Chapter 14

Beneath Your Beautiful

“Dr. Choi!” Taeyeon ran after the elderly man in the parking lot of the hospital where Jessica works, panting a little as he stopped in front of the kind doctor.

“Oh, it's you, Mr. Kim.” The doctor beamed upon seeing him. “Is there anything I could do for you?”

Taeyeon smiled sheepishly as he scratched the back of his head. “Actually,” he started, standing upright in front of the doctor. “I would like to ask if your offer is still open.”

The doctor raised a brow at Taeyeon, seemingly lost. Taeyeon cleared his throat before adding, “You said if I ever need any favor, to just talk to you...”

Dr. Choi's brows slightly jerked up at the realization. He did tell Taeyeon to talk to him if there was anything he could do for the young man, as a token of his gratitude for saving Jessica from Jaejong that day and probably the other employees of his hospital that could get in the same situation. “Of course!” he said, patting Taeyeon's shoulder. “Is there anything I can do for you? Are your parents well?”

“Oh, they are well..” Taeyeon said. “There's just one favor that I'd like to ask from you.”

Dr. Choi nodded his head, signaling Taeyeon to continue.

“I.. I have something special prepared for J-Nurse Jessica.. a-and.. I-I would like to ask permission if I-I could use the rooftop of your hospital?”

Dr. Choi's lips curved into a shape somewhere in between a smirk and a smile and Taeyeon felt a little embarrassed. What was he even thinking asking the owner of the hospital about it? Then again, he wasn't really thinking. All he focused on was how to make Jessica's dream date come true.

“Didn't you use it before without my permission, though?” Dr. Choi said and Taeyeon's shoulders fell, feeling more ashamed. “That was Jessica's birthday, wasn't it?”

Taeyeon could only nod at him.

“Well,” Dr. Choid started. “You're lucky I'm in a very good mood today.” He cracks a wide smile at Taeyeon this time. “So, yes, you can use it. Just tell me when so I can tell the staffs to decorate it for you or whatever.”

Taeyeon shook his head. “There's no need for that, Dr. Choi.. t-that would be too much to ask.”

Dr. Choi shook his head, the smile never fading from his face and Taeyeon thought it was what made the doctor look younger than his actual age. “Suit yourself, Mr. Kim.”

Taeyeon wanted to hug him, if only it wouldn't look so wrong and weird. So instead he shook the kind doctor's hand with an obvious excitement in his eyes.  “Thank you so much, Dr. Choi.”

Dr. Choi nodded his head before climbing inside his car.

**

Jessica smiled at her sister's reflection in the mirror, her hands fiddling with Krystal's locks as she braided her younger sister's hair for the play. “You look exceptionally beautiful tonight,” she said. “You look exactly like a princess.”

Krystal laughed a little, leaning her head at her sister's stomach. “That sounds like something Coach Kim would say,” she said. “He's totally rubbing off on you.”

Jessica bit her lower lip to stop it from spreading into a smile, remembering how Taeyeon had kissed her outside her house with nothing but adoration and respect. Blood rushed to her cheeks when she realized she wants to kiss Taeyeon again.

Krystal pulled Jessica down from her musings with a loud laughter, the back of her head pushing against Jessica's stomach more as she threw her head back. Jessica raised a brow at her younger sister. “You really like him,” Krystal said as she straightened up, giggling. “You were daydreaming about him just now, weren't you?”

Jessica's cheeks gave her away when her blush deepened. Krystal groaned, “Just don't get too cheesy in front of me. You know I hate that stuff.”

“We're not even official, so you don’t have to worry about us being mushy and all..” Jessica trailed off before adding, “But that shouldn't matter, right? Since we like each other..” she trailed off in uncertainty once again. Truth be told, she still want the traditional 'Will You Be My Girlfriend?' kind of proposal.

“What did you even like about that annoying chaperone?” Krystal said, not really meaning her words. She liked Taeyeon for her sister and Jessica seemed to like the guy just as much.

Jessica's lips stretched out into a wide smile as she put on the white little flowers in Krystal's hair, forming a crown. “I'm not sure either,” she admitted. “I think it's the little things he does.. and how his eyes would always speak to me.. how soft his touch were...” she trailed off, mind wandering back to Taeyeon, wondering what the guy was doing at the moment.

Krystal shook her head, lips stretched into a small but grateful smile. It was obvious that her sister was smitten with Taeyeon and Krystal was thankful that, after a long while, Jessica finally found someone to share her smiles with.

**

Taeyeon was smiling at Jessica and Krystal as he waits for them by his father’s car, donning a light blue button-up under a white sweater, the sleeves rolled up just below his elbows, and his denim jeans; a coat folded in his arm. His hair was neatly combed, his face newly shaven. Jessica thought he looked more like a high school student than a high school teacher.

When Taeyeon’s eyes momentarily travelled to Krystal, he gave her a thumb up before cheerily saying, “You look exceptionally beautiful tonight!”

Krystal can’t help but laugh, remembering how her sister said the exact same words a while ago. She looked up at her older sister, who was trying to hide her smile, before giving Taeyeon a thumb up. “When was I never beautiful, Coach?”

Taeyeon snorted. “I hope you get some of your sister’s modesty, too.”

Krystal rolled her eyes before opening the door to the backset as if it were their own car. “I’m going to be late for my play,” she says playfully before climbing inside the car.

Taeyeon scratched the back of his head as he smiled at Jessica. “Hi,” he said. “Did you wait too long?”

Jessica shook her head with a smile. “We didn’t,” she said, hands going to the skirt of her polka dot dress before adjusting her black cardigan around her body. Taeyeon can’t help but smile at Jessica who looked so adorable in her dress. “But,” Jessica said as she tilted her head back up to look at Taeyeon in the eyes. “We should get going before Snow White gets late for her play.”

Taeyeon chuckled. “Right,” he said, stretching his hand out to Jessica, who took it almost immediately, before he guided her to the passenger seat. Before opening the door, however, Taeyeon tucked Jessica’s hair behind her ear. “You look amazing,” he said, eyes sparkling as they stared at Jessica, who blushed at the comment.

**

Krystal tightly closed her eyes as she waited for the final scene that would conclude the play – the kiss. She could hear the loud pounding of her heart, could hear the uneven breathing of the person hovering above her, could smell the mint from a mouthwash she’s so sure she had used before and the manly cologne of Minhyuk that was slowly invading her senses. They have never rehearsed this scene, their teacher wanted to save it for the play – which Krystal was so thankful during rehearsals. However, as the seconds ticked and Minhyuk’s face got closer to hers, the pounding of her heart became louder. This will be her first kiss, whether for a play or not, and her sister will witness it. It’s just a peck, she kept reminding herself but it didn’t help at all. She was still nervous.

“Please don’t hate me,” she heard Minhyuk whisper before finally his lips landed on hers. For a moment everything stopped, there was no sound but her pounding heart and a gasp from the audience that was so distinct she could already see her sister’s horrified expression. Her eyes involuntarily fluttered open, connecting with Minhyuk’s, who was now watching her with a small smile on his face. Krystal’s face didn’t give any expression as she rose up from the make-shift bed she was laying in. The words ‘and they lived happily ever after’ echoed from the speakers before the auditorium broke into a deafening sound of applause.

When Krystal turned to face the audience, they were standing and a very proud (and teary) Jessica stood out from everyone else as she clapped her hands real hard. Krystal grinned at Jessica and Taeyeon before bowing at the audience along with the other casts of the play.

Taeyeon looked at Jessica with concern. He heard the gasp that has escaped Jessica’s mouth when Minhyuk landed a peck on Krystal’s lips earlier. And as Jessica stood beside him, clapping her hands so hard that her palms were becoming red, Taeyeon saw the pride in her eyes. Like a mother seeing her child walk for the first time. Taeyeon understood that; Krystal did very well in the play. It was like watching a professional theatre actress (although he might be biased) deliver her lines effortlessly.

Jessica suddenly stopped clapping and turned to face Taeyeon with a wide smile. “Did you see her?” she asked, clutching Taeyeon’s arm to make sure he was listening to her. “She was so great! Taeyeon, my sister was so great up there!”

Taeyeon could only chuckle and nod his head. “She was,” he said, wrapping his left arm around Jessica's small body. “Krystal makes me proud.” It was true. Krystal did make Taeyeon proud, maybe not as proud as Jessica was, but he was proud of the younger Jung. He never thought Krystal had it in her. He was so used to seeing the mischievous girl running around the school with Hayeon, trying to chase the guys away.

He rubs Jessica's arm before letting go of the woman, taking the bouquet he prepared for Krystal as he started guiding Jessica to the backstage, their hands intertwined.

Krystal immediately sprinted towards Jessica as soon as she saw her sister and Taeyeon entering the backstage. She felt so happy that she practically threw herself at Jessica, who was a little surprised. Krystal didn't know how, but the three of them ended up laughing while she was still protectively wrapped around Jessica's arms.

“Congratulations, Krystal.” Taeyeon stretched out the bouquet he was holding towards Krystal, who immediately let go of her sister to take the flowers.

“I've never received a bouquet before,” she announced shyly, making Taeyeon and Jessica chuckle.

Taeyeon looks over Krystal's shoulder, a smirk now adorning his face. “Well,” he said, throwing a brief glance at Jessica. “I think you'll be receiving them often from now on.” He nodded towards Minhyuk who was standing a few feet away from them, a big bouquet of roses in his arms.

Jessica looks over to Minhyuk, her lips breaking into a small smile. “I hope your teachers will treat you dinner tonight because I haven't cooked anything.”

Krystal rolled her eyes. Jessica never cooked for dinner except when there were special occasions, they were so used to buying take outs because of her sister’s busy schedule. “Yeah, they are,” she answered, looking back at her schoolmates, only to be met by the sight of a shy Minhyuk.

“Then I guess we'll go ahead?” Jessica said with a smile. “Just don't go home too late, okay? You still have your curfew.”

Krystal nodded before she waved them goodbye. When Jessica and Taeyeon were gone, Minhyuk bravely approached Krystal with a sheepish smile on his face as he handed her the bouquet, murmuring a ‘you were so great tonight’. When he realized that Krystal was already holding one, he offered to hold both of the bouquets so she could change into comfortable clothes. Krystal laughed at how Minhyuk reminds her of Coach Kim first before handing the bouquet to him. Minhyuk walked her to the dressing room and she could hear her heart beating loudly once again as she stole glances at the unsuspecting Minhyuk.

**

Jessica pulled her cardigan around her body when they stepped out of the auditorium. The night air was a little chilly and the grasses were a little damp. They crossed the peaceful soccer field in silence. Taeyeon walked beside her, so close that she could almost hear the guy's breathe, could smell his cologne, could almost feel his heartbeat against her skin. It made her smile a little, realizing how she likes having Taeyeon close.

From the corner of her eyes, Jessica saw Taeyeon taking his jacket off before he put it on her. “It's a little chilly tonight,” Taeyeon said in a soft voice.

Jessica turned her head towards Taeyeon to give him a little smile. “I like the weather,” she said. “It's perfect.”

Taeyeon seem to have taken the hint as he wrapped his arm around Jessica once again. “You make it perfect,” he said, placing a peck at the top of Jessica's head as they continued walking towards the employees' parking lot.

Jessica can't help but smile to herself. She was one lucky girl for having Taeyeon.

When they reached home after eating at the closest diner that night, Taeyeon kissed Jessica on the lips, politely declining her offer of tea, reasoning that he had some things to take care of. Jessica didn’t thought of anything about it as she was too high with happiness so she let Taeyeon leave with another peck on the lips.

That night, Jessica slept with a smile on her face, just like how she had for the past days.