CHEN

Superman

"Chen...Chen..."

"What?!"

"I need you to come here to the headquarters. Now."

"Why?!"

"Your help is needed."

...

"What do you need me for?"

"You have a task. A task to fulfill."

"What task?"

"You have to travel to the other world. The other universe."

"Wha- why? I don't want to! I can't! It's too..."

"You don't have a choice, Chen. You have to go."

"My doppelgänger will see me, for heavens sake."

"Listen. Your doppelgänger is in a coma in China. He will not see you, nor will his friends and family, because you are going to Korea."

"Korea? What business do I have there?"

"You have to protect this boy called Luhan. He is in great danger, a man is out to kill him, and he is dabbling with our forces, putting us in great danger too. It's not a good sign. You have six months to stop him. Kill him. Understand?"

"But... I don't know this Luhan..."

"You will. I will bring you to where he is. ... ... There, I've saved a memory of him in your head. You know him now."

"What... Do I say to him?"

"Tell him the truth. Luhan knows about us, he heard it from somewhere. He may not believe it, but you have to make him trust you."

"Am I allowed to show him my powers?"

"Yes, but do not overuse it, restrict to saving his life or prevent anything disastrous. No one else but him must know about your secret. Understand?"

"Yes..."

"You are very important, Chen. Our livelihood depends on you, we cannot to let this man break the force between our universe, it would cause chaos again. Not even the plaque can stop it if that happens."

"Okay. Will I be hearing from you anymore?"

"No, you won't, I will talk to you only six months later. Now go. I trust you, Chen."

***

It was raining. 

Chen clicked his tongue in irritation when he found his handsome suit drenched in the pouring rain just seconds after he was projected onto this universe, via a well-disguised lightning bolt. The universe that he did not belong to. The universe where no one had powers.

This is going to be weird, he thought. I use my powers everyday, now I have to hold everything back. For six months. Geez.

So where is this Luhan? 

From the memory in Chen's head, Luhan had a pretty face, almost like a girl, soft and porcelain and dainty. And he had a sad, troubled faraway look in his eyes.

Luhan should be near, Chen thought. He was also granted the ability to sense where Luhan was, courtesy of Chief.

Chief, I swear I will strangle you. I so did not want my suit to get soaked-

Suddenly an intense pain shot through Chen's head. That is not right. Luhan!! Chen started to run, his body cutting through the air like a dart, fast and extremely nimble. 

Luhan. Why is that dumb boy sitting in the middle of the road. Has he the mentality of a 5-year old?!

Chen sighed and swooped down easily, grabbing Luhan cleanly off the ground and setting him on the sidewalk. Luhan eyes reeled about in shock, and Chen couldn't help but chuckle softly.

"Wha- did I just teleport or something?" Luhan mumbled.

Chen scoffed. "No you didn't." 

The boy's eyes flew upwards, and met his. A few seconds later, he opened his mouth to scream.

"Aaaarrrrggghhh...." 

Oh god that made his ears hurt. And he is going to drink too much rainwater from all that screaming. Chen leaned down and clamped his mouth shut. Immediately Luhan's anxiety sizzled down to nothing, and the boy slumped against his shoulder.

Good, so he used his powers of fast speed, quick reflex and instant calm in just under a minute. This is fun, really fun.

Then Chen realised why Luhan screamed. His eyes. Whenever beings used their powers back on the other universe, there would always be a tell tale sign. Swollen wrists, purplish cheeks, stuff like that. That was the sole factor that teachers, in his universe, use to identify if any child was illegally using his powers. (Like, cheating in exams?)

For Chen, his was metallic eyes. They would glaze over and remain like that for about two minutes before dissolving back into the soft hazel brown.

Chen was a special being. Other kids in his universe had one or two powers. But Chen had quite a number - the powers he had just used were just three in many. That's why he was called to the special division: the Headquarters of Universal Monitoring and Protection (HUMP). He hated being a member of it. 

And now he could see why he hated it so much. Drenched in the pouring rain, crouched on a sidewalk with a boy laid sleeping peacefully on its shoulder. Chen huffed on his fringe, irritated, but of course it didn't puff up like usual. His hair was all plastered on his head.

Chen sighed, and picked the boy up gently, cradling him close to his chest. Well, here goes: the six-months-of-babying-Luhan project has officially started. So where did this boy live? He closed his eyes and focused on the memory he was given. And, with his eyes still shut, he walked.

***

When he opened them, he was in front of a door. Is this Luhan's apartment? Well, my intuition is always right, Chen smirked and pushed open the door.

 

It was a small apartment, a little cramped for Chen's liking, but maybe that was because he had spent all his life living in a huge sprawling bungalow. Chen sighed, and grumbled about why didn't he have a instant dry power. They were both dripping wet and extremely cold.

Well, I can fix the cold problem, Chen thought. He placed a shivering Luhan down on the floor and removed his wet clothes. Once he was undressed, Chen pressed his hand on Luhan's stomach. Touch heat. Luhan was warm now.

He undressed himself and did the same thing. Then he went into what seemed like Luhan's bedroom and rummaged in the cupboard, pulling out two sets of clothes.

"Now why didn't I think of bringing clothes," Chen murmured to himself, as he put on Luhan's slightly oversized shirt. "Then again, Chief didn't even give me any time to pack. Any time to do anything. He just whisked me away. Oh well."

He went out to the living room, dried Luhan with a towel, and dressed him. Seeing a man was no biggie for Chen, he and his buddies used to skinny dip all the time. Chen groaned when he realised he won't be seeing them for six months. 

Then he picked Luhan up and took him to his bed, drying his hair some more with the towel. I can't cure colds and fevers, Chen thought with a roll of his eyes. Better not take the chance. He pressed his palm against Luhan's slightly cold face again, warming it, and then rolling back on the floor.

Sleep now, handle this weird situation tomorrow.

***

When Luhan cracked open an eye, it was already morning. He was on his bed, wearing his Mickey Mouse shirt and floral shorts. What?!

"Hnngh..." He swung his legs off the bed, and then freaked out when it brushed soft skin.

Skin?! Luhan looked down in horror.

Oh my god why is there a MAN wearing MY favourite Superman shirt and MY striped shorts sleeping on MY room floor?! 

Luhan opened his mouth to scream, when suddenly the man stirred and opened his eyes, rubbing them sleepily. 

He blinked at Luhan. Clear hazel eyes. Then he stretched, revealing smooth white lean arms. Luhan blinked back. He was kinda attractive.

But that was beside the point. Luhan took his pillow and threw it as hard as he could at the man.

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE, TRAMP!!"

The man choked and sputtered, and flung the pillow out of his face with an angry scowl. "I'm NOT a TRAMP, for heavens sake!!"

Luhan froze. The voice. That voice. From last night....

"You..."

"Yeah I did. I saved you last night, okay? Thank me now." The stranger sat, cross-legged, facing him. Luhan gulped. "I... That can't be, he had those... Those..." Luhan shuddered. "Eyes... Anyway I'm positive it was a dream because no way someone could have saved me from that in reality. Too fast, much too fast." 

Luhan closed his eyes and shook his head as if to shake away the memory, but suddenly realised the man that was sitting in front of him wasn't a dream.

"Are you real?" He asked softly.

The man chuckled. "As real as you, dude."

"But..."

"Look, it's a long story, but I will tell you. Just not yet, okay. Let's see, do you have anything on today?"

Luhan suddenly felt ragingly furious. Fuming. Exploding with anger.

"YOU. GET OUT. NOW."

The man's smile faded. "What?"

"You're lying!! There is no story to tell!! You're either a ert that..." Luhan shuddered, "did something to me last night, or you're some homeless guy latching on to me and trying to live off me, or some kind of..."

Luhan grabbed his head and groaned in frustration. "Just leave. I won't tolerate your rubbish. Please."

The man's jaw dropped. He blinked several times. "You don't understand..." 

"Please. Go."

Luhan turned his back to face the man. Then he heard some shuffling, and a very sudden whoosh. Alarmed, he turned his body - and the clothes that the man originally was wearing was now a heap on the floor. He was gone.

Like he just disappeared into thin air.

What the heck? Why do I keep seeing ghosts? Luhan shivered and reached over to pick up the clothes. They were still warm, and they smelled like rain and himself.

***

Fast speed. Quick reflex.

Oh heck, the suit is still damp.

Chen caught his breath at the stairwell, shutting his eyes and counting to 120. Then he opened them. They should be normal now.

Chen shifted uncomfortably in his damp suit and climb down the stairs, in a daze. 

That guy chased me away. After what I have done, he chased me away. 

That is so not good. He had 5 months and 29 days left. Oh shucks.

Anyway, Chen thought, I ought to fix this clothing issue. He reached the bottom of the staircase, and pushed open the back door, out to the sunny street ahead.

Walking along the main road, Chen thought that maybe he looked a little weird, walking around in a clearly damp formal suit in the middle of the morning. He entered a departmental store and smiled at the staff.

Chen didn't have money, of course. But since when was money ever a problem. Back in his universe, there was no currency, no buying, no paying. People just took what they needed. It was an open society. 

Things were different here, of course. But Chen had an idea brewing in his mind.

Time to get to work.

Chen strolled through the aisles of clothing, picking out about three sets of casual clothing and heading to the changing room. He examined the clothing and found what he was looking for. The sensor tags.

Brute strength. The tag crumbled easily in his hands and he smiled happily. Too easy, too easy.

Chen picked up the broken sensor tags, and he knew that they still had their sensor in them, so he couldn't take them out of the shop. Item restore. The tags swelled back to their original state, like they were never crushed before. Perfect.

Then he stepped out of the changing room, holding the untagged clothes with one hand, and the sensor tags were underneath the mound he held. More smiles, more grins, more bows. He was nearing the entrance now.

Okay here goes. Chen made sure he was hidden from sight behind a rack.

Time stop. Chen had five seconds. He flung the tags in the rubbish bin with amazing accuracy. Fast speed. He flew out of the store.

Then time resumed. People started walking and talking and doing their stuff as usual. No one noticed Chen, standing at a corner with three sets of clothes, glowing eyes and a large triumphant smile.

That was so freaking awesome!!

 

 

A/N: Chen as a ninja thief hahahaha

He is just too cute here asdfghjkl ever-smiling Chenchen