A Letter of Release

How Far Until Footprints Vanish - Undergoing Revision and Finalization

A Letter of Release

*

                Chansung felt groggy as he made his way into the kitchen. Min-Jun and Nichkhun were already sorting through things. The bear pointed to breakfast which he happily went towards, loaded a plate and sat himself down to eat. Wooyoung followed soon, dressed for the day and sat across from him. Soon they were up and cleaning out the kitchen. Junho came by for the morning shift and opened the bakery. In no time everything was neat and tidy, Min-Jun and Wooyoung were baking, Nichkhun was running errands, and Chansung was sitting with Junho at the counter.

                “You smell different.” Junho observed and rested his chin in his palm.

                Looking down, he smiled nervously, “how so?”

                “Don’t know, it’s more calming than before...but it’s strange.” Junho said and glanced over him. “Don’t tell me you found a random partner and did the dirty with them?”

                Chansung couldn’t help throwing his head back and laughing. He did not expect Junho to ask him about it like that.

                “Hey! What’s so funny? Did you really do that?!”

                “Oh, so curious.” He said and tried to calm him down. “Relax, relax, unless you're jealous?”

                Junho’s face went hot red, and his eyes and mouth shot wide open. “Shut up! No!”

                “Oh! You’re too cute.” He pulled him close and snuggled him.

                “Chansung! Cut it out!” Junho’s ears and tail appeared faster than Chansung could blink.

                “Hmmm...your ears and tail tell me everything.” He snickered.

                Junho nearly fell over from the embarrassment, his face and neck – even his ears – everything was completely red. “You’re teasing me too much!”

                Chansung laughed and ruffled his hair. “Alright, alright, calm down, I’ll stop.” He cooed.

                “Liar...you’ve been hanging around Wooyoung so I can’t trust you.” He said with a betrayed look.

                Chansung laughed loudly. "I promise not to tease you too much."

                The pup relaxed some but sniffled. “Thank you.”

                Chansung smiled.

                Hearing the bell jingle, he turned his attention to the door and his breath caught in his throat.

                “Welcome to Fortune Bakery!” Junho greeted with his usual cheery smile.

                She smiled like the sun, like always, amber eyes twinkling. “Hello Paws.”

                Chansung rose from his seat. He couldn’t believe it. She laughed as she rested a hand on her stomach before turning away and looking out while waving her other out the door. Chansung slowly made his way around the counter. Soon enough, five heads popped into view from behind the door frame.

                Stunned by the sudden appearance of his siblings, Chansung was in utter disbelief.

                “Oh! Big brother!” Snow called.

                “Brother!” Serenity charged forward first.

                Kneeling down he caught her in his arms. Soon he was completely surrounded.

                “What are you all doing here?!” He asked and picked up both Kaiden and Ae Cha. “Fei! You’re due in-"

                “Five and a half weeks. My husband was not happy let me tell you.” She closed the door behind her.

                “Yeah, Uncle Sookie-pants was cryin' at the train station!” Cho Hee laughed and raced around. “Where’s Uncle Kim? Hello Junho!” She hauled Serenity and Snow over. “These are my twin siblings Snow and Serenity!” She introduced.

                Junho smiled, “it’s nice to finally meet you altogether.”

                “Uncle Kim is in the back, Cho Hee.” Chansung said softly.

                She tugged their siblings inside.

                Ae Cha snuggled into his neck and held him tight. “Big brudder, I missed you.”

                “I missed you too babe.” He said softly. Kaiden was already completely asleep.

                “Sheesh, I knew he wasn’t going to last.” Fei chuckled.

                “Oh! We have more visitors.” Nichkhun said as he wandered into the front. “Eh! Chansung are those your children?!”

                “Really?" Chansung sighed and raised his brow at him, "no, these are my youngest siblings.”

                Ae Cha held him tighter and was wary suddenly.

                “It’s okay babe. He’s nice.”

                “Sorry,” Nichkhun said, “well come into the back, we can’t have an expectant mother standing.”

                “Oh! A chair would be lovely.” Fei said and breezed past him. “You might want to sit down, Paws. We have some good news for you.”

                The gut feeling he had the night before rose up again.

                Following her into the back, Cho Hee, Snow and Serenity had completely surrounded Wooyoung who was decorating cheesecakes. His breath caught in his throat. Wooyoung was smiling so fondly and his siblings were pressed into his sides completely, eagerly watching what he was doing.

                “Wow! Mr. Wooyoung you’re really good.” Serenity said. “Can I try?”

                “Of course, what colour icing do you want?”

                “Purple please!” She cheered.

                “Well, well, this must be the lovely Fei that my Taecyeon speaks so highly of.” Min-Jun said. "It's nice to meet you in person after hearing about how wonderful you are through my partner."

                Fei shook his hand, “it’s nice to finally meet you too, Elder.”

                “Oh come now, come now, we’re pretty much family.” Min-Jun said.

                Hearing Wooyoung laugh Chansung’s attention returned to him. Serenity had gotten icing all over her hand. “You little trickster you just wanted icing.”

                Serenity laughed, “yeah, I did.”

                “Uncle Kim! Can I help make something?” Cho Hee asked and hugged him tight.

                Chansung had to take a step back. He was so overwhelmed. Feeling a hand at his back, he looked down at Junho.

                “You alright?” The pup asked.

                Chansung shook his head.

                “What a big and wonderful surprise, hey?”

                This time he nodded.

                “Well, don’t be so quiet. They’ve travelled a long way.” Junho pushed him in.

                Chansung took a seat beside Fei and was surrounded immediately by his siblings again. He was doing everything in his power to not cry, but he didn’t think he would last.

                “Alright, whose hungry?” Min-Jun asked.

                “Me!”

                “I am too!”

                “Brudder I want food.” Ae Cha said.

                “Serenity, come take your sister please.” He said.

                “Come sis, let’s go eat something.” Serenity said. She kissed him on the cheek before carrying on up the stairs.

                Chansung looked down at Kaiden and brushed his hands over his head.

                “He looks exhausted.” Wooyoung said as he crouched beside him. “Want me to bring him to the guest room?”

                Shaking his head, he took a deep breath and thanked him quietly. Wooyoung’s fingers trailed along the back of his neck and he felt instant calm.

                Finally, he looked over at her. Fei was smiling softly and had her chin in both her hands.

                “Chung-Hee told me that Cho Hee almost gave away the news.” She chuckled.

                “What’re you doing here?” He asked softly. “I...I’m so happy.”

                Fei covered her eyes before rising and hugging him tight. “You big dummy.” She stood back and looked him over. “Don’t you know how scared I was?”

                Chansung almost couldn’t meet her eyes. “Fei-"

                “No! I’m sure...I’m sure you’ve heard enough about it, but my babies are going to see their uncle, you idiot.” She smacked his shoulder and re-took her seat.

                “Uncle Kim!” Cho Hee laughed from upstairs.

                Chansung couldn’t help but smile. “Seriously, what are all of you doing here? What about-"

                Fei held up a letter as Wooyoung and Min-Jun came back down the stairs.

                “This,” she said.

                Fei set it on the table and slid it over to him.

                Chansung caught sight of the seal of the Department of Justice. His gaze flickered back up to her. “Are they finally going to make an official arrest or something?”

                “No Paws,” She said, eyes twinkling again.

                Chansung swiped up the letter and opened it. Taking the letter out he skimmed it quickly.

               

                Hwang Chansung,

 

                We are writing to inform you that all charges by the Research Department responsible for seeking Foxes have been dropped. You are no longer on the official wanted list and have been pardoned of all other charges. Your research into showing the benefits of Hybrid-only spaces with the Wolves of Nocturna and the Bird Colonies of Rivena show your dedication to providing rights for all.

                The Department of Justice has also re-opened both of the cases concerning the attemped attacks on your family. As we are reviewing evidence, you will likely be called forth to provide a statement if you are willing. This will occur in the new year.

                At this time, we would like to offer our sincerest apologies for any grievances you might have, and we hope-

 

                He crushed the letter in his hand.

                “Oi, oi, oi I wanted to read it.” Min-Jun grumbled as he took it from him. “Not everyone gets a letter from the Department of Justice.”

                “Isn’t it great?!” Fei cheered, “you're finally free!”

                Chansung felt as if the world had been turned upside down. It felt surreal. He was beyond relieved that the chase for him was finally over, but at the same time now he had no excuse: he could go home. Yet, he felt torn.

                “Chansung, isn’t this great!?” Min-Jun said as he read through the letter, overly ecstatic. He gripped Chansung's shoulder, his hand trembling.

                Not being able to look up at Min-Jun, Chansung knew he wouldn't be able to hide his conflicted emotions. He needed to go somewhere. He needed to run for a bit. He didn’t care where. He rose to his feet but Wooyoung stood between him and the door.

                “Please don’t stop me-"

                “I won't, give me Kaiden first.” Wooyoung said and held out his arms.

                Chansung looked down at his brother.

                “Chansung, where are you going?” Fei asked worriedly.

                Slowly resting Kaiden in Wooyoung’s arms, Chansung leaned down and kissed Wooyoung's cheek and whispered, “I just...need a little space.”

                “Don’t be gone too long. They’ll want to see you.” Wooyoung said softly looking up at him with understanding.

                Nodding, he transformed.

                Wooyoung opened the door and let him out. He glanced back up at him and found a smile. He burned it into his mind. Wooyoung was looking upon him with understanding and gave him a small wave of encouragement. 

                Chansung turned. He ran into the woods for as long and as far as he could. He didn’t know where, he just needed solace for a little bit. He came to a steep ravine and perched himself in a tree.

                “Freedom...” He murmured and leaned against the trunk. “I am free.”

                He wasn't sure how long he was actually seated in the tree, but the unmistakable sound of that bell jingle had him looking around. He caught sight of something white again, running through the forest. He dropped down and chased it.

                "Please wait!" He called.

                Skirting around trees, the fast moving figure made his heart race.

                Then the trees became very familiar. The small trail of footprints lay before him, and a large pool of water rested in a grove not far away; the hybrid he was chasing seated at it's edge. He stopped in his tracks. He realised that he walked this very path, over and over. Then, it dawned on him. Time and time again he had seen these trees, exactly as they stood in guiding lines to a place he recalled now only in his dreams. Taking a tentative step forward the hybrid dove into the water with a splash of white. Before he could get closer, the jingle sounded and he found the white fox mother seated before him.

                "No, leopard, you must not go that way yet."

                "What is this place?"

                "A link to the Realm, with a more ancient spirit within guarding the doorway." She explained. "You must go home. It is not yet time."

                "We've..." He looked over her. "We have met before, haven't we..?"

                "In a way, yes, when you were very young." She answered. "I cannot let you pass, not without the silver one and the jewel charm."

                Chansung gazed around the forest leading up to the pool longingly. He was so damn close!

                "Please."

                He nodded, "alright. What's the jewel charm?"

                "It was taken when you lost your memories by a woman who made a bargain with the great fox spirit."

                "Do you know who?" He asked, his heart thudding hard against his ribcage.

                "I only know that it was a woman from her voice and that she had red eyes; everything else was hidden, even her scent."

                The woman again. Chansung didn't ignore the unsettling feeling anymore. "Do you know who might know?"

                "Unfortunately, no, leopard. Do you know any female hybrids with red eyes that are close to you?"

                He sighed and shook his head. No one he knew fit that description. The only red eyes were Taecyeon and Min-Jun, perhaps they would know someone.

                "Well, I know the time will come when all is revealed, I promiseYou will have all your answers, but please leave from here now and come together with the small silver one and the charm."

                "Am I close to him?"

                The fox mother chuckled, "again, kit, you know that you are, you are so very close."

               "Is there...a reason why you didn't tell me about all this before?"

               The fox spirit lowered her head, "yes, I'm sorry. I...I'm not supposed to, technically. But..." She looked up. "I'm tired of all the pain."

               Chansung sighed, "you've done so much for me already. I'll find the red eye and the jewel charm."

                *

                By the time Chansung returned to the bakery it was late evening. He could hear the laughter of his siblings, which caused him to walk faster. Soon he was coming through the fence. Snow, Serenity and Cho Hee were building a snowman with Junho and Wooyoung. It was big! Seating himself in the snow he watched them play. Wooyoung and Junho looked just as happy as his siblings. He wanted to be happy, but, in all honesty, whatever was coming made him nervous.

                “Oh! Big brother!”

                Soon they were all running towards him, tackling him to the ground. He rolled around, playfully nipped at them and them. Soon they were all laid out on the snow, panting and laughing.

                “We missed you, brother.” Snow said softly and sat beside him. “Everything was...really hard up until now. I hope you're not mad we're here. Papa said it was okay, and sis Fei said she would come with us. We really wanted to see you.”

                "I'm not mad you're here. Never ever think that." Chansung nuzzled into his lap.

                “Brother, will you be coming home?” Cho Hee asked hesitantly as she huddled into Snow.

                Serenity's expression conveyed the same question but she said nothing.

                “Don’t know how you can say no to them, Chansung.” Wooyoung teased as he knelt on the other side.

                Rising to a seated position he took a deep breath. “Why don’t the three of you go inside? I need to speak with Wooyoung.”

                Snow sighed, “alright. Wooyoung can we make hot chocolate and cookies?”

                “Of course,” he said, “but only if your brother is okay with it.”

                Three expectant sets of gold and silver eyes peered at him.

                “Why did you do that to me?” He growled and pawed at Wooyoung’s leg. “Yes, but you better go in now.

                “Junho, can you start making the batter for chocolate chip cookies?”

                “Yep! Come on guys.” Junho said and held out his hand.

                They all raced over and crowded around him.

                As soon as they were inside, Chansung turned back to Wooyoung.

                “They're so cute, Chansung.” He said fondly, but then he sighed. “Fei was upset after you left-"

                “Wooyoung, I'm...I have reasons for not wanting to go to the Capital. But, in all honesty, I'm just not sure what my next steps should be. So...” He sighed. "So, I'm out of sorts with what to do."

                That made the enigmatic man very quiet. Their eyes connected and Chansung sat closer.

                “Well, my obvious statement is going to be that you should go home. Tell me what you're feeling.”

                “I guess I'm scared. It's been a long time since I was home, and I have other apprehensions.”

                "Okay," Wooyoung tilted his head, "does this have anything to do with the re-opening of the assault cases on your family?"

                Chansung sighed, "yes."

                "Well, what do you need to do to prepare for it if they call on you?" Wooyoung asked and rested his hand against his neck. "Why are you scared?"

                “I finally feel like I’ve found my place, and it’s right here, in Fortune. It's surreal and weird to me. I feel like I'm really close to getting answers, so close, so I'm apprehensive and conflicted about going."

                "Yeah, okay, but you could come back. Maybe resting at home would be a good thing. You've had a stressful couple of months, and not only that the vote on the bills will be happening soon. You could be there with your dad-"

                Chansung changed back and cupped his face, “I want to stay by your side. I want to be here when that happens.”

                Wooyoung’s face heated beneath his hands. Slowly he reached up and held Chansung's hands. “I can't handle you when you're like this...”

                Chansung grinned, “really?”

                “You’re going to get a chill.”

                As if on cue, Chansung felt instant cold and changed back.

                Wooyoung bopped him on the head and sighed.

                “Now tell me, what makes you apprehensive?”

                “Baron spoke about a woman who tipped off the researchers that my family was going to be here, in Fortune, 20 years ago...” Chansung paused and took a deep breath. "What concerns me is I always thought the accident happened when my younger siblings were born. Not before. We were attacked in Aninnik, I am sure of that, everyone knows about that one. It's like...whatever my dream is about meshed with the memories of the second bombing incident. So, then, the fox I met at the festival told me whoever this woman was she had red eyes and made a bargain with the fox spirit."

                "A female hybrid with red eyes?"

                Chansung nodded.

                "Well, we can definitely ask Min-Jun and see if he remembers, and Teri too. If anyone would know it would be either of them. But, I honestly don't know any female hybrids with red eyes.” Wooyoung said with a smile. "It sounds like you've been getting somewhere, at least. For the time being, what's say you spend more time with your siblings."

                Chansung exhaled through his nose and looked up at him. "I don't really want to go back, Wooyoung."

                "But what if there are answers there?"

                Chansung growled slightly and bowed his head.

                "It's not like you couldn't come back after indulging in your siblings, being home, being there during the vote, Fei's babies being born, resting and starting out refreshed. Doesn't that sound good? Because that sounds absolutely amazing to me."

                Looking up at him again, Chansung edged closer to him. "Of course it does...I just don't want to leave you."

                Wooyoung hugged him close. "I appreciate you thinking about me, considering me, and sharing with me. It makes me happy that you feel comfortable to confide in me. This isn't the end of the world. I just...I want to help you, and I'll be honest, I can't fully until those bills are passed. That's why I'm hopeful they will be, because there's...there's a lot that I want to tell you. I just can't yet, and I hope when that day finally comes..." Wooyoung trailed off and was holding him tighter. "I'm sorry, Chansung."

                "Hey, there's no need for apologies. I can wait until then."

                "Wooyoung! Can you make cookies with us now?!" Ae Cha practically screamed into the backyard.

                Chansung couldn't help laughing and was joined by Wooyoung. Though, he could still feel that deep sadness, so he would just have to be patient.

                "Yes, I'm coming now." He called and then brushed his hands over Chansung's ears and ruffled his neck. "I'm scared, too." He admitted and then rose up.

                Following after him, Chansung looked back to the forest. He knew that Wooyoung had answers, and Min-Jun likely did too, but he would be patient. He was good at waiting, even better at seeking and finding answers. What he knew for sure was that things were going to be revealed more and more from now on. He was terrified of it, but also very much looking forward to understanding it all.

*

Next Chapter...Surrounded By Love