Saving Wooyoung

How Far Until Footprints Vanish - Undergoing Revision and Finalization

Saving Wooyoung

*

                Chansung awoke to the familiar sensation of hot breath against his neck, and the warmth of Wooyoung's body completely tangled with his own. Wooyoung murmured something under his breath and tightened his hold on him. How could he be so oblivious? Did he realise he was torturing him? Probably not. Checking the clock it read 5:30AM. In fifteen minutes the alarm would go off and this bliss would end.

               Closing his eyes, he inhaled deeply, catching the faintest traces of Wooyoung’s scent. It was the first time in a long time he had managed to catch a whiff of it, and it really had him reeling. He had to be exhausted from hiding it, and in combination with not showing his hybrid it would probably be making him feel even worse. Although, if Wooyoung had done it for a long time before this then he was probably used to it, and that unnerved Chansung a little bit. What did Wooyoung need to hide from, and why so hard?

                Reaching up slowly, he smoothed his hand over Wooyoung’s hair.

                “How do you manage to weasel yourself into my arms without me noticing anyway?” He murmured and slowly made to rise.

                Wooyoung’s eyes blinked open and he stared up at him. “Chan...don’t move yet...” He grumbled and held him tighter. “Don’t want any other erted cats or bears sneaking up on me...”

                Chansung smiled, “had a bad dream?”

                “There was a cat more erted than you here yesterday.”

                Chansung scoffed but then realised what Wooyoung meant. “So he did do something to you?” He groaned.

               “Dongwoon has done many somethings with me.” Wooyoung admitted.

                “Wooyoung,” he whined. He didn’t like that at all.

                The enigmatic man chuckled and held him closer. "Kidding..."

                “Stop teasing me, especially about that...”

                “I won't stop teasing you...” He murmured and held him tighter. “About him yes. Although I'm allowed to get one in, because I’m not the one who ran and hid after his own escapade with a certain wolf.”

                Chansung blushed madly, “fine, even if it's too mean.” 

                This of course only made Wooyoung laugh and snuggle closer.

                “This your way of telling me you were actually bothered by it?”

                Wooyoung sighed and began curling his fingers in Chansung's hair. "Don't ask me that, Hwang Chansung."

               'All I thought about was you...' He wasn't ready to admit that out loud yet.

               “You’re warm.” Wooyoung looked up at him with a pout.

                Without warning, there was a flash causing Wooyoung to groan. Looking over, he found Min-Jun with a camera.

                “Lucky!” He cheered and smiled at them. “I didn’t think I’d actually be able to get a picture. So cute, you cozy kittens!”

                “Min-Jun!” Wooyoung called and raced after him, taking all his heat with him.

                Chansung was both disappointed and relieved. That bear though! He needed to see that picture because that pout had been far too adorable.

                Wooyoung slowly wandered back in and they got ready for the day. After grabbing a quick breakfast, and some teasing touches from the playful Jang, Chansung found himself suiting up to load bakery goods into the van.

                “Min-Jun, I was thinking us three, Nichkhun and Junho could eat at Joan’s tonight, or tomorrow if it gets too busy. I want to at least get there before they close.” Wooyoung said as he brought his dishes to the sink.

                “Oh, sounds like a good idea. I’ll ask Junho if he has any plans when he comes in. If not then four of us can definitely go.” Min-Jun said and hugged Wooyoung from behind.

                “Ah!” Wooyoung groaned but didn’t resist.

                Chansung noticed Min-Jun whispering to him, and the younger man’s face growing every shade of red imaginable. Chansung couldn't help feeling secondhand embarrassment. He hoped Min-Jun wasn’t teasing him about this morning, or other things.

                “Wooyoung, this is all going out, right?” Chansung indicated to the boxes.

                “Y-yeah, all of that.” He stammered, still flustered from whatever Min-Jun had said.

                “Have fun today, Chan!” Min-Jun said and got set to baking things.

                Wooyoung finally made his way over after he’d loaded up the rest of the boxes and picked up a checklist. “See you later then, Min-Jun.” He said.

                “See you! Don’t get too angry at the shelter staff please!”

                “Yeah, yeah...” Wooyoung brought the last of the boxes with him and they were off. “Can you hold the list for me?”

                “Yep,” Chansung took the paper.

                It was still dark out, and chilly, Chansung noted.

                “Yeah, the last delivery we’ll do is the grocer. The Wayne family owns it and usually around this time they start asking for baked goods. We’ll probably be doing one trip a week out there until Christmas - maybe two.” Wooyoung said and turned up towards the north end of the city.

                “You don’t need to say anything more to Dongwoon?”

                Wooyoung smacked his leg and didn’t reply. Obviously he did not want to have any more conversation about him, and Chansung didn't mind it. He snuggled down into his seat as they pulled up to a small convenience store.

                An elderly man waved to them and propped the door open. Chansung handed Wooyoung two bags and he wandered inside.

                There was something that was bothering him, and that was Nichkhun. He hadn’t seen the older male since their first encounter. He supposed he was helping Min-Jun out a lot but how did he manage to get around within him noticing.

                Spotting Wooyoung making his way out, he straightened up and made sure his expression was less tense.

                “You're thinking about something.” Wooyoung said as he belted himself in.

                “Mm...something.” He said quietly.

                “What’s bothering you now?” Wooyoung asked knowingly.

                Chansung couldn’t help but smile. Well, it was pointless to try and hide anything from him. Wooyoung had an uncanny ability to see right through his facade. “Still waking up.” He murmured and looked out his window.

                “I...can you come into the shelter with me?” Wooyoung said, voice wavering slightly.

                This surprised Chansung, but perhaps he shouldn't have. This more vulnerable side to Wooyoung had been making more and more appearances. Chansung was happy he was depending on him, it just made him want to console Wooyoung but he wasn't sure how.

                "You don't need to ask. I know you don't like going there."

                Wooyoung shook his head. “A lot of things happened to me there...and there’s someone there who really...” He trailed off and pulled into the parking lot. “Just stay close to me, okay?”

                Chansung looked over his features and rested his head back. Things that Wooyoung told him during those first couple weeks at the bakery came flooding back to him. ‘They found me when I was very small’, 'if you wonder why I keep myself a secret, it's because of how I was treated in the past', the last fox he’d seen was when he was very small, an old woman. His mind began to race.

                The wolves were told by the foxes to wait for them. Wooyoung fit into this puzzle somehow. The coyote he spoke of also knew the foxes, and was like a mother to him. The old woman - his grandmother - had the same scent as him, but then changed? Now that he had nothing else to distract him, Wooyoung was the focus of his thoughts.

                "How far will this obsession with foxes take you? And when you finally find one, what will you do with it? If you're finally able to meet one, speak with one, will you ask it to bring you to the Realm?”

                Chansung looked over at him once again. “Wooyoung..?” He said, stopping him from opening the door.

                “Hm?” He glanced over. “What? Why do you look so serious?” He chuckled.

                “I’m confused about...some things. Both you and Min-Jun told me that you were found when you were very young.”

                Wooyoung’s grip on the steering wheel tightened. “Yes...”

                “Was it here?” He looked at the shelter. “Or did someone bring you here?”

                For a second it looked like Wooyoung wasn’t going to answer. He slowly sat back and looked over the building. “I don’t like this place.”

                “Then let me bring the things in. You don’t have to.” Chansung said quickly. "Let's avoid some unnecessary stress-"

                Wooyoung surprised him as he turned to him, smile on his face. “You want to prance in there with some bread as a peace offering, kit? You did put Rosabelle's husband in jail.” He chuckled.

                "Well when you put it that way we shouldn't go in at all." Chansung grumbled.

                "You're so cute when you're pouty." Wooyoung ruffled his hair and Chansung tried to stop him but it was pointless. "There are amazing people that work there asides from Rosabelle-"

                "I don't want you to go in." Chansung said more firmly than he intended.

                Wooyoung opened his mouth but then he was tugging him closer. "Cute and demanding..." He chuckled and brushed their noses together. “Stop looking so troubled. I’ve already told you haven’t I? I feel safe with you.”

                Relaxing some, he closed his eyes as Wooyoung ruffled his hair.

                “Come on, the faster we bring it in the faster we can finish.” The enigma left him and opened up the back.

                Chansung slowly made his way out and was given two boxes. He almost felt euphoric. Being reminded just how much Wooyoung trusted him and felt safe with him, it was so endearing. He felt all fluttery inside. Chansung followed Wooyoung diligently up the stairs and through the doors. It was quiet as they made their way to the kitchen. Rosabelle was there. Chansung immediately felt rage and he couldn’t help his scent flaring up. Wooyoung glanced back at him.

                “Hello Rosabelle, here’s the order.”

                She waved her hand dismissively but paid them no heed.

                They set the boxes down.

                “Is Junho alright?” She asked as they headed to the door.

                Wooyoung paused, “please, Rosabelle, I don’t think his life is any of your business, but he's fine.”

                Whatever she was holding clattered to the floor. She stormed around the counter and pushed Chansung out of the way. Her hands gripped Wooyoung’s coat tightly.

                “You little bastard! Do you know what it was like having to...to be near that man after I found out? For my entire life, I ran this shelter with the belief and intention that hybrids could find sanctuary here.” Tears rushed down her cheeks. “You...you have ruined my life ever since you came to Fortune, Jang. First my son, and now my husband.”

                Wooyoung began to look very pale.

                “And you!” She turned to him then. “You’d best be wary, Mr. Hwang. I wouldn’t associate myself with such filth if I were you. Anyone who associates with this...creature experiences only terrible things.”

                Anger had already been smouldering within him but now he couldn't contain it.

                “He’s like a poison-"

                Before he could think, his hand had lashed out and gripped her neck. “Call him filth again, I dare you.” He hissed. Wooyoung didn't deserve this.

                “Chansung, please stop...” Wooyoung said weakly and touched his arm. “Let her go, it isn’t worth it-"

                He spared Wooyoung a glimpse and the smaller male backed away.

                “I’m not kind to those who harm the people I care about.” He growled and dragged her close to him. “I don’t care about his history. I don’t care what he did to you. It doesn’t hide the fact that you helped harm hundreds of hybrids, leading them on with a false sense of security-"

                “Chansung!” Wooyoung cried.

                “Whether you knew or not, you’ve helped ruin lives. How dare you think you have a right to speak so harshly to him." He let her go and she crumpled to the floor. "Stop trying to blame other people for your ignorance.”

                Chansung clasped Wooyoung’s wrist and pulled him behind him. "So, perhaps you can tell me, did you know about his involvement in an attack on my family 20 years ago?"

                She froze and her eyes widened.

                "You did," he said quietly. "What do you know about it?"

                "N-Nothing, I swear it."

                "Funny, now that I think about it, he called me stray, too. Little stray, in particular." He stalked forwards and kept his gaze locked on hers.

                Her eyes were big and filled with fear, with tears. "I left that life that day. I thought he had changed, we wanted to start a family. He would bring hybrids here. I thought he had changed!"

                Chansung edged back and Wooyoung gripped his arm.

                "Do what's right, for the sake of hybrids, for yourself. He was and is not a good man, Rosabelle. Make it right."

                "It's not that easy."

                "When is life ever easy?" He asked sadly. "Ever since that day I have been trying to find pieces of what was taken from me. I feel like I'm broken into pieces. Imagine how other hybrids feel, how they have felt, taken from their families, their homes, their communities. Make. It. Right." He finished and turned back to Wooyoung who was holding him tightly. "Let's go."

                Wooyoung nodded and they left. He didn’t want to come back here. He didn’t want to see her again. He didn’t want Wooyoung to be subjected to that ever again.

                Feeling those nimble arms tighten around him from behind, Chansung froze. Wooyoung’s whole body was shaking.

                “We shouldn’t stay here, Wooyoung.” He said softly.

                “Just let me hold you.” Wooyoung said brokenly.

                Chansung glanced back but Wooyoung's arms tightened around him. “I...don't want to stay here, Wooyoung.”

                Wooyoung nodded and turned him around. “You don't have to carry everything alone, you know that, right?” He said, those beautiful silver eyes peered up at him, and Chansung honestly never wanted to look away. “I'm right here.” Wooyoung whispered and Chansung brushed his thumbs over his cheeks.

                “I'm here for you, too,” he whispered and Wooyoung gasped, “I can’t stand it when you’re hurting or someone is causing you pain. I can’t stand it. You should know that by now.”

                Wooyoung’s face finally broke into a smile. It was sad, but then it turned into laughter. “Come on...I don’t want to be here any longer either.” He was leading them out now. “Can you drive?”

                “Yes...” He said and made his way to the driver’s seat.

                Once they were on the way, Wooyoung still didn’t calm down. “You...really scared me a bit. I thought you were going to seriously hurt her.”

                “I wouldn’t have...”

                “I don’t believe you.” Wooyoung jabbed him in the leg.

                “Alright, I really wanted to, but I knew you wouldn’t forgive me.” He admitted and parked them outside their next delivery.

                “I can’t stay mad at you forever. It isn’t healthy for me.” Wooyoung grumbled and rubbed at his eyes.

                “What?”

                “Nothing...” He huffed and scooted out of the van.

                “Is there anything I can do to make you feel a little better?”

                Wooyoung sniffled and shoved a bag into his arms. “Not really...”

                “That wasn’t convincing at all.” Chansung teased as he bounded after him into the small convenience store.

                “Ah! Hey Wooyoung – oi! What happened to you?” The lady said and stormed up to him.

                “Nothing, something got in both my eyes. What are the chances?”

                “Want some eye drops?”

                “No, I'll be okay...” Wooyoung said, feigning innocence.

                She took the bags from them and sighed. “Alright...well, tell Min-Jun I said ‘hello’ and ‘thanks’.”

                “Will do!” Wooyoung saluted and turned back to exit.

                Before they made it to the van, however, Chansung scooped him up.

                “Hey!” Wooyoung’s eyes went wide. A blush dusted his cheeks and his eyes focused on his ears.

                “I know you want to touch them.”

                Wooyoung whimpered but kept his hands folded on his chest.

                “I can totally transform completely but I think people would be uncomfortable to see a black leopard riding around in the van with you.”

                “Nn...” The sounds he was making were driving Chansung crazy. Then, slowly, he was reaching up. “Your eyes are intimidating, you know..?”

                “I think you like them just as much.”

                “Cocky bastard,” Wooyoung gripped his right ear. Of course, he was smiling then too. “Stop making me feel better.”

                “Nah, I kind of like seeing you smile.”

                Wooyoung pouted, “kind of..?”

                Chansung brushed their noses together, “okay, I really like it.”

                Wooyoung went red. “That’s too much, you idiot cat!” He struggled in his arms but Chansung laughed.

                “I also like seeing you blush.”

                “You’re taking it too far!” Wooyoung cried, cheeks even more red.

                Chansung laughed even more. Yes, teasing Wooyoung was definitely one of his favourite things.

                By the time they reached the grocer it was midday. Chansung hadn’t realised how long it had been since the bakery did deliveries. The trip out of the town was nice. Despite it being the same route he travelled to save Junho, he was glad to make new memories. Wooyoung didn’t speak much after they were finished, he was still tense, but he assured him that he was okay.

               The grocer was located on the outskirts of a small village and near a train station.

                As Wooyoung parked, he sighed deeply and shut off the van.

                “Okay?”

                Wooyoung shook his head. “I can’t believe...she said those things to me.”

                “I should have stopped her sooner.”

                Wooyoung shrugged, “I don’t think that would have stopped her. She’s been wanting to say that to me for a long time, I can tell. And the things you said-"

                "It was a long shot. I do honestly hope she takes the witness stand. I told Taecyeon about the things Baron said to me. He only revealed a couple of things to me, but I'm still..."

                "Oh, so the rumours about his past crimes that Junho was talking about might be true?"

                "Perhaps. Anyway, come on, let’s go.”

                Wooyoung pulled him back into him and hugged him tight. “Just...let me hold you for a bit.”

                Chansung smiled and hugged him tightly, “alright.”

                Slowly, he could feel Wooyoung calming down. He was breathing deeply. Eventually, he let him go. He didn't say anything else.

                They made their way inside. Chansung raced ahead to the meat section which caused Wooyoung to laugh. They got a variety of things. For Chansung though, the main thing was seeing Wooyoung slowly relaxing. The stress ebbed away from him and he even started to tease more. Once they were done, they loaded up the back of the van and made their way back to Fortune. Chansung was driving again. Wooyoung fell asleep instantly. It was calming being together like this, without anyone around.

                “By now...I’d usually be feeling like it was time to leave.” He said softly. “I don’t know why...but you really...” He glanced at Wooyoung. “I want to stay here for you.” He said, and out loud.

                There was no denying it anymore. Chansung was deeply attracted to Wooyoung. He didn’t know where the connection between them came from, or why he felt nostalgia around him sometimes, or how quickly Chansung came to feel so strongly about him. He just knew that it was right. He wanted to stay for Wooyoung. But, what about the fox? Did he need to find the Realm?

                “My reasons are changing and it’s scaring me.” He said and smiled to himself.

                He wanted to indulge in him. He’d never protected someone so fiercely before, asides from his siblings, and he certainly never abstained from touching someone he desired this long. Well, he knew why he was doing it. He wanted Wooyoung to want him back, he wanted his permission – no, his invitation to touch him. He couldn’t think of him as just a friend, but he also didn’t want to risk losing whatever growing relationship they had.

                When he pulled into the bakery, he gently shook Wooyoung. The smaller man grumbled and huddled in on himself. “No...” He whined.

                Chansung sighed and pressed closer to him. “Do you want to sleep in a cold, cramped van?” He asked against his ear.

                Wooyoung’s eyes darted open, but then he squinted and sighed. “You’re too close...”

                “Wooyoung-"

                Wooyoung groaned and pressed his face into his chest. “Tired...”

                “Go inside and go to bed.” Chansung laughed and tried once more to move away.

                “Mmn!” Wooyoung gave him a betrayed look.

                "Make up your mind, silly, do you want me close or not?"

                Wooyoung's groan of frustration and equally vexed expression had Chansung snickering.

                “I can carry you inside. Then Min-Jun will never leave us alone and tease us endlessly.”

                “He’s going to interrogate me about everything anyway. I bet he already got a call from Rosabelle.”

                “Don’t think about it, just go up and go to sleep. We can do supper at Joan’s tomorrow night, ‘kay?”

                Wooyoung looked sad. “But-"

                Chansung once more sat closer and cupped Wooyoung’s chin. “Just rest, Wooyoung.” Chansung handed him only one bag and shooed him with his hand. Wooyoung tried to be stubborn but Chansung smiled, "please go and rest for me."

                That seemed to finally make Wooyoung listen. He left without further argument.

                When he had finally collected the last of it, that same stench invaded his nostrils and he found Dongwoon blocking his way to the door.

                “Something I can help you with?” He asked.

                The tiger snorted, “well, there is the obvious: you leave Fortune and never come back.” He leaned against the building and sighed. “Wooyoung swore to me he would never let another cat in his room because of what had happened to him in his past. Yet, here you are, the piece of that has managed to not only change the dynamic of the house, but actually make him more open. How did you do it?”

                Chansung slowly walked until he was standing before him. “The way you talk about him infuriates me. Wooyoung is a person; the fact that I need to say that to you...I can understand why he rejected you, beta.”

                Dongwoon’s eyes narrowed, and the piercing green orbs flickered with anger.

                “If you don’t mind, I do actually work here.” He started towards the back but was stopped by Dongwoon’s hand gripping his coat tightly.

                “I am envious, there’s no denying that. Even when I first got here I knew he was special. I don’t know what he was waiting for but apparently he’s willing to let that dream go, just for you.”

                Chansung felt a shiver along his arms.

                “He’s been waiting twenty years, but I don’t understand why that all changes once you’re in the picture. Even Min-Jun is different - he’s actually going into the country and hibernating. I don’t care if the bills are becoming official, he would have waited until he was sure. So yes, I’m envious of you, because you make them feel safer and you better not that up. Beta or not, I will render you useless.”

                “Threatening me won’t get you anywhere. I’m more worried about what you might do to him.” He continued on.

                “Next time we meet, whether he interferes or not, I am going to fight you.”

                “I’ll be ready.” He said and finally entered the back kitchen.

                Chansung took a deep breath. After everything was settled away in their proper place in the kitchens, he finally moved to head upstairs, until a warm hand settled on his back. Frozen in place, he didn’t need to glance back. He had grown accustomed to Min-Jun’s presence, and it was more comforting now than before. Slowly, those arms wrapped around him and he flushed deeply. “Eat some food, put on some comfy clothes, and come help me bake, okay? Just for a little bit...I want your company.”

                “Okay...” He murmured but Min-Jun hadn't released him. “Ne, Min-Jun?”

                “Yes?”

                “You have to let me go...” He trailed off.

                Min-Jun sighed and gave him one last squeeze before doing so. 

                "Are you okay?"

                "Yes, just..." Min-Jun looked over him slowly. “I hope you realise you’re a part of my family, Chan, whether you like it or not.”

                He smiled, “I don’t know how I could ever think of that as a bad thing.”

                Min-Jun smiled briefly, but then a heavy expression settled on his face. “Rosabelle’s son...tried to force Wooyoung to show his hybrid, and when Wooyoung didn’t, he resorted to more physical measures.”

                Chansung’s whole body went rigid stiff. “Is it okay to share this with me?"

                “Yes. Wooyoung doesn’t need to recall those memories. Besides, he told me that if the subject ever came up, if you stuck around long enough, it was alright for me to tell you.” Min-Jun turned him around. “You’ve...done so much for my little family in such a short amount of time. If you ever left...I think it would tear me apart.”

                Chansung deflated instantly. “Min-Jun...”

                “I remember days...Wooyoung would come home, bruises everywhere because Rosabelle’s son would get his friends to gang up on him. Everyone knew he was a hybrid, but he didn’t want to be that, because he was told he would never be anything but an Abandoned because he had no parents. I...” Min-Jun’s hands clenched and unclenched. “He’s scared...of what you make him feel, that not everyone is trying to hurt him, that someone is actually trying to keep him safe, be a 'friend'...I guess.” Chansung blushed. “I don’t think he knows how to accept that yet. Even if it's clear he trusts you completely, he's scared.”

                Chansung was speechless. So many more things about Wooyoung made sense. Reaching up, he made sure the pendant was still around his neck.

                “Well, whether he wants to show me or not doesn’t matter...” He said and smiled warmly. “He’ll show me when he’s ready. Even if that never happens...I still...” He swallowed hard. ‘My feelings won’t change.’ He finished in his head. Min-Jun seemed to understand.

                “Remember I’m always there to listen,” he winked at him.

                “I know...”

                “Okay, go change and then come help me. I’m a little behind schedule.”

                Chansung turned and practically ran up the stairs. He would eat later. All he wanted to do was check on Wooyoung, and assure him that everything was alright. He stepped quietly into Wooyoung’s room. He found him breathing deeply, face flushed pink. The day had been stressful. He stayed near the bed only for a short while before grabbing a different set of clothes for baking. Stealing back to the bed, he knelt down and slowly pressed his lips to Wooyoung’s forehead.

                “I’ll make you feel better later, I promise.” He whispered and then left.

                He changed in the bathroom before heading back to the kitchen. He noticed the same ingredients for the lava cakes. Smiling, he came to stand beside Min-Jun.

                “I think we need to start over, yes?”

                Chansung nodded eagerly, “yep.”

                It was healing and fun. It was definitely something that Chansung had been wanting. Junho joined them after closing down the front. As he walked into the kitchen he yawned and rubbed his eyes. Chansung maintained his distance. Even if Junho said he was alright, Chansung still noticed the tension he tried to hide whenever they were in the same room. Feeling a hand in his hair, Chansung glanced up at Min-Jun.

                “Change...”

                Chansung froze. The last thing he wanted to do was transform. Before he could shake his head, Min-Jun gripped his chin and he saw a flicker of red in his eyes. “Min-Jun...” He whined.

                “Now,” he demanded.

                Glancing at the blissfully ignorant pup Chansung did as told, and remained seated on his chair.

                “Junho,” Min-Jun said and motioned him to come over.

                Chansung saw the second of panic and lowered his head. Min-Jun’s hand rested on his head though and the pup was standing in front of him.

                “Release your scent, Chansung.”

                “But that’s what I would do if...”

                Min-Jun was not playing around.

                “You have gold eyes...” Junho interrupted them. “I can’t believe you let Min-Jun and Taecyeon bully you around.”

                Chansung huffed and his tail swished back and forth. "I don't wanna hear that from you."

                “Chan got really territorial yesterday.” Min-Jun said with a cunning smirk. “You know about the various eye colours and their traits, right, Junho?”

                “Um...not a lot.” Junho admitted. “I just know that hybrids with gold or silver eyes carry more ancient bloodlines. Red-eyed hybrids are too, but remained in the wild the longest, right?”

                “Yes...” Min-Jun and lifted Junho’s hand.

                Chansung went into full panic when Junho’s hand was set on his head.

                “I’m sorry, Chansung, if I seem nervous whenever I’m around you. I don’t mean to do that, especially since you were the one to save me.” He said softly. Chansung lowered his head. “I don’t know...if I’ll ever stop that, but I hope I do because you’re a very special person in my life. So...I just hope you stay patient with me, as always.”

                Chansung snorted and looked up at him then, “why wouldn’t I?”

                Junho shrugged, “I know it can get frustrating.”

                “Even if it is, I can’t force you to like me in this form. If it is better to remain in my human form around you I will-"

                “No...” Junho said quietly. “It’s just the surprise in seeing you because you’ve been hiding it so long. I knew you were a leopard panther a long time ago...you told me. I felt like you were slowly preparing to show me even though you didn’t know my past.” He said with a smile.

                Chansung went quiet then and nudged Min-Jun with his paw.

                “What?” Min-Jun asked.

                “The tiger had green eyes...I’ve never seen a tiger with green eyes before.” He answered.

                Min-Jun took a deep breath and sat down.

                “What’s so strange about Dongwoon having green eyes?” Junho wondered.

                “Animals who live in packs or have large kinship families are more likely to have green or blue eyes.” Chansung explained. “Big cats usually have brown or gold eyes, but today it’s more common to have blue eyes.”

                “Golden eyes were once very common.” Min-Jun added. “All the big cats had them, but then things started to change with interbreeding. Chansung’s family comes from a long line of distinguished big cats, leopards, snow leopards, and jaguars, and with the panther gene for black coats it seems." Min-Jun teased which made Chansung snort. "Dongwoon...I’m not sure of his lineage but when I saw he had green eyes, I knew there was canid in there somewhere.”

                “So...wolves would be more likely to have green eyes?” Junho asked.

                “Yes, brown eyes are the default because that is the eye colour of our ancestors. It shows our connection to them, no matter what traits we possess we are always reminded of our lineage. Eye colour is usually an indicator of temperament and traits, or abilities. Hybrids that have gold or silver eyes aren’t as solitary as red-eyed hybrids, but they aren’t as communal as green or blue eyed hybrids.” Chansung said and made his way to the stairs. “There are legends that say hybrids with red eyes also have the longest life spans. The oldest was said to be 900 years old. There’s no knowing if that’s true, but I believe it.” He glanced back at Min-Jun. “Wooyoung is sick, Min-Jun.”

                “Yes, I know...”

                “I bet he’s the type to keep pushing himself and not rest.”

                Min-Jun chuckled. “Well, go look after him then. I’ll try and make sure he doesn’t work tomorrow, but you’ll find out how stubborn he is...”

                Chansung snorted and carried on up the stairs. Nichkhun walked down past him without a word. He still couldn’t figure out what he was. Pushing his way into Wooyoung’s room, he found him propped up in bed with a book.

                “Oh? In your leopard form again?”

                Chansung growled slightly, “I didn’t have a choice.”  

                Wooyoung rested the book on his chest. “Why?”

                Chansung slowly came to sit beside Wooyoung’s bed and rested his head down. “Junho...”

                “Ah...I see,” Wooyoung said and ran his hand over snout.

                “You’re sick.” He said softly.

                “No I’m not,” he grumbled.

                “Yes, you have a fever and you’re flushed.” He said as he placed his two front paws on the bed and rested his nose against his forehead. “Looks like it’s my turn to take care of you.”

                “I just need to rest.”

                “Yes, and stay in bed for a while. No work for you in the morning.”

                Wooyoung groaned and bat away his paw. “I really-"

                “Wooyoung.” He said sternly.

                Silver eyes peered up at him. “Fine...” He murmured. “I’m sure it’s just exhaustion though.”

                “Oh...I have an idea.” He got up and pulled some spare clothes with him.

                After changing and getting dressed, he made his way to the second-floor kitchen and grabbed a glass and spoon. He filled it with water and made his way back up the stairs. He focused on his glands and his mouth filled with saliva. He dropped some of the tangy liquid into the water and stirred it.

                Walking back to Wooyoung’s bedside he handed over the glass. “I...well, I know it’ll make you feel better.”

                Wooyoung sat up and looked at the water. “You...”

                Chansung blushed, “there are other ways I can use my saliva to heal you, help you feel better, but I figured you could do with some water, too.”

                Wooyoung’s cheeks tinted pink but he accepted the glass. “Will it taste weird?”

                Chansung shrugged and sat on the floor once more, “maybe a little bit.”

                Wooyoung raised the glass to his lips and took a sip. “Mm...” He whimpered and his flush became worse.

                “Ah, are you okay?” He asked worriedly. “I know it can taste weird.”

                Wooyoung shook his head and took another sip. “I thought it was only good for regeneration.”

                Chansung shrugged, “healing, regeneration...neither me nor any of my siblings get sick thanks to this ability. Don’t know what that means for immunity though...”

                “No wonder you’re so healthy. Did you avoid taking it before to hide it..?”

                Chansung rubbed the back of his neck bashfully. “Y-yeah, kind of...people would kill to have an ability like this.”

                Wooyoung looked slightly miffed but didn’t press on it. “Is it more potent when you take it directly?”

                Chansung nibbled his bottom lip, but held his gaze, “yes...”

                Wooyoung stared at him for a long time. “It’s...from your mouth, right? Saliva...”

                Chansung nodded.

                Wooyoung whimpered again and looked at the glass. “How does it work?”

                “It works by strengthening your immune system and anti-bodies. When you have wounds like I did, it helps your muscle tissue repair itself. It’s like it works with your body naturally, I guess. Big cats sometimes are scavengers, but we’re also fighters. In the ancient days most cats had this ability. It’s different now...” He explained and drew circles in the blankets.

                “Interesting...” Wooyoung said softly and finished the glass. He settled back down and took a deep breath. “I think...I may have overstressed myself the past little while,” he chuckled.

                “I know you did...” He murmured and sat closer to him.

                “It is your fault, silly kit...” Wooyoung reached out and clasped the pendant around his neck. “I’m surprised you didn’t lose it.”

                Chansung smiled and gripped Wooyoung’s wrist. “I would never lose something so special.”

                This time, Chansung knew he wasn’t flushed because of his illness. Wooyoung’s fingers gently brushed against his neck. “What am I supposed to call your healing spit anyway?”

                Chansung laughed and rested his head on the bed. Those lovely fingers combed into his hair. “Hmm...I’ve never thought of what I might actually call it.” He smiled, “you don’t find it weird or erted?”

                “Oh...you saying that means there are other uses for it, huh?”

                Chansung couldn't help but blush.

                “It’s kept you alive, right?”

                Chansung’s expression fell and he trailed his gaze over Wooyoung’s face. “I’m sorry, about today...”

                “Don’t...don’t remind me.”

                “I feel like I haven’t succeeded in making you feel better.”

                Wooyoung smiled then and once more touched the pendant. “They’re memories of a time I don’t want to rule my life. I thought I’d gotten over it...but...”

                Chansung saw it in his gaze when he finally looked at him again. Pain. It faded quickly however, and turned into something that heated his body, a silent request. Without warning, his ears and tail appeared and he shuffled closer to Wooyoung. “Don’t remember then, and like everything else, just tell me when you’re ready.”

                Wooyoung smiled and pulled him close. “Can...you get me more water?”

                Chansung grinned, “liked it did you?”

                Wooyoung blushed again, “it helps.”

                “Did you even like the taste?”

                Wooyoung snorted and smirked, “I don’t know, it was diluted with water.”

                Cunning bastard, he just couldn’t give him a straight answer could he? “I could just add more...”

                Those silvery eyes narrowed and Chansung couldn’t help but chuckle. He made his way down to the kitchen with the empty glass, his heart pounding in his chest. He was nervous. They hadn’t even spoken about the kiss yet. Then again he had an excuse, he was in a daze, still recovering. Right now he was fully conscious and there were no injuries he could use as a excuse. He wanted to touch him so badly.

                When he finally made it back, Wooyoung was staring unseeing at his book. Chansung pulled it out of his hands and gave him the glass. Before he could pull away, Wooyoung gripped his hand. “Wait...” He said, eyes filled with panic; Chansung sat down beside him worried once more. “I know this is selfish...but I...” Wooyoung’s whole body was trembling, like he was fighting within himself. “I feel so messed up!” He groaned and released his wrist.

                “Hey, hey, relax. What’s wrong?” He asked. This was so different compared to earlier.

                Wooyoung sniffled a little and shook his head. “Nothing...”

                Frowning, Chansung sat back, but his very action of moving away caused Wooyoung to look at him. He wanted him close by...but he didn’t? “Something is wrong. I don't know if you want me close or not, Wooyoung.”

                Wooyoung whimpered and looked down at the glass. “I just don’t like being sick.”

                Chansung knew that wasn’t the answer, it wasn’t the truth. Wooyoung was hiding from him again. However, if Wooyoung grabbing him was anything to go by, it related to him. Sighing deeply, he couldn’t help but smile. “Sometimes you’re just too cute.”

                Wooyoung gave him a shocked look. Yet, he looked utterly exhausted. "I guess I know how you feel when I call you that."

                Chansung shrugged but lay down next to him. “Just drink that...I’ll stay right here until you get annoyed with me.”

                “That...”

                Chansung glanced up.

                Wooyoung was eyeing his glass. “That would never happen...”

                “Finish it and then rest.” He encouraged and Wooyoung did so.

                As soon as Chansung took the glass from him, and Wooyoung was comfortable, he was asleep.

***

Next chapter...Tenderness and Bitterness.