The Entrance of the Competition?

How Far Until Footprints Vanish - Undergoing Revision and Finalization

The Entrance of the Competition

*

              The air was rank with rage. Chansung kept his eyes pinned on the pacing tiger. He would not relent no matter what the cost. As much as he knew it wasn’t his place, he really didn’t like the vibe coming from the striped feline. His eyes followed him closely, waiting for any signal that he would switch to attack. Hearing a heavy exhale at his side, he risked a glance upwards to find Wooyoung shaking slightly, anger visibly showing on his face. The tiger growled catching Chansung's attention once more. But then, Wooyoung’s scent flared everywhere and he reeled from the intensity of it; the other feline seemed no better off. Chansung held his ground because he had been challenged, however he relaxed into a seated position, and sat as close to Wooyoung as he would permit.

                “I don’t think this makes for a good return visit, Dongwoon.” Wooyoung’s voice was low with an edge of hostility.

                “I was merely responding to a challenger.”

                “Don’t be such a brat, you challenged first.” Wooyoung shot back without hesitation.

                “How else am I supposed to react when the place I called ‘home’ has been invaded by another feline? And an alpha no less...

                “You called it ‘home’.” Wooyoung snapped, emphasing particular words spoken by the tiger.

                “It’s just like you to nitpick my words.”

                “Well, they are your words.”

                Chansung felt Wooyoung’s stare more than anything and bowed his head.

                “You’re so pathetic. How can you call yourself an alpha and bow your head like that?”

                Chansung snorted but wasn't offended in the least. How could he be? “I guess not all of us are born with humility.”

                “Come off your high horse. You're just trying to appease a tentative mate-"

                “You can antagonise and speak as ill of me as you wish, but don’t talk about Wooyoung like that!” He roared and jaunted forward. “He’s right here with us, you bastard.”

                ‘Dongwoon’ finally recoiled and the offensive stench of his scent relented slightly.

                Chansung felt Wooyoung’s hand against his back and he gazed up at him. “Sorry...”

                “Honestly, should I be mad or happy when you stick up for me..?” He whispered against his ear.

                Chansung brushed his head against his chin which earned a growl from the tiger.

                “You’ve changed, Dongwoon. I didn’t think you thought of me only as a hybrid to dominate.” Wooyoung said quietly.

                “That isn’t what I meant -"

                “Yes it was. As for my lovely friend here, he only responds to threats,” Wooyoung defended, “even I could tell your scent markers were intentional.”

                Chansung glanced up then and found Wooyoung giving him the ‘look’. He huffed and pawed at his clothes.

                “Please go inside, the both of you.” Wooyoung said, irritated.

                Dongwoon transformed back without a care and picked up his clothes.

                “Dongwoon!” Wooyoung had shielded his eyes. “You’re personality is as horrible as ever...”

                The bastard was on his blacklist. He bared his in public - proudly! Chansung relaxed instantly when he left. Wooyoung’s fist connected with his head though, causing him to bow down again.

                “You idiot, what were you thinking trying to fight, huh?” Wooyoung huffed as he began to pick up his things. “You’re still healing and you already try and – you didn’t need to get so protective.” He murmured, hugging Chansung's clothes tight. His gaze was on him again, pure silver irises trailed over him. “You...you’re really beautiful.” He said softly but then quickly shook his head. “I really am mad! I know, he...we have history, Dongwoon and I, but you...”

                Chansung glanced at him. “Then perhaps I should stay elsewhere.”

                Wooyoung’s fist once more connected with his head. “Yah! How many times do I have to tell you that I want you to stay here?” He grumbled and rose.

                "He greatly discomforts me and bothers me." Chansung exhaled noisily and slowly stalked after him. "I know how stressful things have been, and I know quite a bit of it has related to me. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you and Min-Jun wanted space." Wooyoung stopped abruptly which made him look up.

                Wooyoung turned around and knelt down in the snow. He was biting his lower lip and looking over him. “How can you say that to me after everything that’s happened? Do you really want to leave so badly?”

                Chansung pressed forward and rested his head against Wooyoung’s shoulder. “Of course not...”

                “Spirits Chansung,” Wooyoung murmured and trailed his hand along his fur. He leaned back a little and risked a glance up, where he once more found those shining, bright silver eyes. Back and forth Wooyoung's hand massaged under his chin. “You’re so beautiful. You’re a leopard panther, right?”

                “Yes...” He was so glad he was in his hybrid form. He would have died from the embarrassment by now. Or worse, he would have physically responded to the attention he was getting, and at this point he wouldn't deny how much he loved it.

                “I’m glad the pendant stays. It really suits you.” Nimble hands touched his ears and Chansung sat instantly. Not only that but he began purring. Wooyoung’s smile made him feel so calm. “Now, are you really a panther or do you produce melanin to hide your true form?”

                “My father is a leopard panther, my mother is a snow leopard. I guess my fur couldn't make up it's mind...

                “Your fur is so beautiful. I love how it fades from black to silver and white, it looks so cool with your spots. Kaiden is completely panther, right? Cho Hee has your mother’s eyes. What about your other siblings?” There was no mistaking the excitement in Wooyoung's voice.

                “I thought you were hungry.” Although he wouldn't lie, Wooyoung being so ecstatic really made his chest flutter with emotions.

                “Well, I know once we go inside you’re going back into your human form. Not that I don’t like your human form, I just...haven’t seen you like this before.” Wooyoung said and rubbed under his chin. "Your markings are so beautiful..."

                “I can turn back...” Chansung mused.

                “As much as I know you don't want to, please don't be bothered by Dongwoon too much. I know about his feelings towards me but I’ve never returned them. The way he spoke about me earlier, I’m used to it. That’s how it’s always been and I don’t expect him to change. His feelings come from his experience of being an Abandoned after all...” Wooyoung said and once more ran his hands over his ears. “I can’t get over how beautiful you are.”

                Chansung pressed his face into Wooyoung’s body, causing him to laugh, “Please stop embarrassing me. Don’t talk about him and then compliment me either, it makes me feel gross.”

                Wooyoung snickered and ruffled the fur on his head. “Yeah, sorry. I'm just between reeling over the fact that you're in your leopard form, and that he's actually here." He admitted. "I’ve been waiting a long time to see it, your leopard - or panther - whatever. It’s not fair it’s because you were responding to a challenge and territorial.” Wooyoung grumbled.

                “You...” Wooyoung rose up and continued on into the house. “Please give me my clothes back. Junho is going to have a scare.”

                “Relax, while I do share the same concerns this is also who you are. You are not Baron and he has to learn that.” Wooyoung opened the door and let him go first. “I may be being harsh but I want to be selfish and see you like this for as long as I can.”

                “Oh! Finally showed it to him did you?” Min-Jun asked. "Wow, seeing you in a different light, I've never seen markings like yours before."

                “It was...kind of involuntary.” Chansung admitted and made his way to the stairs.

                Hearing a gasp, he looked back at Junho. He thought he was going to find fear, instead it was surprise with small a tinge of anxiety. Junho actually approached him, although very tentatively.

                “Sorry, Junho, I hope I didn't scare you.”

                “No, it’s okay. It’s nice to actually see you like this in a more pleasant situation.”

                “Well, he could be a more pleasant fellow.”

                Both turned to find Dongwoon at the top of the stairs.

                Chansung growled but then felt that familiar hand on his back. Wooyoung carried on up past him and stood beside Dongwoon. “I really would appreciate you not tormenting Chansung. You really had no right to do what you did. I haven’t seen you in a long time either - not the best thing to do on your return.”

                Chansung really tried not to feel smug about that, but it was hard. He hopped up the stairs.

                “Oh, Chansung?” He looked back at Min-Jun. “Nichkhun is staying here at the house so I moved your things back into Wooyoung’s room. I hope that’s okay.”

                “As long as Wooyoung is alright with it I am.” He said and carried on up the stairs.

                Dongwoon gave him a nasty look but he moseyed on past him and into Wooyoung’s room. He was tired and he knew what would come if he didn't watch it. He needed to talk to Teri. It had been a while since he heard an update about the lynx kits. With everything that had happened it was likely they wouldn't visit for while.

                Collapsing onto his bed, he flopped onto his side and shut his eyes.

                “You’re really not feeling well, are you?” Wooyoung asked as he entered the room and shut the door.

                “I’ll survive.” He managed and rolled onto his opposite side. “Not being able to heal right away with my own abilities really set me back.”

                Wooyoung came to settle beside him. “Maybe you should get some rest, huh?”

                “I’ll be fine after a while.”

                Wooyoung’s hand was roaming over his body and over his ears. “I didn’t think you’d get that protective over me.”

                “I don’t know why you’re surprised. He didn’t really give me a choice. Besides, if there is something between-"

                Wooyoung squished his face. “I’m really beginning to think you’re trying to find every excuse to leave, kit.”

                “You’re wrong!” He said, finally able to regain his human form.

                Wooyoung’s face went beet red and shoved his clothes against him. “Okay, okay, relax, I’m covering my eyes so please at least put some pants on.”

                Chansung didn’t feel embarrassed. If anything, he had been more aware of Wooyoung’s gaze on him when he was in his leopard form. He did as told though and re-dressed quickly. “Decent...” He murmured. He held his hand out and Wooyoung clasped it. “If I didn’t know any better I’d say you looked disappointed.”

                Wooyoung smiled, “Teri is coming later today.”

                There he went changing the subject, although Chansung didn't mind. This was very much welcome news. “With the lynx babies?” He asked, not pressing on the prior topic.

                “Yes,” Wooyoung said happily. “I have to say...I’m really sad that Kaiden couldn’t stay with us, Cho Hee too. I wasn’t going to tell you but Min-Jun said that Kaiden absolutely refused to let your mother take him. He stayed with Cho Hee.”

                Chansung covered his eyes and hugged himself. “That really would’ve hurt her...”

                Wooyoung sighed and wrapped an arm around his waist. “If...you were able to roam freely again, return to the Capital, would you? If you weren’t wanted anymore by the authorities I mean.”

                Chansung tilted his head up, “would you come with me?”

                Wooyoung blushed and let him go. “Your siblings really want you nearby.”

                Chansung caught his wrist and pulled him back, “would you?”

                Wooyoung seemed to struggle with his answer, “probably not...I’m not sure.”

                Chansung smiled. He expected that kind of answer. “Let’s get something to eat, ne?” He received a nod and they continued on down the stairs.

                Junho sat with them while they ate and chatted. He looked a lot healthier and much more animated despite his arm being broken.

                “Ever since the case broke out a lot of hybrids have been coming forward with their own stories and there were more rescues. All parties in the government are supporting the new legislature and have actually said they want the bills to go into effect sooner.” Junho said as he peeled an orange. “Taecyeon may actually be home by Christmas, Wooyoung.”

                “I know not to get my hopes up.” The enigma said as he finished off his plate and went for seconds.

                “Hey, what are you going to do about Dongwoon?” Junho asked.

                Chansung also looked up at him curiously.

                “I wish I could say nothing, but I will have to speak with him.” Wooyoung said as he snuck a cheesecake.

                “I’m just...surprised that he came back.” Junho said softly. “Especially after-”

                Chansung noticed the warning look on Wooyoung’s face. “Did they say anything about the Catchers they arrested?” Chansung asked. He didn’t want to name names.

                “They’re all facing long-term sentences, there’s even talk about some facing the death penalty. There’s a lot of public outcry over that, calling it inhumane...” Junho looked nothing less than disgusted. “I've seen on some forums that...that Baron might be charged with additional crimes in the past. Someone said it's only rumours though, but I'm curious." Junho looked pale as he spoke and trembled, but he took a deep breath.

                "What else are people saying?" Wooyoung asked, with a soft smile.

                "The Council of Hybrids are still advocating for the steepest sentences and calling a halt to the fox research program. The hybrid support groups are calling the actions against the foxes over the past fifty decades a genocide and atrocious. All of the scientists working on the project are potentially going to be facing charges as well. The police have already raided their labs.” Junho explained and looked at his tea mug. “It’s said that they’ve had over two hundred foxes in their labs. They’re all being transported to a new sanctuary. There’s a project suggesting that they might even be given lands in the North West.”

                “Near Aninnik?” Chansung asked.

                Junho nodded.

                “Well, that’s good to hear.” Wooyoung said as he picked at his food. “It’s too bad they didn’t try to save them before...”

                “I know...” Junho said sadly. “Who knows, maybe foxes will return to Fortune, too.”

                Chansung nodded. They continued their meal in silence before getting back to work. Chansung helped Wooyoung with the baking that day, and didn’t see Min-Jun or Nichkhun until after the bakery closed. Dongwoon also did not make an appearance until Teri showed up with the lynx kits. They were big! Dongwoon brushed against his shoulder roughly as he walked past.

                Chansung paid him no heed and picked them all up. “Oh! You’re all so lively.” He laughed and rubbed his face against theirs.

                “Ah, that’s the happiest I’ve seen them in a while.” Teri said and sat at the kitchen.

                Chansung set the kittens down and fetched them some food. Coming to sit down, they crawled all over him to get food.

                “Yummy food, big brother!

                “Some more?”

                They pranced and danced all around Chansung and his hands and told him all kinds of stories about what they’d learned. They were soon joined by Junho.

                “Where’s Wooyoung? He was really excited when I told him the kittens were coming.” Teri said.

                “Ah...Dongwoon asked if he could talk to him.” Junho answered.

                “Oh?” Teri sat back and cuddled with one of the kittens. “So dramatic that one, I'm surprised Wooyoung even agreed.”

                “Ah well, they may not have parted on good terms, but Wooyoung has said that if the opportunity rose he would talk to him, try and get some closure.” Junho informed as he adjusted one of the kittens in his arms. “Besides, if anything did happen Nichkhun is upstairs, too.”

                Chansung sighed, "that doesn't comfort me in the least."

                Teri looked surprised. "Why?"

                Chansung shrugged, "he doesn't like me."

                “Oh, I wouldn't worry about him." Teri chuckled. "Nichkhun aside, what Dongwoon never learned was that just because someone is kind to you, that doesn’t mean they romantically love you. During his days as an Abandoned he was groomed to believe that any kind action warranted ual favours, and that is why so many people took advantage of him after he left here. He once believed that he had to give himself, mind and body, to Wooyoung and Min-Jun because they saved him. It's not easy to heal your mind of that type of thinking.” Teri sighed deeply and leaned back in her chair. “By the way, kitten,” Chansung did not like being called that.

                “What?”

                “You really pissed him off. Dongwoon really said some foul things about you when he got to my place, asked me a thousand questions about you too.” She chuckled and tilted her head.

                “Yeah, I don’t really care what he thinks of me-"

                “Hm, maybe, but I bet you'd love to hear he’s super jealous that Wooyoung ‘picked’ you over him earlier.” Teri laughed. “When I told him you’ve been sleeping in Wooyoung’s room since you got here he was furious. Even when he was healing, Wooyoung never let him in his room.”

                Teri knew exactly what to say to both rile him up and catch his interest.

                “Why did you have to antagonise him?” Junho asked.

                “Cats are funny.” Teri said. “I like seeing how they react. Let me tell you, there’s nothing more jealous than a cat hybrid.”

                “That’s no reason!” Junho scolded.

                Chansung couldn’t help but sigh, he needed to chill out.

                Min-Jun entered the back door and brushed off the snow. “Oh! Looks like a kitten party.” He said and walked over to them. “Teri, can I talk to you for a second?”

                “Of course...” She followed him down to the office.

                "Ah, I'll be right back, I need to use the washroom." Junho handed over the kit which was asleep on his lap before rising up and scooting off.

                Chansung couldn’t help feeling antsy that Wooyoung was alone with Dongwoon. He tried to focus on the sleeping lynx on his lap but it was hard. When Teri and Min-Jun came back into the kitchen, Chansung had the three kits asleep. They rested in their basket covered in blankets.

                “So, I promised to also talk to you about what happened.” Teri said. “The poison was specifically geared to cause muscle paralysis in low doses. From the amount that entered your bloodstreams Baron did intend to kill you. The injuries you sustained really didn’t help either, as I’m sure you both know.” She said and ran her hands over the lynx kits. “By the time you had reached the hospital it had already begun to affect your lungs. Wooyoung saw you then, as well as Taecyeon. You were on the brink of death.”

                All the blood in Chansung’s face drained. He felt sick and a cool sweat broke out over his skin. He was going into shock. He knew his situation had been serious, Wooyoung and his mother’s reactions had told enough. But actually hearing the prognosis and what was happening within his body after he had been stabbed, it disturbed him.

                "Come here, Chansung." Min-Jun said.

                Chansung rose up and sat beside Min-Jun. The bear rubbed his back and kept him close.

                “It was a combination of two poisons not necessarily lethal, but it was the potency.The only reason you two are both alive and breathing right now is because I've taken care of hybrids with the same combination.” Teri said and leaned back in her chair and gave them both hard looks. “I don’t care how many hybrids you two s saved, I don’t care how passionate you are about this, if I ever, ever, see that again, there is no force on earth that will stop me from sending you to the grave myself.” She lit up a cigarette. “Taecyeon damn near killed me when I told him I was working on the antidote. Wooyoung was a mess. Wooyoung has lost enough, Min-Jun. What do you think would have happened to him if he’d lost you or the leopard?”

                “I know, Teri.” Min-Jun said softly.

                “No, I don’t think you do know. I really don’t, because you haven’t hibernated in nearly ten years. I’m surprised you didn’t rip Hwang apart – especially when you haven’t been keeping in line with your natural cycle, you've honestly been pushing it way too much. Not to mention being a bear of your age and your capabilities, he’s lucky to be sitting at the table with us, and that he got you to stop from killing the reason - the catalyst for change, for hybrid rights.”

                Min-Jun did not retort.

                Teri turned to him. “And you...you little bastard, thank you, for saving Ellen and Junho, everyone who was stolen away.” She said softly. “I’m mad at you too, but I don't have the heart to bite your ear off yet, kitten.”

                Chansung bristled at the pet name but didn't press. He didn't want to incur any further wrath. “I’ve already gotten earfuls from everyone, trust me...”

                “Well, even if I am happy to hear that...thank you, too - to the both of you for doing what you did. Not many would go that length to save hybrids. Well, I know you would, but to that extent...no.”

                “Not like you to stutter so much, Teri.” Min-Jun teased.

                “Be quiet you, even I get emotional sometimes.”

                It wasn't intentional, but Chansung recalled the conversation he had with Taecyeon the first morning after he'd arrived. Dongwoon had indeed unsettled him and now his mind was trying to reason with why.

                “I think it was about 8 years ago another feline stumbled upon this place. He was in poor condition, barely had anything to him. Min-Jun and Wooyoung were the ones who primarily looked after him. I don’t think he would have survived much longer on his own. He was an Abandoned.”

                “All he knew was , it was all he knew to give. There are so many hybrids like him, lost, used, abused...This cat got really attached to Wooyoung to the point he vowed to marry him whenever he returned.”

                Chansung shot up and began to pace. His nerves were once again in overdrive. Dongwoon was that cat. He was the Abandoned that Min-Jun and Wooyoung had rescued. Dongwoon was the one who vowed to marry Wooyoung when he came back. He was overwhelmed by jealousy – well more now upon realising just who he had encountered that morning. Before he was conscious of it, he realised he had been pacing back and forth in his leopard form again and had been the focus on two curious gazes.       

                “Something bothering you, Chan?” Min-Jun asked knowingly.

                “You really piss me off sometimes.” He growled and walked around the table and nipped at his fingers.

                “You slip into your leopard so easily now. I think you should just be a leopard for a whole day to let it tone down.” Min-Jun said and rubbed the top of his head. “Or, you’re superbly jealous of a certain tiger.”

                “Don’t even speak of him to me...” Chansung growled and nipped at his fingers again. This time he pawed at his leg.

                Chansung noticed that Teri was staring at him. Returning the glance, her eyes flickered yellow.

                “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen another golden-eyed hybrid.” She said quietly. “Well, not a long time, but it’s rare to see gold eyes.”

                “I shouldn’t have been surprised when I found out he had regenerative abilities. He’s quite the character.” Min-Jun said and smoothed his hands over his ears. “I keep telling him he’s amazing but he never believes me.”

                “I won’t either, so stop.” Chansung couldn’t help but whine in approval as Min-Jun scratched around his ears. "Actually...there's something I wanted to ask you, Teri." He said and turned his attention in her direction.

               "Sure," she said.

               "I..." He glanced at Min-Jun who seemed to sense his anxiety.

               "Do you want me to go?"

               Chansung hesitated but shook his head. "You - we kind of already spoke about it."

               "Oh, the heat cycles conversation?"

               Nodding, he once more looked at Teri. "I need limiters."

               Teri's eyes widened, and while she could have , she didn't. "Sure, I have a couple different kinds."

               "Does it get that serious, Chansung?" Min-Jun asked as he rubbed the back of Chansung's neck.

               "Well...it's only happened a couple times." He admitted. "But I know I need them."

               "How soon do you need them? I can drop off the babies and Dongwoon then swing back."

               "I would appreciate it, but I can also wait until tomorrow."

               "Psh, no worries, I don't mind at all. I'm..." Teri paused and looked over him. "I'm surprised you've lasted this long."

               Min-Jun sat back, "So I was right, then?"

               Chansung glanced over him and nodded, "And you still sent your weasel after me."

               Min-Jun didn't laugh like Chansung thought he would. "I'm sorry, Chan."

               He shrugged, "It's not something...easy to divulge."

               "No, I suppose not." Min-Jun ran his thumb over his cheek. "You carry too much."

               "Indeed," Teri said. "I'm guessing you had some and ran out?"

               Chansung sighed, "yeah, but I wasn't sure if...I know the stigmas very well - first hand experience, too."

               "Don't feel alone, kiddo. I can understand why you feel apprehensive, and I have no doubts you've had less than pleasant experiences at times." Teri was too perceptive. "Don't worry, I'll get you what you need. What type do you usually have?"

               "Doesn't matter, they all work."

               "Well, I'll bring a bunch and if the type you usually have is there we'll get you set up with a proper prescription, free of charge." She said with a smile.

               "Thank you. I really appreciate it." His tail began to flick though, as he caught a whiff of that scent.

                “Oh, ready to go are you, Dongwoon?” Teri asked as she rose from the chair.

                “Yes,” the tiger said quietly.

                Chansung watched him as he made his way to the door.

                “You alright, kiddo?” Min-Jun asked as he rose from his chair.

                “I’m fine. If you wouldn’t mind, Min-Jun, I’d like to speak to you in the morning before I catch my train.”

                “You’re leaving Fortune so soon? Why not stay one more night so we can have a good chat?” Min-Jun asked as he walked forward.

                “I don’t have a purpose for staying that long anymore.” Dongwoon said and opened his arms as Teri settled the basket of lynx cubs within them.

                “Oh...I see. Well I’ll be up bright and early so drop by whenever.”

                “You’re catering a wedding in two days aren’t you?” Teri asked.

                “Yeah, but it’s only a small one; fifty-some-odd guests or something. Besides, I have three wonderful helpers now instead of just me and my babe.”

                "I'll be right back, Chansung." Teri said.

                "Thanks!" He called as he made his way to the stairs.

                The conversation faded as Chansung slowly made his way up the stairs and stood in Wooyoung’s bedroom doorway. He did not want to be in the same room as the tiger anymore. Although, nothing calmed him here either. The air was filled with arousal, panic, and bitterness. The arousal and panic were tinged with Dongwoon’s scent, so that eased him a little; however, even if they did get together Chansung couldn’t say anything. After all, it wasn’t very long ago that he succumbed to Jinwoon. He sat himself down. Wooyoung was nowhere in sight and his scent was missing. Feeling a finger trail along his ear, he turned and looked upon the one he was concerned for.

                “Back in your leopard form already?” Wooyoung asked as he made his way to his bed. His hair was still wet.

                “Are you okay?”

                Wooyoung let his towel drop to his shoulders and stretched out his arms above his head. “Is there a reason I shouldn’t be?”

                Chansung slowly made his way inside and sat a short distance from him. “The lynx kits are very happy.” He said. “They’re speaking pretty well now too. Wild hybrids always mature much faster...”

                “I hope I get to see them before they go. I would have come down tonight...but I really needed to have that conversation with Dongwoon.” Wooyoung said and continued to dry his hair.

                “Can I ask what about?”

                “Well...about Significants and life partners.”

                Chansung couldn’t resist snarling and looked dejectedly at the floor.

                “Well, are you going to come over here and be nosy or not?”

                Lifting his head, he rose up and made his way over. “He said he had no reason to stay in Fortune anymore.”

                “Yeah well...he’s not who I want to spend the rest of my life with, okay?” Wooyoung said and motioned for him to come closer. “Stop being so shy...”

                “I’m not being shy.” He said. No. He was feeling anxious.

                “Jealous then...”

                Chansung snorted, “I’m not.”

                “Liar, you can only say that because you’re a giant cat right now.”

                Chansung nabbed a pair of pajama pants and wandered out to the bathroom. Wooyoung’s laughter followed him. He made his way to the bathroom and slipped into the pants. Walking back out, he put on the shirt before speeding back to Wooyoung’s bedside, taking a sat on the floor.

                “I’m not,” he repeated.

                “Aw...” Wooyoung sighed. “Can you at least keep your ears out?”

                Chansung slumped against the bed and closed his eyes. Slowly his ears reappeared and so did his tail. He rested his head against his arms on the bed and met those silver eyes. His whole body heated instantly. Why couldn’t he just sit here innocently like he used to and talk with him? Where did all this come from? Or, was it always there and now he was just conscious of it?

                “You really make me nervous.”

                Chansung looked at him curiously, “why?”

                “I don’t know, the aura around you is different I guess, especially when your eyes are their natural colour.” Wooyoung admitted and slowly lay himself down in front of him. “Did you feel like he was competition?”

                Chansung flushed deeply. “That would mean I would need to admit things...”

                Wooyoung smiled.

                “What will you do if Min-Jun hibernates this winter?”

                “I don’t know, but I know I’ll be relieved.” He slowly reached out and rubbed his thumb over his right ear. “I really, really, really want him to sleep. I have a feeling that if he does, Taecyeon will remain within the territory of the hibernation den. I wouldn’t mind going with them, but one of us has to stay here. Can’t just up and leave the business and not have any income...”

                Chansung felt his eyes drooping. Wooyoung’s fingers felt heavenly.

                “Besides, he’s already overdue to head into a den. He might wait until Christmas, but I don’t think he will.”

                “You think he’ll go in earlier?”

                “Are you really going to sleep on the floor?”

                Chansung flushed and his eyes trailed over Wooyoung’s face and body. “What will you do if he goes in early?”

                “Have a merry little Christmas all to myself...” He murmured and ran a finger along his arm.

                “What about me?” He whined.

                Wooyoung chuckled. “You have some precious little siblings that really need their big brother.”

                “I’m not leaving you here by yourself.” Chansung huffed and sat up on the bed.

                Wooyoung looked so outrageously good strewn out comfortably beside him. He looked very relaxed too. “I don’t mind it-"

                Chansung smoothed his hand over his damp hair and shook his head.

                “You’re being way too serious. I miss the playful and cute Chansung.” Wooyoung pinched his cheek. “When are you going to drink with me again?”

                Chansung chuckled and lay down next to him. “Are we going to the pub?”

                “If you want, we could always just stay here and play cards – oh! We could play chess. I haven’t been able to play in a while.”

                Chansung pushed him.

                “What?” Wooyoung laughed.

                “You don’t play cards. I wouldn’t mind playing chess...I didn’t peg you as a board-game person.”

                Wooyoung smiled, “then we’ll think of a more interesting game.”

                “Will it be called, ‘I-feel-like-a-cotton-ball’ game?”

                Wooyoung shoved him off the bed and laughed. “Shut up you, that’s literally what I felt like okay?”

                Chansung grinned and rested on his knees. “We never did eat at Joan’s.”

                Wooyoung blinked several times, “yeah, you’re right. Well, why don’t we go tomorrow? We can invite Junho too. I’m sure Min-Jun and Nichkhun would love to go.”

                Chansung nodded. “Sounds like a plan.”

                “Oh, we’re also catering a wedding in two days.” Wooyoung sat up and fetched his day-planner. “It’s only a small one, ah...we also have deliveries tomorrow morning. Do you want to come with me?”

                Chansung shrugged. “Oh, I don’t know. I think you just want to keep seeing my leopard form.” He teased.

                “So!” Wooyoung grumbled. “I can take you out to the little grocer out of town and we can get some things that they don’t carry in town.”

                “Sounds like a busy day tomorrow.”

                “Guess we should sleep then, huh?”

                Chansung pouted. “So...did you really reject him?”

                Wooyoung sighed. “I wanted to end off on a pleasant note.”

                “It’ll set my mind at ease.”

                Wooyoung eyed him amused, “oh?”

                “Oh.”

                A pillow came flying into his face. “You’re taking on too many of my habits.”

                “Just showing you how annoying they are.”

                “Yeah, yeah, shut up.”

                Chansung settled down onto the mattress on the floor and couldn’t help but smile. He finally felt like everything was normal again.

                “Yes, I did reject him. Thought that was obvious...”

                “Then what did you talk about for so long?”

                “Things...” Wooyoung murmured.

                “Does he know what kind of hybrid you are?”

                “Damnit you, I knew if I answered your question a million more would come. Go to sleep, cat.”

                “Chansung, Teri is here!” Min-Jun called.

                Hopping up, Chansung smiled, "I do have a ton of questions."

                "Why is Teri here?"

                Chansung sped to the door and said quietly, "that's a secret."

                "What?!"

                Chansung made his way down to the kitchen and found Teri with a bag. "Thank you so much for bringing them so quickly." He said.

                "Can I do a quick check up? Now that...I know this about you, I have other things I want to look for." She said.

                Chansung nodded and sat down. She did a general check up and also took a blood sample.

                "I want you to know that you can talk to me anytime, okay? You got me a little anxious that you kept this hidden, so I just wanted to let you know that if you need anything don't hesitate to call me." She said and checked his heart rate and temperature. "I'm guessing you're still experiencing muscle fatigue?"

                "A bit, yes." He said.

                "Now, tell me which ones you take so I can order more."

                Teri fished out small boxes. Chansung spotted the one he usually took immediately. "This one." He said and checked over the label.

                "Okay, once a week in the morning. Normally you only require them once a week, but if you're finding you need to take them more regularly - one, we need to have a chat, and two, I'll figure out which brand would better suit your needs."

                For the first time, Chansung was struck by an odd feeling. He had never experienced this before. It was like...this was normal. Teri made him feel normal, that nothing was wrong with him, that he wasn't odd.

                "Always take with a meal, okay?" She said, and then looked concerned. "Are you okay?"

                "Don't worry, just...it means a lot to me, what you've done for me." He said with a shaky smile. "Thank you for being so understanding."

                Teri was quiet for a long moment and Chansung knew he caught a glimmer of tears in her eyes. "In the event of an emergency take one, two if needed but no more." She said as she wrote down the instructions. "I know you probably know all this but I am a doctor."

                "Really, Teri, I appreciate it." He said and looked over the label. "My...friend, she would sneak them for me." He said quietly.

                Teri looked over him slowly, "I can see that, I'm trying to not get choked up because you should've had this kind of support all your life. Your parents must know, right?"

                Chansung sighed, "yes, but...it's complicated."

                "I won't press, but I really mean it, Chansung. If you need to talk, just let me know. I know Min-Jun is good and I can tell you're attaching to him, but sometimes its just nice to have a doctor with your health in mind, no worries about judgment." She said with wink. "Plus, I...I sincerely do want you to be happy."

                "I really appreciate it."

                "You'd be fine to take one tonight, just have a glass of milk - and no not just because you're a cat." She chuckled.

                Chansung grinned, "will do."

                "You're definitely on the mend. I'm glad to see it. Keep up the natural cycle and capabilities, but call me if something happens."

                Chansung couldn't help but feel emotional. "You're so kind, even if you call me kitty."

                Teri gripped his shoulder, "Well, I could call you kitkat but I doubt you'd appreciate it."

                Chansung couldn't hold back the laughs, "please don't."

                "Alright, I'm off to all of the needy babies, a big ol' tiger included. Take care, Chansung." She said as she made her way to the door.

                "You as well!" He rose up and went to the fridge. Retrieving the milk carton, he couldn't help but sigh heavily. When he was done he thought about hiding the box. He got very good at it when he lived with his parents.

                "There's no judgment here, Chansung."

                Looking over at Min-Jun he shrugged. "I know."

                "Don't hide things from me anymore, okay?"

                Looking longingly at the bear, Chansung nodded. "You know you're the parent I wished I had, right?"

                Min-Jun smiled but also gave a shrug, "Your dad's okay."

                Chansung frowned as they made their way of the stairs. "I guess I feel a bit of what Wooyoung said a while back. I just...don't know where I fit in there."

                "Don't think about it too hard. If home is here, it's here. If it's somewhere you've yet to be, it is still out there." Min-Jun said as they stopped outside Wooyoung's bedroom door. "Get some rest."

                "You too."

                “Night babe!” Min-Jun cooed.

                “G’night!” Wooyoung said back.

                Chansung walked inside and took out a small bag from his pack. He slipped the box inside and then looked at Wooyoung who was reading a book.

                "No, I'm not going to ask." Wooyoung said and looked at him briefly. "Even if I want to..."

                Chansung smiled. "I'm not ready to share about it yet anyway."

                "I know..."

                Chansung grinned. He appreciated Wooyoung and Min-Jun so much. "What're you readin'?"

                Wooyoung closed the book and switched off the light. “Go to bed, I don’t want to deal with the crabby kitty in the morning. Although, sometimes you’re really cute and snuggly...”

                “I am not cute or snuggly, don't you dare call me kitty either.”

                “Yes, you are, don’t even try and argue with me about it. These are very accurate facts about you Hwang Chansung the kitty.”

                “Fine...” He grumbled, he almost shuddered. “Are we going to the shelter tomorrow too?”

                “A part of me doesn't want to...even if Min-Jun says it would be a good idea, I'm apprehensive.”

                Chansung lay restless. The image of Wooyoung so relaxed and teasing, he really had missed it. It took him a while but he finally felt the lull of sleep. Before he began to doze off, he heard a loud sigh. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

                Wooyoung exhaled again, “nothing.”

                “Don’t lie...” He murmured.

                It was quiet again for a while but Chansung knew he wasn’t sleeping. Rolling over, he saw the silhouette of Wooyoung’s body in the darkness. “I...just find the house is too quiet now. I don’t know when I’ll get used to it again.”

                “Yeah...me too.”

*

Next chapter...Saving Wooyoung