A Mischievous Fox

How Far Until Footprints Vanish - Undergoing Revision and Finalization

A Mischievous Fox

*

            It was no surprise Chansung woke up to find himself surrounded by his siblings and Wooyoung. Well, most of his siblings. Serenity and Cho Hee were missing.

            “They’re in the kitchen with Min-Jun.” Wooyoung sighed quietly.

            “When abouts did you wander down?” Chansung asked as he trailed his fingers down Wooyoung’s cheek.

            Heavy-lidded, dark, sleepy eyes met his own and it took everything within Chansung not to lean over and kiss him senseless. “Shut up you.”

            Smiling, Chansung snuggled back down.

            “You were dreaming…” Wooyoung murmured. “Serenity came and got me.”

            Chansung focused on a bit of light coming in through the curtains. “I don’t remember dreaming at all…” He admitted.

            “I guess it means you slept well.” Wooyoung teased and he closed his eyes. “She didn’t want me to leave.”

            Chansung returned his gaze to Wooyoung’s face. “You’re not lying to me are you?”

            “She was worried because you said ‘it won’t stop bleeding’.” Wooyoung said as had opened his eyes once again, this time they were silver.

            “Oh…” The image of the white fox surfaced in Chansung’s mind then.

            “What wouldn’t stop bleeding, Chansung?”

            The way Wooyoung asked that question, there was a certain tone to his voice. It was fragile almost, like he was scared to know the answer.

            “It…” Chansung curled up slightly. “It was a memory.” He said and closed his eyes. "Now that - I'm not sure when it happens now. 12 years ago? 20?" He sighed.

            "Explain it to me how you remember it." Wooyoung encouraged.

            Taking a deep breath, he nodded.

            "When I was travelling with my parents after Serenity, Snow, and Cho Hee were born, we went - well, I guess the days were kind of the same, just 8 years apart." He sighed. "It was snowy, like it is now. I remember being sick of travelling and visiting relatives. I never got to go anywhere and I really wanted to explore. I remember it so clearly,” he said and smiled, “the train stopped and I had made up my mind to wander off. It was snowing and I walked off the train, but then this huge explosion happened. Everyone was going crazy. I lost sight of both my parents. Then, I saw her.” Chansung could see the fox limping as clear as day in his mind. “A pure white fox.”

            “I can still see...the blood on her fur and feel her fear. I didn’t know what I was thinking but I knew I had to save her, somehow. I picked her up and leapt into a tree. It was the first time I saw the researchers studying the fox realm as well.” He swallowed hard then and opened his eyes finally. He didn’t expect the expression on Wooyoung’s face. He looked...melancholic.

            Thinking back to his memory, and being at the pool of water, he immediately was reminded of the time he and Wooyoung visited. He went very still and then sat up quickly.

            “You know about the Realm pools, Wooyoung, do you know of any incidences that occurred at one 12 years ago? Or I guess I should say 20 now...”

            Wooyoung looked upon him distantly, “20 years ago, yes.” He slowly sat up. “So, this dream - or memory, did it begin with seeing a white fox?”

            “That’s how the memory always starts, but it ends with a silver fox.” Chansung noticed him becoming anxious. “I don't understand why I see my siblings though."

            “It sounds like whatever memory you do have of that day, it was jumbled with the incident that happened with your siblings. You didn't mention them, only your parents. What do you remember of your parents at that time?”

            “My siblings...were with my mother. So I guess she may not have been there.” He faced forward and gripped the blankets tightly. "I don't know why she wouldn't have travelled with us, though."

            "Have you ever spoken to your father about it?"

            "Yeah, but, if he was there, why wouldn't he tell me about the incident 20 years ago?"

            Wooyoung looked troubled. "As someone who...has had to hide things, I can only think that maybe there are things they don't want people to remember. Although, perhaps, they may not understand what happened that day either. Maybe both..."

            Chansung worried his bottom lip. That same annoying headache he got when he was trying to remember that time was forming between his eyes.

            “I understand that this might seem confusing...but - asking Min-Jun or Teri may be a good idea then. They must know something because I was too young.” Wooyoung went quiet as Ae Cha shuffled and then gripped his shirt. “I’m going to stay with them and keep resting. Why not go check on the girls.”

            “You’re really hiding something from me.”

            Wooyoung smiled secretively, but he also looked a bit sad. “I'll be honest with you, I am. I have my reasons for why I can't say anything right now.”

            Chansung would have to respect that, no matter how badly he wanted to know. “Go back to sleep.” Chansung said and brushed his fingers over Wooyoung’s forehead.

            “I do want to tell you. I just...can’t yet.”

            Chansung nodded. “I understand. Don’t stress it, just rest.”

            Looking over at Snow, he leaned down and gently kissed his brother’s temple before getting to his feet and wandering down into the bakery. Sure enough, Serenity and Cho Hee were seated at the table with breakfast. He sat next to Cho Hee and ruffled her hair.

           “Ah!” She growled. “You always do that to me in the morning, big brother.” She grumbled. Her features softened a bit. “I guess I missed it...”

           “Before the brothers and Ae Cha wake up tell me what mama said before you came.”

           Serenity sighed and they shared a look. “All we were allowed to do was deliver the letter. Mama wanted us to tell you it was time to come home. I didn’t want to say anything...” She explained.

           Chansung pinched the bridge of his nose. As much as he didn't want to return to the Capital, he had reason to now.

           Cho Hee sighed heavily and stirred her cereal. “You’re happier here, so...why not stay here? There’s no reason to come home. She’d just be mean like always anyway.” She said suddenly.

           “Family troubles at home, Chansung?” Min-Jun asked as he came to sit on the other side of the table.

           “It’s not a new thing.” He said and exhaled noisily through his nose. “How is papa?”

           “He’s always at the office with Mr. Kim.” Serenity answered. “He told us that once the bills are passed he won’t need to go to work until the New Year.”          

           “I know I would like that...” He said and rubbed the back of his neck. "I want him to rest for a while.”

           “Brother, we all agreed, me, Cho Hee, Snow, Ae Cha and Kaiden, that if you don’t come back, then at least Kaiden and Ae Cha should stay with you. We do have to go back to school, but they don’t.” Serenity said and brought her dishes to the sink.

           “You've really been putting a lot of thought into all of this haven't you?”

           Both girls nodded.

           “We...we...” Cho Hee’s eyes filled with tears. “Mama has been really mean, more than usual. She's been scary too.”

           Serenity nodded in agreement and gripped her night clothes tightly.

           Chansung had wondered how much his siblings had gone through in the time that he left. They were becoming far too mature and too fast. Serenity had always acted a little old for her age, but this was too much for him. Cho Hee was always bubbly and out-going, and while she was still like that, she never would have said those kinds of things before.

            “Tell me about school. What’s new?”

           Cho Hee lit up instantly and told him all about the filly and their promise to do well in school together. Serenity talked about her math classes and some books she liked.

            “Snow got into some fights with other purebred kids. They said we weren’t worthy to have gold and silver eyes because we don't live by class codes.”

           Chansung almost broke his glass. “Yeah, I went through the same thing in grade school.”

           “I don’t like it, big brother. Mama has started to get so mad at us, over small things, too.” Cho Hee huffed and stuffed her face with soggy cereal. “I just wanna be a kid...”

            Chansung leaned back and laughed. “Well, maybe after papa isn’t so busy things will start to change. I know I’ll be coming home in the new year so I’ll be able to talk to mama then, too.”

            “Chansung?”

            Turning to the stairs, Wooyoung stood there rubbing his eyes. “Yes?”

            “Can I talk to you a second?”

            Rising from his seat, he heard a snicker from Cho Hee. Serenity gave a shrug of her shoulders and shooed him. Brats. He did miss them. He went with Wooyoung up the stairs and to his room.

            Once there, Wooyoung’s arms slid around his middle and he rested his head against his chest.

            “You okay?”

            “Mmm...just needed to touch you.” Wooyoung admitted.

            Swooning, he hugged him back and smiled, “but I was just with you. You’re always so cute in the morning.”

            “Shut up...”

            Chansung reached up and pulled at his cheeks, “my sisters have really keen senses you know.”

            “I know, I love it.” Wooyoung chuckled. “Cho Hee woke up before I settled down to sleep and asked if she could have a snack last night. She said, ‘it really feels like a family sleeping together’. It took everything in me not to feel shy.”

            “They all really like you, and they really want to come and stay here next summer. I’d like to get them away from the city; even if it was frustrating at times that is what helped me a lot when I was growing up.” Chansung brushed his hands through Wooyoung’s hair and rested them on the back of his neck. “Are you sure you’re okay? I don't want you to feel bothered for not being able to share with me. I'd rather that happen when you're ready.”

            “I appreciate it, it means a lot.”

            Chansung nodded in agreement. “I’m really not bothered if you don’t feel like sharing yet. It’s honestly okay.”

            Wooyoung looked up at him and moved to speak but didn’t. Instead he just collapsed against him and held him close. It worried Chansung a little but he would let it slide for now.

            “You really won’t understand right now how much I appreciate you saying that; it means a lot to me.” Wooyoung said and he gave him one last squeeze. “We should get ready for the day.”

            Chansung nodded and they collected their clothes. Wooyoung headed down into the main kitchen while Chansung carried Snow, Ae Cha and Kaiden to Wooyoung’s room. They slept on like nothing had happened. Making his way back down into the kitchen, Cho Hee was with Min-Jun and Serenity was helping Wooyoung. He prepared the front of the bakery before heading back and joining them. The decision on whether or not he was leaving with them lingered in his mind the whole day.

            It was when Fei came that everything changed. He was outside helping Min-Jun with their stock order when she arrived. She had a couple bags in her hands. “Oh, you two look busy.”

            “Yeah the holiday order is always the biggest.” Min-Jun said as he looked over his list. “We’re almost finished out here though, Fei, so why not head inside?”

            “Will do,” she said and then looked up at Chansung, “Is there a room where I can speak to you privately, later?”

            “Yeah,” he answered.

            “You can chat in the back to the office.” Min-Jun offered.

            “Perfect, see you in a little bit.”

            “Min-Jun…” Chansung started.

            “Hmm? What’s got you all antsy?” Min-Jun asked as he closed his booklet.

            “I don’t know, something just feels off.”

            Min-Jun stood at full height and looked over him carefully. “Just...take things as they come. You’ve been experiencing a lot of stressful situations lately and I just want you to relax.”

            Chansung couldn’t help but smile. “I’ll try.”

            When they finally finished up and made their way inside, only Snow and Cho Hee were in the kitchen with Fei. The unsettling feeling reared its head strongly and Chansung tried to put on a smile, but his nose was bothering him.

            “Something wrong?” Fei asked.

            Making his way to the office, each step felt like it was weighted with lead. He stopped at the doorway and turned around. “Why did you come here, Fei?”

            She looked surprised by his question. “What do you mean?”

            Whatever was making him feel off, on edge, was Fei. It shouldn’t be, Fei was one of his biggest supporters and she was far too important to him. “I'm catching a scent, or something else, but I can’t place it.”

            “Am I putting you on edge or something?” Fei asked bluntly. She took a sniff of her clothes. “I can’t think of anything.”

            “You don’t have it anymore.”

            Fei paused and then looked down at her hands. Her actions worried him a bit especially when she looked confused.

            “Say, what do you remember about the attack 12 years ago?”

            “I remember being scared to death.” She said and retained the confused expression as she looked upon him.

            “Do you remember if there was an attack on my family before the one 12 years ago?”

            Now even Fei’s scent was tinged with confusion. “Another one...perhaps. What does this have to do with now?”

            “Was there or wasn’t there?” He didn’t mean to be abrasive, and he regretted his tone when she straightened up, but then she nodded.

            Then she looked scared.

            “We aren’t kids anymore, and she isn’t here, so tell me.”

            Fei struggled with her words and then hugged herself. “It...scares me now even to talk about it.” She said and turned slightly. “Your mom...really didn’t want you to remember, so please understand, I’m still very much scared of her and to talk about it.”

            Chansung felt slightly sick. “She isn’t here.”

            “She might not be, but I’m still scared. I only brought it up with you once and what she did after that was enough.” Fei said with a soft bitter chuckle. “You might remember, I asked you, ‘did you save the fox at the pool?’”

            Chansung tilted his head, “but I’ve always talked about my dream to you.”

            “She never wanted you to remember, and I don’t know why, but Chansung...something has been off about her." She looked like she was gaining confidence. "There were two incidences, one in Aninnik 12 years ago, and one...20 years ago, here in Fortune.”

            Chansung felt a rippled of shivers speed up his arms and go down his back and legs. Fei had known this whole time. While he wanted to be upset, he needed to know about it more. “What can you tell me? Why...why are my memories of the two incidents mashed together?”

            Fei shrugged, “I’m not entirely sure. Whenever you brought up the Fortune incident your mother would dismiss it and say it was nothing more than a bad dream. Sometimes she would say that you were just so traumatised by what happened 12 years ago that your memory wasn't right. I don’t know what exactly she was trying to hide, maybe she was trying to protect you from something, but things were really weird around that time. Every time that incident was brought up she would just change and your dad...they always had fights about it.”

            Chansung was floored. He had been so confused about his memories and this journey, he wasn’t sure if it was right or not, or even where the drive to begin it really started. He knew it wasn’t some obtuse or silly obsession, and what Fei just revealed to him cemented that belief.

            “I’m wasn't going to ask why you didn’t tell me this before, but, Fei, I really would have liked to have known this.”

            “I know! I’m sorry, I know.” She said and gripped his arms. “I was just...I was scared, but I should’ve been brave. It isn’t like we can’t keep secrets.”

            Chansung leaned against the wall and looked over her. “At some point you stopped caring, because we have talked about foxes since forever. Even if you were afraid, you helped get me out of there.”

            “Well it took a while, but I knew you had to go. I saw it every day. I got tired of seeing her win and hurting your happiness. I wanted you to be happy.”

            Chansung smiled and noticed Snow coming towards them. “I’m working on getting there.” He said and cupped her chin gently.

            Snow gripped his hand, “bro, you need to talk to Wooyoung.”

            As if on cue, Wooyoung had entered the kitchen closely followed by Nichkhun.

            “Wooyoung!” Min-Jun came rushing down after them.

            Crying came from upstairs and Min-Jun cursed, “Chansung! Don't you dare let him go out that door!”

            Min-Jun was gone and Chansung returned to looking over Wooyoung.

            "What's going on..?" Chansung asked.

            "Come on, Wooyoung." Nichkhun said.

            "Please tell me." Chansung said softly, never taking his eyes off of Wooyoung.

            "I'm going to check on the kittens." Fei said and she walked passed.

            Chansung only caught a glimpse of it, the hurt expression on Wooyoung’s face as she went by, the way he tensed up.

            When their gazes finally met, Chansung felt something break inside.

            “Please brother Wooyoung, please stay!” Snow said and ran up to him.

            “Hey, it’s okay,” Wooyoung said as he knelt down. “I’m only going for a couple days.”

            “I don’t want you to go. Please, I want to spend a lot of time with you before we go home.” Snow said desperately holding onto Wooyoung tightly. “You make my brother happy and I want to see more of it.”

            “Snow, aren't you overreacting? He’s only going for a short while.” Chansung tried to console.

            “No! This is mama’s fault!” Snow yelled at him.

            “Snow, it isn’t anyone’s fault.” Wooyoung said softly.

            “Liar! Then stay.” Snow cried.

            Serenity came running down the stairs then.

            “I will come back. I just need to help Teri for a short while, okay?” Wooyoung explained and rubbed Snow’s back.

            “We're not bad, I promise.” Snow trembled. "I'm sorry-"

            “Listen Snow,” Wooyoung leaned back. “You are so good, like your big brother. I'm only going for a few days. You don’t have to worry. I’m not far away.”

            Snow’s shoulders collapsed and he broke away from Wooyoung, racing back up the stairs.

            Chansung looked over Serenity who was breathing deeply.

            “Wooyoung?” Chansung asked, trying to quell his anxiety.

            Nichkhun sighed, “I told you this was all a bad idea, babe. I’ll be outside.”

            “Teri called earlier to ask if Nichkhun and I could help around her clinic just for a couple days since she has a lot of patients.”

            Something was definitely wrong, Wooyoung avoided his gaze and was rubbing his arms.

            Chansung noticed Serenity shaking her head. “Hey...you’re not lying to me, are you?”

            Wooyoung gave him a tense smile, “no, kit.”

            Before Wooyoung could do anything, Chansung pulled him close and locked an arm around his waist. He never wanted to be forceful with Wooyoung, but he couldn’t help it, not now when absolutely nothing made sense. The desperation and the fear were far too strong.

            “You think I wouldn’t notice something is wrong just because you use my pet name? Give me a little credit, Wooyoung. Nothing about this is okay.” His words finally seemed to break the mask and panic arose in the smaller male.

            “I really and truly am only going for two days.”

            “Teri's place isn't far from here. You wouldn't need to leave, and Nickkhun is also going. So, what’s the other reason?” Chansung pressed, his arm beginning to tremble. "What are you trying to hide from me?"

            Wooyoung stared at him quietly. It was like he was looking into the eyes of the man Chansung met three months ago: unreadable, distant, and mysterious.

            “It’s my family, isn’t it? It’s my mom.”

            Wooyoung’s gaze and body language were suddenly filled with restlessness. “You'll take into account my opinion, right, about going home?” He asked quietly.

            A heaviness settled around them. “Yes…”

            “I want you to go back home with them.”

            Chansung felt like he had been doused with a bucket of water. He barely registered Serenity saying ‘no, please wait’ and tugging on both their hands. Slowly, Chansung released him. What was going on here? Why was Wooyoung pushing him away so extremely? As he made to say something, Wooyoung cupped his face with both hands.

            “Please,” Wooyoung gripped his shirt tight and looked directly into his eyes, “please listen to me.”

            “Why are you..?”

            “They want you with them, Chansung.”

            “Not like this, Wooyoung!” Serenity cried and tried to stop him.

            “Serenity, please let me go.” Wooyoung said. “Can I talk to your brother in private, please?”

            Serenity shook her head, “don’t hurt us too - because of her!”

            “Serenity-"

            "Fine, I know we're not worth it!" She ran.

            Stunned by Serenity's words, Wooyoung looked equally shocked. Chansung began to tremble.

            “What did Fei say to you? What did she give you?” Chansung felt anger rising up inside.

            Here he was again, blocked and unable to proceed forward once more because of his mother. How far she has gone to make sure he doesn’t remember, he had to know now.

            “It has nothing to do with Fei-”

            “It’s related to her. Everything changed after she got here.”

            Wooyoung whimpered and averted his gaze. He released him and stood back. “Listen, maybe we also need some time to think and some space.”

            Chansung never intended to ever run away from Wooyoung. He never thought he would feel so strongly for someone in his life, either, but he did. Bringing himself closer, to try and see if anything in Wooyoung’s face or his hidden scent could reveal the answers, he was becoming desperate. He was more than sure his mother was behind this, but whatever she was holding over Wooyoung was far stronger than his feelings.

            “I don’t need to think about this. If you want me to leave because I’m making you uncomfortable, because my mother is causing you pain, then I will. I won’t come back, Wooyoung, unless you ask me to. It seems my family causes you endless stress so I’ll respect your request. I'll leave.”

            Silver orbs shimmered with tears.

            “However," he cupped Wooyoung's face, "just know that whatever she said to you, my feelings for you are stronger than that. You’re stronger than this, so until you’re ready I’ll wait. I’ll wait for forever.” He kissed him heatedly and Wooyoung gripped his shirt and arm tightly. “If you want to let me go, fine, but I’ll wait for you at that damn train stop until the last second, because you know I want to be here by your side and nowhere else.”

            Wooyoung gasped and reached after him as he walked around him and towards the stairs. He had to walk away. He had to, because Wooyoung told him to go.

            For whatever reason, Wooyoung was pushing him away, even his siblings, so he had no choice. When he reached Wooyoung’s room, he collapsed to the floor and hugged himself tightly. A burning sensation flared in his body and he tried to quell his leopard.

            Hearing heavy footsteps, he didn’t look up. A tender hand rested on his arm and Min-Jun’s scent waved calmness over him. It helped, but it wasn’t enough.

            “She really has a way of terrorising and ruining people’s happiness, doesn’t she?”

            Chansung chuckled bitterly, “sometimes I wonder if we as her children are the same way?

            “Never, you’re all too cute and sweet.”

            Chansung closed his eyes.

            “You’re all very honest like your father, and you've got his heart.”

            “I don’t really know who my father is, Min-Jun.” Chansung admitted quietly. "I know he loves us, he would do anything in his power to protect us, but I don’t know him. He’s been fighting so long now, I’m not sure what for anymore.”

            Min-Jun sighed deeply and leaned against him more, “well, you’ve been running away from him all this time. He’s changed a lot - just as much as you I’d reckon.”

            Chansung fell silent at that. He wanted to believe that yes his father would change, but his mother was still trying to control his life. Chansung closed his eyes as Min-Jun began to run his hands through his hair and relaxed. Honestly, he didn’t know what he would do without the bear.

            “Calm now?”

            Nodding, Chansung turned slightly so he could finally look at Min-Jun. “We have met before haven’t we? A long time ago...”

            The bear sighed and looked off somewhere far, somewhere back in the past Chansung was sure; the one he couldn’t see. “Yes, we have.”

            Slowly, he lifted his hand and gripped Min-Jun’s tightly. “When I saw the white fox, right?”

            "Before. I've known you since you were a tiny sweet kitten." Min-Jun closed his eyes for a long time before returning his gaze. “For the Fortune incident I wasn’t there at the pool, but I stayed with you in the hospital.”

            Chansung felt a hurt start deep in his chest and tears formed in his eyes. “Why didn’t you tell me?” He asked weakly.

            The bear shrugged, “I wanted to know the Chansung of now, who came back to Fortune based on a nothing but a dream. I know it wasn’t fair to you, but I wondered who you would be if you never knew who I was, or that I was Taecyeon's partner. I guess I wanted to prove something to someone we both know. Very selfish on my part, but this cunning old bear had a motive, sure, but a reason.”

            Swallowing hard, Chansung allowed Min-Jun to hold him closer. “Did I meet your expectations?”

            This caused Min-Jun to laugh and he rubbed their noses together, “oh yes, Hwang Chansung, you did. In fact, you exceeded them.”

            While Chansung wanted to be mad, he just couldn’t, not with Min-Jun. “I like impressing you.” He couldn’t help but blush.

            “You just know I've got endless compliments for you.”

            That got Chansung grumbling but he still smiled. “That isn't it...”

            “I know, but I know you like them.” He said with a wink.

            “Min-Jun!”

            The bear elder wasn’t phased at all, instead he just held him and kept him close. “You’ve kept me grounded during a very tumultuous time, so...I can only hope I have been able to do the same.”

            “I think I would be much worse off if I didn’t have you here.” Chansung said and leaned back into him completely. “If you weren’t with me at the pool, who was? I know someone saved me.”

            “Taecyeon did.”

            Now it was just festering inside of him, the pain of not knowing exactly what had happened to him and not being able to properly thank those who saved his life.

            “What was my mother trying to keep me from?” He asked without hesitation. “What does she have against you and Wooyoung?”

            Min-Jun exhaled noisily through his nose. “Your mother…” He started and tightened his arms around Chansung’s middle. “She's never liked me. And, she especially doesn’t like me because I’m Taecyeon’s ‘male’ partner. Us both being red eyes on top that makes it ever worse. She never liked that someone who was so close to me was working with your dad, either.” Min-Jun said as he brushed his fingers through Chansung’s hair. “I...I don’t want you to repeat this anywhere. I never want you to tell Wooyoung.”

            Chansung looked up, “I promise.”

            “I don’t want you to repeat this to your siblings either, Fei included.”

            A little unnerved now, Chansung nodded.

            “Aurora was the reason behind Taecyeon and I separating.”

            Chansung went very still and gripped Min-Jun’s hands.

            “I don’t want you to take on any sort of guilt because of that, we both know she is capable of terrible things.”

            Chansung nodded, “yes…”

            “She blackmailed him into doing it, saying that if he didn’t, she would reveal me as his partner and that he was a red eye. At the time in his political career, it would have been destroyed everything. He wouldn't have been there to support your father.” Min-Jun was trembling slightly. Chansung could tell he didn’t often speak of this matter. “So, Taecyeon did what was necessary to ensure his social standing in the Capital. His other partner was always amicable, but his children have often expressed feeling they were nothing more than political statements.” Min-Jun chuckled bitterly. “They have a good relationship now, but yes, the social standing of a hybrid as we both know is highly determined by our Significants and our preferences.”

            "Time went on, and then, the incident here in Fortune happened. To this day, I still don't know how they knew you would be here. Now, what has kept us at a distance, was Wooyoung." Min-Jun sighed. "While it is possible for same- couples to have children, we're still at risk for discrimination and worse. I could have lived with that, but, even after all those years, after everything Taecyeon and Chung-Hee accomplished, she threatened to expose Wooyoung and to take him away from us if we ever made contact with you or your family. I could’ve never lived with that, ever. It was terrifying that one person wanted to ruin our lives so much. I've never understood why. And yet, here we are."

            It was a lot to swallow, but Chansung held strong. “I can't believe you welcomed me into your home after all of that, Min-Jun."

            "I had a choice to make. Could I be vengeful? Or, could I be a part of a change that so desperately needed to happen?" Min-Jun smiled at him with such fondness, Chansung ached inside. "So, I made my choice: change."

            "I appreciate that you felt you could tell me this, and honestly, be so selfless. But, this all proves just how far gone my mother is; it really isn’t fair to you, Wooyoung and Taecyeon.”

            “No, I suppose not, but I’ve endured. Wooyoung has suffered more because of this issue. I imagine if Taecyeon had never gone into politics our lives would have been different. Your father told me the same thing once upon a time.” Min-Jun held him even tighter. “Perhaps it’s a lot of things, but what I do know, and what I appreciate, is the little boy I met all those years ago hasn’t changed very much, and that you've grown into such a wonderful man. You’re facing a lot, but it’s the result of your parents, as well as mine and Taecyeon’s choices. Society too, I suppose is also to blame. I have a feeling that things will work out, but until then, let’s stick together and keep one another strong, okay?”

            “You don’t even need to ask.” Chansung said with a smile.

            “Now, why don’t you go and console your siblings and Fei. I have a feeling she has been used without her consent for one of your mother's schemes.” Min-Jun released him then and smiled as he turned around.

            “It is tearing me up inside that he left.”

            Min-Jun brushed his thumb against Chansung’s cheek. “Let me handle that.” He said and rose to his feet.

            Chansung soon followed and he made his way to the guest room. His siblings were huddled around Fei who looked utterly devastated.

            “Oh, this won’t do.”

            “Big brudder!” Kaiden cried as he came forward.

            Chansung scooped him up and kissed both his cheeks. He walked over to the bed and slid himself between Fei and Serenity.

            “This doesn’t feel like a very happy reunion, does it?” He said and kissed Serenity’s forehead.

            “You know I would never want to hurt you, right? I would never try to come between you and someone you love.” Fei said with rushed voice.

            “Don’t worry, I know. I think we should all rest. You’re at eight months, you can’t be stressing over me anymore. You’re gonna have little small ones soon.”

            “Where’s brother Wooyoung, big brother?” Ae Cha asked.

            “He’s just helping out a friend right now. You’ll get to see him before we go.”

            Serenity looked up at him with reddened eyes, tears already building in them again.

            “Uncle Min-Jun is going to need lots of help in the bakery tomorrow, so we’d best get rest so we can do the best we can, right?” Chansung encouraged and hugged Fei close to him. “Big sis is going to need help too, so will you all be okay?”

            “We will!”

            “Good, Christmas is coming soon so we need to be happy. I’ll be coming back home with you.” He said and looked at them all. “So have as much fun here as you can, okay?”

            Silence met him this time. Snow rose up and stormed out of the room, Serenity went soon after without a word.

            “I’m going to have fun.” Cho Hee proclaimed. “Uncle Kim needs us to be happy.” She said and got to her feet. “I’ll make sure Snow and Seren are good.”

            “Thanks babe.”

            Cho Hee smiled. “We do our best together.”

            “That’s right.” Chansung said and set Kaiden and Ae Cha on the floor. “Give me a couple minutes with sis and then we’ll come help clean up the bakery.”

            “Okay.” Cho Hee said and held Kaiden and Ae Cha’s hands.

            Fei shuffled to the edge of the bed.

            “It’s not your fault.”

            “I should’ve known better.” Fei hissed. “She told me it was a book for Wooyoung from Chung-Hee. I was so stupid!”

            “Do you remember what the book looked like?”

            “No, it was wrapped up.”

            “Only Wooyoung?”

            Fei nodded.

            “Well, I’m sure I’ll find out eventually.”

            Fei grabbed his hand and tugged him back, her eyes stern and set in a firm line.

            “What?”

            “How can you be so calm? Why don’t you go after him?”

            Chansung looked down at their joined hands before holding her fingers more firmly. “He needs space from me.”

            Fei stood up and gripped his shoulders, “It’s not you - it’s her!”

            “I don’t want to push him. I could never do that. There’s something...not right about all this, so I need to figure it out.”

            “Call her.”

            “No. I don’t want to give her the satisfaction.” Chansung said firmly. “I will not give her this.”

            Fei sighed but then her face became pained and she sat down. Her hand on her stomach, Chansung panicked slightly and knelt before her.

            “I’ll call Teri.”

            “No, no, it’ll pass.” She said and then was breathing deeply. “Aaron would be so disappointed if I gave birth up here.”

            “Are you sure you’re alright?” Chansung asked as he looked over her.

            “Maybe it would be better for me to see Teri, just to be safe.”

            Chansung nodded and helped her downstairs. “Min-Jun, Fei needs to see Teri.”

            “Perfect timing, I’m heading over there now. Get ready and I’ll drive us.” Min-Jun said.

            “Thank you, Min-Jun.” Fei said, her breathing even heavier. “If she’s okay with it maybe I should head back to the Capital tomorrow.”

            “That might be best.” Chansung said. “I’m worried about you.”

            Fei chuckled, “oh, I’ll be fine. Stop being a worry-wart.”

            Soon Chansung was standing in the doorway and waving them off, his siblings beside him doing the same.

            “Does this mean we won’t see brother Wooyoung?” Ae Cha asked as she looked up.

            “We’ll wait to see what Teri says, okay?” Chansung cooed as he picked her up.

            Setting up Ae Cha and Kaiden with some colouring books, Chansung got Serenity, Snow and Cho Hee to help him clean up the bakery. It was done in no time and soon they were all up in the guest bedroom and getting ready for sleep. Ae Cha, Snow and Serenity passed out immediately, while Kaiden and Cho Hee remained awake.

            “Can we wait with you downstairs?” Cho Hee asked.

            “Sure,” Chansung answered and they made their way into the bakery kitchen. Bundling Kaiden into a blanket, Chansung held him close and the little television. Cho Hee surfed through the channels until she found something she liked. As time went on they were soon both sleeping. He waited just a little bit before carrying them up and laying them down with the others.

            Before long he was back in the bakery kitchen with Min-Jun coming through the door with a big bag.

            “Oh, sorry I’m so late.” Min-Jun said and rested the bag on the table. “Teri asked for me to have a visitor tonight.”

            Chansung looked upon the bag. “That can’t be comfortable.”

            Min-Jun chuckled, “he’s quite the bastard sometimes when he's in a mood, and he's got a fickle temper.”

            Chansung noticed the bag move.

            “Fei is alright. She isn’t showing signs of going into labour but Teri did recommend heading back to the Capital tomorrow or soon.”

            That dampened Chansung’s spirits immensely, “yeah, I thought she might.”

            “Fei said she would be okay but Teri said if you guys were staying she wanted her there so she could monitor her.” Min-Jun explained. “Now, I want you to stay relaxed.” He said as he opened the bag.

            Instantly, a dark head shot out and the most irritated whine sounded throughout the room.

            Chansung’s breath caught in his throat.

            It was a fox!

            Not just any fox, either. It’s fur was beautiful and dark, and as they hopped out onto the counter, it’s tail and paws were tipped white.

            A silver fox.

            What was he supposed to do?!

            It was so mad! Making all these sounds in Min-Jun's direction, bearing it's teeth, and Min-Jun looked like this happened every day.

            Min-Jun’s chuckle brought him back to reality.

            “Min-Jun!”

            “Shh!”

            The fox scampered down onto the floor and hid behind Min-Jun.

            What was Chansung supposed to do?!

            “So cute.” Min-Jun cooed and then he laughed. “Go make yourself comfortable upstairs.” Min-Jun said as he shooed the fox along with his foot. “The house is closed until morning, and you're staying here whether you like it or not.”

            The fox bared its teeth again but did as told.

            Chansung watched as it walked, and then it was looking back at him on the stairs. The cheeky bugger snorted at him and then dashed up the stairs!

            “Rude little .” Min-Jun muttered. He sighed deeply and sat himself down. He looked exhausted.

            “That fox has been here before?”

            Min-Jun smirked, “yeah, and he’s a real piece of work.”

            The reality settled in Chansung’s mind once again and he was gripping Min-Jun’s shoulders. “Min-Jun! Min-Jun there is a fox here!”

            The bear was laughing and hugging him close. “There is.”

            “He’s a silver fox - I’ve only ever dreamed of a silver fox - oh spirits! I’m freakin’ out, Min-Jun!”

            “Shh, shh, calm down you’ll wake up the cubs!” Min-Jun quieted but was very much amused.

            Chansung was practically bouncing in place. He wanted to run a mile and back just to see if he was dreaming or not. “Sorry, I know he’s a guest but I just...wow.”

            Min-Jun rested a hand against Chansung’s cheek and he grinned, “He’ll be here in the morning. He’s quite the character.”

            Chansung felt like his heart was going to burst out of his chest.

            “Whoa now, have a seat.” Min-Jun guided him into a chair.

            Holding Min-Jun’s arms tightly, Chansung felt his eyes beginning to sting.

            “What’s the matter, Chan?”

            “Is he real?”

            Min-Jun laughed and hugged him close, “yes, he’s real. You saw me push him with my foot.”

            Chansung closed his eyes and leaned into Min-Jun.

            “You’re so cute.”

            “I don’t know what to do with myself - I feel like my heart is going to burst out of my chest or something.”

            “I think you should get some rest.” Min-Jun said and looked him over.

            Chansung nodded, “I don’t know if I’ll be able to.”

            Min-Jun had glanced over to the stairs and Chansung turned. The fox was there watching! How embarrassing!

            “I told you he likes foxes.”

            Chansung was screaming internally at Min-Jun, and it came out in the form of Chansung jerking him back and forth trying to silence him. The bear just laughed.

            The soft patter of paws upon the floor had Chansung trembling and not wanting to turn. Then, those cute little white paws were on his thigh and deep brown eyes were peering up at him. Then he was smelling and nudging Chansung’s hand. Could he really pet him? Raising his hand, Chansung ran his fingers between his ears and the fox was frozen. Was this the wrong move!? Beginning to panic, the fox then leaned into him and Chansung swore he could have melted into the floor.

            “Aw, how sweet.” Min-Jun snapped a picture.

            The fox whined but didn’t move from Chansung’s side. Was this real? Was a fox leaning against him, wagging it’s tail, and feeling this soft under his hand? It wasn’t possible.

            “Well, this is nice. This makes me happy.” Min-Jun said as he leaned against the counter.

            Chansung had been so riled up before but now he felt utterly exhausted.

            “Go sleep in Wooyoung’s room. We’ve got a full day tomorrow.” Min-Jun encouraged.

            “Okay…” Chansung said, but kept running his hand over the warm soft fur. The fox didn’t seem to want him to stop.

            “You can pet him all you want as you fall asleep. I don’t think he’ll be leaving your side.”

            Chansung didn’t know why but he was blushing hard. “Min-Jun…”

            “Go on, he’ll follow I’m sure of it.”

            Stopping his petting, Chansung waited until the fox moved off him and then walked to the stairs and stopped.

            Chansung looked up at Min-Jun once more. “I’m dreaming…”

            The bear pinched him immediately, and none too gently.

            “Yah!”

            The bear laughed and shooed him up the stairs. Chansung was anxious and apprehensive, but he did make his way up to Wooyoung's room. He managed to lie down and the fox did indeed follow. The fox came to nestle beside his pillow and Chansung resumed petting him. He didn't know why it was so calming. For a long time that's all he did: watch and pet the fox. He did it until he was drifting off, and he didn't dream, no. He felt calm.

*

Next chapter...A Significant's Heat