Gratitude

Superman

Luhan sat on the bed, watching the sequence of events that unfolded before his eyes.

Chen grabbing the dagger to finish the hateful Kai off, Chen not killing Kai and instead hugging him, Chen pressing his fingers to Kai's forehead, Chen taking Kai away, out of the room.

After Chen left without even saying a word to him, Luhan fell back onto the pillows and felt tears prickle in his eyes, falling down onto the bedsheets and the blankets. He ignored them, letting his emotions flow as he clutched a pillow and cried his heart out.

The near death experience had shaken him so badly, worse than he thought, as he felt his heart pound rapidly against his chest for what seemed like hours. 

The shock of discovering Kai's true identity made Luhan nauseas and horrified at himself, and he couldn't believe he had submitted himself so easily to Kai's flirting and teasing. I should've known better. I should've listened to Chen, the one who is always looking out for me and doing what is best for me.

Chen.

Luhan couldn't deny it anymore. When he saw Chen again after 9 long days, he heart leapt for joy. Joy, not because Chen had rescued him from death's claws, but because Chen was safe and alive, albeit slightly paler and skinnier than before.

When Chen flung Kai off with that look of determination, he felt relief. When Chen ignored his presence completely, he felt broken. And when Chen hugged Kai, his supposed enemy, and left with him, Luhan felt a pang of jealousy.

Chen loved Kai. Chen had always loved Kai. Chen still loves Kai.

Luhan clenched his fist so tightly that his nails dug mercilessly into his palm, almost breaking his skin.

Why am I feeling this way?

***


Chen reached his destination.

He hadn't used any power at all to get there, just walking, despite the slightly long distance. Throughout the journey, he hugged Kai's limp body close to his own, feeling Kai's heartbeat flutter gently and his ragged uneven breathing through slightly parted lips.

Kai still looked so beautiful.

Maybe you'll never love me, but I will always think of you as a special one for me. Please, please mend your ways, Kai, I don't want you evil and heartless like that. I know you have never loved me, but...

Chen laid Kai gently down against the old plaque, and his face gently, closing his eyes.

They spent a short while in this position, Kai unconscious against the plaque and Chen crouching beside him with a palm on his cheek.

But... maybe I can show you my love.


Chen whispered a soft goodbye, and he let go of Kai, kissing him gently on his lips before stepping away. Then, intertwining his fingers together, Chen murmured a string of words, and a strong ball of light whipped down from the sky like a lightning bolt.

Kai was gone.

Back to his universe. Their universe.

Chen managed a weak smile. I hope he had felt my feelings. Kai, I hope you have heard my heart.

He turned around and headed back to the hotel slowly.

***


Chen came back about an hour later. Luhan had cried himself dry, and was just lying on the bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. 

Luhan felt the bed dip and a person laid down beside him, not touching him, but very close. They laid in silence for a while.

"Chen." Luhan whispered softly. He didn't dare to break the silence, but it was getting suffocating and his heart was aching.

Chen turned his body to face Luhan, and Luhan looked at Chen properly for the first time in 9 days. The cheekbones were definitely much more hollow than before, the eyebags more prominent, the lips more chapped and pale. His skin was glowing, though, and his eyes were a clear hazel. He was still so gorgeous.

Luhan swallowed hard, the tears struggling to pour down his cheeks yet again. Chen had suffered so much. He couldn't take it anymore. Sitting up, he pulled Chen into his arms and held him tight, gasping sobs shaking his body and tears falling all over Chen's shirt. It wasn't long before Chen lifted his arms and wrapped them around Luhan's waist.

"I was so worried... I missed you." Luhan wept into Chen's shoulder. Chen didn't reply, but simply hugged him tighter, hands Luhan's back comfortingly.

"Don't go away, Chen..." Luhan pulled away to look into the other man's eyes. "I'll never make you go away again, I promise with all my heart."

Luhan gently took one of Chen's hands that circled his waist, and placed it over his heart. "Feel this? I promise with this beating heart that I will never chase you away again."

Chen's eyes turned moist and he managed a weak smile. "Okay...-" suddenly he swayed, his face turning a strange grey. 

"Chen!!" Luhan's eyes widened as Chen fell back into his arms, murmuring about hunger and exhaustion. Luhan started to panick. "Uh, uh stay right here, I'll go get food for you!!" He set Chen back on the bed and dashed into the hotel room kitchen.

Within seconds, Luhan was back in the bedroom with a glass of water and a sandwich. He found Chen curled up in the blankets, soundly asleep.

It is the first time Chen had slept on a bed since he arrived to this universe, he must be so comfortable, Luhan mused, remembering all the nights he made Chen sleep on the floor because "my bed is strictly off-limits!!"

He never knew Chen looked so cute when he slept on a bed. His face was squished on a pillow, hair strewn messily all around his head and face, his body curled in a foetal position just like when he slept on the floor, but this time on a huge sprawling bed he looked so small and vulnerable.

Forget the food for now, this dude is exhausted. I should let him sleep.

Luhan placed the food back in the mini-fridge and headed to the bed slowly. Chen didn't stir when he laid down on it slowly after removing his slightly dirty work shirt and pants, leaving him in his boxers. Chen didn't stir when he shifted closer towards him, draping an arm over the smaller man's shoulder. 

But just before sleep claimed him, he felt a soft hand press gently against the angry red cut on his neck left by the dagger. Chen is using Rapid Heal on me in his sleep, Luhan thought sleepily with a smile. Only Chen could do something like that. He felt the skin repair itself miraculously, and even after it did, Chen's hand remained on his neck. Luhan took the hand with his own and intertwined their fingers together, falling asleep while pressed close to Chen's side.

 

***


Chen woke up, feeling extremely calm and comfortable and... Ravenous. 

Whoa... His stomach rumbled noisily, and he clutched it tight. "Keep quiet, you're not allowed to talk before I do!!" He whispered to it.

Then he heard a giggle, and he turned his head. Luhan was sitting on the sofa with a mug of coffee and a burger, watching him with great amusement.

Oh great, Chen groaned in embarrassment. He was watching me talk to my stomach.

Luhan got up and sat beside him on the bed, ruffling his hair playfully. 

"Hungry?" He handed him another burger and a glass of water, which he accepted with a big smile and chowed it down like a wolf. Thankfully Luhan had enough sense to buy more than one, and four and a half burgers later, Chen collapsed back on the bed with a full stomach. 

Then, the memories of last night washed over him, and his smile vanished. Luhan his hair softly. "Chen, what's wrong?"

He sat up and leaned his head softly on Luhan's shoulder. "Kai has gone back."

He felt Luhan nod slowly. "You sent him back?"

"Yeah. I erased his memory and sent him back. He won't remember a thing about this universe, so don't worry." 

Luhan hugged his shoulder. "I'm glad you didn't kill him."

Chen blinked sadly. "I can't kill him... He's..." Then he shut his mouth, unable to continue out loud.

He's my first love.

Luhan seemed to have understood, and did not probe. Instead, he asked, "why was it that I reacted the way I did when I was with him? I mean, my doppelgänger liked him, but why me too?"

Chen smiled wanly at the question. Perfectly innocent, but very complicated.

"You see..." He shifted until he was sitting face to face with Luhan. "Doppelgängers have an inexplicable connection to each other. You don't know Xiao Lu, Xiao Lu doesn't know you, but there is a connection. And that connection usually deepens when one of them dies."

Luhan nodded. "So I felt like that for Kai because Xiao Lu...passed away?"

Chen shrugged. "I guess so. These forces are way beyond my comprehension..." 

"But don't worry, Luhan. Kai isn't going to come back..." His heart twitched in sadness as he said that, "but we cannot let our guard down. Okay?"

"Okay. By the way, thanks Chen. No words can express my gratitude." Luhan pulled him into a hug.

They sat like that for a few moments, and then Luhan pulled away with an odd expression. Chen wanted to ask what's wrong, when suddenly Luhan was kissing him.

Luhan's lips were soft and delicate on his own, brushing so gently and carefully like he didn't want to hurt him. It feels so nice and warm, so comfortable...

No.

Chen broke the kiss abruptly, and shifted his body slightly to face away from Luhan. He didn't miss the look of surprise and hurt that flitted through the other boy's face.

"I...I'm sorry." Luhan's voice was strained and hesitant, and he hid his face in his hands.

Chen swallowed the thick lump in his throat.

I can't get too attached to Luhan, nor get him too attached to me. After all, I'm here for a serious mission, not to fall in love.

 

 

***


Luhan constantly wanted to pinch himself for his stupidity. Argh why did I kiss Chen?! I mean I know he's gorgeous and beautiful and his lips are plump and kissable and it felt so right kissing him but NO I cannot kiss him I cannot I cannot I cannot...-

Chanyeol bopped his head with the duster.

"Excuz mou, don't daydream during work hours again." He sighed and pulled Luhan along towards the furniture section. Luhan had told Chanyeol earlier that he had made up with Chen.

"So.... It's a love triangle, huh?" Chanyeol went on, ignoring Luhan's glares as he pulled the shorter boy up the escalator. "Kai likes you, you like Chen!!" 

Luhan smiled weakly. The love triangle is much much more complicated than you would ever guess, Chanyeol.

He had tried to convince Chanyeol that Chen wasn't his boyfriend, but Chanyeol just wasn't buying it. "Nope nope, I smell love..." Chanyeol had said, and sniffed the air like a dog, much to Luhan's disgust. So he gave up.

"Anyway it's been five days already, why aren't you two kissy kissy again?" Chanyeol continued his prattle, as if he had ever seen Chen and Luhan 'kissy kissy-ing' before. "You two should go kiss already and make up and make out and go roll on the bed and-"

"Shut UP Chanyeol." Luhan was embarrassed at the way his own cheeks heated up, remembering that night when they shared a bed together.

"Won't!!"

Luhan swore Chanyeol is out to ruin his life.

But he knew what Chanyeol meant. When Chen came after his shifts to pick him up, his face was distant, his smile was half-hearted. Chen didn't laugh as much or joke around as much with him anymore like he used to. It was almost like he was pulling away from Luhan, like he didn't dare to come too close.

It had been five days, and it wasn't improving. If anything, it was getting worse.

And if anything, Luhan really wanted the old laughing happy Chen back. I miss him.

 

 

***


2 days later.

Chen picked Luhan up from work again, as usual. 

"What do you want for dinner?" Chen asked with a small, sad smile, brushing leaves out of Luhan's hair as they headed back to the apartment.

Luhan stood in front of Chen, blocking his path. "Chen."

Chen averted his gaze, focusing on the leaves sweeping across the path. 

"Chen, you need to hear me out. Listen to me, Chen. You're not behaving normal... And..." Luhan's voice faltered, and he cleared his throat, still trying to get Chen to look up. "And...I miss the old Chen."

Chen bit his lip sadly. He almost looked like he wanted to become the old Chen. But there was something stopping him. 

Luhan sighed, and then remembered Chanyeol's master plan that he had whispered to Luhan during work earlier. Operation Get-Chen-To-Be-Carefree-And-Happy-Again.

"Chen, say, how does going on a holiday sound?" 

Chen looked up finally, his eyes wide with surprise. "Holiday?"

Luhan grinned. "Yeah!! It's nearing Christmas and I want to take you on a holiday. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are coming too. How does that sound?"

Chen furrowed his brow. "I don't have a passport..."

"Then we won't travel out of the country!! Maybe somewhere nearby. Chanyeol and I will plan it, so don't worry too much." He pressed his hands on Chen's shoulders gently. "Lets just relax and have a nice holiday to clear our minds, okay?"

Chen smiled, a genuine one that reached his eyes, one that Luhan hadn't seen for days. "Okay, if you wish."

Luhan took his hand and swung it like a child, trying to prolong the beautiful smile on Chen's face. "Great!! Let's go, I don't mind anything you cook tonight, as long as it's edible and has some form of chicken inside." Luhan bit the insides of his cheeks in mock seriousness, eliciting a chuckle from the other. "Actually on second thought, fish would be better. Or beef. Or anything I suppose. As long as you cook it."

A smirk tugged on Chen's lips. "Maybe we should order take-out?" And he laughed.

Luhan was never happier. At least, a bit of my Chenchen is back

 

 

 

A/N: Next few chaps will be the holiday!! YAYY because my fics will alwyas include some holiday. BECAUSE HOLIDAYS ARE FUN haha

 

And i have a new project called Connected, its a oneshot that became a fourshot because i hate lengthy chapters and breaking them up is better. I will upload the whole story by tomorrow :):)

So here is my RANDOMNESS SPOT XD

 

I can't wait for this!!!! AAAHHHHHHHHH

 

cr: ivyclub

Cheesy best friends trio!! (for the sake of this fic)

 

THEY ARE ALL SO GOODLOOKING I CAN'T 

Someone sell me that I <3 YOU balloon. Its so cutee.

Im just wondering, do they always stand in this formation or do they change? Because Kris and Tao are always at the extreme corners and Kai always in the middle. Hmm

cr: tumblr (deerstation)

Duizhang is amused xD

Sayonara!! *flees*