Chapter 1

Beneath Your Beautiful

“Unnie!”

Her sister’s cheerful voice had Jessica turning back. She stopped on her tracks and turned her body to fully face Krystal who was speed walking towards her on the sidewalk.

“Are you on your way to work?” asked Krystal as she linked her arm with her sister. Jessica nodded before they continued walking in a slow pace.

“No suitors to pick you up today?

Krystal’s question was accompanied with a teasing grin, making Jessica roll her eyes.

“No, and I don’t want suitors.” Jessica said firmly before they stopped on the shades of the bus stop. By then, Krystal was waving at a duo at the other end of the line. It was a girl who wore the same uniform as Krystal and a guy who looked like a... high school student?

“Unnie, come on. I want you to meet my bestfriend.”

Before Jessica could say no, Krystal had already drag her towards the short duo. The girl was cute with her height but the guy was.. well, short.

“Hayeon-ah! This is Jessica, my sister!”

“Oh, hello Jessica-unnie.” The short girl named Hayaeon bowed and Jessica answered her with a nod.

“By the way, this is my older brother..” Hayaeon added and Jessica eyed the ‘older brother’ who looked like he was the same age as the two high school girls.

“This is Taeyeon-oppa.”

The guy named Taeyeon smiled widely at Jessica, which she found really annoying, before extending a hand towards her. Jessica eyed the extended hand before raising a brow at the short guy. Taeyeon then hesitantly retracted his hand before rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Krys let’s go. You’re going to be late.” Jessica walked to board the bus that had just stopped in front of her, ignoring the people’s protests behind them as they cut in line.

Krystal’s eyes scanned the bus as soon as they settle down. She heaved a sigh when she saw Hayeon sitting on the back row with Taeyeon.

“Why didn’t you accept the hand shake? You know it’s very rude, unnie.” Krystal asked just when Jessica was about to close her eyes to take a short nap.

Jessica turned to face her sister with incredulous look in her face before tucking a strand of auburn hair beside her ear. This didn’t go unnoticed by the onyx eyes that was watching her every move.

“His hand might have germs; you don’t know where that kid’s hand came from.” Jessica answered with a shrug before returning to her previous position.

“Kid?!” Krystal said a little louder, making all eyes turn on them, but being a Jung; they didn’t mind it.

“Unnie, Taeyeon-oppa graduated the same year as you. You both even attended the same high school.” She added.

“Whatever, Krys.”

With a wave of the hand, Jessica closed her eyes to take her precious nap.

**

The meeting at the bus stop earlier had been invading Taeyeon’s mind the whole afternoon. Jessica didn’t take his hand, but she looked at him. And that was enough to make Taeyeon Kim’s knees turn into a pair of mush. Never mind that she raised an accusing brow at him, what’s important is that for the first time, Jessica Jung looked at him.

He remembers how the girl had lazily yet elegantly tucked her hair behind her ears. It was like watching those girls in shampoo commercials. But Jessica was better. Way, way better. And the girl’s skin was really smooth she could have been a model for a body lotion. And her… front—

“What are you grinning at?”

Krystal’s voice broke his daydream, again. He groaned before facing the younger girl who stood with hands on her hips as she looked at Taeyeon accusingly.

“Are you thinking of erted thoughts about my sister right now?”

Taeyeon was fast to shake his head with hands raised in front of his face.

“N-no. Of course not! Why would I?”

Krystal stepped closer, “Coach Kim, your grin says so.”

She then strolled to the basketball ring, approaching her classmates that had already been playing. Taeyeon can only shake his head.

Having Krystal as a student is hard enough, how much more being his brother in law?

And before he could even realize it, another grin adorned his face.

Jessica Kim. Not bad.

**

“Uhm, can you please call Miss Jung?”

The male nurse behind the information counter looked at Taeyeon with furrowed brows.

“You mean nurse Jung?”

“Y-yeah. Nurse Jung. Jessica Jung?”

“I know her name. What do you need?” The male nurse answered without looking at him as he brought his attention back to the documents he was scanning before Taeyeon interrupted him.

“I-uh, can you just call her, please?”

The male nurse looked up to Taeyeon once again, but this time with incredulous eyes. Was this guy crazy? The head nurse never accepted visitors when she’s at work. Ever. Not even her family if it wasn’t an emergency situation.

“Is it some emergency?”

“Uh, y-yeah. Just tell her Taeyeon Kim is here, the guy in the bus stop this morning.”

“What’s the emergency?”

“Can’t tell you.”

The male nurse looked at him hesitantly before picking up the landline phone in the counter and dialled some numbers. Taeyeon recalled what Krystal had said this afternoon after gym class while the male nurse conversed on the phone.

“Coach Kim, my sister really likes it when someone visits her on the hospital when she’s on duty. And remember to bring melon juice, okay? That’s her favorite.”

Taeyeon grinned as he gave Krystal the ten dollars they had agreed on.

“Hwaiting, Coach!”

Then both Hayeon and Krystal ran off to an ice cream stall.

“What’s the emergency?”

Taeyeon snapped out of his thoughts as Jessica’s voice came from a hallway beside the information counter. Soon, Jessica’s distressed figure came to stand beside the counter. She eyed Taeyeon for a tad bit, her eyes landed on the school logo on the guy’s varsity jacket before she panicked.

“W-what happened to Krystal?! Where is she? Is she hurt? Oh my god, I told her not to take up gym classes anymore!”

She was pacing back and forth as she raked her hand through her auburn tresses. Taeyeon furrowed his brow before deciding to speak.

“Ah, Jessica-shi. N-nothing happened to Krystal. I j-just came to b-bring you these.” He then raised the plastic bag containing the melon juice and a tuna sandwich.

“I-I wanted to say s-sorry for this morning. You.. err, I.. I wanted to s-say sorry for asking t-to shake your hand. M-maybe you’re not the kind of person who does that in their first meeting. So I w-want to say sorry if I offended you in.. a-any way.”

Taeyeon felt uneasy as Jessica looked at him with murderous eyes and mouth slightly agape.

“YOU CALLED ME OUT FOR THAT?! YOU FREAKING CALLED ME OUT FOR THAT?! I THOUGHT MY SISTER WAS IN DANGER, YOU IDIOT!”

The male nurse behind the information counter cowered down as Jessica screamed bloody murderer at Taeyeon who stood rooted on his spot. Not knowing what to do. He saw Jessica approach him with the same murderous glare and he brought his arms in front of his face, hoping to shield himself from the attack. The plastic bag on his hand then slipped accidentally; its contents scattered on the floor.

Jessica eyed the juice on the floor. It looked like it was freshly made from some unfamiliar café. But the flavor label made her more furious.

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW? BECAUSE THIS IS NOT FUNNY! ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?! I AM ALLERGIC TO MELONS!”

She pushed Taeyeon out of the hospital and the poor guy just let the fuming girl do as she wish. He was loss for words. What did he do wrong? He just wanted to make a better first impression. Didn’t Krystal say Jessica likes melon juice?

“Get out and don’t ever show your face to me again!”

And with that, Jessica stomped her way back inside the hospital.

Well, way to make a better first impression.

Taeyeon walked down the street with slumped shoulders. Was Krystal playing tricks on him? He then furiously took his phone from his pocket to dial Krystal’s number.

“Hello?”

“Yah! She said she’s allergic to melons! And she hates me for coming because she thought it was an emergency!”

“Aw, Coach Kim, are you giving up already? My sister is just testing you.”

“A-are you s-sure? But she seemed really angry a while ago. She even pushed me out of the hospital.”

“I am sure. Who else knows my sister better than me? I got this, okay? I have a plan for tomorrow. You’ll love it.”

Taeyeon hesitated before saying, “O-okay. Just make sure this time it works.”

“Of course! Hey, I have to go now. Bye coach!”

Before he could even answer, the younger girl had already ended the call.

“Aish!” He shouts as he kicks a lone pebble on the ground. He looked back to the tall medical building and then to his wristwatch. Deciding that the night was still young, Taeyeon strode back to the hospital.

“Hey,” he said, knocking on the information counter. The male nurse looked at him surprisingly.

“What are you doing back here?” The male nurse whispered as if he was afraid someone would hear.

Taeyeon furrowed his brows before whispering back, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong,” the male nurse whispered again.

“Then why are we whispering?”

The male nurse then cleared his throat.

“Oh, right. Anyway, what are you doing here?” he said in his normal voice.

“Well, I was just wondering what time Jessica’s shift will end?”

The male nurse looked around him first. “Can’t tell you. Sorry, bro.”

“Really? Why?”

“Uh, because it’s private? And nurse Jung’s life might be in danger? For all I know you’re some crazy stalker.”

“But I’m not!” Taeyeon whined.

“Did you just whine? Oh my god, how old are you, ten?” The male nurse laughed.

“Yah! I’m twenty-five!”

“Oh yeah? I bet you’re some high school kid who fancies nurse Jung.”

“Yah! I am not! I’m an instructor in Seoul High School!”

The male nurse looked at him skeptically before sighing.

“Whatever, bro. I don’t really have time to play pretend with you right now. But yeah, I can’t give you that detail.”

Taeyeon groaned and tapped his forehead against the granite counter lightly. His patience is running low.

“But..” Taeyeon snapped his head up as the male nurse spoke. The latter looked around again before beckoning him to lean closer. He did as told and the male nurse whispered in his ears, “You might want to bring her dinner since she’ll be here for a while.”

Taeyeon grinned and nodded.

“Buy from the nearest café and nothing spicy, okay?”

Taeyeon nodded again with the grin still plastered on his face.

“I’m Taeyeon Kim,” he said and extended a hand towards the male nurse.

“It’s Eli. Eli Kim.”

Taeyeon then excused himself to run to the nearest café and bought Jessica’s dinner.

He came back after a while and left the food to Eli.

“Thanks, bro.” He said before strolling out of the hospital again with a smile plastered on his face.

**

“Nurse Jung, dinner for you.”

The head nurse turned to look at her fellow Korean-American nurse with questioning looks.

“Someone left it for you.” He added.

“Throw it away. Who knows what’s in that food.”

Eli pouted before peeking at the containers, “But it’s just salad and pasta. I don’t think there’s poison in here.”

“Eli, I said throw it away.”

“B-but nurse Jung..”

“Who left that, anyway?” A short nurse spoke as she move closer to Eli.

“You don’t know him, Sunny.” He answered, trying to hide the plastic bag from Sunny.

“If nurse Jung don’t want it, then I would be more than happy to eat that since I’m starving.” Sunny replied, moving closer to Eli.

“Who left that?” Jessica’s voice made Sunny stop in her tracks and Eli sighed in relief before moving to Jessica’s side, avoiding Sunny in the process.

“Taeyeon Kim,” he grinned as he extended the plastic bag to Jessica.

“Who?” Sunny asked as she too, moved closer to the other nurses in the staffroom.

“None of your business,” Eli hissed.

“He said he was sorry nurse Jung. And here..” Eli took a folded paper from his uniform’s pocket and gave it to Jessica which the latter hesitantly accepted.

 

Hey Jessica, sorry for what happened today. I hope you’re not mad anymore. Don’t skip your dinner. And oh, take care! I hope to see you soon.

P.S. Don’t worry about Krystal being in gym class, I’ll take care of her.

 

–Taeyeon Kim

 

 

--------

A/N: Hey guys! Uhm, I know I said I won't be updating this until weekend but I can't sleep and was itching to write, so this was the result. Lol :D And for my Kiss Me readers, sorry for not updating yet. I'll update on Friday :)

 

AND I STILL CAN'T SLEEP.