Chapter 4

Beneath Your Beautiful

Taeyeon scratched the back of his head as he looked questioningly at Krystal. He could have stopped seeking the girl's help. Could. Have.

He already established a pretty good friendship with Jessica for the last few weeks and he could probably go with his own way in winning Jessica's heart. But no, he wanted to do it in Jessica's ideal way, because Jessica deserves nothing but the best. At least he wants to try.

"Got it, coach?" Krystal beamed at him, lips tugged upwards in a wide smile as her hand opened in front of him, palm faced upwards like it always did.

Taeyeon nodded, right hand reaching to take his wallet from the back pocket of his jeans.

"A ride in a fancy car. Right." Although it bothers Taeyeon and he was kind of hesitant with the idea because Jessica never struck him as one of those girls who likes fancy cars. Jessica is a simple girl who likes simple things, despite the princess-like feel she gives off. Unbelievably so.

"Wait," he suddenly said, the hand with the bill stopping midway as he looks Krystal straight in the eyes, making the girl shift her weight from one foot to another. "This isn't another wrong information, right?"

Krystal let out an awkward chuckle. "Of course! Why would I do that?"

"Cucumber cakes, remember?" Taeyeon rolled his eyes.

Krystal regained her composure, hand moving to take the dollar bill from Taeyeon's hand. "Good luck, coach!" She fist pumped before skipping to her classroom, leaving Taeyeon in an internal debate if he should or should not believe Krystal.

Deciding that he would give it a try, he nods his head. Girls like fancy cars, right?

**

The tanned guy smiled at Taeyeon as he handed him the key of his metallic Porsche Carrera GT, one arm comfortably resting above his wife's shoulders.

"You know," the wife, Tiffany, said as she interlaced her fingers with her husband’s. "I don't think I like this girl."

Taeyeon pouts, "Why?"

"Come on, Taetae. A fancy car. Really? She might as well have asked for your bank account too."

A husky, deep laughter resounded in her right ear before a kiss landed on Tiffany's temple. "But I think I like this girl. Seriously, my car is just sitting on the garage and you don't even want to ride it. At least someone, a girl, appreciates fancy cars." The husband, Yuri, said.

Tiffany sent an elbow towards her husband's ribcage, making him slightly double over. "Aw, what was that for?" Yuri said, rubbing the offended spot.

"I told you, I don't like riding your car. It gets too much attention. I don't need carjackers chasing after me."

Taeyeon laughed then, breaking the couple's bickering. "You guys are still the cutest. When will I get to see little Yuri and little Tiffany?"

Taeyeon took notice of how red Tiffany's face had become, before Yuri rests a hand on top of Tiffany's tummy.

"Actually, Taeng.." he smiled coyly, "Fany's two months pregnant."

Taeyeon had a bewildered look in his face for a moment before his lips broke into a wide grin; three years of marriage and finally the Kwons will have an addition to their family.

"I thought you didn't want kids just yet?" He directed his question to Tiffany.

Tiffany nodded. "But this dork," she pointed a thumb at her husband, "Saw a family in Jeju on our anniversary and haven't stopped bothering me about a child since then."

Taeyeon laughed once more. Of course, what did he ever expect of Yuri? The guy likes kids. Love them even. He could still remember when Yuri would volunteer to look after Hayeon when they where teens.

"Well, I should get going then." Taeyeon waved at his friends.

"Wait, where are you taking her?" Yuri asked before Taeyeon could get inside the car.

Taeyeon scratched his head before shrugging.

"You have no plans yet?"

Taeyeon flinched at Tiffany's loud voice while the girl looked at him incredulously. He nods, not really knowing what to answer Tiffany.

"You've got to be kidding me, Kim Taeyeon!"

Taeyeon hung his head low; he knows Tiffany is the perfectionist type when it comes to dates and romantic stuff.

"Fine, fine," he looked up as Tiffany spoke in a much calmer tone, "There's an over-looking place just outside the city, it's really nice there since you'll be able to see all of Seoul. Don't forget to bring blankets or coats; it gets pretty cold there since it's a higher place."

Taeyeon smiled, "You're the best, Tiff."

"Of course," Tiffany answered proudly, right arm snaking around Yuri's torso.

"Now, shoo and prepare for your date." Yuri then butts in, waving a hand at Taeyeon who answered it with a laugh and a 'Yes, chief'.

The word 'date' had Taeyeon smiling on the way home. It's the first time he'll ask Jessica for an official date and suddenly it bothers Taeyeon. What if Jessica doesn't say yes? What if Jessica just wanted to be friends? But friends can date, right? But did he really want to be just friends? Of course no, he likes Jessica way too much to be just friends. He likes her for the longest time

**

Jessica spent her birthday sleeping in since she haven't had proper sleep for the past days. And thankfully, no one bothered throwing her a party and tried to interrupt her much needed rest; the perks of not having way too many friends. Sunny and Eli had left her birthday messages on voicemail and she was just glad her two friends weren't the pushy type.

As she stood on the bus stop, a familiar short girl caught her attention and the girl cheerfully waved a hand at her as their eyes met. Jessica replied with a quick wave of her hand and a nod before the girl moved towards her.

"Jessica-unnie." Hayeon said, face adorned by a smile identical to her brother's and suddenly Jessica misses her 'friend'.

"Hey, Hayeon. How are you?"

"I'm fine. How about you? Oh, belated happy birthday, unnie."

Jessica nodded, "Thank you. How did you know?"

"Oh, Taeyeon-oppa told me."

Jessica nodded once more.

"Anyway, where's Soojung? Isn't she going to school today?" Hayeon looked around them, hoping to catch a glimpse of Krystal.

"Oh, she's sick from eating too much apple yesterday."

"Really?" Hayeon scratched her arm, "So that explains why she's acting weird yesterday."

"Yeah, she’s actually allergic to apple."

“Oh.”

Hayeon and Jessica stood side by side on the bus stop as they wait for the bus before Jessica spoke again.

"Where's.. Taeyeon?"

Hayeon's head instantly turned towards Jessica, looking questioningly at the older girl before a small smile broke from her lips.

"Oppa left home early. He said he was going to ask Yul-oppa for a favor."

Jessica just nodded, despite the foreign name. She didn't want to ask more. She was just curious. Nothing's wrong with being curious, right? Right.

**

"Good morning, Nurse Jung." The young surgical doctor, Jaejoong, flashed Jessica his bright smile as soon as she stepped inside the hospital. Jessica didn't like the smile; there was something mischievous in it that screams danger.

"Good morning, Dr. Kim." Jessica bowed.

"Say," Jaejoong started and Jessica already knew what would come next, "Would you like to have dinner with me? I bought a new wine and I think it'd be perfect if we try it." He moved to touch Jessica on her upper arm but Jessica was fast to move away.

"I'm sorry, Dr. Kim, but my schedule's packed today. I don't think I have time for dinner."

The young surgeon laughed; a dry and fake one. "Oh, come on Jessica. It's just dinner. Maybe we can talk about promotion then," he smiled that wicked smile again and Jessica just wanted to punch him on the face.

"I'm happy with my position right now, Doctor, and I'm already the head nurse. I can't possibly hope to be a doctor when I haven't finished my medical degree yet."

The smile in Jaejoong's face vanished and was immediately replaced by a stoic expression, jaw clenched and all.

"I'll let it pass this time. But remember, Nurse Jung, nobody rejects Kim Jaejoong. Nobody."

Jessica bowed once again, "Now if you'll excuse me, Doctor, I have chores to do and I don't really have time to flirt around." She then skipped to her office, making sure Jaejoong gets the last words.

"That was awesome. Serves him right!" Jessica jumped a little when Sunny spoke from beside her who she haven't noticed that had walked with her towards their office. She playfully slapped Sunny's arm before letting out a giggle.

"And you're giggling. Well, this is a first." Sunny added.

Jessica shook her head, "Let's just go to work, Soonkyu."

Sunny groaned, "Don't say that out loud! Eli might hear."

Jessica stopped in front of the door of their office as she turned to face Sunny, "And since when did it matter to you if Eli did?"

Sunny her lips, "It's not what you think, okay. The annoying nurse likes to make fun of me and I'm pretty sure that he'd tease me with my Korean name as soon as he hears it."

Jessica arched a brow at the younger nurse, "You do realize that he had been working with us for some time now, right? And that he might have already came across your records before?"

Sunny groaned, finally opening the office door. "Why did you have to tell me? Now it bothers me that he already knows."

"Because he already knows?" Jessica spoke again, making Sunny groan once more.

"I'm not talking to you anymore." Sunny pouted, earning a chuckle from Jessica. Which was weird, by the way, because Nurse Jung was never the type to find the pettiest of things to be amusing, let alone her pout that Nurse Jung had always find annoying.

**

Taeyeon leaned on the hood of Yuri's Porsche like one of those teenagers in movies who tries so hard to impress their girlfriend. Then a chuckle escaped his lips at the thought before he straightened up to stand properly. What was he thinking acting like one of those heartthrobs, really? Another chuckle. Maybe he was just nervous.

He glanced at his black G-shock and took notice of the time. It was already five-thirty in the afternoon and Jessica will be out soon. He dusted his pants and shirt, trying to calm his nerves.

"Taeyeon?"

Jessica's voice had Taeyeon snapping his head up, giving him whiplash. He groaned and held the back of his neck.

"Oh my god, are you alright?" Jessica half-ran towards Taeyeon to assess the guy who was still clutching his nape.

"I'm okay, don't worry." Taeyeon tried smiling despite the pain he was feeling on his nape that was gradually vanishing.

"Are you sure? Let's get you inside to be checked, okay?" Jessica's voice was still laced with worry and it made Taeyeon's heart skip beats, making him wonder if it was how teenage girls feel when they're in love.

"No, I'm fine. Really." He managed to say, despite the loud pounding on his chest.

Jessica looked at him thoughtfully before she nodded, moving a step away from Taeyeon. The proximity was scary, like she can't breathe realizing how close Taeyeon was.

"If you say so."

Silence fell upon them for a moment with Jessica fiddling with her bag, looking for anything and nothing at all while Taeyeon cracked his neck from side to side, making sure it didn't hurt anymore.

"So, uh," Taeyeon wiped his sweaty palm in his jeans, "are you going home now?"

"Yeah," Jessica answered curtly, eyes traveling to the flashy car in Taeyeon's back. Taeyeon never brought a car with him and as far as Jessica knows, the guy only owns a motorcycle that wasn't even the latest model. Not that she minds though, since Taeyeon had always gave off the vibe of someone who would never waste their money on expensive cars.

"Are you in a rush? I mean," Jessica took notice of how Taeyeon shifted his weight from one foot to another. "Do you have time for a... d-date?"

Jessica stared right into Taeyeon's eyes before the guy's eyes flickered and shifted to look elsewhere.

"A date?" She repeats, incredulity evident in her voice.

"I-if only you have time.. and if you don't mind. I mean, it's just a friendly date.. nothing more."

Jessica watched Taeyeon scratch his head like the itch was never leaving the spot and she realized it was a habit he does when he's shy. It was the same gesture he used when he was stating his hate towards Donghae. Sometimes instead of scratching his head, Taeyeon would just keep silent and fiddle with his fingers. And Jessica wondered when she started noticing those little things.

"I'm not sure, Taeyeon. Krystal's sick and nobody's looking after her."

Taeyeon scratched his head once more, messing his perfectly combed hair. "I-I sent Hayeon... to look after K-Krystal."

There was silence between them once again and Taeyeon feared the worst. Maybe it really wasn't the right time for a date yet.

"B-but it's okay. I know you're worried for your sister. W-we can do it some time." Taeyeon let out a smile, a genuine one, because he understands where Jessica was coming from and that he would do the same had he been on her shoes. "But at least let me take you home?"

Jessica gave Taeyeon a closed-lip smile before nodding her head yes. Taeyeon's smile then turned into a grin as he stuck his hand out to Jessica who looked at him questioningly.

"Your things... c-can I carry them?"

Jessica could never understand why Taeyeon Kim would stutter at the simplest, most innocent things that escapes his mouth. She nodded before handing him her bag and the papers she was carrying.

They both walked towards the flashy car that had caught Jessica's eyes earlier and she arched a brow when Taeyeon opened the passenger's seat for her. She went in, trying to keep herself from asking Taeyeon about the car. For some reason, she was bothered by the obviously expensive car, thinking that Taeyeon was a high-maintenance guy despite the modesty he had always showed her. What if she was wrong and Taeyeon was just like any other guys out there? And personally, she didn’t like flashy cars, she had always associated flashy cars with cheaters since she was young and it hadn’t changed since then.

"You okay?" Taeyeon's voice brought her out of her thoughts as the guy looked at her worriedly.

"I'm okay," Jessica shifted on her seat.

Taeyeon hummed, turning the ignition on. "Do you mind if we buy dinner first? I think Krystal and Hayeon haven't eaten yet." He said as he started maneuvering to the street.

Jessica nodded and silence fell between them again, but this time it was comfortable, accompanied by the low humming from the car stereo.

"I never thought you owned a car." Jessica broke the silence without looking at Taeyeon, too ashamed that she had to ask that. But her curiosity got the better of her yet again.

In her peripheral view, Jessica saw Taeyeon shook his head and she turned to face the guy.

"This isn't really mine. This is my friend's. I borrowed it coz I wanted to take you out for a ride."

Jessica wanted to laugh at the guy's reddened cheeks but above everything else, she was taken aback by the honesty. Most guys would have claimed the expensive car to be theirs and pretend to be something they're not. But then again, this is Taeyeon.

"I see," she said, lips threatening to break into a smile at the thought of how ridiculously shy Taeyeon is for a twenty-five year old guy.

"We're here," Taeyeon parked the car in front of a small diner before unbuckling his seatbelt. "Is it okay if you wait here? I'll be really quick."

Jessica nodded and Taeyeon proceeded to open his door.

"Uh, Taeyeon.." Jessica called out, stopping Taeyeon midway. "No cucumbers for Krystal too, please."

Taeyeon smiled and nodded at Jessica before finally getting out of the car and into the diner.

Jessica watched his every move, noticing how awkward Taeyeon walks but ridiculously cute. And then she blushed. She had never used the word cute for a guy before. Ever.

**

The ride to Jessica and Krystal's house was spent in a light conversation as Jessica and Taeyeon talked about random stuff.

Taeyeon went out of the car first and speed-walked towards Jessica's side of the car, opening the door for her.

"Thanks," Jessica let out in a shy but adorable tone.

Taeyeon scratched the back of his head again, before handing Jessica the food containers for her and Krystal. "Can you please call Hayeon for me? Tell her I'll wait here."

Jessica had a thoughtful look in her face, teeth nibbling her bottom lip. "D-do you want.. to come i-inside? And eat dinner.. with us?"

"Do you want me to?"

Jessica laughed some. Nasally and adorable; something good in Taeyeon's ears.

"Of course, silly. Aren't I the one who asked you to?"

Taeyeon shifted his weight from one foot to another. "Right. Y-yeah. I'd love to stay for dinner."

"Come on in, then," Jessica motioned for Taeyeon to follow her. Taeyeon took the food containers from Jessica again before they went inside the house.

"Soojung, I'm home!"

Feet shuffled on the wooden floor before a smiling Krystal and Hayeon went to greet them.

"Oh, oppa, you're here?" Hayeon said before moving to help her brother with the food containers.

Taeyeon nodded, kicking his shoes on the foyer and ruffling her sister’s newly braided hair, earning grunts from Krystal who pulled the shorter girl back to her side.

“We spent an hour on this!” Krystal whined, trying to salvage the now disheveled hair.

Taeyeon sent them a sheepish grin before following Jessica to the kitchen.

“Your brother is a douche.” Krystal whispered, pulling Hayeon to the kitchen.

The shorter girl giggled, elbowing Krystal on the ribs. “He’s your coach and he’s not a douche. He’s just really sweet like that.”

Krystal made a face, sticking out her tongue at the Kim. “Of course you’ll say that, he’s your brother after all.”

Hayeon shook her head, not wanting to argue more.

**

“I’ll do the dishes,” Taeyeon announced as he gathered the plates to the sink.

“No, it’s okay, Taeyeon. I can do the dishes.” Jessica counters.

“No, really. I insist.”

“Fine. But I’ll help.” Jessica said, taking the dishwashing soap from the sink.

Taeyeon grinned, taking the dishwashing liquid from Jessica. “Don’t wanna get those beautiful hands getting calloused.”

Jessica blushed like mad and she hid it with a fake cough, urging Taeyeon to start washing as she watched the guy from the side.

“Where are your parents?” Taeyeon suddenly asked, hands still busy with the dishes.

“They are in California, working.”

Taeyeon nodded. “Do they come often? Or you and Krystal go to see them?”

“They come home on holidays or whenever they can.”

“Do you miss them?”

A sad smile ghosted on Jessica’s face. “I do. I miss them a lot.”

Taeyeon smiled too, “You should visit them, then. It’s hard to be away from your parents. My Dad isn’t really always home, but I make sure to see him whenever he was.”

Jessica’s smile widened. It isn’t everyday that somebody tries to talk about her family, and she likes it. Talking about her parents is something she always likes; it makes her miss them less.

“Yeah, maybe some time when the hospital approves my leave.”

“I hope they do so you can visit your parents.”

Silence fell upon them as Taeyeon tried thinking of other things to ask Jessica. There are too many things he wants to ask, really, but he feels like they’re not that close yet to be asking about it.

“Uhm, Taeyeon?”

“Yes, Jessica?”

“Why?”

Taeyeon furrowed his brows as he turned to look at Jessica. “Why what?”

“Why are you doing all these? I mean.. you, coming out of your way every night just to bring me dinner, or look after Krystal at school when you can actually spend your time trying to win some girl’s heart. So, why?” Jessica actually knows, or at least she has a hunch, but she wanted to hear it. She wanted for Taeyeon to say it.

“I’m actually trying to win someone’s heart, but she’s not just ‘some girl’,” Taeyeon smiles before bringing his attention back to the dishes, wiping them dry.

Jessica smiled a little, turning her back at Taeyeon. “Thank you, Taeyeon. For trying,” it was merely a whisper and Taeyeon failed to hear it, much to Jessica’s relief.

“There, all done.” Taeyeon wiped his hands on his jeans and Jessica made a face.

“What?” Taeyeon asked innocently.

“Don’t wipe your hands on your jeans, you look like a kid.” Jessica tossed a tissue to Taeyeon before walking past the guy, only to stop when she felt water sprinkles on her face. “Yah!”

Taeyeon stuck his tongue out, soaking his hands again to sprinkle Jessica with water.

“Oh, so you want war?” Jessica looked at him with a smirk and cupped her hands to fill it with water before throwing it at Taeyeon.

“Yah! Not fare!” He whines, sprinkling Jessica with water again, to which the girl responded by throwing another handful of water, soaking the collar of Taeyeon’s shirt.

He pouts and Jessica laughed before dabbing a tissue at the wet fabric. “You’re no fun, Taengoo-yah. You started this water fight and you pout like I stole your lollipop.”

“You stole my heart though.”

It was so fast and Jessica’s hand faltered, causing for the tissue to drop on the floor. Taeyeon’s index finger went under her chin, lifting her head up to meet his longing gaze. Taeyeon just looked at her, not moving or trying to move. He just stared, and stared, memorizing the beautiful face right before his eyes; the thin eyebrows, the small eyes, the pointed nose, the define cheekbone with a mole on the left, the thin lips that was naturally formed into a scowl, the defined chin that compliments the beautiful face. Everything about Jessica was painfully enticing and Taeyeon wonders how long it will be until he can’t take the close proximities anymore without jumping at Jessica and kissing the girl senseless. But no, he would never do that to Jessica. Not without her permission, at least.

“You kids done playing yet?”

Taeyeon mentally groaned, what good time for Krystal to show up in the kitchen? Of course just when Jessica’s brown orbs softened at him like she was actually feeling what Taeyeon was feeling at the moment.

He let go of Jessica’s face. “S-sorry. I got carried away.”

Jessica nodded her head before walking towards Krystal and Taeyeon watched the Jungs disappeared from his sight. He sighed, fears of Jessica not talking to him again swirling about his head.

Pushing his self from the sink, he followed where the Jungs disappeared to; the living room.

**

“Oppa, are you okay?” Hayeon asked as they both walked towards the metallic Porsche parked in front of Jessica and Krystal’s house.

“Hm? Of course,” he smiled, patting his sister’s head. “Why’d you ask?”

Hayeon shrugged her shoulders, “I just thought you weren’t. You were so silent since you came back from the kitchen.”

Taeyeon chuckled, pressing a button at the car key before the sound of the car alarm echoed on the silent street. “I’m just tired.”

“Oh, I thought something happened.”

Taeyeon opened the car door for Hayeon. “Nothing happened. Did you have fun today?” he asked as he watched Hayeon buckle up on her seat. The younger Kim nodded her head with a grin. “Good,” Taeyeon said before closing the door.

“Taeyeon?”

His head instantly turned towards Jessica.

“Sica.. about earlier.. I—“

Jessica shook her head as she stopped to stand a feet away from Taeyeon.

“Don’t worry about it,” she lets out a small smile. “I was thinking,” she tucks her hair behind her ear and Taeyeon’s insides flips at the innocent action. “About that date..”

Taeyeon suppressed a smile, “What about the date?”

“I..” Jessica looked off to the side, “I think I’d like to go on a date with you too.”

“You do?” Taeyeon’s voice went a pitch higher and Jessica giggles.

“I do. Will Saturday be okay?”

“Of course! Any time you want.” Taeyeon grins.

“It’s Saturday, then.” Jessica nods, pulling her cardigan tighter around her body.

“You should go inside now; it’s getting cold out here.” Taeyeon said when he noticed how Jessica was gripping on her cardigan.

Jessica nods once more, “Good night, Taeyeon. It was nice having you and Hayeon here.”

Taeyeon could only smile widely, “Good night, Jessica. Sleep tight.”

Jessica waves, before turning to go back inside her house with a sweet smile plastered on her face. Taeyeon may not look like most of the guys that tried to win her heart in the past, but he definitely was a stunner in his own adorable ways. Jessica giggles; she had been using the world adorable way too much around Taeyeon and it wasn’t too manly, but Taeyeon is really adorable especially when he pouts.

“What’s wrong with you?” Krystal looked at her with one brow raised as she walked in the foyer.

“Nothing. Nothing’s wrong with me.” She pressed her lips together as she walked past Krystal.

“You sure look like a lovesick puppy, unnie.”

Jessica laughed, and it was the heartiest laughter Krystal ever heard from her sister. It made her happy, and worried at the same time.

“I do?”

Krystal rolls her eyes before strolling off to her room, “Whatever.”