a part of the Han River, which was so calm it looked like a painting, mirroring the colors of the new day.

Jessica inhaled, eyes fluttering close as she did so.

Take my hand,” she heard Taeyeon sang, now without the accompanying music, his voice a little shaky. Jessica opened her eyes with a smile on her lips. “Take my whole life, too.”

Taeyeon took Jessica's other hand so he was holding both of her hands now, his eyes boring into hers. “For I can't help, falling in love with you.”

He brought Jessica's hands into his lips, kissing the back of it. “Did you like it?”

Jessica nodded, still at a loss for words. From the corner of her eyes, she could see the elderly man, who controls the balloon, smiling at them.

“I wanted to tell you some heart fluttering words,” Taeyeon started again. “But I realized I couldn't.”

Jessica raised a questioning brow at Taeyeon.

“Coz everytime I think about you, everytime I see you, my mind couldn't process anything but you and your eyes and your... lips.” Taeyeon smiled sheepishly. “So I gave up on trying to write a poem for you,” he said. “Because there will never be enough words to describe how special you are. How amazing. How... breathtaking.”

Jessica felt like her heart was going to drop any time soon, her stomach fluttering. The intensity in Taeyeon's eyes made it hard to breathe. The way his words float in the air before seeping into her bones. The way his touch sent tingles into the sole of her feet and the palms of her hands, making the hairs at the back of her neck rise, and how perfect everything was in that moment. Jessica wished she could stop time and wrap herself inside Taeyeon's arms.

“I never thought it was possible,” Taeyeon continued. “To love someone this much... this long.” He tucked a stray hair behind Jessica's ear. “But, I did... I do... love you, so much that I feel like my heart's going to explode from all the feelings I have for you.”

Jessica smiled, totally relating to what Taeyeon feel. She brought his hand to her cheeks, kissing his palm before nestling her face on them.

“Jessica,” Taeyeon said. “I know you haven't known me for a long time yet--”

“But I feel like I do,” Jessica cut Taeyeon off.

Taeyeon smiled, rubbing his thumbs against Jessica's cheeks in a gentle motion. “Jessica,” he said, face as serious as he had ever been. He gently tilted Jessica's face towards the west. “I know you wouldn't mind but, if I could, I would give you the moon and the sun.” He pointed at the setting moon that was barely there. He took out a bracelet from his pocket, position his thumb and index finger at the setting moon, as if taking it from the sky. “But Krystal would be lonely if I do that,” he said. “Since she loves the moon so much.”

Jessica chuckled. “I don't think she'll mind if it was you, though.”

“But I still don't want her getting upset at me.” Taeyeon brought the bracelet in front of Jessica's face. “So I'll give you this, instead.” He unclasped the lock of the bracelet and put it around Jessica's right wrist. It was a bracelet with a moon and a sun in it. “To remind you that, just like the moon and the sun, I will be here day or night. Beside you. For as long as you like.”

Jessica admired the bracelet that was now sitting in her wrist. Taeyeon sure know how to choose. “Thank you,” she said. “You always leave me speechless, Taengoo. I can't possibly say anything as cheesy as that.”

Taeyeon chuckled. “There's only one thing I want to hear from you, though.” His heart was pounding loud again.

“What is it, Coach Kim?”

Taeyeon stepped back a little, giving Jessica room to breathe. “Jessica, I've long wanted to ask you this. I have had many dreams about this, each of them ending with you walking away from me. They said that dreams are actually the opposite of what's going to happen n real life.” He cleared his throat. “And I hope they were right.”

Jessica had an idea of what was coming and she can't help the smile that had stretched from her face.

“Jessica, Sooyeon, Sica.. please, be my girlfriend.”

The smile on Jessica's face never faltered as she stepped closer to Taeyeon, tip-toeing as she pressed her lips into his without a word. He did not respond for a split moment; he couldn't, he was feeling lost. But then he realized what the kiss meant. They did not need words. They never needed words, even before. It was like that between the two of them. So he held Jessica in his arms, her hands resting on his chest as he ducked his head so Jessica wouldn't need to tip-toe. He kissed Jessica so passionately that she almost forgot her name, forgot that they were seventy feet above the ground, inside the basket of a hot air balloon, held only by a thick rope so they wouldn't move away from the hospital building.

When they pull away to take in their much needed oxygen, Jessica's head rested on Taeyeon's chest, his right hand the back of her head ever so gently. She listened to Taeyeon pounding heart. She smiled at the realization that their heartbeats are in-sync, going into their own rhythm that only the both of them knows.

“I love you, Sica,” Taeyeon whispered, kissing the top of Jessica's head.

Jessica tilted her head to look at Taeyeon, who was looking down at her. “I love you, Taengoo,” she said with a smile before nestling her head back in his chest.

The sound of Taeyeon's heartbeat against her ear was then replaced by the sound of him humming.

Jessica knew the song, it was becoming very familiar now and, she thought, maybe like her parents, it will be their theme song, too.

Like the river flows, gently to the sea,” she sang, accompanying Taeyeon's humming. “Some things are meant to be,”

When they untangled from each other, the sky was already so bright, the street lights now turned off and the world below them went on with their same old, usual routines. But in Taeyeon and Jessica's world, it was just the beginning of something they both had always looked forward to - finding the one they are meant for.