Chapter 3

Beneath Your Beautiful

Jessica isn’t sure how or when exactly did Taeyeon-shi became just Taeyeon, before eventually becoming Taengoo. It may have been one of those nights that he would bring her dinner and they would talk for a while that the guy had talked about his childhood and his old nickname –Taengoo. Jessica found it odd at first; how someone could openly share their childhood with a mere stranger. Well, they weren’t exactly strangers strangers, but they still didn’t know much about each other yet, despite coming from the same high school. She felt guilty that she didn’t know Taeyeon back then while the guy knows her, knows the guys she’d been with in high school and her friends back then. Taeyeon openly stated his dislike of the guy she’s been with the longest, Lee Donghae, the captain of the soccer team. Jessica was a er for soccer players and the guy happened to ask her out on a date, which lead her to eventually saying yes without second thoughts. It was funny how Krystal and Taeyeon shares the same hate for the guy, althoughshe understands why Krystal hates the guy despite being really young and clueless about relationships back then; Krystal thought Donghae was stealing Jessica from her. With Taeyeon though, Jessica has no idea. Maybe he has personal issues with Donghae in high school.

It had been two weeks since Taeyeon came to the hospital with cucumber cake and cupcakes and since then, the guy never failed to bring Jessica dinner. She would lie if she’ll say she doesn’t like it, but she's worried too; she’s worried that she’s becoming too comfortable with Taeyeon. But she could never resist the guy and how dorky he is. If it had been any other guy, Jessica would’ve had rolled her eyes at the lame and old jokes. But Taeyeon was different; there was something about the innocent face and dorky dimpled-chin smile that would always make Jessica burst out laughing, head thrown back and all.

And as expected from Krystal, the younger girl made a face of disgust at the new found friendship. But Jessica saw beyond the façade; Krystal was happy.

“Hey beautiful,”

A smile instantly plastered on Jessica’s face as she turned to face the owner of the voice. Her smile widened at the food containers being laid down on the granite counter she stood by.

“How was your day?” Taeyeon said, being the gentleman that he is.

Jessica eyed the food before turning her attention back to Taeyeon, “Fine but I’m hungry.”

Taeyeon laughed. Weird and something good to the ears.

“Why do you always laugh like that? You sound like an old man.” Jessica said, feigning annoyance which only gained a louder laugh from the guy.

“You’re really annoying.” Jessica said and moved to take the food containers, only for Taeyeon’s hand to stop her.

“Let’s go somewhere.” He said, taking back the food containers with him.

Jessica looked at him like he had two heads.

“What?” Taeyeon said, scratching the back of his head.

“I have work? Duh.”

“Oh, that. I actually asked Sunny and she said she’ll handle things here. Just 30 minutes. I promise it won’t take that long.”

“You do realize that I’m the head nurse, right?”

“Of course! The young and beautiful head nurse Jessica Jung. How could I ever forget?” Taeyeon said, grinning cheekily towards Jessica.

Jessica looked off to the side, hiding her blush. It wasn’t the first time that someone had called her beautiful but hearing it from someone who doesn’t look at her like she was a meal; she can’t deny it feels rather flattering.

“So?” Taeyeon said, voice urging and pleading at the same time.

“I don’t really know.”

“Thirty minutes. Please, Jessica?”

Jessica bit her lower lip, head whipping from side to side only to find the hospital lobbies void of any person. She heaved a defeated sigh before nodding, “Fine.”

Jessica almost burst out laughing at Taeyeon’s face; eyes wide open, grin the widest Jessica had ever seen, chin dimple appearing as he gave her a thumb up. Cute.

“Come on, my thirty minutes starts now.” Taeyeon said as he pulled Jessica to the lift.

“Wow, did you just see that?” Eli said in amazement as they stepped out of their hiding place.

“I know. Wow. That Taeyeon guy is really something. Nurse Jung normally rejects impromptu dates.” Sunny said, propping her elbow on the granite counter.

“Wrong. Nurse Jung never go on dates. Ever. Except maybe when she was in high school. Heard she was pretty popular back then.”

Sunny could only nod; she never saw Jessica become this close to anyone before, let alone a gullible guy like Taeyeon. What a progress.

**

“Taeyeon?” Jessica asked as she struggled to walk. Two hands were covering each of her eyes and she was being guided to... somewhere.

Hearing no answer from the guy, Jessica cursed under her breath.

“Taeyeon Kim, I swear to god you are not getting away with this!”

A chuckle resounded on her left ear before they stopped walking.

“Taengoo!”

A hearty laughter escaped Taeyeon’s mouth; this probably is the only time he ever liked his old nickname.

“Fine, fine.” Taeyeon said as he slowly removed his hands from Jessica’s eyes.

Jessica blinked, and blinked, and blinked; adjusting her eyes to her surroundings. fell slightly agape as she took in the sight in front of her; a square table with two chairs, white tablecloth with two plates of pasta and a slice of pizza on each side, throw pillows were scattered on the ground of the rooftop and occasional purple balloons were hung on the makeshift roof with little lights twirled around each of the four wooden sticks that supported the makeshift roof.

“I remembered your birthday is tomorrow and it’s your day off. I’m not sure if you’d like to go out or just sleep since you’ve been so tired these days. So I took the chance to celebrate with you...” he looked over his wrist watch, “..three hours before your birthday.”

Jessica felt like her heart beat faster as Taeyeon moved in front of her with a bouquet of red roses in hands, smile never leaving his handsome face.

“Happy birthday, Jessica. I didn’t brought you any cake since I still don’t know what cake you like..” Taeyeon handed her the flowers, “Krystal stopped talking to me and I don’t really know why.”

“H-how did you know? My birthday..”

“I remembered. I told you, we went to the same school in high school and you were really popular back then.”

Jessica mouths an ‘oh’ before letting out a “Right.”

“So, should we sit now? My thirty minutes’ almost over.” Taeyeon grinned, pulling the chair for Jessica to sit.

The setup wasn’t like any of those in fairy tales, to be honest, and it definitely wasn’t something Jessica haven’t seen yet. But the thought of Taeyeon taking the time to set it up for her and the sincerity in those chocolate brown eyes that tells her Taeyeon didn’t just want to get in her pants like other guys would. Jessica was just glad that the guy’s eyes never lied.

They talked, and talked until it was time to go. Jessica giggled when Taeyeon pouted while looking at his wrist watch, not wanting the moment to end just yet. But work is work and Jessica will be needed on the E.R. soon.

“Thank you, Taengoo. Really,” she said as they rose up from their respective seats.

Taeyeon nodded, “Happy birthday again, Jessica. May all of your wishes come true.”

Jessica answered her with a smile, a sweet one which she barely shows anybody, before they started walking back to the stairs.

The walk had been silent, save for the squeaking of Taeyeon’s sneakers before they arrived on the fifth floor of the hospital where they took the lift once again.

“Here,” Taeyeon said as he took out a gift-wrapped box.

Jessica eyed the box before looking questioningly at Taeyeon, “Where’d you get that? I didn’t see you holding that earlier.”

Taeyeon chuckled as he handed Jessica the gift, which the girl took almost immediately.

“You take care of it, alright?”

Jessica wanted to ask what was ‘it’ but decided to just nod. After all, taking care of ‘it’ is the least she could do to pay Taeyeon back for all the possible troubles he might have gone through setting up her birthday dinner.

Taeyeon and Jessica walked out of the lift as soon as it reached the ground floor, with Jessica carrying the gift-wrapped box and the bouquet of flowers.

“Bye Jessica. Thank you for tonight, I really had fun.” Taeyeon said, stopping just when he was out of the lift.

“Where are you going?” Jessica said when she saw Taeyeon pushing a button on the lift again.

“Rooftop. Need to clean the mess or I’ll never be able to visit you here again.” He said as the elevator door opened.

“T-Taengoo!” Jessica said when Taeyeon entered the lift. Taeyeon held the elevator door open as he looked questioningly at her.

“L-Let me help you,” she said, briskly walking towards the lift, leaving Taeyeon no choice but to agree.

“It’ll be easier if there are two of us,” Jessica said, making Taeyeon grin like a love fool he is.

**

“What’s in the box?”

Jessica was startled when Sunny spoke from behind her. She tore her eyes away from the flowers to glare at the younger girl before letting out a harsh, “None of your business.”

Sunny just rolled her eyes, noticing the softness in the deathly glare they were so used to.

“Aren’t you going to open the gift?”

“I’ll open it when the annoying dwarf leaves me alone.”

Sunny pouted, “And here I thought Taeyeon had finally changed something in you. Oh well.”

Jessica unconsciously smiled as she reached for the gift, hearing Sunny walk away from her.

A gingerbread man plushy came into view as soon as she opened the box; she furrowed her brow before noticing a note inside the box.

Jessica, this is Ginger. Yes, he is a man. Yes, he has a girl’s name. But whatever. Anyway, I told him to accompany you whenever you need someone. I can’t really be there 24/7 so I hope our little friend would be able to do the job whenever I’m not around. Happy birthday, Sooyeon!

Always, Taeyeon

Jessica’s lips curved into a smile as she re-reads the manly hand writing on the piece of paper. It was definitely a happy birthday.

 

 

-----

Really short update. And yes, Jessica's birthday isn't until April but I just wanted to right this one. Lol. Anyway, see you in the next update :)