The Ones Who Wait

How Far Until Footprints Vanish - Undergoing Revision and Finalization

The Ones Who Wait

*

Wooyoung POV

*

Earlier that morning...

                Wooyoung looked out into the dark of his room. It was so silent and he felt odd - uncomfortable. Sitting up instantly, he looked out the window, a weird feeling in his gut. Turning back to look about his room he saddened a little and hugged his legs close to his chest. He didn’t like this feeling and he thought it was finally going to be gone. Laying back down his eyes remained wide open. No matter how long he lay there his body wouldn’t give into the rest he so desperately wanted.

                “You’re so pathetic...” He murmured and got out of bed.

                Making his way into the hallway he paused outside the guest room. Closing his eyes, he could just see him. He just wanted to see him, was that so bad? Chansung’s request coupled with the look he gave him the night before really did things to him. He was such an idiot cat. He knew he was feeling guilty, but it’s not like he needed to, Wooyoung wasn’t his partner or anything like that. It really got him experiencing all sorts of feelings that he wasn't prepared for and it made him groan.

                Not wasting another second, he raced down into the kitchen and began making bread. He took out his frustrations on what he made. He was so caught up in what he was doing that he didn’t notice Min-Jun’s approach. Warm hands smoothed over his arms and he was hugged tightly from behind.

                “Babe...” Min-Jun whined and kissed his shoulder. “Why are you up so early and making a racket?” He asked as he began rocking him back and forth.

                “I couldn’t sleep...” He answered. It was the truth. He really couldn’t.

                “Jang Wooyoung, you don’t just come down here and start baking because you can’t sleep.” Min-Jun sighed and began to rub the back of his neck.

                The sensation of the gentle touch caused him to collapse against him completely. The exhaustion in his body became very evident. He absolutely detested it when Min-Jun did this, he could never escape, and it felt so good. 

                “I’m tired and frustrated...” He finally admitted.

                “Yeah, you were tired and frustrated two weeks ago, but this is something completely different.”

                Wooyoung nibbled on his bottom lip and let Min-Jun pull him onto his lap. “There’s too much happening right now. I didn’t think...I’d get this close to someone, or want to, especially him. And I didn’t think papa would come back and not just leave...”

                Min-Jun exhaled noisily and hugged him firmly. “You’re scared to get close to him – to both of them...”

                Wooyoung whined and nodded, but Min-Jun wouldn’t let him go. Honestly, he didn’t know why he even tried to get away.

                “He’s looking for a fox, Min-Jun. All because of a dream about a memory. Coming here...I’m surprised he came back and he's here. I just...feel all torn up inside and conflicted. I shouldn't be feeling so anxious about that. Also, why is Taecyeon staying so long anyway? He never does.”

                Min-Jun brushed back his hair and kissed his forehead, “Well, I can’t decide for you what to do about Chansung, that’s going to have to be your call. I, personally, am very happy and think you are being silly. You're driving him to his wits end by hiding your scent, and you're also causing yourself pain at the same time." He chided lightly and ran his thumb across his cheek. "As for your papa, well, I just wanted him to stay home with us. ”

                Wooyoung’s sighed and he gave him a small smile. “He's working so hard, though. You're being so mean to him – "

                “Yes, but, I needed him here. I'm tired too – "

                “This has to stop!” Wooyoung managed to free himself. “I don't care what happens to me anymore. I just want...I just want you both happy. You know I want him to stay home, too, but this is bigger than all of us." He cried softly. "You – you’re going to – at this rate Min-Jun-"

                Those comforting hands cupped his face. “I love him, and I love you, my babe. Taecyeon's life and mine have been complicated for a long time, but I know our lives are taking us down this road for a reason. I realise I haven’t always been the best role model for you, and you have every right to be angry at me.” Wooyoung shook his head furiously. “You were always allowed to leave when you wished, and I can honestly say that it made me happy that you stuck it out with me all these years. But, my babe, it wouldn't have hurt me if you wanted to go. I want you happy the most.”

                Wooyoung whimpered as Min-Jun rubbed their noses together.

                “You are my cub.”

                Wooyoung held him tighter.

                “I know we’re going through a lot right now, and I will admit I've made some silly decisions, but you’re confused about a lot of things, too, weary of others. Somehow, as always, I know we’ll make it; we always do, babe.” Min-Jun said softly and brushed back his hair. “Whatever condition we’re in we’ll make it together. Just...remember that we’re allowed to let people in, we’re allowed to trust, and heal.” He said soothingly and hugged him tight.

                Wooyoung nodded and rubbed at his cheeks.

                “Now, go get Junho. We have a busy day ahead of us.”

                “Okay...”

                “Hey,” Min-Jun kissed his forehead. “I love you.”

                Wooyoung broke into quiet sobs. This was all too much for him.

                *

                Hopping into the truck, Wooyoung started off towards Junho’s place. He felt a little more relieved and less tense. How had his life changed so much in just a couple months? He felt like he had been wandering down a solitary path and then all of sudden he was being spun in circles, not knowing which way to go. Turning onto Junho’s street, he was met with police cars. His whole body tensed instantly. Parking just outside the perimeter, he got out and sped forward. Junho’s adoptive parents were outside speaking with the police.

                “Mrs. Lee?” He called.

                “Wooyoung! Thank heavens!” She raced over to him. “He’s gone, Wooyoung! We went to check on him and he wasn’t in his room. His shoes were missing and he was just gone! He hasn’t been home! Have you seen him?”

                Wooyoung felt his legs grow weak and he shook his head slowly.

                “It was the Catchers, Wooyoung.” Mr. Lee said.

                He turned to him and his legs gave out. ‘No, not again...’ He thought.

                “Easy now, Wooyoung.” Mr. Lee said as he helped him back to his feet. “The police are already out looking. Rasha told us that he went out last night because he got a message from Min saying she needed help. We’ve already been in touch with Min and she said she didn’t send him any messages last night.” He explained. Wooyoung could see his hands shaking. “Someone...sent our son a message, disguised as his friend, and lured him out...”

                Wooyoung stared at the pavement. He needed to tell Min-Jun. If the Catchers took him the night before they couldn’t have gotten too far. “I...I need to use your phone.”

                His hands were shaking as he walked up with them. The apartment seemed very empty as he walked in, devoid of emotion. He picked up the phone and dialed home.

                ~Hello?~

                Wooyoung swallowed hard at the sound of Taecyeon’s voice. “P...Papa-"

                ~Babe, what’s wrong?~ His tone conveyed his concern.

                “Pa, they took – Junho’s gone – they think it was the Catchers because of how suspicious his disappearance is – papa what are we...” He trailed off as he was overcome by stress and fear again. “I’m scared...”

                ~Shh, just relax, I want you to come straight home, alright? Take some deep breaths, babe.~

                Wooyoung did as told. “Papa...why do they have to keep doing this to us..?” He asked and shut his eyes tight. “Why don’t they listen to you..?” He sobbed and rubbed at his eyes.

                ~They don’t understand and I’m obviously not working hard enough...~

                Wooyoung gathered himself up and shook his head. “You do too much. I’m coming home.” He said and waited.

                ~I’ll be waiting.~

                Setting the phone back down he ran out and back to the truck. He had only one thing on his mind: make it home. His heart was racing a mile a minute and he didn’t know what was going to happen. Someone else made contact with Junho, and that was the only thing that Wooyoung could focus on. It might have been the Catchers themselves but he couldn’t help thinking it was someone else. Pulling into the driveway he raced into the house and walked into tension. Min-Jun and Taecyeon were face to face, auras completely unleashed. Chansung had edged back some.

                “Min-Jun...Min-Jun what’re we going to do?” He asks immediately. "They took him!"

                “You are going to stay here,” Min-Jun said with cool voice. This wasn’t good. Something happened, perhaps not this morning, but whatever happened between Taecyeon and Min-Jun his guardian was ready to explode. This was the worst time for something like this. “He might escape and come here, you never know.”

                Nodding, not wanting to escalate Min-Jun’s anger, he began to shake. “Why did this have to happen to him again?” He cried and he collapsed to the floor. He had no energy whatsoever. Not only hadn’t he not slept well but he knew something had been off that morning. Feeling those comforting arms slide around him and hug him tight, he shut his eyes tightly.

                “Hush now, we can’t give in to despair so quickly. I'm going to look for him and Chansung is coming with me.” Min-Jun said and brushed his thumbs over his cheeks.

                Fear rose up within him and he turned to Chansung quickly, “What? Now?”

                Chansung nodded and gave him that reassuring smile. Wooyoung let it soothe him. “We’re going to have help, so don’t worry, okay?”

                Wooyoung admired his calmness and fortitude. It made him feel that much more at ease.

                “I still think I should go with you.” Taecyeon interjected. “Min-Jun, I’m a better tracker than you are and I’ve been in the country more.”

                Wooyoung could only watch helplessly as Min-Jun’s eyes began to blare red. He stood quickly and grabbed Taecyeon’s collar. Wooyoung stilled. “Listen here, Taecyeon, you can’t go looking. No matter how you feel, it will look biased if you come with us. The wolves will be amazing trackers.” Wooyoung got to his feet. This was becoming too much and they were losing precious time. “More importantly, you’re working on changing the policies which ensure we hybrids are safe. You have to make calls to the Capital so they know that we have a situation in progress, this is personal now, do you understand?”

                Wooyoung swallowed hard. This could end very badly.

                “They have a head start, Min-Jun!” Taecyeon was getting angry now.

                Seeing Chansung edge back, Wooyoung pressed into his side and bit his lower lip.

                “So let me go!” Min-Jun snarled.

                Wooyoung gasped and clutched Chansung’s hand tightly. It was the only thing that was keeping him grounded, his presence. He wasn’t the only one surprised. Taecyeon had reverted completely to a submissive state.

                “Stop wasting my time and let me do what I’m best at, helping hybrids outside of politics. Do what you’re good at and making sure you have concrete evidence for our cause! Isn't that what you've been working on all this time?!”

                It was echoing in his mind, ‘so let me go!’, over and over. Wooyoung tried to think it didn’t mean they were separating. He couldn’t handle that right now, he didn’t want it. Everything was compounding together and honestly it felt like he was suffocating.

                “If...” He began weakly. “If you don’t do something soon we’ll lose him forever!” He shouted, finally catching their attention. He felt like his lungs were on fire he was breathing so fast. Chansung’s grip on his hand tightened. “Stop fighting each other! I’m tired of...” He pleaded with them, his voice beginning to waver. “I’m tired of all this. Papa, Min-Jun knows the lands around Fortune better than you!” Taecyeon seemed to finally snap out of it. “Papa...please, don’t leave me by myself again.”

                Taecyeon eyes reverted back completely and his aura vanished.

                “What if they come here-"

                Taecyeon scooped him up and held him tightly. His hands rubbed up and down his back and his face pressed into his neck. “I’m sorry cub, I’m so sorry.”

                Wooyoung closed his eyes and held him back just as hard.

                “Come, Chansung, we have to hunt.” Min-Jun said.

                “I would never let them hurt you.” Taecyeon assured and kissed over his face and looked over him. “You know that, right?”

                Wooyoung nodded and sniffled. “You’d probably tear the whole world apart.”

                Taecyeon smiled, “I would.”

                “Oh!” Chansung stopped in the doorway, “Wooyoung, do you have anything of Junho’s?”

                Wooyoung gripped Taecyeon’s hand gently before rushing up the stairs. He scoured around and found one of Junho’s shirts. Racing back down, he handed it over. Looking up, he could see flecks of yellow in Chansung's deep brown eyes. Would he come back? Will he return after this or leave?

                “Br...” He was choked on that thought. “Bring him back home, Chansung.”

                That comforting, beautiful smile was facing him with those bright, confident eyes. The cat’s arms circled around him and he felt instant calmness. “I will.”

                Tears bubbled up in his eyes. There were so many things he wanted to say. "Don’t get hurt...” He finally managed followed by a weak, "Come home safe," before he broke down into mess. What made him feel even safer was those arms tightening around him, but then he was released. “I have my phone on me so I’ll send updates when I can!”

                Chansung flashed him one more smile before completely leaving him. He reached after him slowly, but the truck was already driving off. Gasping, he covered his mouth and leaned against the doorframe. His heart began to race.

                “Babe?”

                Turning, he walked into Taecyeon's arms and clutched the back of his shirt. “Papa...my heart hurts...”

                “He’ll come back.”

                Looking up, he held onto him tighter. “This wasn’t supposed to happen-"

                “Why not let it?”

                Wooyoung began to shake. “Because he may not stay...and I don’t want...I don’t want him to leave...”

                “Well, you better tell him that, because unless we know, we’d just assume everything is okay.” Taecyeon said and kissed his forehead.

                “You better not kill him.”

                Taecyeon chuckled, “I’d better get to what my bear wants.”

                Wooyoung nodded, “don’t do anything stupid like that again.”

                Taecyeon hugged him tightly. “I’m learning not to...”

                *

                Hours passed. Each update from Chansung got his hopes up but then shattered them again. However, it was good to hear his voice. Taecyeon had been on and off the phone with whoever he needed to in the Capital. Sometimes his aura felt so venomous. Wooyoung didn’t know what to do other than keep his distance. He knew Taecyeon would never physically harm him but he just couldn’t handle the intensity. Soon enough he found himself baking. Customers came every so often and asked him for updates or brought him some food and encouraging words. The police were in and out as well.

                What he knew for sure...he had been so unsettled by many things the last little while that now he didn’t know how to calm himself. He never let himself get to this level of stress.

                The door chime interrupted his thoughts. He smiled softly as Min came in through the door, eyes redder than ever and sniffling.

                “W-Wooyoung...” She sobbed as soon as their eyes met. “They won’t tell me anything, they think I did something to Junho."

                Skirting around the counter he hugged her tightly. “Shh, it’s not your fault. I know you would never harm him, ever. Do not let them get to you like that.”

                She shook her head and held him tight. "He's...he was finally opening up to me. I don't want to think about how much this is going to hurt him, to set him back. He was doing so much better." Her body shook with her cries and her grip from his shirt never vanished. He couldn’t even imagine what she was going through.

                “We can't think about that right now. Min-Jun and Chansung are on their trail. I haven’t heard from them in a while but you’re welcome to stay with us in the meantime.” He said and looked over her.

                “I don’t know how you can be so calm.” She said and brushed at her face. “It’s really helping my nerves."

                He couldn’t help but shrug. There was nothing calm about him right now. He was trying his best not to overthink everything, but his guts were twisting and churning and he felt so tense, and all he could think about was running after them. “Go wash up and then come sit with me. I'll make some tea.”

                Min nodded and wandered into the kitchen.

                Wooyoung went through the motions: filling the kettle with water, turning it on, and setting out two mugs. As he was looking over the numerous types of tea he had to stop as his hand began to shake. He felt so useless. Taking some calming breaths he finally picked the tea. When it was all set and ready he took both mugs and perched himself back on his stool once more and looked out. Then, he looked at the phone. He hadn't heard from them for a long time. He needed to hear from him. He needed to hear Chansung's voice.

                Each breath came out harshly and began pacing. He didn't know what to do. Suddenly, firm hands gripped his arms and he looked up at Taecyeon.

                “Focus on me.”

                He shook his head rapidly. "I don’t want to. Everything is telling me to run.”

                “You can’t.”

                He growled and made to move past him. “They're probably in danger!”

                “Shh, shh...” Taecyeon hugged him close. “You’re my cub alright...”

                Wooyoung jerked back and tried to fight his instincts. “I...I don’t like feeling like this!” He groaned and tugged at his hair. “I never wanted to feel like this! I don’t want it!” He practically screamed and wrapped his arms around himself. “I...” He felt his resolve breaking. “I don’t want...”

                “Yes you do-"

                Wooyoung socked Taecyeon in the stomach, making him crouch down. “Ugh! ! I forgot how mean your left hook was!” He cried and gripped the counter ledge.

                “That felt really good – but hurt!” He sobbed and cradled his hand.

                “You little bastard...” Taecyeon chuckled. “Ah, I remember the first time you slammed me with a punch. I don’t think I moved for ten minutes.”

                “It was longer than that.” Wooyoung huffed and puffed up his chest.

                “You little ...” Taecyeon ruffled his hair. “He’ll be alright.”

                “I know he's gone after Catchers. I don't want to think about it, but what if he gets hurt? What about Min-Jun? What if I lose him? What if I...”

                “Hey,” Taecyeon said softly. “They're going to come back. Let's talk about something else.”

                “What happened that first morning you were here?” He leveled him with a heavy stare.

                “Nothing?”

                “Don’t play dumb, I could smell you all over him. I could smell everything. Why did you do that?” He was getting really heated. It wasn’t a good time either because Min could come back any second.

                “Well, one it was Min-Jun's idea, and two, I wondered what it would do to my cub.”

                Wooyoung did not expect that and then he stumbled back off his chair. “Why are you and Min-Jun doing this to me?!” He pointed an accusing finger at him. “He doesn’t-"

                “Yes, he does.” Taecyeon sang and smirked. “Oh? Is my cub trying to deny it? Did it stir up your feelings, babe?”

                “I...you...” Cheeks beginning to burn, he had to dismiss it. “It isn’t like that! I...I don’t have a lot of friends so of course we would be close.”

                “Friends? Come on, cub. Don't even try and lie." Taecyeon sighed, but smiled as he shook his head. "You like to run away from things as much as he does. Now you're both running away from each other. Anyone could see he's falling for you pretty hard." Wooyoung moved to punch him again but he was pulled into Taecyeon's arms. "At some point you're both going to collide, and it's going to be overwhelming because of how much you both are hiding from one another. It's kind of...silly, babe." Taecyeon said honestly and snuggled him. "Besides, I think there’s another big cat that we need to worry about if he comes here, especially with you-know-who.”

                Wooyoung felt dread rise up within him. “Is he coming here?”

                “You know that whenever he finds out I’m here, he just has to visit.” Taecyeon grumbled.

                “You just don’t like it because of how happy Min-Jun gets.” Wooyoung scoffed.

                “Shut up you, I don’t need to hear that from you, you runt!” Taecyeon snagged him in an arm hold.

                Hearing a soft laugh they both looked over at the door and found Min smiling. “I knew coming here would be the best. You make me feel sure he’ll come back.”

                Wooyoung was released and Taecyeon rubbed the back of his head. “Sorry Min, I didn’t know you were here.”

                “It’s okay...”

                “Are you alright?”

                “Yes, well, as much as I can be.” She said and looked out the front. “I just...don’t want to think about it because then I get helpless, and I want to do something but I don’t know what.”

                Wooyoung pat the seat beside his and indicated to the steaming mug of tea, “help me mind the bakery and have some tea.”

                Min nodded and did as told. “Okay.”

                The hours passed away and every so often Wooyoung would go back and make more things. Min helped Taecyeon at the front and he took calls when necessary. Min went up to rest after supper and Wooyoung found himself seated across from Taecyeon. They hadn’t heard anything for hours.

                They were waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Wooyoung couldn’t even think about sleep.

                “The police will be meeting them at the tracks and a helicopter is also flying out.” Taecyeon said after a while. “I just wish they would call...”

                “They may not have signal anymore...” Wooyoung said. He was on edge again and felt completely useless. Feeling the same despair he felt that morning rise in his chest, he rubbed his neck and sagged against the table.

                “They’ll be back, Wooyoung.” Taecyeon said gently.

                Sighing deeply, he continued to stare at the abandoned ingredients and dishware scattered across the counter. Min-Jun had been baking with Chansung, and something he hadn't seen him bake in a long time.

                “It felt like we were...” Wooyoung trailed off, not wanting to make himself sad.

                Images of Taecyeon and Min-Jun harassing Chansung sprung to mind, as well as memories of Chansung coming up to his bedside and smiling at him, and Junho looking livelier than he had ever seen before. He would not let this set him back.

                “Felt like we were what?”

                Wooyoung lifted his head and rested his chin in his palm. Meeting his father’s gaze he couldn’t help but smile. Instant comfort came when the small smile was returned. Getting to his feet he walked around the table and sat himself on Taecyeon’s lap. He leaned back completely and rested his head against his shoulder. Those familiar, strong and comforting arms laced around him and Taecyeon kissed the top of his head. His father’s scent flew all around him, and Wooyoung immediately felt the exhaustion he had been carrying dissipate all at once.

                “I remember when you used to get in fights with kids at school, and you wouldn’t say a word, but you would just sit with me like this...”

                Not being able to resist smiling, Wooyoung nodded. “Min-Jun would always interrogate me about it so this was my safe zone until I was ready to talk.”

                “Hmm, yeah, he got mad at me sometimes for it. Then, you would cuddle with him all cute and finally tell him. I remember some of your wounds from those fights though. I tell you if they weren’t kids...”

                Wooyoung chuckled. “I was the one who got in trouble even though they started it.”

                “Hm, life’s funny that way...”

                Wooyoung closed his eyes and tried to relax. Opening them he looked up to the ceiling. “Can I...ask you something?”

                “Of course.”

                “I don’t want to whine about it anymore. I don’t know how to talk about it. I just want closure so I'm just going to ask it,” He said and began nibbling his bottom lip. “Was it my fault that you and Min-Jun separated?”

                Taecyeon sat up and held him tighter. “No, Wooyoung, what happened between me and Min-Jun was not because of you.”

                “I have to ask. I’m never going to be ungrateful for what you both did for me. I mean...you’re both red-eye hybrids, and alphas. Anyone can see that that kind of combination of mates is difficult, and then you raised me – sort of – on top of everything else.” He couldn’t help but chuckle. “You’re amazing but also ridiculous at the same time.”

                “Hey,” Taecyeon playfull nipped his shoulder. “Some would call that love you know?”

                “I know you love each other...I just...sometimes I don’t know how I fit in.” He finally admitted it. “I don’t know...my place? I don’t know if that makes sense.” He sighed and looked down at their joined hands. “You’re the most selfless and unconditional parents I could have ever asked for, because even when you were fighting, I still had you with me.” He shifted to the side and collapsed against him. “I guess...seeing how much pain you both have gone through, many times for me...it makes me wish I hadn’t-"

                “Don’t...I don’t want to hear it. I could never and would never think that way.” Taecyeon said and rubbed his back. “From the day I found you in that tree to right now and in the future, you’re my cub, my babe. I would go to the end of the world to do whatever I needed to keep you safe.”

                “Why...didn't Min-Jun want to go with you to the Capital?”

                “That is something I cannot tell you, cub.”

                Wooyoung frowned. “Fine. I don’t know what happened between the two of you. I don’t know why Min-Jun didn’t want to go with you. I just know that I don’t want you to leave him alone for so long anymore.” He said quietly. “Min-Jun has been hiding it, and I know you know, but he's really tired, papa. He hasn’t gone into hibernation for ten years.” Taecyeon’s hold on him tightened. “He waits for you, more selflessly than I can, but he’s so exhausted. He needs to rest. I guess that’s why I was so angry because it was like you never noticed and he didn’t show it.” He finally looked at him and found the raw pain and hurt he didn’t expect.

                “I knew there were going to be a lot of sacrifices when we started this...but I'll be honest I never would have thought our lives would have been turned upside down like this, not like this.” He said softly. “I...want you both to live comfortably, and above all else, I want you safe...but I won’t lie, cub, it’s so hard.”

                Wooyoung draped his arm around his shoulders. “There are more people fighting now and the bills are passing through government. You’re almost there and then you can come home forever.”

                Taecyeon smiled, “and then what will you do?”

                “Go on an adventure with someone I suppose...” He said quietly.

                “Oh?”

                “Oh.”

                “I hate it when you do that.”

                Wooyoung grinned.

                The phone rang.

                Wooyoung snapped up and ran. Noticing it was Chansung’s cell he pressed it to his ear. “Chansung? Where are you?”

                He felt the sigh more than he heard it, relief. ~Three truckloads of hybrids are free. We got some of the wolf cubs but not Junho.”

                His heart sank.

                “Wooyoung, tell him I want to talk to Min-Jun.” Taecyeon said as motioned for the phone.

                Wooyoung swallowed hard. He didn’t know if Min-Jun would be calm enough yet.

                “Taecyeon wants to talk to Min-Jun.” He said.

                ~Is he going to calm him down? Because I can’t...~

                “Oh...I don’t know if that’s a good idea then." Wooyoung covered his eyes. This was bad. Taecyeon rose from his chair, definitely not good, “Min-Jun angry is not-"

                Taecyeon stole the phone, “Angry or not give him the damn phone now, Chansung.”

                Wooyoung slowly edged back. This could be bad. Taecyeon gave him a look and he shrugged in response. “I don’t want to risk feeling your crazy, angry aura right now!”

                “Min-Jun!” Taecyeon said and then calmed. “Min-Jun, I’m sorry...” Wooyoung came closer and smoothed his arms around his middle. “He’s right next to me, occasionally yelling at me and hugging me.”

                Wooyoung rolled his eyes.

                “How are you? What’s happening?” Taecyeon pressed the speaker phone.

                ~We’ve been staking out the last truck for the past little while. That silly cat, he really got me nervous but wow, I can’t get over how strong he is...I don’t think I would have known unless we came out here, but I can really tell he’s been through a lot.~

                “Well, he is Hwang’s son...” Taecyeon sighed. “The train is supposed to go by at 2 in the morning. The police are coming from both directions to help you, some are in trucks coming along the hunting trail and I believe a helicopter from Fortune, as well as medical crews.”

                ~Hm, that could explain why they’ve stopped all of a sudden. I think we’re about two hours from the tracks, at least that’s what the wolves told me.~

                “It’s nearly 11:30...they have to make their move soon or they’ll miss it. They’re going to anyway but it doesn’t seem good that they’ve stopped.” Taecyeon said. “Something is up...”

                ~Yeah, and the air is rank with pheromones, I don’t like it. Whatever they do to caught hybrids, they do it while they’re on the move.~

                Wooyoung buried his face into Taecyeon’s body and his arm came around him protectively.

                “Are you really alright?” Wooyoung asked.

                Min-Jun sighed and chuckled. ~Knowing you’re in safe hands puts me at ease. Once we have Junho back I'll feel even better.~

                “Just come home, please...” Wooyoung said shakily. “Please come home.”

                ~I wil...no wor-ies...~

                “Min-Jun you’re cutting out.” Taecyeon said.

                ~Call...Teri...~

                The phone began to beep and then all they heard was dialtone. Wooyoung stared at the phone until Taecyeon set it down and pulled him up the stairs. “I’ll call Teri, you try and get some sleep, okay?”

                Wooyoung nodded and wandered up to the bedrooms. Stopping outside the guest room, he reached out and slowly opened the door. Chansung’s things were scattered over the bed. Slowly making his way over he sat down on the bed and took a deep breath. Collapsing, he inhaled deeply and felt instant calm.

                “Please come back to me...” He murmured.

                The darkness consumed him. He dreamt of nothing and when he was woken, it was a firm hand on his shoulder. Light was streaming in through the windows and Taecyeon was above him.

                “What is it?”

                “We’re going to the hospital.”

                “Hospital...are they back?!” He shot up.

                Taecyeon didn’t answer his question, just left the room and Wooyoung ran after him. They practically ran to the hospital which had a huge crowd of staff, paramedics and volunteers working on moving hybrids into the building. Wooyoung gripped Taecyeon’s hand as he pulled them through. They went right up to the authorities.

                “Hey, Jim!” Taecyeon called. “Have you seen Min-Jun?”

                “They’re in intensive care. Your friend Teri is already with them.”

                “In-Intensive care...” Wooyoung echoed. “Why..?” His eyes trailed left as he saw his pup. “Junho!” He ran after him and looked him over. “Junho?!” Groggy eyes looked up at him.

                “Move back please, Mr. Jang, his arm is broken and he’s severely dehydrated.” A nurse said and gave him a sympathetic look. “He’ll be alright, I promise. We just need to get him a cast and rehydrated.”

                Wooyoung nodded and let them go. Looking around he caught the whiff of a scent, barely there but present. He sped into the hospital and zoomed along the halls. It was getting stronger.

                “Prep him for surgery, the bullet is still inside!” He heard someone yell.

                Turning, he was smacked with the scent of blood.

                They lay before him surrounded by nurses and doctors.

                “Wooyoung!”

                Looking at Teri, he halted instantly. Turning his attention back to Min-Jun who was breathing harshly, covered in blood. His gaze flickered over to Chansung and he froze in place. There was blood everywhere. His whole body began to shake and his breathing became heavy.

                “Wooyoung!”

                Snapping to attention, he looked at Teri.

                “They’re going into emergency surgery. I promise they’re alright.” Her tone didn’t convince him at all.

                “What’s wrong with them?”

                “Go to the waiting room.”

                “Teri!”

                “Poison, I have the samples and I may know a cure but I have to work.”

                He looked over them one more time. “Okay...”

                They were rolled away, further and further. Everyone's panic had him more on edge than he thought possible.

                “Okay...” He repeated. His vision began to haze and he toppled. “It’s okay...they’ll make it...” He said, voice trembling. “Don’t cry...”

                “Wooyoung!”

                All he could see was the blood and both of them gasping for breath.

                “They’ll be okay, just wait.” He said and covered his eyes. He was picked up and he held onto Taecyeon tightly. “Please don’t leave me...” He cried.

*

Next Chapter...The Exhaustion of Healing