Chapter 10

Beneath Your Beautiful

“How are you feeling?”

Taeyeon cracked one eye open at his mother who stood beside the couch he was currently lying in. She had a pack of Salonpas in her hands and Taeyeon shook his head as he attempted to sit up on the couch, only to stop when pain struck his back. He groaned, earning chuckles from his mother.

“Stop moving,” she ordered and Taeyeon obeyed. Mrs. Kim then proceeded to put the patches on Taeyeon’s back and legs. “Was the pain worth it?” she said; voice gentle, not mocking.

A smile instantly broke from Taeyeon’s lips, remembering how care-free Jessica’s laughter sounded yesterday. It was worth it.

Mrs. Kim raised a brow at her son before shaking her head with a gentle smile. “I take that smile as a yes,” she said, patting her son’s leg who flinched at the touch. His legs and back were unbelievably sore from yesterday’s playtime with Yohyun and Krystal.

“Mom?” Taeyeon said, turning his head to look at his mother. “How would you.. uh.. how would you know if.. i-if you.. you k-know?”

Mrs. Kim laughed at her son’s weird behavior. “Know what?”

Taeyeon looked off to his side as he spoke, “How would you know if you’re.. i-in love.. with s-someone?”

Mrs. Kim smirked, a hint of amusement dancing along the corners of her eyes as she looked at her only son. “You asked the same thing twelve years ago, did you forget?” Taeyeon’s eyes widened. “When you were fourteen, you came home from school one day clutching a white handkerchief and asked me the same question.” She chuckled, reliving the memory of a flushed Taeyeon with his big backpack as he asked her the same question; eyes full of innocence and adoration.

“Taeyeon,” she said. “I think you know the answer to your question already. You’ve known it since you first laid eyes on her.”

“I do?” Taeyeon said, voice laced with confusion. “But I don’t know, Mom.”

“I can’t believe you’re twenty-six,” Mrs. Kim said. “You act like a clueless high school student half the time.”

Taeyeon grinned at his mother as he willed himself to sit up on the couch, which he successfully did. Scooting closer to his mother, Taeyeon wrapped an arm around his mother’s shoulders. “But I’m your little boy, Mom,” he said in a whining voice that had his mother laughing out loud.

“You will never get Jessica if you continue acting like this,” Mrs. Kim said.

Taeyeon shook his head. “I doubt I ever will,” he said, voice laced with sadness. “I don’t even think she likes me that way. I think she only see me as a friend.”

“How did you know?” Mrs. Kim’ voice turned serious.

Taeyeon dropped the arm he had around his mother’s shoulders. “Well,” he said, staring at the TV in front of them. “She said she’s happy she has a friend like me.”

“And that’s it?”

Taeyeon looked at his mother with questioning eyes.

“It could mean anything, Taeyeon,” she said.

Taeyeon ponders for a moment, trying to recall a moment when Jessica acted as if she liked him too, only to come up with none. Jessica was naturally sweet and she had always been clear about them being ‘friends’.

“But does she know you like her?” Mrs. Kim added, pulling Taeyeon out of his thoughts.

“I think that’s very obvious, Mom.”

“But have you told her? Did you talk to her about your feelings?”

Taeyeon shook his head. He hasn’t. But if Jessica wasn’t dense, then surely she had caught up with his gestures.

“Sometimes, Taeyeon, girls need to hear it. We don’t want to assume things.”

Taeyeon looked at his mother again. “So I should... t-tell her?”

Mrs. Kim cluck her tongue and patted Taeyeon’s knee. “Of course, Taeyeon.”

**

Jessica had a wide smile on her face as she brushed Yohyun’s hair. The little girl was humming a nursery rhyme that Jessica had especially liked when she was in kindergarten. Yohyun was a bubbly little girl and Jessica wonders if her mother or father was as bubbly as her too. Then she frowned at the thought of the little girl’s parents, remembering they were divorced. She could only imagine how hard it was for Yohyun. She wonders who look after Yohyun when her mother is working.

Her mind wandered to her own work then. She wondered how Sunny and Eli were doing. She realized she haven’t heard anything from the two since three days ago and decided to call them later. She only had one day left before she goes back to work. She was excited, but worried at the same time. She worries about Yohyun and who will look after the little girl. She couldn’t possibly bother Taeyeon about the little girl for she was her responsibility. She thought about filing another leave but she doesn’t think it will be granted.

“Mommy Jeshka?”

Jessica blinked, noticing that her hand and the hair brush had stopped on top of Yohyun’s head. She put the brush down, smiling at Yohyun as she crouched down beside the chair. “Yes, sweetie?” she said, the little girl’s now tidy hair.

“I miss Mommy Juhyun,” Yohyun said with a pout, eyes reddening as she tried stopping her tears from falling.

“Oh sweetie.” Jessica moved, pulling Yohyun in a hug as the child sobbed in her shoulder. “We will find her, okay? I promise. Daddy Taengoo and I promise.”

Yohyun nodded, rubbing her face in Jessica’s shirt. She believes in her Mommy Jeshka and she trust her Daddy Taengoo.

Jessica pulled back a little, arms still around Yohyun’s small body. “Now, do you want to go to the grocery store with Mommy Jeshka?” The little girl nodded her head once again, wiping her tears as she gave Jessica an adorable smile.

**

“Sweetie, what flavor do you want for your yogurt? Mango or strawberry?” Jessica asked as she stared at the assorted yogurts inside the store’s huge refrigerator. She had Yohyun’s hand in hers, not wanting the little girl to get lost once again. “Sweetie?” she asked again, head turning to look at Yohyun. The little girl wasn’t paying any attention, she was staring at the other side; at the chocolate rack.

“Do you want chocolates instead?” Jessica tugged on Yohyun’s hand gently, successfully earning the little girl’s attention. Yohyun looked at her with pleading eyes and Jessica knew what the little girl wanted. She smiled at Yohyun, “But let’s get Krystal her yogurt first, okay?”

“Who Krystal?” Yohyun asked innocently as Jessica pulled out five yogurts from the refrigerator.

“Krystal is Baby Big,” Jessica answered and Yohyun immediately let out a cute ‘ohhh’.

After getting the yogurts, Yohyun excitedly dragged Jessica towards the chocolate rack, earning giggles from Jessica.

“Sweetie be careful,” she said and put down the grocery basket she was holding to lift Yohyun up so she could see all the chocolates. “What do you want?”

Yohyun didn’t speak for a moment, eyes flickering from one brand to another until she settled on the white Toblerone. She pointed a finger at it and Jessica immediately took it. Yohyun smiled when she saw Jessica putting the chocolate inside the basket. She kissed Jessica’s cheek as her thank you before she was put back down on her feet again.

Jessica and Yohyun walked towards the other direction again; to the vegetable rack. When they arrived there, Jessica thought she saw a familiar person but she wasn’t sure so she chose to brush it off instead.

“Jessica?” the voice came from beside her and she looked at the person, coming face to face with Taeyeon’s friend, Tiffany. “You remember me, right? Because it would be so embarrassing if you don’t,” she said and Jessica can’t help but let out a little smile.

“Of course, Tiffany. Hello,” she said. “It’s nice seeing you here.”

Tiffany nodded. “I live around here, how about you?”

“I’m in the same village as Taeyeon,” Jessica answered and for a moment she thought of how silly it might have sounded. She could have just told Tiffany her street but she said Taeyeon’s name instead. And it was weird.

Tiffany’s lips broke into a wide smile before her eyes travelled to the little girl that was busy looking through the vegetables as if she was looking for gold. “Your... errr, sister?” she said, embarrassed that she sounded too nosy.

“Oh, no,” Jessica smiled and tapped Yohyun’s shoulder. “This is Yohyun, she got lost and I’m taking care of her for the mean time.”

Tiffany nodded, mouthing an ‘oh’.

“Sweetie, this is Tiffany.” Yohyun looked at the stranger. “She is D-Daddy T-Taengoo’s friend.” Jessica’s cheeks burned after introducing Tiffany to Yohyun and she did everything to evade Tiffany’s stares but still, she caught a glimpse of Tiffany’s mischievous grin.

“Daddy Taengoo, huh?” Tiffany said in a teasing voice.

Yohyun remained silent, staring at her Daddy Taengoo’s friend before she gave Tiffany a shy smile. “Hi,” she said in a cute voice and Tiffany squealed, making Jessica look back at her.

“Are you okay?” Jessica asked frantically, remembering what Taeyeon said about Tiffany being pregnant.

“Oh my gosh she is so cute!” Tiffany squealed and crouched down at Yohyun’s level, pinching the little girl’s cheeks. Yohyun didn’t mind and merely giggled at Tiffany’s actions.

Jessica let out a relieved sigh as she watch Tiffany smother the little girl. “Did you really have to squeal like that?” she said, voice flat as she rolled her eyes at the other woman.

Tiffany looked up at Jessica before she stood up, pouting. “Of course,” Tiffany said, crossing her arms above her chest. “She’s so cute and I can’t contain my excitement, okay.”

Jessica scoffed. “Are you going to squeal everytime you see your future child, too? You might ruin their eardrums.”

Tiffany had a dreamy look on her face before she smiled at Jessica. “Are we friends now?” she said and linked arms with Jessica. “I think I’d like to be your friend.”

Jessica looked at Tiffany as if the girl was nuts. She shook of Tiffany’s arm. “Are you even normal? We’ve only met once and we didn’t even talk and you want us to be friends?”

Tiffany looked at Jessica with furrowed brows. “What’s wrong with that?” she said. “Who said you can only be friends with people you had been with since forever?”

Jessica scoffed. A light tug on her hand had her looking down at the little girl who was still holding her hand, eyes wide as if she was accusing the two adults. “Mommy,” she whispered, casting her eyes down. “Mommy Jeshka I’m hungwy.”

Jessica opened to tell Yohyun that they still have things to buy but Tiffany beat her to it. “What do you want to eat?” the woman said, smiling widely at Yohyun.

Yohyun bit her lower lip, head tilting to look up to her Mommy Jeshka with gentle eyes. She was really hungry.

“I can take her to the food-court and you can continue shopping for your groceries,” Tiffany offered.

Jessica hesitated, her eyes flickering from Tiffany to Yohyun and back to Tiffany. “Aren’t you going to shop, too?”

Tiffany shook her head, putting her empty basket on the floor. “I can always do it later,” she said. “My husband wouldn’t mind.”

Jessica nodded at Tiffany’s statement before crouching down to face Yohyun. “Sweetie,” she said. “Is it okay if you go with Tiffany? Mommy Jeshka have to finish the list first.”

Yohyun turned her head to look at Tiffany who smiled at her before turning back to Jessica. “You follow?” The little girl’s eyes were questioning, almost pleading, and Jessica placed a peck on her left cheek as an assurance. Yohyun smiled at the gesture, getting her answer without Jessica verbalizing it. She then skipped to Tiffany’s side, grabbing the adult’s hand as soon as they stood side by side.

“You know,” Tiffany said. “You would really make a good mother.”

Jessica scoffed and waved her off, trying to hide the blush that had crept up to her cheeks. “Bye sweetie,” she said in an attempt to change the subject. “Be good, okay?” She stretched her arms and Yohyun instantly moved towards her, embracing Jessica and kissing her cheek.

Tiffany giggled as Yohyun moved back to grasp her hand. “I really mean it,” she said. “You would definitely make a good mother.”

Jessica stood up, waving Tiffany off once again as she started to walk towards the other direction.

“And Taetae would make a good father, too!”

Blood rushed back up to Jessica’s cheeks and she almost fell when her left foot accidentally caught her right foot.

**

Yuri stared at his wife and the little girl currently seated on the high chair. He arrived just three minutes ago when his wife had called him saying they should eat brunch together. They actually had breakfast already so Yuri didn’t understand why Tiffany wanted to eat brunch at first, then he realized his wife was pregnant and he immediately excused himself at the office. He arrived in the grocery store’s food-court seeing his wife happily feeding a toddler he didn’t recognize. With furrowed brows, he cleared his throat, earning his wife’s attention for the first time since he arrived. Tiffany’s eyes twinkled at him and Yuri knew her wife was having fun.

“Baby,” Tiffany said and reached across the table to squeeze Yuri’s hand. He smiled back at her before his gaze fell back the toddler, who was looking at him with curious eyes. “This is Yohyun,” his wife said. “Taeyeon and Jessica’s adopted child.”

Tiffany’s voice sounded so dreamy that Yuri had to confirm if he heard her right. “A-Adopted?” he said. Tiffany nodded at him before feeding the toddler again. “How did this happen? Why didn’t he told us?”

Tiffany rolled her eyes at her husband. Yuri could be really sensitive about Taeyeon sometimes. “Baby, Taetae doesn’t have to tell you everything that’s happening in his life.”

“I know that. But this is s-something serious. I mean,” Yuri paused, his drying lips as he rolled up the sleeves of his white shirt. Tiffany waited for him to continue. “He isn’t even with Jessica yet, and t-they already decided to adopt a child? How reckless could he be? That guy never think things through, he always--”

“Kwon Yul.” Tiffany’s voice was stern and Yuri paused, eyes blinking as he stared at Tiffany. “Why do you always jump into conclusions?”

Yuri furrowed his brows more, mouthing a ‘what’ to her wife. Tiffany sighed. “It’s not like that,” she started. “Jessica and Taeyeon found her when she got lost and Jessica is taking her in for the mean time. They’re still searching for Yohyun’s parents.”

Yuri’s mouth formed into an ‘o’ as he nodded his head. “I-I thought..”

Tiffany giggled, reaching for Yuri’s hand once again. “Baby, why would you be worried if Taeyeon and Jessica did adopt a child anyway? It’s not like they’re teenagers. Taeyeon has a decent job. He should be able to feed them.”

Yuri groaned. “You don’t understand, Fany-ah. Taeyeon... he’s still... too young to go through the married life. He isn’t prepared yet.”

“You do realize that he’s older than us by months, right?” Tiffany chuckled, patting Yuri’s hand before she turned to attend to Yohyun. “And besides, if he wants to have a family with Jessica, he will.”

“Wait, why are we talking about them having a family when that dork haven’t even confessed to Jessica yet?”

Tiffany laughed once again. “You know, they remind me of us in high school.”

“Us?”

“Yes, do you remember how I would avoid the topic of committing with you whenever you try to ask me to be your girlfriend?”

“Of course, Stephanie.” Yuri’s voice was mocking, but soft, and Tiffany had always like that about her husband. “You really gave me a hard time pursuing you.”

Tiffany laughed once more, earning Yohyun’s attention as she silently watch the two adults. She didn’t feel exactly as comfortable as she felt towards her Mommy Jeshka and Daddy Taengoo but the two adults looked rather nice so she didn’t complain.

“And wasn’t I worth the chase?”

Yuri rose from his seat and transferred to the empty seat beside his wife. He draped an arm around Tiffany’s shoulder, pulling the woman towards him before placing a chaste kiss on her temple. “You were worth it,” he whispered to Tiffany’s ear. “And so much more.”

A blush instantly settled on Tiffany’s cheeks and she slapped Yuri’s lap, earning chuckles from her husband. “Yohyun,” Tiffany said. Both Yohyun and Yuri looked at each other before their gaze landed on Tiffany. “This is Yuri ahjussi,” she added. “He is your Daddy Taengoo’s friend, too. He is my husband.”

Yohyun tilted her head, gaze locking with Yuri’s once again. “What hasban?” the little girl asked innocently.

Tiffany bit her lower lip, trying to simplify her explanation. “It’s husband,” she said. “It’s what you call when a girl marries a boy and they live together.”

The little girl’s brows furrowed more and a pout had formed in her lips. Yuri had to stop himself from pinching the puffed cheeks.

“Like... like... Mommy Jeshka? And Daddy Taengoo? Hasban?”

“What is Taeyeon teaching this kid?” Yuri whispered.

Tiffany giggled. “Yes, like Daddy Taengoo. He is Mommy Jeshka’s husband.”

Yohyun’s eyes lit up as she mouths an ‘oh’. “Whew baby?” she asked rather enthusiastically.

“Baby?” Yuri asked.

“Mommy Jeshka and Daddy Taengo has Baby Big! Whew you baby?”

Tiffany smiled sweetly at Yohyun before grabbing the child’s little hand and positioning it above her growing tummy. “This is our baby.”

Yohyun looked at the couple like they were two weirdos before lifting Tiffany’s shirt and looking under her shirt. Yuri laughed while Tiffany froze as she tried to stop her shirt from going up.

“No baby,” Yohyun announced, tugging the hem of Tiffany’s shirt back down. “No baby.” She shook her head as she repeated her previous statement.

“Our baby isn’t born yet.” Yuri had a smile on his face as his hand moved to caress Tiffany’s tummy.

A look of confusion crossed Yohyun’s face and Tiffany can’t help but kiss the crinkles on her little forehead. “Baby, isn’t she so adorable?” she said, patting Yuri’s lap. Yuri hummed his answer.

“I wonder who her parents are. They must be so worried about her right now.”

Tiffany nodded, a pout forming on her lips as she think about Yohyun’s real parents. Surely they had been anxious about their daughter. She couldn’t imagine herself being in the same situation.

“Do you know who her parents are?” Yuri asked. “Maybe we can help her.”

“Jessica haven’t mentioned them and I haven’t asked either. We should ask her later.”

“Tipany,” Yohyun said, making the couple look at her with incredulous stares.

“Did she just called you Tiffany?” Yuri muttered. Tiffany nodded. “But it’s better than Tiffany ahjumma, right?” Yuri chuckled again and Tiffany pinched his lap, making him stop.

“What is it, Yohyun?”

“Mommy Jeshka, she follow?”

Tiffany then remembered Jessica was supposed to follow them but it had been over thirty minutes and the woman has yet to show up. Just then, a stressed-looking Jessica came inside the food-court and Tiffany waved her hand at the woman who speed-walked towards their table.

“I’m so sorry, Tiffany, the line in the cashier was really long.” Jessica sat opposite of Tiffany, her eyes flicking towards Yuri for a brief moment before they settled on Yohyun. “Hello, sweetie, did you eat well?”

Yoohyun smiled widely at Jessica, arms stretched towards the newly arrived woman who giggled at the gesture. Tiffany unbuckled Yohyun from the high chair and was about to lift the little girl up but was immediately stopped by Jessica. “You shouldn’t be lifting heavy things... or kids in this case. You’re pregnant Tiffany.” She stood up and took Yohyun from the high chair instead.

Tiffany scoffed playfully and Yuri sat in silence, observing Jessica Jung. He couldn’t believe how the Jessica Jung from high school had changed. She wore less accessories now, opting for just a thin, black wrist watch and a ring on her ring finger. It was not the same Jessica Jung who would never take time to look at people she didn’t know, much less talk to them. But they were adults now and Yuri totally understand the change. And this Jessica was better. Way better.

“What are you, my doctor?” Tiffany’s statement was playful and Jessica just scrunched up her face at the other woman.

“No,” Jessica said. “But if I were a doctor, I don’t think I want to be your doctor.”

Tiffany merely rolled her eyes at Jessica as she turned to her husband. “Baby, she’s bullying me, do something.”

Yuri turned to look at Tiffany, then back to Jessica. Not knowing what to say, he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. “Baby, I-I think she’s j-just play-playing.”

Tiffany narrowed her eyes at Yuri. “Are you taking her side, Kwon Yuri?”

“Wha-Baby, no! Of course not!”

Jessica smiled, shook her head and twirled Yohyun in her lap so that they were facing each other. “Did you like the food?” Yohyun nodded her head. “Good, do you want to eat ice cream?” Yohyun nodded her head again before placing a kiss in Jessica’s cheek.

“Are you sure she isn’t your child?” Yuri interrupted, making Jessica look up at him. That’s when she noticed that Tiffany and her husband were looking at her and Yohyun.

She shook her head with a smile. “I wish she was,” she said. “But no, she isn’t my child.”

Yuri nodded his head, hand grabbing Tiffany’s under the table and soon their finger intertwined. “I’m Yuri, by the way,” he said. “I’m Taeyeon’s best friend.”

Jessica nodded in acknowledgement. “Jessica--”

“Jessica Jung, yes, I know you.” Yuri smiled sheepishly. “We wen to the same high school.”

Jessica blushed, embarrassed that she doesn’t remember the guy. “I’m sorry,” she said with a kind smile. “You know how I was in high school.”

Yuri shook his head. “You don’t have to apologize, it’s alright.”

Silence fell upon them for a few moment before Jessica spoke, “So, Tiffany went to the same high school with us, too?”

Tiffany shook her head. “No,” she said with a smile. “I was in another school but I’ve known Yuri since middle school.”

“I see,” Jessica said. She looked down at Yohyun, only to realize that the little girl had already fallen asleep in her chest, hands clutching her shirt. “She must have been tired,” she said, caressing the little girl’s hair.

“Do you know who her parents are?” Yuri asked and Jessica looked back up at him before shaking her head no.

“I just know that her mother’s name is Juhyun and her father’s name is Yonghwa. They were divorced and lived in separate houses.”

“She told you that?” Tiffany asked in a whisper, as if she was going to wake Yohyun if her voice was any louder.

“Yes, and she had step sibling... or siblings. But she doesn’t know her family name and address.”

Yuri leaned in just like what his wife did, right elbow propped on the table. “I know a Juhyun but I’m not sure if it’s the same Juhyun. Plus, she’s not divorced with her husband.”

“Really? Do you know where we can see her? I mean, what are the odds, right?”

“She’s currently in Japan, though. She flew for a business trip.”

Jessica nodded before silence engulfed them once again. Her thoughts going out to the Juhyun that Yuri knows. What if it was the same Mommy Juhyun they were looking for? Of course she’ll return Yohyun to the woman in a heartbeat, but she wonders; will she ever bear letting go another person in her life? Now that she had grown attached to the child?

She was so pre-occupied with her thoughts that she didn’t notice her phone ringing until Tiffany tapped her arm.

Looking at the caller ID, a smile automatically broke out of her lips.

“Hello, Taengoo?”

Yuri and Tiffany turned to look at each other with amusement written on their faces. Who would have thought that the long forgotten nickname would resurface? And who would have thought that Taeyeon would let anyone call him that again? Then again, this was Jessica Jung they’re talking about, the girl who captured their friend’s heart for as long as they could remember.

“Now?” Jessica’s smile dropped and Tiffany’s brows furrowed. “I-I’ll be there.”

“Something wrong?” Yuri asked when he saw Jessica biting her lower lip after ending the call.

Jessica looked at the couple across from her. “H-Her mother... s-she’s on her way to our house.”

Tiffany’s grip on Yuri’s hand tightened and she tried to reach out for Jessica, only to decide against it at the last minute. “Jessica, do you want us to take you home?” she said instead.

Jessica nodded weakly at the couple before they all stood up.

**

Jessica sat anxiously in her living room with Taeyeon, Yuri, Tiffany and a sleeping Yohyun. They were waiting for Yohyun’s mother, who will be coming with officer Hyoyeon. Taeyeon looked distressed when they arrived in Jessica’s house, but the guy didn’t talk. He looked like he was in pain too, but Jessica never get the chance to ask him about it because her mind was preoccupied with the thoughts of Yohyun leaving.

A hand squeezed Jessica’s and she looked up, only to be met by Taeyeon’s concerned gaze. “Sica,” he said. “Are you okay?”

She let out a small smile and nodded her head. “How about you, are you okay?”

Taeyeon nodded and that’s when Jessica noticed the white patch on the back of his neck.

“Taengoo, what happened to your neck?”

Taeyeon let out a sheepish smile. “I-It’s nothing,” he tried to laugh but had to stop when his back hit the backrest of the couch.

Jessica was about to question again but the knock on her front door got closing. She looked at Taeyeon with uncertain eyes and he squeezed her hand once again, rising up to open the door.

“Hyo,” she heard Taeyeon say and the name had Jessica’s grip on the little girl tightening.

“Jessica,” Tiffany called out softly. Jessica turned to look at the other woman. “It’s okay. You’re going to be okay.” She scooted closer to Jessica and draped an arm around the woman’s form. Jessica smiled and nodded at Tiffany, thankful for the kind gesture.

“Sica, they’re here.” Taeyeon walked back into the living room with two woman tailing after him; a policewoman, who she recognized as Hyoyeon, and a woman in a brown trench coat. The woman in the coat had bloodshot eyes and she was clutching a photograph in her hands. She looked like she haven’t slept for days and close to fainting. But she was still beautiful and her resemblance with Yohyun were very clear.

“J-Juhyun?” Jessica said, rising up from the couch with Yohyun in her arms.

The woman nodded, tears welling up in her eyes again. “C-Can I see her?”

Jessica moved closer to the woman, a gentle smile adorning her face as she hands Yohyun to her mother.

“Oh my God.” Juhyun broke into sobs. “I was so worried, I thought the bad guys got her. I-I was so, so, worried.” She pressed her daughter’s body closer to her, making the little girl stir in her sleep. “I don’t know how to thank you,” she said. “But I am really, really grateful that she was in good hands.”

Jessica moved to Juhyun’s side, a hand moving to rub the crying woman’s back. “Shh,” she shush. “It’s okay, you’re here now. You’ll be together now.”

Juhyun nodded, wiping her tears with her right hand as her left held Yohyun. “I left her with her father because I was going to be away for a week,” she sniffled, eyes traveling to the couple that had stood up from the couch. Her eyes widened at the recognition. Small world, indeed. “Yonghwa didn’t tell me until the second day Yohyun went missing and I went home immediately.”

Jessica smiled at the younger woman. “I’m glad you finally found her,” she said. “She missed you so much.”

Words cannot express how happy Juhyun was. She repeatedly thanked Jessica and Taeyeon for taking care of her daughter. Yohyun woke up after a while and was crying when she woke up in the arms of her mother. The reunion had been so heartwarming that Tiffany teared up a little.

When it was time for Juhyun and Yohyun to go home, the little girl gave both of her adopted parents a tight hug, squeezing Jessica and Taeyeon by the neck as she bid them goodbye. She wasn’t able to say goodbye to Krystal, who was still in school.

“Are you guys okay?” Yuri asked as the four of them watched the police car Hyoyeon was driving from Jessica’s porch.

Taeyeon nodded at his best friend, turning to face the man.

“I miss her already,” Jessica let out in a low voice, which Taeyeon immediately caught. He looked at Jessica with concern before moving closer to the woman.

“Sica?” he said, earning Jessica’s attention. The head nurse looked at him with eyes that were glistening with unshed tears. “Wanna go out?”

Jessica stared at Taeyeon for a little while before she turned to look at Yuri and Tiffany who were observing them.

“Well,” Yuri said, head turning to look at his wife. “I took a day off, might as well do something fun.”

Tiffany smiled broadly at her husband before linking their arms, making Jessica cringe. The girl was so clingy. She had been like that since they were in the food-court. But Yuri doesn’t seem to mind and Jessica totally understand the guy. With the toothy grin on Yuri’s face, Jessica knew the guy was just as head over heels for his wife as she was for him.

“So?” Taeyeon spoke again, looking at Jessica expectantly.

Jessica nodded, casting one, last, lingering look at the now empty street. She already missed Yohyun.

**

A few minutes later, Jessica found herself sitting at the backseat of Yuri and Tiffany’s car. Taeyeon sat silently beside her, head turned towards the window, aimlessly staring at the passing scenery. Jessica hesitated for a moment before tapping Taeyeon by the shoulder.

Taeyeon yawned before turning to look at Jessica with a small smile. The same small smile broke out of Jessica’s lips. “What happened to your neck?” she said in a low voice.

Taeyeon’s smile grew into a sheepish one as he scratched his head. “It’s nothing serious,” he said. “Don’t worry about it.”

Jessica had a skeptical look on her face but nodded nonetheless. “Aren’t you supposed to be resting at home since you’re obviously not well?”

Taeyeon just smiled at Jessica, grateful for the head nurse’s concern. “Are you going to be okay?” Taeyeon asked. “I mean, about Yohyun.”

Jessica nodded once again. “I think we all know this was going to happen sooner or later.” She smiled. “Besides, it’s not like I’ve been with her that long. We were merely strangers to her and she to us.”

Taeyeon scooted closer to Jessica, patting her knee twice. “You know we weren’t just strangers for her, Sica.” He smiled. “We were her p-parents for the past few days, remember?”

A blush tainted Jessica’s smooth cheeks and she tried desperately to hide it from Taeyeon, only to catch Yuri smirking at the rearview mirror; probably noticing the pinkish glow in her cheeks. Jessica’s face burned even more.

“R-Right,” she said. “She was part.. of our.. f-family.”

“You’ll be fine, Sica. We’ll be fine.”

Comfortable silence settled inside the car before Tiffany decided to speak. “You know,” she said. “If I didn’t know any better, I would have thought you two were a married couple who just sent their eldest child to college.”

Taeyeon choked on his saliva, coughing uncontrollably. Jessica’s hand came up to Taeyeon’s back in reflex, gently patting it. “Are you okay?” she said in a worried tone, face burning up at Tiffany’s words.

Taeyeon nodded his head as his coughing fit subsided.

“You guys are cute,” Yuri said from the driver’s seat, face adorned by a mischievous grin as his free hand moved to hold Tiffany’s.

**

“The amusement park, really?” Jessica looked at her companions as they stood outside the entrance gate of the park. “You guys are weird.”

Tiffany laughed, linking her arms with Jessica as she pulls the other woman inside the gate. “On the contrary, I think you’re weird.” She smiled cheekily at Jessica. “It’s normal to have ‘fun’ in an amusement park, you know.”

“Yeah, I get that. But.. aren’t we too old for this?”

“What?” Tiffany gasped mockingly. “Jessica, nobody is too old for amusement parks!”

“But..” Jessica looked over her shoulder; to Taeyeon. She sighed. “I really don’t think this is a good idea,” she said, thinking about Taeyeon’s patches. She was sure the guy was suffering from sore muscles, judging from his patches.

Tiffany followed Jessica’s line of sight and a wide smile immediately broke out of her lips. “Come on, Jessica. This is going to be fun.” She pulled Jessica further into the park.

Taeyeon scoffed. “Look at your wife, didn’t she say she doesn’t like Sica? And now she’s suddenly acting like they’re the best of friends.” Taeyeon and Yuri watched the excited Tiffany as she drag Jessica into a booth.

Yuri laughed, patting Taeyeon’s shoulder. The shorter guy flinched at the contact. Noticing this, Yuri raised a questioning brow at his best friend. “What’s wrong with your shoulder?”

“I just have sore muscles, but I’m fine.”

“Sore muscles?”

“It’s a long story.”

Yuri was about to ask Taeyeon again when a hand tugged his. He turned to see Tiffany smiling widely at him. He smiled back, intertwining their fingers.

“Baby, doesn’t this remind you of all the double dates we had back in high school?”

Yuri laughed before wrapping his arm around Tiffany, not letting go of Tiffany’s hand as he did so.

“Right, Taetae?” Tiffany said in a teasing tone. Taeyeon just rolled his eyes at the couple.

“Remember when--” Yuri started but was immediately cut off by Taeyeon.

“Sica, let’s go check the booths.” Taeyeon smiled, pointing at a booth nearby. Jessica nodded and started walking towards it.

“You’re not going to embarrass me in front of Jessica, Kwon Yuri.” Taeyeon narrowed his eyes at his best friend before following Jessica.

“But it was so funny,” Yuri’s lips formed into a pout and his wife giggled, hugging his body. “Baby, it was so funny, right? I’m sure Jessica would laugh if she heard what I was about to say.”

Tiffany hugged her husband tighter. “Maybe next time, baby.” She smiled before kissing his chin. “Now, why don’t we enjoy the rest of the day, too?” She untangled herself from Yuri before pulling her husband towards the direction that Jessica and Taeyeon walked to.

**

“Sorry about Tiffany,” Taeyeon said as he stood behind Jessica who was going through the handmade bracelets laid on a table. “I mean, if you’re feeling uncomfortable.. I’m sorry about that.”

Jessica turned around to look at Taeyepn, a kind smile adorning her beautiful face and Taeyeon could have sworn he saw the heaven opening.

“It’s okay, Taengoo.” Jessica’s smile widened. “I don’t mind. Plus, she’s sweet and funny.. sometimes.”

Taeyeon didn’t answer, choosing to just nod his head at Jessica. His eyebrow raised, however, when Jessica raised her right hand, dangling two bracelets. “Which one looks nice?”

Taeyeon looked at the two knotted bracelets; the one was a thick, blue knotted bracelet while the other was a light blue and royal blue braided bracelet. Taeyeon had a thoughtful look on his face as he decided on his answer.

“Never mind,” Jessica said in a chirpy tone before she turned back to the owner of the booth. “I’ll take both of it.”

After a minute, Jessica turned to face Taeyeon once again, arm reached out towards the guy who looked at her with a quizzical look on his face. “Wrist, Taeyeon,” she said, shaking her hand gently.

Taeyeon sheepishly obeyed; extending his left hand to Jessica, who immediately locked the bracelets around Taeyeon’s wrist.

“There,” Jessica said. “They look good on you.”

“What are these for?”

A shy smile broke out of Jessica’s lips. “I just want to say thank you.” She hung her head low, her right foot gently kicking the small pebbles on the ground. “For everything that you’ve done while Yohyun was with us. Instead of resting at home, you were always there, spending time with us.”

A hand went to Jessica’s chin, tilting her head. She locked gazes with Taeyeon whose eyes looked like they were sparkling under the sun.

“Sica, I thought we already agreed on not saying thank you anymore?” Taeyeon playfully narrowed his eyes at Jessica before he grinned. “I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again; I really like spending time with you and Yohyun and Krystal. So whatever I did, I did because it made me happy too.”

Silence settled between Taeyeon and Jessica as they stood face to face; his hand still in her chin.

“There you are.” Tiffany’s voice startled the duo, making Jessica jump a little. Taeyeon smiled sheepishly at Tiffany when he noticed the woman staring at his hand that was still on Jessica’s chin. He gingerly let go of her.

“Now, who wants to ride the space shuttle?” Yuri said with a wide grin.

**

After trying out three rides, the group lounged in a bench near the booth where Jessica brought the bracelets for Taeyeon. Tiffany and Yuri were talking about how they missed the amusement park while Jessica sat silently beside Taeyeon, trying to calm her racing heart down from all the rush she felt while trying the rides. It had been too long since she had fun. She actually miss being a teenager.

A growling of the stomach had Yuri, Tiffany and Taeyeon turning to look at Jessica, whose cheeks instantly blushed at the attention she gained. “Oops,” she said and chuckled awkwardly.

Taeyeon chuckled. “Should we find a place to eat now?”

“Food!” Yuri said in a loud voice as he stood up, pulling Tiffany with him. “Baby, I’m so hungry.”

Tiffany shook her head at her husband. “You’re always hungry, Yul.” She linked their arms. “You’re acting like a pregnant woman when I’m the one who’s supposed to be eating a lot here.”

Jessica giggled at the couple in front of her before a hand appeared in her line of sight. It was Taeyeon. “Let’s go, Sica.” Jessica nodded and took Taeyeon’s hand as she let the guy pull her up from the bench.

The group started walking out of the park and into Yuri’s car.

Half an hour later, they were already seated inside a cozy restaurant not far from the amusement park.

“Ah, I missed this place,” Tiffany said as she looked around the restaurant. “Wow, nothing changed here.”

Yuri and Taeyeon nodded in agreement.

“We used to eat here when we were still in college,” Taeyeon said, turning his head to look at Jessica who nodded at his statement. “This was our favorite restaurant.”

“And their food here is really good, Jessica,” Yuri said, earning Jessica and Taeyeon’s attention. Jessica nodded once again.

“Oh, look, our food is here.” Tiffany pointed at the incoming waiter.

Soon, their food were laid on the table. Yuri grinned at his plate, only to pout when his wife took half of his food.

“Baby, I’m hungry and I should eat more because I’m bearing your child, remember?” she purred, smiling sweetly at her husband before kissing his cheek. “Thanks, baby, you’re the best.”

“I didn’t even say she can eat my food,” Yuri mumbled, poking what was left of his Bulgogi.

“Baby, say ah~” Tiffany cooed, making Yuri turn back at her as she held her spoon to his mouth. “Baby, ah~” Yuri smiled, then obliged, earning another kiss on the cheek from his wife. “Good boy,” Tiffany said, patting Yuri’s head.

“Are you still in your honeymoon stage?” Jessica asked curiously. Yuri and Tiffany looked at her with confused eyes. “I mean, do you always act like this in public?”

Yuri nodded his head, making Jessica cringe. She was never a fan of PDA.

“Don’t worry Sica, you’ll get used to them.” Taeyeon’s voice was nonchalant, and Jessica knew he wasn’t happy with the excessive PDA either.

Tiffany rolled her eyes at her best friend’s husband before looking at his plate of Gimbop. “Why are you taking all the cucumbers out?” she said, pointing at the green vegetable Taeyeon had transferred to another plate. formed the shape of an ‘o’ when he saw Taeyeon pushing the plate of Gimbop towards Jessica who smiled in gratitude, seemingly lost in their own world.

“What?” Taeyeon raised a brow at his friends, obviously oblivious of the previous question. “Did you say anything?”

“Did we say anything?” Yuri looked at Tiffany, feigning innocence before shaking his head no at Taeyeon. “Let’s just enjoy the food.”

Taeyeon nodded, taking his chopstick from the table. Jessica followed Taeyeon and started eating, earning weird looks from Yuri and Tiffany.

“You’re so weird,” Tiffany commented. “Really, really, weird.” Then she laughed, pointing at Jessica’s hand and how she holds her chopstick. Jessica merely rolled her eyes at the other woman, too hungry to bite back.

“Taeyeon, you should try this!” Jessica put a slice of the sweet and sour pork in Taeyeon’s plate. “It’s really good.” Taeyeon nodded before picking the pork with his chopstick. Jessica stared at him while he chew, anticipating for his reaction. “How was it?” she asked, unable to hide her curiosity.

Taeyeon gave Jessica a thumb up before picking another slice of pork from her plate. “It’s really good. I should have gotten this one instead of the soup.”

Jessica pushed the plate closer towards Taeyeon. “You can have it,” she said. “I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it anyway.”

Taeyeon frowned. “No, no, it’s okay. I’ll just order another plate.”

“But Taeyeon, it will be a waste of food if you order another plate.”

“But I can’t possibly take your food.”

“But I’m giving it to you. And you shouldn’t reject food because it’s disrespectful.”

Two pair of eyes looked at Taeyeon and Jessica in amusement. It was as if they did not exist in the duo’s world for a moment.

“Let’s just share, Sica.” Taeyeon pushed the plate in between him and Jessica, finally deciding it was better that way.

“Wow, took them too long to decide.” Yuri shook his head before he was, once again, fed by his wife.

**

“I’m sorry, Taetae, we totally forgot about the doctor’s appointment until she called Yuri.” Tiffany’s lower lip was pushed into a pout as she and Yuri stood in front of Jessica’s house. “I wish we could spend more time with the two of you.”

“It’s okay, Fany,” Taeyeon said. “We can still see each other next time. And, your appointment is much more important than amusement rides.” He turned to Yuri. “You guys take care, okay?”

Yuri nodded, shaking Taeyeon’s hand. “Bye Taeng.” He then turned to Jessica, extending his hand for a hand shake which she took almost immediately. “Bye Jessica, it was nice seeing you again.”

Jessica let out a shy smile, still embarrassed at the fact that she doesn’t remember Yuri from high school. “Goodbye Yuri, it was nice meeting you.” She let go of his hand and turned to his wife. “Bye Tiffany, I had so much fun today.”

Tiffany grinned before pulling Jessica in a hug. “Oh Jessica, I had so much fun, too. Let’s do this more often, okay?” Jessica nodded, half struggling to keep her balance and half struggling to breathe in the tight hug.

“Fany, you’re crushing Jessica.” Taeyeon pried Tiffany’s hands off of Jessica’s body.

“You’re over reacting, Taetae.” Tiffany stuck her tongue out at Taeyeon before linking her arms with Yuri. Jessica inwardly snickered, thinking that Yuri’s arms might have magnets and Tiffany’s had metals since their arms doesn’t seem to separate.

“Anyway, we have to go now. My OB is going to kill me for being late.” Tiffany waved at Taeyeon and Jessica before pulling Yuri back to their car.

Taeyeon and Jessica watched the couple as they got inside their car with Yuri opening the door for Tiffany like they were still on their first date. Jessica thought it was cute; that even though Yuri and Tiffany had been together for years, Yuri still treats Tiffany as if he was still courting her. And she wonders if she’ll ever experience something like that too.

“Sica?”

Jessica’s thoughts were interrupted by Taeyeon’s voice and she turned to him with a quizzical look on her face. “Yes, Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon scratched his head and Jessica knew he was nervous. She didn’t know why, but she knew he was. “Is there something wrong?” she said as they stood rooted in their previous spot in the curb.

“No, n-nothing’s wrong.” Taeyeon took in a deep breathe. “I-I was just thinking.. t-tomorrow’s the last day of your week off..” He let out an uneasy smile, his eyes not focusing on Jessica but he was facing her. “I was wondering i-if you’d like to come with me..”

Jessica couldn’t stop herself from giggling at the flushed Taeyeon; ears as red as tomatoes as he shifted his weight from one foot to another. She cleared before asking, “Where?”

“T-The Han River.” Taeyeon scratched his head once more. “I’d like to take you there.. t-tomorrow.. aftern-noon.”

“Taeyeon?” Jessica said and Taeyeon instantly looked her in the eyes; fear evident in his dark orbs. “Are you asking me for a date?”

It took Taeyeon a full minute before bashfully nodding at Jessica. Taking another deep breathe, Taeyeon took Jessica’s hand in his. “Sica,” he said, eyes soft as he continued to stare at Jessica. “Will you go on a date with me? Tomorrow?”

Jessica’s face didn’t show any emotion and Taeyeon feared for the worst. He could feel his palms sweating but he didn’t let go of Jessica’s hand just yet. He waited, and waited, until a small smile broke free from Jessica’s lips. She nodded twice, making Taeyeon’s heart skip two beats, too.

“Yes, Taeyeon.” Jessica may not be sure where this will lead them but she was sure of one thing; that she wanted to give Taeyeon a chance. That she wanted to give herself a chance of finding that one special person. And maybe, just maybe, Taeyeon was that one special person.

Taeyeon wanted to jump in joy at that exact moment, but knew better than to embarrass himself further. So he just let out his special smile; chin dimple showing, eyes narrowing into a straight line. He then brought Jessica’s hand to his lips, gently kissing the back of it before letting it go. “Thank you, Sica,” he said. “I’ll make sure you’ll have a great time tomorrow.”

Jessica just nodded, trusting Taeyeon’s words. She never doubted Taeyeon. When he promise she’ll enjoy, then she knows she’ll enjoy. Spending time with Taeyeon had been nothing but great so far.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then,” Jessica said before waving Taeyeon goodbye.