Chapter 5

Beneath Your Beautiful

Jessica was about to pass by the lobby of the emergency room when a familiar figure caught her sight. She strained her eyes, watching as the familiar figure pace back and forth in front of the door where patients where being checked. Her brows knitted together as she went closer to the figure, recognizing it as her younger sister. Worry then settled in as she saw the crease that formed in Krystal's forehead, eyes watery and remnants of tears occupied the smooth cheeks.

 
Reaching her sister's side, she put a hand over Krystal's shoulder, making the younger girl turn towards her before a tear roll down Krystal's cheeks as she hugged Jessica's waist. Jessica stayed on her spot, letting Krystal recover from whatever she was going through, the black tresses ever so gently.
 
"Soojung, what's wrong?"
 
Krystal's sobs became louder and Jessica wonders who might have been inside the emergency room. Her thoughts travelled to Hayeon and she instantly but gently pushed Krystal away from her.
 
"Soojung, is Hayeon in there? Is she alright?"
 
Krystal shook her head, "N-no.." She sniffed before wiping her cheeks, "I-it's Coach Kim. I-- he was-- I didn't--"
 
Jessica's breath hitched, "T-Taeyeon is inside?"
 
Krystal nods her head, eyes not meeting Jessica's and in that instance her elder sister knew Krystal had something to do with whatever happened to Taeyeon.
 
"Jung Soojung! What did you do this time?" her eyes flicked towards the closed door.
 
"I-- it was him-- I didn't-- unnie."
 
Jessica shook her head, she wasn't getting any clear answer from Krystal. Although the way Krystal won't meet her gaze tells Jessica that her sister had something to do with it.
 
"Soojung, speak clearly and honestly. Right now."
 
Krystal drew in a long and deep breath before meeting Jessica's eyes.
 
"I-Coach Kim and I had a little argument--no, I yelled at him and told him to get away from you.. then there was a car and I-- He--"
 
Jessica shook her head, "I am so disappointed with you, Soojung. What did Taeyeon ever do for you to act so rash?"
 
"U-unnie, i-it's not like that-- I--"
 
"Nurse Jung?" The door to the Emergency room opened and out came a middle-aged doctor, "Good that you're here, I need you to prepare a room for the patient inside, please."
 
Jessica nodded at the doctor. "Dr. Seo, h-how bad is he?"
 
"Nothing that a week of rest couldn't heal but we still have to observe his right leg since it had a big cut on it."
 
"I-- can I.. ask what happened to him?"
 
The middle-aged doctor looked at her questioningly, "Do you know the patient?"
 
Jessica nodded eagerly, "He's my.. uh.. f-friend."
 
"Oh," Dr. Seo nodded his head, "He was hit by a car just outside the school he was teaching at. But it wasn't that serious since the car was running in a slow pace."
 
Jessica breathed out a sigh of relief, totally forgetting about Krystal. "I-I should go and prepare his room now.. e-excuse me, Dr. Seo."
 
Dr. Seo nodded his head before looking at Krystal, "Aren't you going with your sister?"
 
Krystal shook her head, teeth tightly biting her lower lip as she stopped her tears from falling. She bowed at the kind doctor before walking dejectedly out of the hospital. She was just glad Coach Kim was fine, or else she would never be able to forgive herself.
 
**
 
"Okay, come on guys, you can do better than that!" Taeyeon yelled at his students who were gathered on the soccer field of the school where he had instructed them to run five rounds.
 
"Okay, enough rest and let's get this over with! I still have a date to prepare!"
 
The students laughed at their Coach and eventually got up on their feet as they started running again. All but one.
 
"Hey, are you okay?" Taeyeon asked, looking at Krystal with concern.
 
Krystal scoffed and looked off to her side, avoiding any eye contact from Taeyeon.
 
"Krystal, what's wrong?"
 
He was about to put the back of his hand in Krystal's forehead to check if she was having a fever when the girl's hand swatted his hand away.
 
Krystal glared at him while speaking through gritted teeth, "When will you drop the mask and show us who you really are?"
 
Taeyeon was taken aback at the attitude Krystal was showing and he looked at her questioningly, puzzled as to why Krystal would say that.
 
"I-- don't understand, Krystal. What are you trying to say?"
 
Krystal stood up, stomped her feet on the ground before pounding on his chest. "You're just like him, aren't you? You try to act like you care about me, that it's okay that unnie has me to look after, but in the end you will just persuade her to get rid of me and send me to our parents!"
 
Taeyeon shook his head in an attempt to pacify Krystal who was now in the verge of tearing up. He promised Jessica he'll look after Krystal and he feels so ashamed that he's actually the reason why Krystal was having a hard time.
 
"Krystal, no. I would never do that. I can never do that to you."
 
Krystal shook her head stubbornly, pushing Taeyeon away. "You're just like him! You'll get tired of her because she has me to look after and you'll just leave her.. and me, guilty that I'm the reason why she never tries relationships again!" She then started to speed walk towards the gate of their school, and before she knew it, she was already running with Taeyeon tailing right behind her.
 
"Krystal, wait!"
 
Taeyeon kept screaming but Krystal just kept pumping her legs, nearing the exit and eventually passing by the gate. Taeyeon was fast at following the girl, stopping to whip his head to where Krystal had gone to. A few meters away from the gate, he saw Krystal about to cross the street. He looked from side to side and his eyes caught the sight of a car who was heading straight into Krystal's direction. Krystal, on the other hand, had her head hung low as she walked lifelessly on the street, not minding her surroundings. Taeyeon moved on impulse, running towards Krystal in hopes to save the girl. He grabbed Krystal's hand and yanked her back to the sidewalk, only to hear tires screeching on the pavement before everything turned pitch black; Krystal's voice calling out for him in a faint sound.
 
**
 
Jessica pulled the white blanket over Taeyeon's chest before sitting on the chair beside his bed. It had been an hour since Taeyeon was transferred to a private room and as far as Jessica knows, he wasn't in any serious injuries, just cuts and a little fracture on his feet but nothing a week's rest couldn't heal, as Dr. Seo said. Her fingers unconsciously ghosted over Taeyeon's sleeping face, taking in the adorable sight before her. Taeyeon's lower lip was slightly popped out as if he was pouting. She fixed the dark locks that fell in Taeyeon's forehead, brushing them upwards.
 
Her thoughts momentarily drifted to Soojung and how rash she acted towards her little sister earlier. She felt guilty that she acted on impulse and scolded Soojung without really hearing what she has to say. For all she knows, Taeyeon must have just pulled off a Superman stunt and Soojung didn't really mean to hurt Taeyeon. She took a mental note to apologize and talk to her sister later when she gets home.
 
She was pulled back from her musings when the door creaked open. She whipped her head towards it and was instantly greeted by the sight of a crying Hayeon and an elderly couple who she assumes to be Taeyeon's parents.
 
"Unnie? How is Oppa doing?"
 
Jessica rose up from her seat, bowing at the individuals that just arrived. "H-he's fine now. He just needs to rest for a week. I-it wasn't serious, the doctor said so."
 
Hayeon nods her head, moving to sit on the edge of Taeyeon's bed. Jessica's eyes followed the younger girl's movement before her attention was once again brought back to the couple who looked rather calm.
 
"We told her Taeyeon was okay, but she wouldn't listen and keeps on worrying." The elderly woman who Jessica assumes as Taeyeon's mother, spoke in a calm voice. Jessica finds it surprising how she could be so calm seeing her son lie on a hospital bed.
 
"You must be Jessica?" The elderly man asked with a small smile, making Jessica look at him with questioning eyes. "Oh, don't be surprised. Taeyeon has this very bad habit of sleep-talking and he wakes us up almost every night, calling out your name."
 
Jessica blushed and looked off to the side, too flustered to speak.
 
"I take that as a yes, then." Taeyeon's father extended a hand towards Jessica, "I'm Taeyeon's father, and this is my lovely wife."
 
Jessica timidly shook his hand before shaking his wife's hand.
 
"You're one attractive young lady, now I understand why Taeyeon smiles in his sleep." Taeyeon's mother said sheepishly and giggled, hooking an arm with Taeyeon's father.
 
"Y-you watch him sleep?" was all Jessica could say.
 
"We end up watching him sleep since he's really loud when he sleep-talks and you know how old people are very sensitive when it comes to their surroundings." The elderly woman answered with a laugh.
 
Jessica mouths an 'oh' as they let silence engulf them.
 
"Anyway, we talked to the doctor downstairs and he explained everything to us. I think Taeyeon will recover fast enough, he's always been a strong boy." Taeyeon's father spoke, moving to where Hayeon was.
 
Jessica shifted her weight from one foot to another as she stood face to face with Taeyeon's mother. The elderly woman let out another small smile, showing a dimple identical to that of Taeyeon's.
 
"Jessica," she said, stepping closer to Jessica, taking Jessica's hand in hers, surprising the head nurse. "Don't worry about Taeyeon, he's going to be fine."
 
"I-I.. I'm s-sorry. My sister-- she said she was the reason w-why this ha-happened."
 
Mrs. Kim squeezed her hand before letting it go. "She was, but I don't blame her."
 
Jessica looked off to the ground.
 
"Unnie, it wasn't Soojung's fault. Oppa just saved her, so it wasn't really her fault." Hayeon butted in and Jessica saw Mrs. Kim nodding her head.
 
"I-I don't understand.. Krystal said she was the reason.."
 
"Soojung just feels guilty, but it wasn't really like that." Hayeon answered once again.
 
"Oh, he's awake." Mr. Kim had Jessica rushing towards the hospital bed, relief and concern written all over her face.
 
**
 
"Don't move," Jessica instructed in a stern voice, making Taeyeon flinch even more. "It'll hurt more if you keep moving, Taengoo."
 
Taeyeon pouts, watching Jessica change the bandage on his elbow. He had been in the hospital for two days now and ever since he woke up, Jessica had been attending to his needs, much to his delight. His parents visits frequently too, but always chose to go home for the night, leaving him alone in his room except for when Jessica would visit him between her breaks.
 
"There, you're all done now." Jessica beamed, letting go of Taeyeon's arm, placing it gently on the pillow by his side. "Careful not to hurt yourself again, little boy."
 
Taeyeon scrunched up his face, making Jessica laugh before she shook her head. Looking over her watch, Jessica realized she had fifteen more minutes to spare.
 
"Soojung told me what happened," she started in a cautious tone, "I'm sorry, Taeyeon."
 
Taeyeon let out a smile as he shake his head, "You don't have to apologize. Neither does Krystal. I promised you I'll look after her, didn't I?"
 
Jessica nods her head, leaning back on her chair in a relaxed manner.
 
"And I have every intention in keeping that promise," Taeyeon added.
 
Jessica looked at him straight in the eye, searching for something that would tell her Taeyeon was faking it. But she found none. Letting out a small smile, she mumbled, "Why are you so perfect?"
 
"Sorry?" Taeyeon asked, tilting his head to the side, looking like a lost puppy.
 
Jessica was about to say something when a knock resounded in the small room. She looked at Taeyeon questioningly but Taeyeon just shrugged his shoulders.
 
"Come in," Jessica called out and they both watched as the door slowly cracked open.
 
"C-Coach?"
 
Taeyeon smiled upon recognizing the voice. "Come in, Krystal."
 
Jessica raised a brow at Taeyeon before turning her attention back to the door.
 
"U-Unnie.. I-I thought you were on d-duty." Krystal hung her head low as she stood by the doorway.
 
Jessica stood up from her seat and moved towards Krystal. "Why don't you come in? I was just about to leave. You can look after Taeyeon for me," she smiled at Krystal before patting her head. Krystal made a face but nodded her head.
 
"I should get going, then." Jessica looked back at Taeyeon, "I'll see you when I see you."
 
Taeyeon smiled, raising a thumb up at Jessica, eliciting giggles from the head nurse.
 
Krystal gingerly walked towards the bed as soon as the door closed behind her. She took the seat that her sister previously occupied. With head hung low, she let out a low 'sorry', fingers fiddling with the seam of her jeans.
 
Taeyeon tilted his head to the side, "Why? It wasn't your fault."
 
Krystal sighed. "It was. And you don't have to talk to me like nothing happened, it only makes me feel bad."
 
Taeyeon laughed, causing Krystal to look at him with furrowed brows.
 
"Sorry, it's just that you look so... I don't know, angelic?" Taeyeon sniggered, "I've never seen you like this before."
 
Krystal crinkled her nose at her coach before her face softens. "I'm really sorry, Coach. For what I said that day.. I was just really.. I don't know what to feel about everything right now."
 
Taeyeon nodded in understanding. "Krystal, I just want you to know that I really care for you.. even if it doesn't show."
 
Krystal brought her head back down, finding it hard to look at Taeyeon.
 
"I'm sorry, I just thought you'd be like him.."
 
"Him?" Taeyeon asked.
 
"Donghae."
 
"Why? What about him?"
 
Krystal looked at her sister who was curled up in her bed, body shaking as the sound of sobbing filled the room. She saw how Donghae and Jessica fought, heard every single word he said. They were supposed to get married six months from now and Krystal feels guilty for ruining her sister's relationship.
 
"She can't live with us. Let's send her to your parents," she heard Donghae say earlier and panic settled in instantly. She didn't want to part ways with Jessica, they had been together for as long as she can remember that she treats Jessica as her mother more than a sister.
 
"No, I can't do that," she heard Jessica say with much conviction and Krystal breathed out a sigh of relief, a smile lingering on her lips.
 
"What? You want her to live with us? No, Jessica. We're starting our own family soon," she heard Donghae say again, voice getting louder this time.
 
"No, Donghae. You don't understand. Krystal, she's my family, too. She'll be with me for as long as she likes, I don't care. I'll look after her for as long as I can, okay."
 
Donghae scoffed, "Just follow what I say, Jessica. I know better. Just send her to your parents."
 
This enraged Jessica as she pounded on Donghae's chest, "How dare you! This is my sister we are talking about!"
 
"Your sister that will be another mouth to feed!"
 
Jessica backed away from Donghae, hurt and betrayal written all over her face. "J-just get out. Please, just get out."
 
"Be practical, Jessica. If you really want a family with me, then let's send Krystal to your parents. That way you can look after my kids without worrying about your sister."
 
Krystal blinked and saw Jessica's hand landing in Donghae's cheek with the loud sound of skin hitting skin.
 
"I don't want your kids," Krystal saw a tear roll down Jessica's cheeks before she hastily wiped it, "Neither do I want anything to do with you anymore."
 
Krystal's eyes widened when she saw Jessica slipping her engagement ring from her finger and throwing it into Donghae's chest.
 
"You're going to regret this." Donghae said, picking the ring up before slamming their front door close.
 
She saw Jessica broke down into the floor and all Krystal could do was bite her lips as her own tears rolled down her cheeks.
 
"That's why she didn't let anyone in anymore. She was afraid that if se does, he would just end up asking what Donghae asked her to do. And when I saw her getting close to you, I was afraid, I started recalling what had happened before." Krystal admitted in a dejected tone.
 
"I know I shouldn't have judged you.. but I can't help it, Coach. I'm really afraid. What if Unnie finds someone that could make her willingly leave me behind? And then I though, what if it was you?" She added, tears running down her cheeks. Just the thought of Jessica leaving her behind was heart wrenching enough. She grew up with Jessica, thus making her so attached to her sister.
 
Taeyeon can't help but feel a little giddy inside at the thought of Jessica reciprocating his feelings but he immediately brushed it off, knowing that this wasn't the time to muse about those stuff.
 
"Krystal," He reached out, thumbing Krystal's tears away. "You know Jessica loves you very much. And if she managed to let go of Donghae because of you, then I don't think there'll be someone who'll ever to make her leave you."
 
Krystal scrunched up her face once again. "He was a douche, you know. He only wanted my sister for his own needs."
 
Taeyeon made a face. "What a douche, indeed."
 
"She tends to fall for the wrong person most of the time," Krystal chuckled. "But her ultimate weakness are clumsy guys."
 
Taeyeon laughed too. "Should I start acting clumsy now?"
 
Krystal looked at him incredulously before a loud laughter emitted from , making Taeyeon confused.
 
"You don't say?" Krystal said with amusement written on her face.
 
"What?"
 
"You don't have to start acting, you know. You're already so clumsy."
 
Taeyeon playfully raised a brow at Krystal. "I'm not clumsy."
 
"Yeah, yeah, just gullible."
 
"Yah!"
 
Krystal stuck her tongue out. "You know, I don't usually let anyone court my sister."
 
Taeyeon nodded, understanding where Krystal was coming from.
 
 "But I can always make exceptions, Coach."
 
Krystal smiled and Taeyeon realized it was the most genuine smile she had ever showed him.
 
"Thank you, for saving me.. and getting your in the hospital." Krystal snorted, suppressing her laughter again.
 
Taeyeon pouts, "If I didn't, I doubt I'd still be alive by now since I know for a fact that your sister won't stop hunting me."
 
Krystal nodded, "True. But really, how can someone be so clumsy?" she shook her head, "All you needed to do was pull me from the street and the both of us could have been safe. But no, you just had to act like some superhero and throw yourself on the street."
 
Taeyeon slightly blushed, realizing how embarrassing he might have looked that day.
 
"But I think you're enjoying your stay here, huh?" Krystal wiggled her brow at Taeyeon.
 
Taeyeon faked a cough, sight landing on the bandages Jessica had put on for him moments ago. A smile then graced his lips, momentarily forgetting about Krystal.
 
"You're really weird, you know."
 
Taeyeon looked at Krystal again, "Why? What makes me weird?"
 
Krystal shrugged her shoulders. "Just because."
 
**
 
Jessica cautiously slipped inside the door of Taeyeon's hospital room, noticing that the room had been silent, thinking that Taeyeon was already asleep. Her shift just ended and she wanted to bid Taeyeon goodbye before she gets home.
 
She quietly walked towards the bed, noticing that Taeyeon was already tucked inside his blanket. She smiled, bending over slightly and ran his fingers in Taeyeon's cheeks.
 
"Thank you," she said in a low voice, not wanting to wake Taeyeon up. "For caring about Soojung."
 
"I guess that date would never happen, huh?" she chuckled, remembering how their 'date' had never really happened.
 
Jessica sighs. "Get well soon, please. Nobody brings me dinner anymore."
 
Without putting much thought in her action, Jessica bent down lower until her lips landed onto Taeyeon's forehead. When she realized what she did, she immediately straightened up, a silent gasp emitting from . Her heartbeat raced and she hurried out of the room.
 
Taeyeon opened his eyes as soon as he heard the door closed with a low thud. A smile immediately etched on his face as he brought his fingers to his forehead, touching the spot Jessica's lips landed on.
 
He doesn't mind spending more days in the hospital, as long as he gets to see Jessica.