Chapter 04

Shot Down

 

4/
 
"Where are the others ? Asked Jihoon twenty minutes after coming back home where Kyung was already. 
 
- I don’t know. Answered the older boy, shrugging and focusing on the show he was watching. 
 
- And our manager ? 
 
- I said I don’t know." Jihoon glared with an annoyed pout, hating to be snapped at like this.
 
He ignored it though and went in the kitchen where he grabbed some cookies and juice; going in the living room then to sat beside Kyung and watch TV with him. 
 
"Taeil said he’ll be back around seven. He announced randomly, shoving some cookie in his mouth. 
 
- Hum. Answered an uninterested Kyung, reaching for a cookie too; but Jihoon glared at him and slapped his hand. What the hell man ? He snapped, looking at his younger eventually. 
 
- If you’re too good to even listen to me then you can’t have my cookies. He answered childishly with his rough voice; Kyung blinking stupidly at the statement. 
 
- What ? Come on Ji, I was just focused on the show. You know how annoying it is when you miss some information. Jihoon stared, still pouting, then glanced at the TV then back at his elder.
 
- It’s a romcom. What’s so important to know about it you couldn’t even listen to me ? 
 
- I… Kyung had no immediate answer. Fine. He sighed eventually. I’m sorry. Jihoon stared some more then smiled. So, what were you saying ? The younger boy smiled even more and let Kyung take a cookie this time.
 
- I was saying Taeil won’t be back before seven. Do you think Yukwon will be back before him ? 
 
- I don’t know. Why do you care anyway, he’s not your boyfriend. 
 
- He’s a good cooker, and I’m hungry. Kyung rolled his eyes and grabbed another cookie. 
 
- Why don’t you call him and ask him ? Jihoon’s face lightened and he stood up. At least you’ll stop annoying the outta me…" Mumbled the older boy as the younger one stepped away.
 
Yukwon's phone rang a couple of times before the call was eventually picked. 
 
"Hey Yu, it's me, Jihoon. 
 
- I know. The voice was strangely hollow.
 
- Are you okay Yukwon ? He heard some weird noises on the other side, then Minhyuk's voice echoed in his ear.
 
- Jihoon, it's Minhyuk. 
 
- Minhyuk ? What's going on, is Yukwon alright ? A silence followed, making Jihoon's confusion and anxiety grow. 
 
- Ji, something happened. The younger boy gasped silently, a lump now in his throat as every scenarios formed in his mind. Are you home ? 
 
- Huh, hum… yeah. He did not know where his voice was gone, but he could not mind as Minhyuk's words and solemn tone kept echoing in his mind.
 
- Are you watching TV ?
 
- Hum, Kyung's watching a drama. 
 
- Switch on the news ! The order was so sharp and clear that Jihoon did not hesitate and walked to the couch to grab the remote; ignoring Kyung's violent reaction when he switched channel. 
 
- What the man ? Arose his elder's voice, but he could not hear it as he tried to focus on the news displaying some worrisome images about some kind of hostage situation. 
 
- What is it Minhyuk ? He asked shakily, feeling himself paled at the information showed on TV. Are you guys alright ? 
 
- Something happened Ji… something really bad." 
 
At these words Jihoon was sure he became whiter than a ghost, Kyung's voice suddenly a muffled distant noise he could not hear as the only sentence replaying in his mind was Minhyuk's last words. 
 
X_x_x_X  
 
             Yukwon was wiping his remaining tears five minutes after Minhyuk hang up with Jihoon. His friend fortunately managed to hold back their younger at the dorm, and they then would not have to worry about other Block B members showing up. 
 
It was horrible enough like that, and the only thing he wanted was for this nightmare to be over. 
 
Their manager was back in the van five more minutes later, the door he slammed loudly informing them he was irritated and something bad had happened, again. 
 
"What is it ? Asked Minhyuk, daring talking to their annoyed elder who growled and hit the wheel before taking a breath and calming down a bit.
 
- I tried to ask some information about what was going on inside… they made me wait an eternity to finally tell me I had to move away and let them work. His voice was almost a groan, and Yukwon on a breath; his panic crawling back on him. 
 
- What are you doing ? Snapped the younger boy in the van, surprised when their manager started the vehicle.
 
- I'm driving you home. It's not safe here and we can't take anymore risks.
 
- But…" Their manager glared at him over his shoulder, shutting him up effectively.
 
Minhyuk wanted to say something, anything to calm Yukwon and appease the tension surrounding the three of them, but he found nothing to say and could just squeeze his younger's hand gently as support and comfort. 
 
Yukwon stared at him when he offered a small smile, the tears in the younger boy's eyes telling him how an emotional wreck Yukwon actually was right now. 
 
"It'll be alright. He whispered softly, squeezing the hand under his some more. 
 
- How can you know ? Snapped back his younger, jerking his hand away to glare out the window and ignore him. You're not in there with them… maybe they're already dead… 
 
- Yukwon ! Snapped their manager, startling them both. That's enough." He added, his voice harsh and serious.  
 
Yukwon glared at their elder's back, words at the tip of his tongues he swallowed back before looking away through the window. 
 
He had no saying in the matter, and he knew it; even if it hurts to admit it. 
 
He knew he did not have a choice and could just go back at the dorm with Minhyuk. 
 
X_x_x_X  
 
It was the third time he was waking up at this place with this same girl's face above him. 
 
He tried to remember what could have happen previously and then winced at the memory. 
 
"Are you okay ? Whispered SooAe, brushing his sweaty bangs away from his forehead; worry showing on her face. 
 
- Hurts… He growled out, eventually giving up the idea to appease his numbed leg; he just could not move. 
 
- Here, have some water. A bottle was pressed at his lips and he could not help frown a second, gulping greedily this so wanted water then. Easy, easy… She smiled softly, speaking in a whisper. 
 
- Where's Jae…? He asked once hydrated and feeling a lot less lightheaded. 
 
- He's just there… helping. She answered, her face twisting in some expression he could not discern. 
 
- Helping ? He repeated in a frown. 
 
- Yeah. She cleared and added. With the bodies. They started smelling."
 
Jiho needed a few seconds to analyze then understand the words, but when he did he felt sick in his stomach and could not help widen his eyes in horror.
 
"It's okay Jiho… don't worry, he'll be back in a sec. She soothed him, his labored breath steadying slowly. 
 
- Where… where are they taking them ? He asked, trying to look around but saw nothing much excepted a few gunmen. 
 
- In the back. They ordered to everyone to help. Even this young girl… Sooyeon. She's so terrified. Jiho saw the pain on her face and felt bad a moment; until the pain in his side sent his mind away. Are you okay ? She worried immediately, her small hand on his forehead once again.
 
- Hurts… it's okay. He managed through gritted teeth then; failing the smile he tried to put on his lips though. Say, how old are you ? 
 
- Twenty six, I was born in eighty-eight. She answered with a small smile. And you ? 
 
- I'm a ninety-two. 
 
- You're so much younger than me. She chuckled softly, hiding with a hand; which made Jiho smile softly. 
 
- Not from so much… I have friends older than that. She smiled at him. Do you have children ? The question surprised her. You're so caring… I was wondering if you had children or something. He explained, feeling a bit nervous for no particular reason.
 
- It's okay. She chuckled back. I'm not married. I'm just taking care of other's children yet. But one day… She finished, a sad smile on her lips as she looked away. 
 
- You'll be alright." He assured her, his voice husky and low. 
 
They stared at each other for a moment before Wednesday, Monday and Friday came back with the hostages. 
 
Some where shaking after what they were forced to do, others looking deathly pale or at the verge of passing out. Sooyeon crying silently on her way back on the floor. 
 
Jaehyo sat beside them without a word, his gaze hollowed and distant as his hands shook lightly in certain shock and fear. 
 
"Are you alright ? Whispered SooAe before Jiho had to say anything; her gentle hand on Jae's forearm, catching his attention then. 
 
- You're awake. He smiled back when his gaze fell on Jiho staring back at him with concern. 
 
- Are you okay ? Asked the younger boy.
 
- Don't worry about me, I'm fine. He whispered back, a small smile on his lips. What about you ? Are you feeling okay ? Jiho stared a moment before answering.
 
- I'm good yet." Jaehyo nodded before silence fell between them; the place now quiet and oppressing. 
 
 
Minutes were long in such situation. 
 
All they could do was sit and wait for something to happen. Either these men would kill them or make a deal with the police and release them. 
 
None of the hostages want to speak their real mind and were all assuring to each other in short low whispers everything would be alright. But deep down they could not help think the only way for them to escape this situation was with a bullet in the head. 
 
Everyone was thinking about the worse after so much time spent in here with these killers ready to shoot at anyone. 
 
Their motivation was still unknown to the hostages, the only information they had being they apparently wanted some people out. Who ? They did not know, and why even less. The hostages could only presume the worse for them as it was mostly unlikely the police would release whoever these people wanted.
 
It was never happening like this in movies and they had no super hero with them to save the day. 
 
So they were all preparing mentally for their coming near death. It was not like they had anything else to do anyway. 
 
 
"What are they doing ? Growled Saturday when he stopped beside Monday lost in his thoughts. 
 
- I don't know. He answered after gazing up at his second in command. 
 
- Do you think they're playing us ? The leader thought about it a second. 
 
- If they're not taking us seriously we'll have to show them." He said as he focused on the hostages, stalking towards them the next second. 
 
The people tensed in fear at the leader's approach, terror shining in their eyes. 
 
"Thursday ! He called once facing the hostages, and the idol expert scurried to Monday's side. Prepare the material !" The man nodded with smiling eyes then scurried away and grabbed a bag before disappearing in one of the back rooms.  
 
The leader watched the hostages attentively, his gaze passing on Sooyeon clinging on Minsu in fear, her frail form shivering under the man's attention. But he switched it to TaeHo sitting as confidently and unaffected as possible, his gaze on the floor though as sign of submission. 
 
Monday ignored him to look at the older man of the group, the poor guy a sweating mess and dehydrated as he failed satisfying Wednesday earlier in his sick game. Not far from him was sitting a lady in her forties who refused to play the gunman's game and ended up with a smack in the face. No one knew her name. 
 
Monday looked at SooAe sitting beside Jaehyo who had Jiho's head on his lap, the blond boy once again unconscious. The leader snickered when he met SooAe's gaze, the girl staring up at him with hatred, which made Jaehyo send her worried looks she ignored. 
 
This girl definitely had some spine, unfortunately for her.
 
Taking an overview at the hostages then he contemplated how using them and in which way. He knew what he would do, had a plan to pressure the cops, but he had to choose wisely if he wanted to keep the best leverages until the end. 
 
Sharing a look with Saturday, he nodded and looked back at the hostages as his second in command stepped to the other gunmen to whisper orders. 
 
"Listen here ! Began the leader, every gazes on him the next second. We're going to move in a room. Everything will be alright if you just go along and don't try anything stupid. Am I clear ? People nodded but he hardened his gaze. I said am I clear ? 
 
- Yes.
 
- Yes…
 
- Yes ! Arose the hostages' scared voices, worried eyes staring at him without a blink, and he smirked.
 
- Good. So get up and follow Saturday quietly and nicely. 
 
- Yes sir…" Whispered some voices before the hostages began pushing themselves on their feet, body stiff and shoulders slouched in submission. 
 
Jaehyo and SooAe shared a look, wondering what they were supposed to do with Jiho. They were not sure if he was unconscious or just resting as none of them noticed when he actually was out again.
 
They did not have to think for long that Wednesday was in front of them with a smirk on his lips.
 
"Get him up ! He ordered with a movement of his rifle, which scared them. 
 
- Jiho !" Whispered Jaehyo as he shook him by the shoulder before grabbing his arm to help him on his feet. SooAe's doing the same with their younger's left arm.
 
His younger cried out in pain at the sudden movement, his body heavy and stiff as they tried to pull him up on his feet. 
 
"Jiho ! Called a frightened Jaehyo, trying to keep his grip on him as he went heavier when he tensed furiously. It's okay, just stand up… Jiho gritted his teeth, letting SooAe and Jaehyo pull him up as he tried to help them in the process as much as he could. It's okay… Whispered Jaehyo at the pained hiss he heard, Jiho's arms now around his and SooAe's shoulders. 
 
- Jae…? There was pained panic in his voice, and Jaehyo felt so horrible to inflict this to him; but he did not have a choice.
 
- It's okay Ji." He breathed back, hoping his words would appease him at least a little.
 
Jiho gasped in agony some more as they slowly made their way after the other hostages, Wednesday following them closely as Monday did the same somewhere behind them. 
 
Jiho was breathing loudly and heavily when they entered the wanted room where Thursday was sitting at a large table with a computer in front of him and an unbelievable amount of material around him. Jaehyo did not know half of the stuffs he had put on the floor, table and chairs. There was just too much things. 
 
He did recognize a camera though as he stepped passed it to stop at the wall facing it. The other hostages lining on his left. 
 
"Jae… Jiho's gasp was heard in the room as his body began shaking against him, his legs giving up under him which made SooAe and Jaehyo follow him sharply on the floor. Their grip on him fortunately breaking the fall. 
 
- It's okay Ji… He breathed, caressing some sweaty blond bangs away from his younger's face. It's okay…
 
- What's going on…? He heard, Jiho's voice only an husky gasp. Jaehyo was about to answer but Monday slamming the door startled him and shut him up. 
 
- Well. Said the man, watching the lined hostages in front of the large table in a reunion room. It's all set up ? He asked, glancing at Thursday who tapped something on his computer for several seconds before looking at the leader with a nod.
 
- Yep. It's all good. 
 
- Great. Grinned Monday before staring back at the hostages. Listen here ! The police's not taking us seriously… even if I'm sure they already know about those dead people next room. The hostages tensed, disgust and fear passing on their faces. But it doesn't seem to be enough to make them hurry up a bit and put this to an end. Monday stepped forward, his hands in his back and his chin raised proudly. So we doesn't have any other choice than show them what's happening when we're taken too lightly and not listened to." He snapped his fingers and Thursday
began tapping on his laptop.
 
The leader stepped in front of the camera and waited as Wednesday adjusted the angle before giving an okay nod. Thursday making a hand sign too as confirmation everything was ready. 
 
X_x_x_X  
 
Detective in charge Kang SeungTae was over stressed by the hostage situation he found himself into. 
 
It was not something common here in Korea, and even if they were roughly trained by the passed, he never really had to use the learned method before. The only case he could remember was this one about a father taking hostage his wife and daughter in his apartment six years ago. 
 
He had killed the dog with his knife and threw it by the window, alerting the police's forces after the daughter had screamed in horror. He then had claimed he would kill his family if the police was not leaving.
 
SeungTae was always remembering this case when family was involved then, as it did not end the best of the way. 
 
The father was killed after he had stabbed his wife in the stomach and threw their eight year old daughter by the window. The poor girl was now in a vegetative state while his mother was sent in a mental hospital after the tragedy, her mind not strong enough to overcome what had happened. 
 
SeungTae hated remembering this case, but it was haunting him and he could not help relate to it as he was trying to find a way to save the people inside this building. 
 
He already knew people were dead from what the lucky survivors had said. They were all saying the same thing "people were running from everywhere and shot down". They all had mentioned the shot people, and SeungTae could only fear the outcome of such situation. 
 
Usually criminals were attacking banks, or shops; not administrative buildings. There was no money in here for them, and SeungTae had wondered at first what all this was about.
 
Until the leader, Monday, eventually answered and made his request clear.
 
He wanted the Kim brothers out. 
 
Those three men were arrested three months ago for an unbelievable amount of charges. Robbery, assault, murder, terrorism, embezzlement, hacking and some other minor things he could not remember here. But the point was those brothers were criminals, dangerous criminals they could not release in society, no matter what these people were doing in here. 
 
They just could not, it would do more harm than good in the end and he did not want to be responsible of this. 
 
But Monday refused any other deal he tried to propose to him, stubbornly stating he wanted the Kim brothers out or he would give the hostages back in pieces. 
 
He was not sure if this man was serious about such threat, and even if he did not want to find out he could just wait yet until the SWAT had a plan of action. Which they still did not have for now, annoying SeungTae utterly. 
 
Too many hours had passed already, and even him as a not trained agent for hostage's situation knew it was never good to prolong this so much. They needed a plan and they needed one soon, not in two more hours when half of the hostages would be dead. If not all. 
 
"Chief ! Called a sudden voice, snapping him fully back to reality. 
 
- What is it Daehyun ? He said, stepping to the younger positioned near the technical team. 
 
- You need to see this. He answered, his wide eyes staring at a screen.
 
- What is it… What the hell ? He snapped at what he saw. What are they doing ? 
 
- It's live." Commented the man sitting in front of the monitor.
 
SeungTae watched the masked man on which the camera was zoomed on, filling the whole screen. His dark eyes dangerous and frightening. Something was off about this man, and not only because of what he did today, something a lot more worrying was showing in his gaze.
 
"Hello Detective, I am Monday. I presume you remember me as we talked a couple of times over the phone earlier. I remember reaching an accord though, but I'm still waiting for acceptable progress on your side. SeungTae gritted his teeth in anger. I do know for sure as I myself ordered to let this happen, that people escaped this building before we locked it. I'm sure you already interrogate them, and I'm sure too they told you about those people we didn't hesitate to kill. So I'm wondering… The man paused a second. Are you taking me seriously or are you just trying to play me until your little SWAT team finds a plan not too suicidal to save a couple of people ?"
 
SeungTae tensed, because this Monday was freaking right, and he hated the fact he could be so clever. Was he an accustomed of such procedure ? Was it not his first hostage situation ? But more importantly, who was this guy ? 
 
He did not know him nor his crew and his team had found nothing about similar activities over the fifteen years.
 
This guy just appeared out of nowhere to ask for the Kim's release. 
 
It had no sense. 
 
"But let me tell you Detective… SeungTae heard the grin in the man's voice. There is no way inside the building. I made sure of it. And even if your little team was finding one… the hostages would be all dead before they'll have a chance to see them." 
 
The camera slowly zoomed away from the masked face, revealing covered windows behind him under which people were sitting in fear. 
 
The hostages. 
 
SeungTae's eyes widened at the sight, as his team's, as none of them had seen these people so far. There was a terrified young girl pressed against a woman on the left. An old man and a woman with her lip cut sitting beside them. 
 
"Let me show you something…" Resumed Monday, his body hiding apparently a few more people as SeungTae could remember the man had claimed having eight hostages. 
 
There was different scared protests heard in the speakers, a clear cry of pain raising as Monday grabbed someone and dragged them at his side. 
 
The five officers watching had their gazes locked on what was going on, a young blond boy on the floor catching their attention quickly when he appeared on the monitor. They all noticed the blood on his brown shirt, his hair dotted by carmine here and there, as his hands, arms and face. 
 
"This boy's shot." Arose Monday's voice once again, the man forcing the boy on his feet with an arm around his throat.
 
They all saw the pain on the boy's face, as the way he bit on his lip and tried hard to not scream. But the man's grip on him seemed painful as the way he pulled up his shirt to reveal a bandage tainted with blood. The boy's stomach heaving up and down quickly. 
 
"I was clement enough to keep him alive till there, but as you already know I'm sure, he won't last forever in such state. So if you don't want to have his death on your hands, as the other hostage's one… then I advise you to do what I asked and get over with this situation." He finished, his voice low and dangerous on the last words. 
 
X_x_x_X  
 
             Jiho could only stare at the camera lens in desperate agony, the man's grip on him making it hard to breath and pulling on his wound horribly; nausea making him sick in his stomach. 
 
But the man ignored his suffers and just kept talking, saying things his ears heard but his brain forgot the next second. He was in too much pain to care about whatever he had to say and his focus was fully on his breathing. His restricted throat making him lightheaded already. 
 
Cold sweat covering his face and body. He was feeling so bad and sick. 
 
"I don't know if you recognized this boy, but from what I know he's an idol… and I'm sure people would hate to hear you let a poor innocent idol die like this." 
 
Jiho tried to pull on the arm around his throat but he failed, the man even tightening his grip on him at his attempt; which made him whimper in pain. 
 
"And so you know, I don't have one… but two idols. But if even this' not enough to motivate you then maybe this will."
 
Jiho dropped on the floor as soon as Monday released him, the world spinning around him as blood thumbed in his ears and made him sick. Numbness growing over his shivering weak body. 
 
"NO !" He heard behind him, but did not have enough awareness to care or worry about it, his only concern being to pass out to eventually get ride of this sick feeling assaulting him. 
 
He heard some noises he could not place, but then there was a gun shot and he howled in pain; crashing on the floor in agony. 


OMG What happened ???

lol.

A little Christmas present for you ^^ 

Hope you liked it.

Please, don't hesitate to leave your thoughts in the comments and/or subscribe and/or upvote

See you ^^