Freedom Comes With A Price

How Far Until Footprints Vanish - Undergoing Revision and Finalization

Freedom Comes With A Price

*           

            Times of high stress and anxiety as usual made Chansung a light sleeper. He opened his eyes and looked around, and then the door to the room opened slightly. A surprised Min-Jun looked in, but then motioned for him quickly. Chansung checked over his siblings and Wooyoung before rising up and walking out.

            Coming to the kitchen, Taecyeon was already there and getting dressed.

            “Something is wrong…” He said.

            “Fei was brought to the hospital this morning.” Taecyeon informed. “We're heading there now.”

            Chansung grabbed his winter clothing and ran out the door with Taecyeon. “What happened?”

            “Chung-Hee and Aurora had a huge fight this morning, I don't know the details. Fei was there for the whole thing.” Taecyeon answered.

            “It had to have been pretty bad if she's in the hospital. Why was she there?”

            “They said they were going to prepare for this morning. She's had some close calls this fall, so we told her to take it easy and give work to others to reduce the stress. We've all been pushing really hard because it's been so tiring to reach this point. We were all ecstatic yesterday though, so this really surprises me.” Taecyeon was worried.

            Chansung shook his head, “no more secrets, I can tell you're holding back on some of the details. You more than anyone really - you know things about my family that I don’t. There’s just...so much I don’t know and I’m tired of it, Taecyeon.”

            Taecyeon sighed, “I know, there are things we need to talk about. You deserve so much truth, Chansung.”

            Feeling angry, not the fleeting kind, but real and true anger, he exhaled noisily. “Is my mother really that scary? It can’t have just been her.”

            As they came into the hospital parking lot Chansung steeled himself. For Fei to be hospitalised, Chansung knew the fight had to have been really serious. Something had set his mother off.

            “You're right. It wasn’t just your mother.” Taecyeon said as he sat back, hands still on the wheel. “There’s so much, Chansung, so much. Sometimes I think about all that has happened, especially what has arisen the last little while, all that you've uncovered...it truly has been unfair to you - you and Wooyoung. Sometimes I've wondered, at the end of all of this what would we do? Would we be twisted and tainted by it all? Would we be proud?”

            Chansung looked across the parking lot towards the city of his youth, his prison.

            “Would it really feel like freedom? How could we go home at the end of it all, to our families, and feel like we succeeded? So much has been taken from your father and I,” Taecyeon opened up, “some things no one will ever know, but we had to do it.”

            Taking a deep breath, Chansung closed his eyes and calmed himself down. “I guess I'm just frustrated. All this time so many people had the answers I was so desperately looking for, and now it's like the dam holding back the truth has been broken, probably by me.” Chansung gripped his arm. “With the passing of the bills, it's kind of bittersweet, so...whatever happens, so many people will be happy - including Min-Jun, Wooyoung and even me. It may not be immediate, but we’ll see what freedom the bills will bring, as well as justice. I know you and my dad sacrificed a lot. I know. But I hope this means that the chains holding everyone down will really and truly be released, you know?”

            Taecyeon smiled, “Even though you're mad you're still trying to set me at ease, huh?" Taecyeon made to say more but he didn't, instead he opened his door. “Come on, let’s see what’s going on.”

            Together they made their way to the hospital entrance.

            “Mr. Kim, Mr. Hwang told me to wait here for you so I can you.” A young man said as he approached.

            “How is she?”

            “Fei is in the emergency room. We thought she was going into labour, she seemed to be doing fine, but then she started bleeding terribly.” The man updated worriedly.

            “What!?” Chansung hissed.

            When they came to the waiting room Chansung went ramrod straight. The moment his father stood up, it was instinctual, he hid behind Taecyeon.

            “Chansung?”

            He wasn’t ready for this, he wasn’t.

            “Where is she?” Taecyeon asked.

            “Cowering from your father, that’s not like you.” Aaron spat in his direction.

            “Taking jabs at me isn’t going to help her.” Chansung shot back.

            What happened? Where’s Aurora?” Taecyeon asked.

            Chansung watched his father’s expression harden and his scent became sour and stringent.

            “Don’t worry Chung-Hee, this wasn’t your fault.” Aaron comforted.

            His father sneered and bared his teeth.

            Aaron shrunk back immediately.

            “Dad, what happened?” Chansung asked.

            His father began to shake, “this...I will never forgive myself if we lose her.” He began to look grey and sickly. “Fei and I were going over some last things for today. Your mother and I have been fighting much, and it got out of hand last night. It was terrible. We exchanged words - words Fei nor anyone needed to hear. Her water broke and I called Aaron. I brought her here to the hospital. It seemed like she had just gone into labour, but then she started bleeding. There was so much blood.”

            Aaron rose up and began pacing.

            “The stress of...everything, it all just seemed to spiral out of control. Nothing feels right. I just hope everything will be okay.”

            “Hey,” Taecyeon knelt in front of his father, “Chung-Hee, everything will be okay. There’s no one stronger than Fei.”

            A knock at the door had everyone turning to find the doctor and a nurse. “Sorry to interrupt, we just wanted to let you know Fei is fine. She has lost a lot of blood but she will be okay. She is reeiving blood transfusions and they are going well. The cubs were all delivered safely and are sleeping.”

            A wave of relief washed over all of them. Chansung collapsed to the floor and hugged himself.

            “Aaron, I can take you to see your children. Unfortunately, we must wait for Fei to be more stable before you can see her.”

            “That’s okay, please just tend to her to the fullest. I’m relieved that everyone is safe. I would love to see my children.” Aaron said and made his way out the door.

            “Our session is in 30 minutes, Chung-Hee, we need to go.” Taecyeon reminded.

            “I can’t even think straight-"

            “Don’t you dare!” Chansung moved forward, surprising both his father and Taecyeon. Shaking, he looked elsewhere but eventually turned to face his father once more. “Don’t you dare give up now. We have all been waiting for this, Fei especially. She’s been by your side working on this since she was a page. I didn’t do all I did just for you to crash and burn when we are literally this close!”

            “Chansung-”

            “No, he’s right. Forgive my moment of weakness.” His father said. “Let’s go. This all ends today.” His father walked passed him without another word.

            Chansung took some deep calming breaths, but really only calmed down when Taecyeon cupped his chin.

            “Are you coming?”

            Chansung gripped his arms, “I...I can’t.”

            “Please, I need you to be there with him. Come with us.”

            Chansung looked up, “it hurts.”

            Taecyeon nodded, “I know. But please hold off on that pain and anger, just a little more. Please?”

            Brushing at his eyes, Chansung nodded and followed him down the hall. To say it was awkward in the car was an understatement, very soon though Taecyeon and his father were discussing things they might need to say. When they finally arrived, Chansung walked in with them but they were immediately met by the press.

            “Hwang Chansung!”

            “Hwang Chansung is here!”

            Suddenly between both his father and Taecyeon, Chansung had no choice but to look up. He wouldn’t look weak here, not when so many people were watching.

            “Are you relieved that all charges and accusations about you have been dropped by the Department of Justice, Hwang Chansung?”

            “I am.” He answered.

            “Sylvana Porta has submitted an appeal to the Department’s decision, can we get your thoughts on that?”

            Chansung’s jaw tightened. This was the first he had heard of the appeal. He tried to quell his rage.

            “The Porta family has done quite enough to mine. It seems she wishes to carry out her father’s work in many ways, and is relentless in the Porta family's mission to continue to harm my son and our vision of hybrid rights.” Came his father, and it took everything in Chansung not to look at him. "As you all know, additional evidence has come forward concerning the assaults on my family in the past. I would ask that you please wait for further information when it is available from the authorities."

            "This cannot be easy for your family. Can you speak your thoughts on what might happen if this proceeds to court?"

            Not wanting his father to take any heat or ridicule, Chansung shook his head. “Whatever comes in the future, I cannot fathom nor understand why Miss Porta wishes to do me harm when all I want is for people to stop experimenting on and killing hybrids. As my father said, we have a vision that so many have worked on for hybrid rights to be recognised. If Miss Porta continues to wish harm upon me or my family, I hope the public sees how horrific that is, all because we are standing up for our rights and peace. This is more than what happened to myself and my family. Hybrids around the world are facing violence. We need change to stop these tragic events and acts of injustice, like what happened to my family both in the past and now. I hope you stand with us.”

            A silence fell over the reporters for nearly a minute. In that time, Chansung’s heart began to race. He knew he had to take care with his words now. He wasn’t speaking to familiar company or friends, this was going out to the world.

            “How do you feel to finally see the voting session for the bills? Please, any one of you may answer.”

            “They’re going to be official today.” Taecyeon said with a grin. “Hybrids better get ready to celebrate.”

            “We must be going. We cannot be tardy on this most important day.” Chung-Hee said and turned towards the council chambers.

            When they came to the hallway outside the chambers, a large crowd of people - hybrids and human allies alike - were waiting there. Chansung felt so many emotions upon seeing them. Their fists were all in the air, some had the word ‘freedom’ while others had the word ‘rights’ written on their forearms. The chanting began quietly, those two words began to reverberate throughout the hall, and it was growing louder and louder. Chansung lifted his father’s and Taecyeon’s arms and stepped back. This was their moment. He wanted to see it now. He wanted to see this and burn it into his mind. He would never forget this moment.

            Very soon, Taecyeon and his father were walking into the room. The doors were kept open. Chansung drifted back against a far wall as everyone else pressed forward.

            “We have many spectators today, many who have been waiting patiently for many years for us to vote on these very important bills.” The Speaker began. “I ask that everyone take care in their words, take care in their views, and uphold the highest respect. Today you are voting on making official the Bills for Hybrid Rights and Freedoms, as well as the action to make the Charter of Rights for Hybrids and Half-Hybrids an official creed.”

            Chansung began to shake. This was not how he anticipated finding out how the decision on the bills would go.

            “Let us begin. Are there any questions, comments or discussion to be had before we move to voting?"

            An unsettling air arose, and many in the crowd shuffled anxiously. A couple times in the past discussion led to dismissal of the Bills.

            "Hearing none, we move to voting. To all voting members, I ask you all, all those in favour of making official law the Bills for Hybrid Rights and Freedoms, please raise your hand.”

            A deafening silence fell over the spectators.

            “All those not in favour?”

            A rumble began.

            “All those who abstain?”

            Chansung tightened his hands into fists..

            “In accordance with our procedures, the majority vote wins, voting members have passed the Bills for Hybrid Rights and Freedoms and will become law.”

            The aura of the room changed instantly. Shivers of anticipation sped up and down Chansung's arms and his back.

            “Before excitement gets the better of us, may we proceed to vote on the charter please?”

            Chansung was breathing heavily. The bill had passed. Hybrid rights were going to be official from now on.

            “In accordance with our procedures, and a hefty congratulations finally to Hwang Chung-Hee, Wang Fei-Fei, and River Kim, your bills as well as the Charter are official.”

            The crowd erupted. There was cheering, screaming, crying, laughter. People were hugging one another, collapsing to the floor. There was relief, there was sadness, happiness, anger, everything. Chansung witnessed it all.

            Chansung felt like his legs were going to give out. It seemed so...anti-climatic. His father had poured everything into making these bills official, to ensuring hybrids had rights. It always seemed so far away and that his father would be advocating for them until his last breath. And then, he saw them. He saw his father and Taecyeon coming through the crowd. Chansung watched as his father and Taecyeon were hugged, given flowers and gifts, it was surreal. Feeling himself step further away, Chansung leaned more heavily against the wall. He slowly slid down, the shock overcoming him. Taecyeon and his father really and truly succeeded, finally, after so many years.

            Then, her scent gripped him like a vice.

            Rising and turning, he found his mother standing silently a few paces from him; her gaze locked on him. Then, she was walking over.

            He had to get away, but he couldn’t.

            “Isn’t this great, Chansung? Your father finally did it.” She asked once she was close. The airiness in her voice did not match her stringent scent.

            “He did.” He answered shakily.

            Something was off about her, it was so very wrong and kept him on edge.

            “I suppose now the truth will finally be revealed.”

            Chansung edged away from her. Those words above all else angered him. “I deserved the truth years ago.”

            Aurora's gaze went cold, “just remember, I did everything to ensure you had a good life, Chansung. I did everything to protect you and nothing more.”

            “Your idea of protection is very different than mine. There’s a big difference between preservation of self and unconditional love.”

            “You dare say that to me when you know nothing.” She hissed.

            Chansung kept his ground, “and whose fault is that, huh? What do I know nothing about?”

            “Chan?” Surprised, Chansung turned and found Min-Jun. “Chansung, are you alright?” He asked as he came to stand beside him, his eyes on his mother.

            “Always the meddling bear, Min-Jun. I suppose now you can finally have your unnatural bliss with Taecyeon.”

            Chansung felt all his rage rise to the surface.

            Min-Jun held out an arm before him, however, his scent remained light and carefree. “At least I’m happy. Can’t say the same for you, can I?”

            “You shut up!”

            Min-Jun wrapped his arm around Chansung’s waist. “Why don’t you tell Chansung what you did to Yong-Sun, Aurora?”

            His mother’s pupils contracted and went vivid with anger. Her whole body tensed and her scent became volatile. “What have you done, Min-Jun?”

            “I’ve decided not to be scared anymore.”

            Aurora inhaled deeply and then hissed, “you brought him here!”

            “He wouldn’t have come if I didn’t introduce him to someone.” Min-Jun gestured to Chansung.

            “Min-Jun…” Chansung warned.

            “Chansung is my son!” His mother’s hair went white and her eyes blazed silver. “He’s my blood. He’s my cub!” She roared.

            “He is yours, Chung-Hee’s and Yong-Sun’s.” The bear reminded. "Don't you remember how happy you all were when he was born?"

            Chansung felt himself leaning more into Min-Jun.

            “He did not carry him. He is nothing of Yong-Sun’s.” Aurora was gasping. “Where are my babies?”

            “They’re safe. Unlike you, I don’t harm children, especially not intentionally.”

            Aurora ran at them, but Chansung stood his ground. He was not giving in now.

            Before he could do anything, his eyes widened as Yong-Sun stood before both him and Min-Jun. Aurora stumbled back and stared at him. Her chest and shoulders were heaving.

            "Come now, Aurora." Yong-Sun said calmly, but his scent was tinged with anger. "Don't make a scene on this most auspicious day. Shouldn't you be standing at Chung-Hee's side, like you always wanted?"

            "You dare stand between me and my son, you bastard."

            "Yes, I dare." Yong-Sun came to stand beside Chansung. "I dare to stand between you and our son."

            "Shut up! Why the hell are you back here?" She hissed, eyes livid.

            "I guess our son showed me what courage is." Yong-Sun said with a smile.

            Chansung gripped his hand and swallowed hard.

            "He is not your son." His mother seethed. "He never was, he never will be."

            “Mom, please, I just need to know the truth. Nothing needs to change-”

            She shook her head and raised her shaking hands. “I did everything to protect you. Please, I just wanted us to be a family, a normal, loving, beautiful family. Why must you do everything to destroy that?”

            Chansung walked forward and caught her hands, “I'm not. We could still be that. Please, before anyone else gets hurt, let’s start now. We have rights, mama. Aren’t you happy? We have rights.” He was pleading now, tugging at her hands, unsure of what else he could do to try and convince her.

            Aurora began to slowly shake her head, her eyes shifted behind him again to Yong-Sun, before looking over him once more. “I’ve lost you. I should never have let you leave.” She began to step back.

            “He’s a grown man, Aurora. You can’t control your children. They need to live their lives.” Min-Jun said coming to stand at Chansung’s side once more.

            “The only reason my son went looking and stumbled upon you in Fortune is because he was chasing after a silly dream, bear.” Of all the things she said, that stung Chansung the most. “Now look what you’ve done. I bet you dangled the information just out of his reach until he was completely under your whim, strung him along for some game. Let him go-”

            “He’s free to do as he pleases. Unlike you, I will never let him feel like he's imprisoned in a cage.”

            Aurora scoffed, “Cage? What about Wooyoung then? Did he feel free? Is he so secure in his person that he never doubts? After all, you abandoned him to that shelter, too. That wretched Abandoned is nothing, Min-Jun. He will never be anything, just like you. You’ve run your little haven for hybrids for years, but what good has it really done?”

            "How do you know all of this, Aurora?" Min-Jun asked, eyes fierce.

            "I keep tabs on all those who may endanger my family, by whatever means necessary, especially when one of them is the apparent Significant of one of Chung-Hee's co-workers. Especially a red eyes."

            Chansung was about to lose his mind. The image of Min-Jun's face as Chansung asked him why he brought Wooyoung to the shelter flashed in his mind.

            "How callous you are, Aurora. Is your only purpose in life to harm others? Is that all you are capable of?" Yong-Sun said as he came nearer, making his mother step back. "I knew you could be cruel, but this is maleficence."

            "It isn't cruelty, it is the truth." She scoffed vehemently. "Helping hybrids, what a sham-"

            "Your inferiority really makes you insecure, doesn't it?"

            Aurora seethed with vicious eyes, "how dare you try and place me below those wretched animals-"

            “Don’t you dare disrespect Wooyoung and Min-Jun in front of me. I've had to live with your...abuse for years, Aurora. Not anymore.” Chansung said as calmly as he could. "I will not let you harm anyone who is important to me ever again."

            His mother’s eyes went wide at his words, and Min-Jun gripped his hand.

            Aurora straightened herself up and fixed her clothes, trying to regain her composure. Chansung knew that calling her by her first name would instigate a certain response.

            “I only speak the truth,” she said with reserved venom. “Kim, we both know of what happened all those years ago and the impacts it’s had on all of us. We both know that how things were going were never meant to be-”

            “Keep telling yourself that, if that’s what helps you sleep at night. You told me it was fate but this was all your doing. Your massacre on your family and your loved ones ends here, Aurora.” Min-Jun swore. “Because whatever I find out, as more things come to light, I swear I won't rest until justice is served.”

            Chansung tightened his hold on Min-Jun’s hand.

            For many seconds, it seemed his mother would finally stop, but she laughed. “Justice, for who? I have no idea what you're talking about.” She straightened herself up. "This dream you've been chasing," she sniffed in Chansung’s direction, “all the while taking limiters because you are both alpha and omega. You're a male, my son, and males have needs, you especially. Once you get your fill of whatever that little bastard gives, I know you’ll move on.”

            "How dare you, Aurora." Yong-Sun all but snarled.

            If Chansung felt his heart had been shredded to pieces before, there was nothing left now.

            "Do you actually care about anyone other than yourself? Or, have the secrets become too heavy a burden to keep carrying?" Yong-Sun asked with level voice.

            "Shut up!" Aurora seethed. "What I said is the truth."

            "Truth?" Yong-Sun chuckled bitterly. "I don't think you know what the truth of anything is anymore. I don't know what happened to you, but I pity you, Aurora. I miss who you were. You did all of this...for what? It amazes me that Chung-Hee is still alive, sane."

            Her eyes widened as she looked upon Yong-Sun.

            "Or...have you spent all this time trying to ruin him, Aurora?"

            "You stand with them, my son?" Aurora asked, turning her gaze to Chansung. "Are you proud? I have invested so much of my life to protecting you, and yet you stand against me, with them?"

            It was Chansung’s turn to chuckle, “Yong-Sun's words really struck a cord, huh? How low you think of me now, huh?! For someone who has always touted to love me, I don’t think you really know what it is, do you?” Chansung walked forward until he was face to face with her. “You can try and pin the blame on everyone else that your picture perfect family was ruined, but you were the one who destroyed everything. Before I think of you as truly vile, leave.”

            Something in her eyes, something dark, changed to fear - to defeat. How she managed to recover, Chansung wasn't sure. But, this perseverance, Chansung wouldn't deny he inherited it from her. “We will speak again. Just tell me when you’re ready, and I’ll share my side of the story.”

            Chansung said nothing and stood strong.

            Realising he was not going to say anything more, she gave one more glance to Min-Jun only, and then turned to leave.

            Feeling his eyes beginning to burn, Chansung stumbled backwards. Firm hands took hold of him, and he was brought into both Min-Jun’s and Yong-Sun's embrace.

            “It’s alright, we’ve got you.” The bear said softly. "I've got you."

            The headache returned and lights flickered across his vision.

 

            Sniffling, and huddled down into a ball, Chansung hugged his legs to his body.

            “Chansung?”

            Looking up, Chansung buried his face into his knees. “Mama was yelling again, Min-Jun.”

            “At who?”

            “Daddy and papa.”

            “Don’t worry about that, Chan. Everything will be okay, I’ve got you.”

 

            Gasping, Chansung covered his eyes and leaned against Min-Jun more. “You’ve always been there, haven’t you, Min-Jun?” He asked.

            The bear sighed heavily and held him close. “Well, you’re just so very special to me.” He soothed. “Don’t worry about her. Focus on the good. We’ll deal with the terrible later, okay? Your father did it, Chansung.”

            "Yes, this should be a time to celebrate." Yong-Sun said with shaking voice.

            Chansung tried to smile, to feel excited, but he honestly just felt numb. He wanted to see his father. He needed to hear it from him, otherwise it wouldn’t be the truth.

            “I…” He tried. “I....”

            Min-Jun hugged him tightly, “it’s okay. He’ll be here soon.”

            “I...I can’t be here.”

            Yong-Sun turned him around and tugged him close, “be strong, don’t let it back inside you. Do you hear me?”

            Chansung’s lip trembled.

            “Chansung-”

            “It's going to hurt and hurt, isn't it?” He said and looked over Yong-Sun and then Min-Jun, “please, I want to go.”

            Min-Jun shook his head. “Please, just wait for your father. They've been working so hard on this, just see him for a little while.”

            Chansung wanted to tell him no, but he knew he would regret it if he left. His father was in front of him and wiping at his eyes.

            “We did it, Chansung!” He cheered, but then he was crying and opening his arms.

            Min-Jun was pushing him forward.

            He almost turned to run.

            Except, Yong-Sun was there, and he didn't look very happy either, but he gave a nod of his head.

            “Everything will be okay, Chansung. We’ve all fought so hard to get here.” His father said.

            Chansung shook his head and turned.

            "Okay? Everything will be okay?” Yong-Sun all but snarled.

            Chansung tried to stop him but it was too late.

            "Yong-sun-?"

            “You’re barely holding yourself together, Chung-Hee. Look at you,” Yong-sun walked forward and gripped his shoulders. “Look at you..." Yong-Sun was trembling. "You're in so much pain, my leopard."

            Chansung hugged himself. He couldn't imagine what hurts they were both experiencing.

            "Even if they were passed, let’s be honest here, okay? All these years, you, me, Taecyeon, Min-Jun, Teri, Mei, Chansung, everyone, we have all had to sacrifice. It has been years of literal agony.”

            “Yong-Sun…”

            "She tore us apart, Chung-Hee. For what? I failed you and our son." Yong-Sun released him and staggered back. "Damnit it, Min-Jun, why did you bring me here?"

            The bear held up his hands and exhaled deeply. “Listen, because I'm only going to say this once," he raised his hand to Taecyeon made to say something. "Taecyeon, my love, please...give me this just once." The wolverine nodded. "I am so damn tired. I'm literally exhausted. I may be passed the point of recovery, I'm not sure anymore." He closed his eyes and took calming breaths. "I'm mad because I have been out there keeping my door open for whoever should wander in, to give them a home. I have seen first hand why we needed the win you both have fought for tirelessly all these years. And, I had to bury the memories of twenty years ago - I had to! I had to for the sake of my sanity. We all experienced devastation and I wanted to give up so badly. And then, this sweet little boy asked me if he vanished would it erase my pain - my cub, and I've been trapped in that moment over and over. I want to be free! I couldn't take not seeing him or Chansung happy. To watch as she literally tore everyone down, I abided by like an scared fool letting you all carry on with this fear - no more! I'm tired!”

            Chansung could hear the absolute frustration in Min-Jun’s voice.

            “When Chansung came back through my door, not remembering anything - not healed, it broke me inside all over again. Not only that, but he's been hurt over and over again all these years. Not a day goes by that I regret not having the courage to save him from her. Even on a day when we should all be celebrating, because some people are so vile and full of hatred, we are hurting - again! Yong-Sun, how could I not bring you here when you've been living a half life, huh?!" Min-Jun gripped his shirt and then faced Chansung's father once more. "How could you, Chung-Hee? How could you let her do this to him? You bastard, why couldn't you have just given him to me?!"

            Rattled, Chansung began to sniffle, he looked over his father who looked nothing short of beaten.

            “Because, he’s my cub.” His father said, simply.

            It was so simple, but it meant everything to Chansung. His father had placed himself between Aurora and everyone else, trying to curb her violence. He did all of it alone. He gave up so much of what he held dear, and he just kept pushing for Hybrid rights because he wanted everyone to be safe, to be protected. Chansung realised it now. They were doing what he mother did, punish his father. And he didn’t want to be like his mother.

            Walking into his father’s arms, Chansung broke down and cried. He held his father tightly, so tight he knew it must have hurt, but his father returned it in kind.

            “I know it hurts, but I’m so happy you’re here today.” His father cried softly. “You brought everyone together, and that is a miracle in my eyes." He whispered. "From here on, I swear, I’ve got you.” His father said over and over. “I’m sorry, for so many things,” followed brokenly.

            It was a while before he was calm, but Chansung managed to look over his father. “I need to be honest, dad.”

            “It’s okay. Min-Jun is right, what father am I to have stood by so selfishly, holding onto a dream that was stolen? What father indeed...”

            Worrying his bottom lip until it bled, Chansung brushed his thumb over his father’s cheek. “I need you so much but I need just a little more space. I just need a day. I’m...I’m so proud of you. I want to celebrate with you, but I just need a little time.” He never wanted to see his father broken, because now, seeing it before him, tore Chansung to pieces. “I just need to know that you love me because I’ve had one parent stolen from me because of another, and now they’re rejecting me anyway. I’m so confused about a lot of things. It feels like I’m breaking inside, so…”

            “I love you, cub.” His father said without hesitation, with the warmest and most hopeful smile.

            Chansung gasped and allowed himself to be pulled closer.

            “I haven’t been the father you needed. I’ve made so many mistakes. I’ve done so many wrong things and I can’t take them back. I can only hope that when you come to know the truth, I’ll still have you. I need you, cub. I fought every day with the hope that you and your siblings could have had a better life than mine, that was filled with love, happiness and the security to be who you want to be. That all those I love would be afforded the rights they so deserve, to have the chance to live the lives they want. It might be too late, but I will be there, as much as you want and let me.” He said desperately.

            Chansung gripped his arms and kept him close. He had needed to hear those words so much. “Thank you, dad.”

            His father smiled but then he was falling. Moving with him to the floor, Yong-Sun, Taecyeon and Min-Jun all reached out. His father's hands trembled and tightened on Chansung's arms. He looked so utterly tired.

            "I'm sorry, dad." He said suddenly, quietly. "I can't imagine how much you're hurting." He hugged his father tightly. He could feel it all, the pain, the sadness, the wounds that had never closed.

            “I’m sorry I broke our home." His father whispered. "I thought if I worked hard enough I could mend it, fix it, but I can’t. I can’t fix it, Chansung.” He cried, so terribly hard. "Yong-Sun, I'm sorry. I..."

            Yong-Sun knelt beside them and brushed at Chung-Hee's cheeks. "Enough now, Chung-Hee. We all should've been there beside you. I should have been beside you."

            Chansung shook his head and held his face. "Dad, you didn't break our home. You did everything to try and keep it together. You did your best." He said, looking him over. "You don't have to fix it, okay?" He said and hugged his father close again. “You don’t need to fix it, you can make a new one, okay? We can make a new one.”

            His father was very much surprised by his words. Chansung was too.

            “Whatever it looks like, I know you’ll be able to do it in time. It’s going to be painful, but that new house is going to be grand. We are going to be resilient.”

            His father was smiling, albeit sadly, and he said with such a powerful voice, “I am so proud of you.”

            It filled Chansung with so much hope and strength, he grasped onto it. “Ae Cha and Kai miss you. I’ll tell auntie Mei to come and get them.”

            “I can wait. I would love for you all to come when you're ready.”

            Chansung smiled, “it’s just me, okay? They need you, and you need them.”

            Chung-Hee nodded, “alright.”

            “Mr. Hwang and Mr. Kim, would it be possible to get a few words? We’re sure you’re still very emotional over the passing of the bills, but we would like to get some statements.”

            “I'll provide statements,” Taecyeon answered. "I would like to give my family some privacy."

            Chansung rested his hand against his father's forehead. He was burning up. "We need to take him home." He said to Min-Jun and Yong-Sun.

            "No, no Chansung." His father stood up and adjusted his clothes. "I don't deserve that kindness." He rested his hand against Chansung's cheek.

            Coming to stand, Chansung gripped his father's hand.

            "Chung-Hee!" Min-Jun almost cried.

            "Come when you're ready." Chung-Hee said and gave Chansung one final hug.

            Chansung watched him go. His heartbeat was heavy as he watched him join Taecyeon. In that moment, he couldn't help but smile sadly. Chansung was so very much like his father, through and through. For now, he would let it slide. Turning to Yong-Sun and Min-Jun, he found both desperation and frustration. What hurt the most was Yong-Sun looked utterly devastated.

            Chansung brought Yong-Sun close to him and rested his forehead against Min-Jun’s. “What would we all do without you, Min-Jun?”

            “I’m not even going to think about that.” Min-Jun said quietly.

            "I don't want to think about it either." Yong-Sun whispered, and Chansung held him tighter.

            Min-Jun brushed at his eyes, “come on, you giant cubs, I need to get you both to comfort.”

            "I've got to stay." Yong-Sun said. "I have to."

            Both Chansung and Min-Jun were stunned to silence.

            "Yong-Sun..." Min-Jun whispered.

            Yong-Sun smiled and shook his head. "I made the mistake of leaving him once. I won't do it again. I won't rush, but I have to do this, for him. And, for my own well-being."

            Chansung smiled and nodded. He turned back to Min-Jun and tugged at his hand. "Please take me back to Wooyoung."

            Min-Jun hesitated only once more before letting Chansung pull him away. As they left the building, Chansung gripped Min-Jun's hand even tighter and looked at him.

            “You really love me, huh?” He asked Min-Jun.

            The bear slapped his arm, “how dare you!”

*

            By the time they got in the door Chansung felt like he was going to really collapse. He was aching all over and craved sleep. He was also on auto-pilot. He knew Min-Jun was speaking to his aunt Mei, his siblings were also asking questions, but he walked passed and made his way down the hall.

            Coming into the room, Wooyoung turned and smiled, but it quickly faded. “What happened?”

            Shutting the door, Chansung leaned against it and shut his eyes.

            Wooyoung’s gentle hands smoothed over his arms and up to his neck, “please tell me.”

            “What did my mother give you in Fortune?”

            Wooyoung shook his head, “not right now.”

            “Yes now, please? I want to know why you pushed me away.”

            This caused Wooyoung to sigh but Chansung didn’t relent. “Don’t you think you’re trying to handle too much all at once?”

            Chansung looked down and cleared his throat, “perhaps, to be honest I didn’t think it was going to all come rushing out. I want it to slow down, but at the same time I just want it all out. I want to know.” He was nearly begging at this point.

            “What if I want you to slow down? What if I want to know what happened?”

            Chansung swallowed hard. Wooyoung moved back from him, which made him panic until he was tugging him towards the bed.

            “You don’t have to tell me everything, but you’re not keeping it in, either.” Wooyoung said firmly and sat him down. He knelt on the floor and gripped his hands. “At least tell me what happened with the bills.”

            Surprised, Chansung smiled briefly, “they passed. They’re going to be made official.”

            Wooyoung froze, and then his ears and tail appeared, “what?!”

            Suddenly, a weight was lifted from Chansung’s mind and body. Wooyoung’s disbelief as well as his euphoria began filling him up completely, diminishing the negative feelings at least a little. “Majority voted for passing them into law.”

            Wooyoung’s eyes became so bright, tears filled his eyes, and his scent - oh his scent was so very wonderful. “Really? Chansung, really?”

            Nodding, Chansung leaned down, “we have rights.”

            Wooyoung tugged him down and kissed him heavily. The happiness, the bliss, so many emotions filled Chansung to the brim.

            “Mm, wait, wait,” Wooyoung leaned back and hopped up, “I need to slap Min-Jun for leaving me!”

            Chansung laughed and watched him race out. Coming to stand, he made his way out into the hall and watched Wooyoung leap onto Min-Jun’s back.

            “Yah! I wanted to be there!”

            “Wooyoung!”

            Chansung couldn’t help but laugh once more.

            “I know you’ve waited a long time, but I waited too!” Wooyoung almost yelled and then he was crying. “I’m free…”

            “Brother Wooyoung!”

            “What’s going on?”

            Chansung looked on with immense fondness.

            “You’re free, cub. We all are.”

            Gripping his shirt, Chansung felt light-headed.

 

            “One day we will be free, my sweet kitten. His mother cooed. “We will all be free.”

 

            A cold sweat broke out on his forehead. His breathing became heavy and he turned back into the room. Coming to lie on the bed, he began to shake horribly. He should be happy, not anxious and panicky. His heart throbbed terribly and chills ruptured all over his body. Right now, he could do nothing but feel the agony. There was nothing else anymore. It was all too much.

            The price for finally being free, was far more steep than he had ever imagined.

*

Next Chapter...A Despicable Letter