Chapter 03

Shot Down

 

3/

 

             Jiho was unconscious when Jaehyo eventually dropped back at his sides, pulling him closer to him to his sweaty hair and call his name softly; trying to wake him up; but failed. 

SooAe sitting next to him put a gentle hand on his arm and offered a small smile.
 
"He won’t wake up. He’s in shock and lost a lot of blood. 
 
- Is he… is he alright ? She pursed her lips.
 
- I can’t say for sure… without any medical care I’m not sure how he’ll manage. 
 
- But if… if you could take care of him now, will he be alright ? She looked up at him and stared.
 
- There’s good chances for, yes. She answered, and Jaehyo did not need more.
 
- Excuse me ! He called for the leader, the gunmen’s attention falling on him.
 
- What are you doing ? She panicked, grabbing his arm and trying to put it down, but he refused.
 
- Excuse me, leader man ! SooAe froze when the called man arrived and glared at them.
 
- Do you have a death wish or are you just stupid ?" Snapped the man once in front of them. 
 
Swallowing thickly, Jaehyo needed a second to gather his courage and talk.
 
"Hum, can I ask you something ? He dared eventually, the man sharing an incredulous look with his men. 
 
- Why not. He answered eventually, grinning down at him. What is it pretty boy ? Jaehyo his lips and glanced down at the unconscious Jiho in his arms.
 
- Hum, it’s about… 
 
- Don’t say more ! Stopped him the man, a hand held out. You want your little friend out, don’t you ? Jaehyo’s eyes widened as he never thought about this; he was not that naïve.
 
- What ? No ! I just… He glanced at SooAe. Please, he needs medical care and she can help him. He said, nodding towards her. 
 
- What do you want boy ? 
 
- Let her take care of him. There’s certainly some first aid kit around… The leader snorted.
 
- No way pretty boy. I won’t risk it.
 
- But…
 
- Please ! Interfered SooAe, again, the man putting an interested look on her. Just let me take care of him. It won’t be long, but he needs help. 
 
- You think I’m stupid ? He hissed back, taking a threatening step closer to her, making her tense. 
 
- I never said that…
 
- Why are you refusing ? Said Jaehyo, butting in then. He just needs a couple of bandages and some sanitizer…"
 
The leader glared at him for a moment then stepped closer, grabbing his collar the next second. 
 
"You try anything funny and it’s not bandages he'll need, but a body bag. Jaehyo’s eyes widened in horror before he nodded. Tuesday ! He called then, the man searching Jaehyo earlier stepping closer. Get me some first aid kit ! The man nodded and disappeared. Wednesday ! He called then, snorting man stepping to him. You watch them… and if they try anything funny you shoot this boy !" He ordered, pointing at Jiho’s unconscious form; and Wednesday nodded happily then walked to them.
 
 
Jaehyo watched silently as SooAe worked on Jiho. 
 
He watched as she rolled up his bloody shirt and revealed the bullet wound. He watched as she took a look at it and bit her lip, sending a concerned look at Jiho before getting to work. He watched her grab everything she needed and work on his friend, cleaning him and treating the wound. 
 
Her gestures were so gentle and careful, Jiho’s motionless body under her hands making his mind blank. 
 
He could not help fear his younger could be dying, and it was making him feel so powerless.
 
Silence was the master words in the building, and it was deafening in Jaehyo’s ears; his focus on Jiho so hard that the quietness surrounding felt maddening for him. 
 
"I’m done. She said once the bandages done and the blood’s flow eventually stopped. 
 
- Will he be alright ? He asked looking up at her, and she offered a small smile. 
 
- He should be. But he lost a lot of blood… he’s weak and needs to rest until better options. 
 
- Will he wake up ? She glanced down at Jiho and touched his face, brushing some bangs away from his eyes then. 
 
- Maybe. But he’s better unconscious right now…" She added, sending a look around, Jaehyo doing the same and finding himself think the same.
 
Jiho was better out in such situation, at least he did not have to deal with the fear and pain and perspective of dying. 
 
X_x_x_X  
         
Once the police's quick interrogation done, Yukwon was quiet for the all hour passed. 
 
Minhyuk tried to talk to him and comfort him, but nothing worked and his younger just stared at the closed doors of the building. 
 
None of them knew what the situation was inside. They did not know if their friends were alive either, and the fear inside them was indescribable. Everything was such a blur, and the agitation around them was only some background noises they could not care about. 
 
Because Jayhyo and Jiho were in there and they did not know if they were alive or not, hurt or not. How was Jiho ? Was he dead ? He was shot after all, maybe he bled to death and was already gone. 
 
Feeling a wave of overwhelming panic at the thought, Minhyuk forced his mind somewhere else and tried to focus on something less frightening than the building’s doors. 
 
"Manager ? He called, surprised to see the man in the crowd looking around wildly and furiously, certainly for them. 
 
- Minhyuk ? Snapped back the man, pushing his way through the policemen to them. Let me through ! He hissed before pushing the men away. Minhyuk ! Are you okay ? He asked once at his sides. What about Yukwon ? He added, his gaze falling on the younger motionless boy. Yukwon, are you alright ? He called, grabbing his younger’s arm to turn him around, but Yukwon jerked away from the grip violently and kept staring at the building. What’s wrong with him ? He asked, shocked and confused. 
 
- Jaehyo and Jiho are inside. He answered, their manager’s expression becoming horrified. Jiho was shot. 
 
- What ? Minhyuk understood his elder’s speechless reaction, as he still could not believe himself something like that was happening. 
 
- We don’t know if they’re alright, and nobody said a thing…" He explained, his voice becoming a whisper as desperation crawled over him. 
 
Their manager’s face hardened as he thought and looked around, his gaze falling on the boys then. 
 
"Go in my car Minhyuk ! He began, the boy’s head snapping up. We can’t have fans all over the place because Block B’s here. Minhyuk nodded as understanding. I’ll talk to the police… Sharing a look with his manager, Minhyuk turned to Yukwon then and hesitantly grabbed his shoulder.
 
- Yukwon. He called softly but his younger ignored him. Come with me, we can’t stay here. Yukwon shrugged his hand away with force but did not say a word. Yukwon ! He called louder, grabbing him harder. We can’t stay here ! Come on, we have to go in the car. 
 
- Don’t touch me !" He snapped back, glaring at Minhyuk then, which shocked him greatly. 
 
Yukwon was never one to get upset at others, or if he was he was not showing it. 
 
"I can’t leave them. He added, staring back at the building.
 
- You can’t do anything, Yu. 
 
- I’ll wait for them. He answered lowly, Minhyuk staring at his back with a concerned, sad look. 
 
- Yu. He called softly, daring a gentle hand on his younger’s shoulder. Our manager’s here, he’s gonna take care of this. But we have to go in the car in the meantime. 
 
- I want to stay here. 
 
- It won’t be of any help. He answered softly, seeing the tears in Yukwon’s eyes at such words. 
 
- He was just behind me… He began, his voice cracking. He told me to run, and I thought he was behind me… 
 
- It’s not your fault Yu. He comforted, taking his younger’s hand in his. Come on, let’s go in the car. 
 
- It should've be me. Minhyuk froze at the words. He pushed me away and told me to run… but it should've be me. If he hadn’t thought about me first, I would’ve been the one inside.
 
- Yu ! He snapped, grabbing his younger’s shoulder to turn him around, surprise passing on Yukwon’s face. Stop saying nonsense ! It’s not your fault and I’m sure Jiho had no intention to take a bullet for you. He was just trying to get the both of you out.
 
- But if he had…
 
- It happened. Now you can’t do anything about it… and standing there staring at the doors won’t change a thing. Hurt passed on his younger’s face, but he ignored it. Our manager said we should go in his car to avoid a ruckus with potential fans. He’ll take care of everything here, okay ? Yukwon did not answer immediately then nodded. Come on then." He smiled, taking his younger’s hand in his to lead him through the crowd and to the car then. 
 
X_x_x_X  
 
               The situation was unchanged, and the gunmen, now known under week’s days, were still here watching there hostages and doing nothing. 
 
The leader, now known as Monday, had ignored every phone calls till there; which made Jaehyo, and certainly everyone else wonder what the man was playing at.
 
If he was not answering to the police, then he had no request; and then, if he had no request, why was he here ? What was he doing here killing people and holding some hostages ? Why this bunch of seven men were here if not for money or something like that ? 
 
Would they just kill everyone for their own sick pleasure ? 
 
The thought made Jaehyo shiver, another phone call startling him so much that SooAe’s worried gaze fell on him. Staring a second, she squeezed his arm gently as reassurance thereafter. 
 
They heard the phone rang two, three then four times; everyone waiting for the phone to die down. But Monday suddenly did something unexpected; he answered. 
 
The hostages held their breaths as finally something was happening, their near liberation being their sudden new hope. 
 
Monday talked over the phone in a voice too low for them to understand, and all the ears were focused on the man’s conversation, praying for something good to happen for them. 
 
"Get them out and then we’ll talk !" Shouted Monday all of a sudden, startling more than one hostage, Jaehyo included. 
 
Hanging up the phone violently, Jaehyo could only fear the man’s wrath. 
 
"Everything okay ? Asked the man who had almost shoot Jiho dead earlier, Saturday, before Monday sighed and offered him a grin. 
 
- Yeah, all’s going as planned." He answered, and his men grinned in satisfaction for the hostages greatest confusion.
 
This man was definitely bipolar or something, because Jaehyo was sure he was pissed off by the phone call just a second ago. 
 
Everything becoming quiet after that; the hostages forgot about the leader’s mood swings as their own perilous situation came back to haunt them. 
 
The fear, the helplessness, this almost certain death awaiting them. Everything was so ed up and these corpses laying in their blood around the place were not helping the already horrifying situation. 
 
 
More hours passed, and Jiho was still unconscious, his head on Jaehyo’s lap. 
 
At least he was not bleeding on the floor anymore, and his wound was not so worrisome anymore either. Jaehyo was almost a bit less tensed knowing this. 
 
The phone rang again, and unlike the two previous times, Monday ignored it. Jaehyo did not know if it was to play with the police’s nerves or because he simply had nothing to talk about with them; but he prayed it was not meaning he would kill them all soon.
 
If only they knew what was going on. At least they would not be so scared of every little things these men were doing. 
 
            "Yes ? Answered Monday almost an hour later. No ! I said no ! You know what I want… it’s not my problem… Yes. I have eight hostages, and enough time to give them back in pieces if you don’t get them out… Fine !" And he hang up roughly, Jaehyo feeling like if he had had the interlocutor in front of him he would have punched him. 
 
Everything was calm again after that, boredom visibly growing on some gunmen.
 
Jaehyo could understand, there was not much to do here and watching motionless frightened people was not the most entertaining thing in the world. 
 
"Someone’s thirsty ?" Asked a voice then, Wednesday coming back from the back of the place with water bottles in hands and a grin on his lips. 
 
Some hostages their lips at the sight, being beyond thirsty after so much hours passed; but they were all scared to move or answer; the man’s expression nothing reassuring either. 
 
"So, no one ? He asked, showing the bottles in his hands. 
 
- Don’t ! Snapped Jaehyo in a whisper, stopping SooAe from raising her hand; and she looked at him.
 
- We need water. She whispered back, pulling on her wrist.
 
- We can’t trust him. 
 
- And we don’t have a choice. Your friend needs water… Jaehyo’s gaze fell on Jiho’s sweaty face before he released her; because she was right.
 
- Please ! She raised her hand, Wednesday’s eyes falling on her before he grinned widely. 
 
- Oh, miss Lee SooAe… I should've expect it. He added, throwing a bottle at her then; and she caught it in surprise, expecting as everyone else some twisted trick from the man. See ? He said, looking at the hostages. It was as simple as that. He added, putting the bottles on a counter. Now you’ll have to earn it." He said, leaning on the marble surface with a smirk. 
 
Scared looks were shared between the hostages, low whispers echoing around; but no one dared moving or speaking. 
 
"So… Who wants to go first ? He asked, getting comfortable against the counter. You ! He pointed to the teenage girl who shivered hard in fear. Show me what you’ve got." He added, grinning.
 
The girl tensed and looked around in panic, shaking on the floor as tears built up in her eyes. 
 
"Come on ! Bounced Wednesday’s voice, making her jump. I’m sure you know how it works, you’ve seen variety shows ? He waited for an answer, and when the girl noticed that she nodded. Then get up and show me your special talent." He said, grinning. 
 
Jaehyo shared a look with SooAe, the older girl feeling as helpless and sorry as him. But they could not do anything. 
 
"Name, age and occupation ? Asked Wednesday once the girl on her feet, in front of the little group of hostages, her body shivering. 
 
- Min… Min Sooyeon. She answered, keeping her head down. I’m thirteen years old and I’m in middle school. The man nodded with a grin and then motioned for her to continue. I… I don’t have any talent... She added in a small voice, the man rolling his eyes.
 
- Come on, you’re no fun. Just do something, like on TV ! 
 
- I’m… She hiccupped, then cried. 
 
- For sake… He hissed in annoyance. Just off before I kill you ! He snapped thereafter, Sooyeon hurrying back at her place on the floor where the woman fan of Block B tried to comfort her quietly. You ! He pointed to a man in his thirties, his black suit since a long time ruined and uncompleted. Name, age and occupation ? He repeated, his voice a bit bored. 
 
- Kim TaeHo, thirty-four years and I’m the assistant manager here. Wednesday’s eyes lightened up before a grin formed on his lips. 
 
- Oh really ? Then go on assistant manager, show us what you’ve got." The man shivered and sent a quick look around, nervous and scared as ever. 
 
No one was expecting to hear him sing, and even less how good he was. His voice trembled at some point because of the situation he was in; but beside that he was a great singer. 
 
Jaehyo wondered why he was working here then, but quickly forgot such thought. 
 
Silence answered TaeHo’s performance, until Wednesday began applauding cheerfully, sending some tension in the man’s shoulders at such reaction. Every hostages expected something bad from Wednesday after such enthusiastic reaction. 
 
"You deserve this. He said with a grin, throwing a water bottle to the man who was stunned on his spot for a few seconds; before going back to his place. Well, who else ? He asked, watching the hostages before his eyes stopped on Block B's fan. You, lady ! He pointed, making her whimper in fear. Get up !"
 
She trembled some more but obeyed, freeing herself from Sooyeon’s grip on her, the girl now attached to her. 
 
Kim Minsu, as she was named, was twenty eight and working in a bank in Seoul. Jaehyo could not bear watching her dance one of their choreography so looked away. His gaze falling on Jiho as Minsu humiliated herself in front of the gunmen and hostages.
 
He caressed his younger’s blond, sweaty hair and felt his breath stop in his chest when Jiho stirred awake. 
 
He watched as his eyebrows knotted together, and his face contorted in pain and discomfort; his almond tired eyes eventually cracking open to lock with Jaehyo’s. 
 
They stared for a few seconds at each other, then the older boy smiled, sighing in relief to see Jiho awake. 
 
"Hey man… Croaked out the later, his voice raw and husky. 
 
- Glad to see you awake. He whispered back, brushing some bangs away from his younger’s forehead. How are you feeling ? Jiho winced as he tried to adjust his position then looked back at him.
 
- Like , is that a good answer…? Jaehyo smiled at the still witty Jiho on his lap. 
 
- SooAe bandaged your wound, the blood stopped and she said you should be alright. Jiho gave a breathy humorless chuckle. 
 
- Reminds me to buy her a thank you gift when we’re outta here… Jaehyo slapped softly and playfully his younger’s arm, winning a smirk from his friend. 
 
- Don’t be such an . She saved your life. 
 
- Yeah ? He answered, raising his brows and looking around. How long do you think I’ll enjoy it before another bullet blows my brain out ? 
 
- Don’t say that ! He hissed back, refusing to hear such thing. We’ll be alright, okay ? Jiho rolled his closed eyes and turned his head away.
 
- Whatever man… He breathed, once again exhausted.
 
- Hey you ! Snapped Wednesday’ voice, the laughter dying as everyone’s attention drifted on the two idols, Jiho fighting against unconsciousness feeling fear crawl on him in a moment of lucidity. One of your fan’s performing one of your choreo just in front of you and you’re ignoring her ? Jaehyo swallowed thickly as Jiho was most confused than anything else; because he had no idea what was going on. What kind of idols are you ? 
 
- The kind held hostage by ers… Growled Jiho so lowly even Jaehyo almost did not hear him. 
 
- What did he say ? Snapped the man, visibly annoyed and feeling the younger boy had said nothing nice; the only fact he dared answer to him being enough to upset him. 
 
- I don’t know, I couldn’t hear." Answered Sunday standing the closer to them; watching the hostages.
 
Wednesday pushed himself off the counter and stalked towards the two boys, scaring the life out of them. At least, Jiho would have been scared out of his mind if nausea was not making the world spin and a loud whistle was not deafening in his ears. 
 
"Wait, wait ! Panicked Jaehyo, leaning closer to his younger as protection against the angry man. 
 
- What did he say ? He snapped back, threatening to hurt them if he had no answer.
 
- He… I’m not sure. He looked down at a dozing Jiho. He said something along the line I’m freaking thirsty or something." He added, hoping the man would buy his lie.
 
Wednesday stared at Jaehyo who stared back before following the man’s gaze down to Jiho’s face wearing a pained grimace. 
 
"If he wants water he’ll have to earn it ! He said eventually, glaring at the two idols then. It must be new for you, but if you want something here you’ll have to work for it, got it ?"
 
Jaehyo hated the man for such words, as him and Block B never did anything but work their off to have what they had today. But he kept his mouth shut and nodded; Wednesday grinning in satisfaction afterward. 
 
"Good, then move your ! He ordered, stepping back to the counter. 
 
- Huh ? Answered a confused Jaehyo, glancing around until meeting SooAe’s worried gaze. 
 
- Get your damn here pretty boy ! Snapped the man, leaning against the counter. These two earned their water, just do as them." 
 
Sharing another look with the older girl, he eventually nodded to her and switched place with her; placing Jiho’s head on her lap then. 
 
SooAe watched him stand up and walk forward, before hesitating once in the center of attention.
 
"Huh…
 
- Name, age and occupation ? Asked Wednesday, and Jaehyo was glad for this, because he had no idea what to do otherwise.
 
- Hum, Ahn Jaehyo, twenty-two… I’m the sub-vocalist of Block B. He played nervously with his fingers and avoided the man’s gaze. 
 
- Very well Ahn Jaehyo. Grinned Wednesday. So, what’s your talent ? 
 
- Hum… singing ? He dared hesitantly, sending a glance at the man.
 
- Good, then go on !"
 
Hesitating another moment, Jaehyo eventually closed his eyes, choose a song and sang. 
 
SooAe thought his voice was good, and she liked it; even if it was quite shivering and weak in such situation under such attention. She still liked the song and the way Jaehyo sang it. 
 
Her attention was caught by Jiho then, the younger boy cracking open heavy eyelids to stare at her, his eyebrows knotting together in confusion.
 
"Who’re you ? He asked and she smiled softly.
 
- I’m SooAe, remember ? Jiho thought a second.
 
- Ah, yeah. The one I have to buy a thank you gift…" He added in a tired, slurred voice. 
 
SooAe frowned in confusion, a small smile playing on her lips at the incoherent boy on her lap.
 
"And huh… thanks, for that… He added, showing his side with a weak hand. 
 
- You welcome. She put her hand on his. Don’t move too much, you’ll hurt yourself. His brows twitched at her words.
 
- Where’s Jaehyo ? He asked, taking a look around.
 
- Just here, he’ll be back in a sec." She answered softly, caressing his hair as reassurance. 
 
Jiho searched his elder with his eyes then spotted him, confusion washing over him as he finally heard him sing.
 
"What’s he doin’…? 
 
- They asked him to show his talent… for some water. Jiho frowned hard. 
 
- Why ? She bit and her lips.
 
- Because they’re s." She whispered back, Jiho’s brows shooting up in surprise before grinning at her, Jaehyo eventually finishing his song. 
 
The later waited for the man’s next words then; fearing what could happen now.
 
"He’s better. Was his only comment as he pointed towards TaeHo lowering his head in discomfort. Here !"
 
Jaehyo caught the bottle with his head hanging down, shame and humiliation burning his cheeks. Sure, he should not be so sensitive in such situation, but the comment still hurts his pride and felt humiliating. 
 
"Here’s some water. He whispered once back on the floor beside Jiho and SooAe, holding the open bottle closer to his younger’s mouth. 
 
- Don’t you dare ! He heard Wednesday snap, stopping him net in his movement to stare up at the man in fear. If he wants water he’ll have to earn it. Jaehyo gasped at the words, Jiho not fully understanding what was going on and waiting for this damn water teasing him. 
 
- Hey man… He called weakly, tugging at his elder’s pants. 
 
- I’m sorry Ji… He answered after a moment of staring. 
 
- What…?" He asked huskily, frowning.   
 
He watched as Jaehyo moved the bottle away then, putting the cap on; without giving him a single drop of water. 
 
"Hey boy ! He heard but did not really focus on it, as he could only stare in bewilderment at his elder. Hey ! The voice was closer, and louder, so he looked over with a mix of confused fear on his face at the man standing near them. If you want water you have to earn it. He said, the words everything but understandable in his ears. 
 
- Huh ? Was his unintelligible answer, his expression as lost as his words. 
 
- You heard me ! Snapped Wednesday, grabbing a fistful of Jiho’s shirt then before anyone could react; Jiho's sharp cry of pain echoing in the building as he was yanked up on his feet and hauled away.
 
- Jiho ! Shouted Jaehyo after him, the man already far and Sunday aiming his rifle at him. 
 
- You want water ? Began Wednesday, Jiho breathing heavily in his grip at the pain flashing in his body. Then you’ll work for it !" He finished, shoving him away in front of everyone.
 
In his weak state, Jiho crashed down on the floor, his knees hitting painfully the hard surface as his side burnt atrociously after such rough treatment. 
 
There was stars dancing in front of his eyes suddenly as nausea assaulted him again. A deafened regular whistle piercing through his ears and head as the world slowed down around him. His breath the only clear thing he could hear, loud and irregular as cold sweat ran down his body. 
 
He was going to be sick… was his last thought before darkness closed around his vision and his back met the cold floor painfully; making him lay there out cold.

So, first thing first,
 
Thank you for subscribing and upvoting this story ^^ 
(I forgot in my previous chapters to thank you so... here it is)
 
So, how was it ? Did you like it ? 
 
You had some UBomb friendship... I hope you liked it ^^ 
(even if Yukwon was nothing like his usual self... it's understable, don't you think ?)
 
Anyway, 
 
I'll be so happy to have some comments to let me know what you think of this chapter or story in general ^^
 
And maybe I should've mentioned it in the foreword but...
 
English's not my first language, I learned by myself so I hope there's not too many grammar mistakes and all.
(I'm trying my best and I check, double-check, triple-check my chapters before posting ^^)
 
I'll see you next time ^^
 
Bye !