Chapter 8.

She resembles you.

He was late. I've been sitting in the café for at least half an hour. Not that I was complaining, actually, I really liked this place. It had a really welcoming surrounding: everything was made by wood, the floor, the chair, the tables and other furniture. It wasn't really hot inside, there was the perfect temperature contrasting the winter one outside. On the walls there were hung some Christmas decorations and some Polaroid pictures that costumers could attach on a special wall. There were a lot: couple pictures, group pictures and also pictures of single people. Fortunately, when I went there there wasn't a lot a people, just two couples and a guy who was reading a book. I was seated by a wall window so I could face the street where the entrance of the café was. So many people were passing by, some were rushing to get somewhere while others just walked by admiring the lights of the decorations. Some already had bags full of Christmas presents and some just window shopped. I was so immersed in looking at passer by that I didn't notice my cellphone vibrating on the table. When I did, there was a missed call from Ji Sun. I called her back: “Unnie, what's up?”
“In almost 45 minutes we'll be done with the recording. Can't you come back before it ends?”
“He's late. What should I do?”
“Uh, okay. Call me when you two are done. Arasso?”
“Yeah, unnie.”

Just when I hung up the phone, on the street there was a guy running, it was Myungsoo. He looked around to find the café and when he looked up he found me looking at me from the window, he stopped running. He still was about 100 meters away from the entrance but it seemed like he could see me perfectly. He took out from the pocket of his black coat his cellphone and called someone. My cellphone started vibrating. I picked up: “What are you waiting for? Come inside it's cold.” He was still standing in the middle of the crowd, he didn't move from where he was but he kept on looking at my way. “I'm sorry, I don't think I can do it.”
“What do you mean? I've been waiting for you for more than 30 minutes!”
“I-I'm sorry... I don't know what's got into me... I'm actually not ready to have a serious conversation with you...”
With that, he turned around and started to walk away, still keeping the cellphone on his ear. “Yah! What are you doing? Come back here!” I shouted on the phone while standing up. I didn't think it twice: I ran outside, leaving all my stuff in the café, still talking to Myungsoo. When I got outside, it was impossible to see him, I walked a little towards the direction he took but he hung up and it was impossible for a girl of 1,63 cm to see when the crowd was tall at least 10 cm more. Then, I started to feel the cold. I was wearing leggings with a sweater of wool, but it wasn't enough to fight the cold. I decided to go back inside and call him again. He didn't pick up. After 2 minutes I received a message that only said: “I'm sorry. I didn't mean to waste your time. I hope we'll meet again. I promise that what just happened won't happen again. Anxiety just got the best of me. Again, I'm sorry.” I decided not to reply him. When I went back to my seat inside the café everyone was looking at me. I didn't care. Just when I had the courage to meet him and talk, he backed away. I was so frustrated. I didn't even start the hot chocolate that I ordered because I wanted to wait for him, now it was cold. I stayed with my elbows on the table while I had my hands cupping my face. I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice the guy who was reading sitting in front of me. He waved his hand in front of my eyes, and then, noticed his presence. He smiled a little. He was a really good looking guy: brown and short spiked hair. Big almond-eyed and long lashes. His nose bridge was straight and his lips, curved into a smile, were not too plump not too thin. His jaw was sharp. “I said, are you okay?” I blinked a few times before answering, “yes, a little frustrated but I'm okay.” He smiled, but this time showing his teeth that were perfectly white.
“Just a little?”
“Yeah...”
“Oh, I'm so rude. I'm Mark.”
And he offered me his hand. I hesitantly took it and shook it.
“Destiny. You haven't lived in Korea since you were kid, have you?”
“How did you know?”
“Usually we don't shake hands.”
“Yeah, you're right. I always forget it. I've moved here this summer but I still have some problems of this kind.”
He said scratching the back of his neck.
“Don't worry about it. It took me one year to get used to it.”
“Ah! You haven't lived here since birth too?”
“Yup, I moved here some years ago.”
“I see, anyway, whoever dumped you is a jerk.”
“I'm sorry?”
“I mean, is it because of guy who dumped you that you ran outside wearing just that?”
He asked.
“Well, not really dumped. He's an old acquaintance who I had to talk with about something really important, but it seems like it wasn't for him.”
“Oh, I'm sorry about it.”
“You don't need to.”
I smiled.
“Good girl! You look better with a smile on your face! Not that you're ugly if you not smile, on the contrary! You're really pretty!” I just looked at him incredulous. When he realized what he said, he exclaimed: “I mean... Well...” He stuttered. He couldn't find anything to say. I chuckled a little.
“Don't worry about it. Thank you anyway.” I smiled again, not on purpose. He blushed a little, but I acted like I didn't notice. He was really cute, with a smile spread on his face. Then, my cellphone started vibrating again: G. Unnie.
“Could you please excuse me?, Unnie, tell me!”
“Destiny, Sun Yung unnie wants you back in the dorm. Say good bye to your lover L and come back.”
“Don't call him like that! Something happened so we couldn't talk.”
“And why are you still outside? Come back, it's getting dark.”

I talked with Mark for about 10 more minutes about ourselves and I discovered that he was still in high school, we had the same age and some common interests. Then, I really had to go.
“Thank you Mark, you made my day better talking to me. I really appreciate it.”
“No problem. It was really nice talking with you. Why don't we meet again? Do you want?”
“Yeah, why not? Here's my number.”
We exchanged our telephone numbers and he accompanied me to the bus stop. He was a really nice guy, I started to have some interest in him. It was a good thing, finally I could try to forget Myungsoo.

---

SO? That's it? You didn't actually talk with Myungsoo but you found another guy? Are you serious?” Kim exploded when I finished telling them the story.

 

Yes. I've tried for so long to forget him and know I can do it!”

 

And I thought that you were smiling because of Myungsoo! You said that you talked face to face, but it wasn't like that!”

 

It was! Even if I was meters above him with a windows between us.”

 

You really are too much!”

 

What do you want me do to? I don't want to get back with him! He made me suffer too much and I can't suffer again, not that much! Please, understand me! I was planning on, MAYBE, trying to get back together, but I told you what happened today: he walked away. What am I supposed to do? Run after him? No way!”

 

Okay, maybe it's not time to talk about this now. It's late, go to sleep and maybe, if you want Destiny, we can continue tomorrow.” Jess said while leading to her room.

 

We decided to go to sleep. She was right, it was late and we were tired.
I was already tucked in in my bed when someone rang the bell. I waited someone else to open the door. When Ji Sun did it, I could hear her voice and someone else's, a boy.

 

I need to talk to her. I know it's late, but I really have to!”

 

Myungsoo, please, go back to your dorm. It's late, everyone's tired and you as well. After what you did this afternoon, I don't think she will want too see you.”

 

I know I did something wrong, but please, I really need to talk to her. It's about Verah!”