The Plaque

Superman

ONE


Do MinJeok.

The man who murdered his father. The man who murdered his mother. The man who ruined his beautiful sweet happy life and left him with a horrible post-traumatic anxiety disorder, orphaned and alone in an orphanage.

The man who left him with countless nightmares, those eyes that burned with deep hatred, those eyes that told him, I'd be back.

Luhan closed his eyes and willed himself to sleep. Do MinJeok is dead. He won't come back.

But his partner will. The unknown partner of Do MinJeok, still on the loose, lurking out there somewhere.

It has been fifteen years and no one had ever heard from him again. The police have long stopped searching. Maybe, with a of luck, he might already be dead.

But every night as Luhan laid on his small bed in his small apartment, there was this intuitive feeling that crept up to him, leaving him shuddering and grasping to the blanket in fear.

He is still around somewhere, and he is looking for me. One day he will find me.

***


"Hey Luhan." 

Luhan slapped himself awake and pulled himself up from a corner of the departmental store. His best friend was smirking at him. 

"Slacking away again? I won't be surprised if you got caught and fired on the spot."

"Shut up, Chanyeol."

"Won't!! Anyway you owe me one now, look who's coming."

Luhan turned to see their manager marching along the aisles of clothing, eyes like a hawk.

"You'd be a dead goose if I hadn't woken you, so admit it, I'm awesome and you know it." Chanyeol nudged him with a laugh. Luhan rolled his eyes.

Chanyeol was the only person who truly understood him. He was the first actual friend Luhan had made, the day he first stepped into the orphanage, eyes dull and face expressionless.

A small boy had ran towards and grabbed his hand, yelling out to the others about "A NEW FRIEND YAYY" and pulling him to the playground where the other children were.

The boy was two years younger, his name was Park ChanYeol, his parents had died in an airplane crash when he was three. 

As they grew up, Luhan found comfortable companionship in Chanyeol. They would sit together and talk about all sorts of things in life. Luhan knew him inside out, and didn't mind when one day a beautiful plum-haired boy entered their lives when Chanyeol was 14, and stole his heart immediately. 

Luhan didn't think he was gay, anyway. And Byun BaekHyun, the boy, understood Luhan and Chanyeol's close friendship. So they were all happy together, going to school, to play, to study.

When Luhan turned 18, he had to leave the orphanage. With what money his parents left him, Luhan found a cheap apartment and bought it. Then he found a job at a large department store just down the street, where he had been working for the past five years now.

Luhan smiled wistfully and looked up to Chanyeol, who was eyeing him with a weird look. 

"You suddenly just spaced out. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah." Luhan picked up his duster. "I'm going to Level 4 to resume my cleaning. See ya around."

 

***


It was after work. The evening air was soft and chilly against Luhan's skin as he trudged home. Today, more than ever, he was reminded of the fact that his life was in constant danger. 

Luhan looked over his shoulder in apprehension, but all he saw was a very general scene - people strolling, office workers heading home, cars cruising along the road.

As usual, my imagination, he thought.

But something felt different today. Something made him keep walking, past his apartment and towards the town park, a short distance away.

A small gust of wind blew along the sidewalk, causing fallen leaves to stir slightly. Luhan quickened his pace until he found himself standing in front of a tall plaque.

 

 

***


There was a legend that the plague held. Once, when Luhan was a bumbling 12 year old kid in school, he overheard a couple of jocks talking among themselves.

"Hey have you heard the legend of the creepy old plaque in the town park?"

"No... What crazy thing did you hear this time?"

"Well the story goes like this." Luhan perked his ears and shifted closer, pretending to read his math textbook.

"... Long time ago there was a clash of universes. You know what's a parallel universe, right? Where people that look exactly like us live, with different lifestyles and different relationships. So there was a terrible dimensional fault and people could cross from one universe to another. That sounds like bull I know, but soon people noticed their doppelgänger and it was really creepy. No one knew who was real, who was from which universe, it was chaos."

Luhan felt a shiver run through his spine.

"Then a powerful God noticed this strange happening, and immediately he summoned all the beings from the other universe back into their own, and he built that plaque as a barrier to prevent this clash from happening again."

"What a story," another guy rolled his eyes. "Why would such a powerful thingy be in a rundown old park? Should be in a museum or something. And..." His eyes sparkled. "If we destroy it can we cross over?"

"Nooooooo....." His friends boo-ed him, and he stuck out his tongue at them.

The storyteller continued. "Well, people have tried, but it was impossible to demolish. As to why its in our park... Beats me. Anyway, most people don't believe it. They all just think that if you put your hand on it and wish for something, it will come true. Only one wish per person."

"Gee, let's go there later!! I want to wish for Briana to fall in love with me..." One of the jocks swooned and make a smoochy face, and the other boys went to glomp him.

Luhan blinked and gazed back at his book.
I don't believe it, he thought. Supernatural stuff like this don't exist. He sighed and turned the page, really starting to read.

***

The plaque looked really really old. Like, even older than the earth, if that was possible.

Luhan hugged his jacket tighter around him. This is odd, he thought. Why is it suddenly so cold?

He turned his eyes back to the plaque, and, out of instinct, placed his palm on the cool surface of the plague.

The ceramic seemed to constrict under his touch, like it was melding right into his skin. Luhan closed his eyes and blurted out without much thinking.

"Oh god why am I doing this. But I'm here and I'm doing it. So okay I don't believe in wishes and magic and what not. But..." His breath hitched as a stray tear made its way down his cheek, "I wish, I really wish I could have someone to protect me. I mean there's Chanyeol and Baekhyun and all the others but I want someone to hold me, to understand how I feel deep inside, I don't care if its a friend or a lover or whatever I just want someone. I want someone oh god I'm scared, I know he will be back and he will kill me and I don't want to die, I want someone to be with me and hug me and me tell me that everything will be okay. I'm so ing scared..."

Luhan's knees couldn't support him anymore and he slid down, fists clenching. He broke his hand contact with the plaque, leaning heavily against it, and sobbed until his tears went dry. 

I feel so alone... Nobody cares about me. Nobody loves me.

 

 

***


Luhan felt a soft patter on his head. Oh great, he thought, it's starting to rain. And I don't have an umbrella.

He got up slowly, knees shaking, and wondered how long he had been sitting there by the plaque. That's not a cause of worry now, he thought. I need to get home before I catch my death

Luhan peered out in the already pouring rain, straining his eyes to see when he could cross the road. When it was finally empty, Luhan started to cross it.

When he was about to reach the middle of the road, he suddenly slipped and fell hard on his . "Argh what the hell." He rolled over and tried to stand.

When he noticed a motorcycle speeding along, way past the speed limit, straight towards him.

Oh freak!!!!

Luhan stared at his death loomed near. There was no way he was to get up and escape that fast, at the rate the vehicle was going. 

Oh my god is this how I'm going to die?

Hell, I-

Unexpectedly his thoughts were flung aside when a pair of strong firm arms literally swung his body into the air. Luhan gasped, the world spinning around him, as he arms flailed about. Then, a split second later, Luhan was sitting safely on the sidewalk. The motorcycle speeded on its way. Luhan gaped at it.

"Wha- did I just teleport or something?"

"No you didn't."

Luhan jumped and nearly fell flat on his back. Looking up and blinking through the rain, he made out a face.

A face, with glowing silver metallic eyes.

Luhan screamed.

 

 

 

A/N: My Luchen / Chenhan feelings are no joke x_x

Chen has appeared!! YAY

So what's the mystery behind Chen? Find out next chapter!!