A Significant's Heat

How Far Until Footprints Vanish - Undergoing Revision and Finalization

A Significant's Heat

*

            The morning came and Chansung found himself alone. Maybe it had been a dream after all. Sitting up, he rubbed the back of his neck and took a deep breath. Slowly he turned to look to his right and saw the same mischievous brown eyes peeking at him from behind the door frame.

            “Ah!” He pointed, “you really are here!”

            The fox squeaked and hid.

            “Wait! I’m sorry!” He fell unceremoniously off the bed, and desperately crawled over to peek around the door frame.

            Sure enough, his eyes fell upon the lithe, dark furred, brown eyed fox from the night before. Now that he was calm he really looked at him. He was gorgeous. His fur looked like flowing silk and his eyes were very expressive. The white tipped tail and feet were beyond adorable. “Hm...so cute.”

            The fox’s tail gave a little wag and he sat up.

            Chansung lay himself down and slowly reached out but kept his hand a small distance away. The fox sniffed at his fingers before them and ducking his head under them. He jerked his hand back as a familiar warm sensation raced up his arm. A stirring of feelings welled up inside him.

            The fox, which did not seem to have the same reaction, yawned and stretched.

            Not being able to resist grinning, Chansung sat up, “you’re beautiful!”

            His head tilted.

            Chansung smiled. “You...don’t talk though, do you?”

            The fox shook his head and prodded down the hall to the stairs and sat at the edge. His tail flicked back and forth a few times before he was turning back and giving a soft call.

            “Alright, alright...” Chansung got dressed and made his way down.

            Finding the bear as well as Cho See and Serenity, both his sisters were as awestruck as he was; even more so since their ears and tails popped out. As the fox took their full attention, Chansung sidled up to the bear.

            “Min-Jun...do you think I should call Wooyoung?”

            “Maybe later, best not to rush with him, right?”

            Chansung sighed and nodded, “yeah...”

            “Oh, who do you want more, huh?" Min-Jun teased.

            Those words roused up such a flustered storm of emotions in Chansung he couldn't think of a way to respond.

            "Well, help me out. Cho Hee and Serenity are watching the cookies for me and Snow is still sleeping with Ae Cha and Kaiden. We can get to breakfast in a little while.”

            “Sounds good.” He said and looked down at the fox. He was honestly so beautiful.

            Chansung spent the entire day being followed by the fox. Sometimes he would feel him brush against his leg. Everytime he did it, Chansung could never resist kneeling down to pet him. Other times he found the fox seated with Cho Hee or Serenity, playing with them (or in Serenity's case he was patient and let her read to him). Min dropped by and helped out with the front.

            By evening, the business of the bakery dwindled down and Chansung noticed the fox at the door. Feeling a sense of dread well up inside him, he slowly came to stand next to him. “I...I know he told me to keep you here, but I can..." He looked down and those deep brown eyes were peering up at him. "I can let you go.”

            For a long time they were looking at each other. Chansung began to feel a little anxious about it. Slowly, the fox came to stand and leaned its front paws on his leg just like night before, and nipped at his fingers.

            “What? Want me to come out with you?”

            The fox nodded.

            “You really aren’t going to speak with me, are you?”

            The fox flopped over and played dead.

            “Oh come on...” He leaned down and rubbed his belly.

            Seeing that tail wag was honestly the best.

            “Alright, hold on a minute.” He gathered his clothes and opened the door.

            The fox ran into the backyard and raced around. Chansung came to sit on the box Min-Jun frequented when he had a smoke. His eyes followed the fox as he rolled and raced back and forth. He closed his eyes and rested his head back against the house. This was more than he could have ever asked for, and on the day before he left. Feeling the weight of the fox on his lap, he found him seated there panting.

            “Had a good time, did you?”

            The fox whimpered and wagged his tail.

            Chansung smiled and said quietly, “thank you...for lifting my spirits.” He slowly reached up and brushed his hand over his head. “I’m...really happy that I got to meet you. I can’t even imagine the stories you have...” He said and looked up at the stars. “I...” His voice wavers. “I should be really happy right now. I should be jumping every which way, excited, but...I can’t.”

            The fox brushed his head against his chin, and Chansung found himself looking into seemingly concerned dark brown eyes.

            “I thought that maybe if I finally got to meet a fox everything would go back to how it was, my journey would be complete, but it isn’t.” He smiled to himself. “I've found answers I so desperately longed for, filling empty places that ached. And, for the first time in my life...my whole being is filled with wanting one person. I’m consumed with an intense desire...to be with him, but...”

            Feeling a warm tongue lap at his cheek, he leaned back and wiped away his tears.

            “Sorry...”

            A soft whimper and a nudge from the fox had him smiling a little. The fox’s paws rested on his shoulders and the soft fur of its head nudged against his face. The fox felt so utterly warm and wonderful in his arms.

            “Tomorrow is going to hurt so much...when I get on that train.” He hugged the fox close and broke down. “I...I really love Wooyoung.” He gasped and covered his mouth.

            Then, an unrelenting heat filled his entire body. His mind began to haze and go fuzzy, and a sensation he had been fighting for weeks pooled in his stomach. He tried to take calming breaths, but it was no use. His mouth felt dry and his leopard was swirling inside him. The fox was panicking in front of him before bolting into the house.

            This was bad.

            This was bridging on a full Heat. Why was he reacting like this all of a sudden? Saliva slid down his chin and the heat grew worse. He collapsed into the snow and clenched his hands into fists.

            “Hot…” He murmured.

            “Chansung!”

            This was bad.

            Min-Jun was a red-eye and an alpha.

            “Just hold on.”

            Chansung was beginning to shake. He was feeling it deep inside, the want. He looked up at Min-Jun, and the scent of the alpha was too much for him. “It’s burning…”

            “I know. Just hold on.”

            “I don’t want to.” He gasped and rose up on his hands and knees. “It’s burning, Min-Jun.”

            “Don’t even try and tempt me you brat. You’re a few decades too young to try.” Min-Jun teased.

            Chansung felt something sharp enter his neck and he tried to move away from Min-Jun but he pinned him.

            “Nope, stay still.”

            Chansung was beginning to pant. He knew it would pass soon. He could trust Min-Jun. He trusted him with his life. As the Heat began escalate, he felt himself being rolled over. Min-Jun was resting two fingers against his pulse. It wasn’t passing.

            “Teri is coming. I only had one of those, but it doesn’t seem to be working well.” The bear said, his voice heavy.

            Chansung pulled Min-Jun close to him. The bear was hiding his scent but Chansung knew he could make the heat stop.

            “Chansung, let me go.”

            “Make it stop.”

            Those red eyes were filled with worry but Min-Jun shut them.

            “Please look at me.”

            “Chansung, you’re in heat, please stop.”

            Chansung shook his head, “I want it to stop.”

            “I’m going inside, okay? We are not succumbing to this.”

            Chansung was becoming desperate. He knew who he was saying this to but he didn’t care. The Heat was unbearable. He hadn't experienced anything like this before. Another scent overpowered Min-Jun's now, and it was driving him crazy. Catching Min-Jun's hand, Chansung felt a cool sensation from him, but it was fine. Min-Jun was an alpha and he smelled so good. He cared about Chansung.

            “Are you that easy?”

            Chansung growled but it came out weakly. “You don’t know what this feels like.”

            “Oh, I'm no stranger to a heat like this. Besides, I’m not the one you want.” Min-Jun chuckled as he tried to move away but Chansung wouldn’t let him. “Damnit Chansung.”

            “Wooyoung doesn’t want me.” The words spilled from his lips faster than he could think. It hurt him so much to say them. “I want him, Min-Jun. I want him...”

            The bear softened and nodded, “I know.”

            Chansung tried to let him go but his leopard was desperate. “Please don’t leave me…”

            “I’m not, I’m right here.” Min-Jun consoled. “But you have to let me go. I can’t...hold out much longer.”

            Chansung was beginning to shake, he would give in, at least it would be Min-Jun.

            “I know what you’re thinking, but please, Chansung, let me go.”

            It took everything in him to let the bear go. He hugged himself and tried to fight the heat. He tried to choke back his sobs, but the feelings were overwhelming.

            “Min-Jun!”

            Teri was between them.

            “I’m...going inside.” Min-Jun gasped.

            “Don’t worry, I’ve got him.” Teri assured and began rummaging through her bag. “Just one more minute, Chansung, one more.” She said and kept a warm hand against his neck. It felt so calming. “You’re going to feel a prick.”

            “Probably not a pleasant one.”

            Teri chuckled, “no, probably not what you want.”

            Chansung chuckled but shut his eyes as he was injected with something else. This one however, brought him back down immediately. He felt the chill of the snow then and how damp with sweat he was.

            “There we go, you’re coming down.” She soothed and fixed up her bag. “Let’s get you inside and into a shower, hey? Before you catch a cold.”

            Chansung nodded and she helped him up. He felt so weak. By the time he was showered and in warm, dry clothes, he was curled up on Wooyoung’s bed. Teri was checking him over and holding her head in one hand.

            “I was so scared I wouldn’t get here in time.” She admitted.

            Chansung smiled, “thank you.”

            “What happened?”

            Chansung was just as confused, “a fox was here. I was so excited last night. I’ve had to take limiters more than once a week...but yesterday was...heavy. I must have forgotten this morning.”

            Teri nodded, “Min-Jun is going to need a new supply of limiters. Although, for you to still be in heat after one dose…” She tapped her chin. “Only a Significant can do that.”

            Chansung’s eyes widened. The only one he was with was the fox. He barely knew him.

            “That dose was probably what kept you from slipping, but you still did a number on Min-Jun, and believe me he has seen it all.” Teri teased. "I don't think they're used to being around an omega of your caliber."

            This of course made Chansung blush and feel warm all over again.

            “He almost got his big cat.” She winked.

            “Please stop! Now you’re really embarrassing me. How am I going to face him after this?”

            “Oh don't worry so much. He probably got a kick out of it. You’re cute when you’re flustered.” She laughed but then she went very quiet. Her expression was almost troubled. She shook her head though and smiled once again. “You leave tomorrow, right?”

            Chansung sighed but nodded.

            She saddened then, “I wish you would stay. I can tell you want to.”

            Chansung closed his eyes. “I do.”

            “I’m not going to press, but…” She brushed her thumb along his cheek. “It's certainly been a whirlwind, hasn't it?” She was so calming. "You all deserve a break."

            Chansung looked up at her.

            “You all do.” She said firmly. “Fei is okay. But she is getting close.”

            “Yeah, I don’t want her to be travelling with all of my siblings alone and then go into labour.”

            “Yes, that would be pretty bad.” Teri chuckled, but then she touched his pulse.

            Chansung wasn’t calming down. The heat was dissipating, but it was still heavy within him.

            “I can say without a doubt, Chansung, this is a Heat reaction to a Significant. However, there is something else going on.” She said softly. “Have you had an episode like this before?”

            "No," Chansung sighed.

            “Your heat will be gone, but you’ll need to continue with limiters for about two days every 6 hours. This other need...can only be quenched by a parent. Are you rejecting one of them, or both?”

            Chansung didn’t want to answer.

            “Don’t keep it in, tell whomever you feel comfortable sharing it with, okay?”

            He nodded. “I will.”

            “Take your regular limiter at breakfast.” She said and got to her feet.

            “Thank you, Teri.”

            “I’ll be at the train station to see you off. I’ll have what you need then.”

            Chansung smiled, “It’s nice to have a doctor and a friend who cares.”

            Teri smiled sadly, “I care a lot, Chansung, and not just because Min-Jun loves you tons. I’m here whenever you need me.”

            “It means a lot.”

            She nodded and collected her things. “Rest well, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

*

            The heat, the emotions, and memories all filled Chansung’s dreams. It all began like usual, he was seated before the fire, the fox on the other side. The flames crackled and sparks shot off into the darkness. It was almost as if the light of the fire was the only thing keeping the dark from swallowing them whole. Every so often he would look up and the fox would be closer to him, and it was as if the very air around him would grow warmer and warmer. Then, its front paws touched his leg and its nose even closer. Chansung held his breath.

            The heat shot through him and he was gasping for air. He tried to reach out, but found his hand clasped by Min-Jun. The bear kept a firm grip on his hand and no matter how hard Chansung wanted to move forward, Min-Jun wouldn’t let him. However, he changed into Wooyoung. If he felt hot before, now it was like an inferno. He slowly lay back as Wooyoung came to crawl over him, taking his lips with passion.

            “How deeply do you want me, Chansung?”

            He never let him answer. Chansung couldn’t, he was far too overwhelmed.

            A flash of light flared around him and the fox was seated once more on the opposite side. Another flicker of light and it was speeding off into the moonlight. The darkness swirled and seemed to be cutting off the pathway. The blare of a train horn jerked him awake and he sat up in bed.

            Breathing hard, he looked around him and found his sleeping siblings. The only thing crossing his mind was: if he boarded that train he would lose the path to his goal. If he boarded the train he would lose his chance of finding the fox. But...Wooyoung told him to go.

            An ache, a painful, dull ache flourished in his chest. And, a headache was forming between his eyes and his mind felt foggy. He felt feverish and sick. Rising up from the bed he looked over his bags and found the journal, he had never read it again. Just that one morning before Junho took him on a tour of Fortune. He felt like he didn’t need to. Opening it, the book fell open to the picture. There was Wooyoung in Taecyeon’s arms, cute and mysterious as always. But then, he remembered something.

            Turning the pages, he came to it. The illustration of the charm. Suddenly, he was home, standing before his mother's vanity. Sitting there innocently beside her jewelry box was the charm. He gasped and looked down at the book again. He rushed to the door but then paused. If his mother did indeed have the charm...

            He knew he shouldn’t, but Chansung needed to speak with Min-Jun. He made his way into the hall and came to the bear’s bedroom door. He’d never been in this part of the house before but he didn’t know what else to do. He hesitated, but knocked.

            This went against everything that he was taught: never wake a sleeping bear, but he had to. It was a couple moments but soon a groggy Min-Jun was standing before him in the fluffiest flannel pajamas.

            “Chansung, it’s three in the morning.”

            “I know.”

            “You’re also still technically in heat.”

            Looking down at the picture, Chansung shrugged. “Nothing will happen.”

            “Oh?”

            Chansung looked up and turned the book towards him. "Do you know what this is? Have you seen it before?"

            Min-Jun's tired eyes looked upon the book and yawned. "It's a fox charm. Sometimes they're made to contain things, like when you want someone to keep good memories of loved ones passed on." He said and rubbed his face, but then paused.

            "I've seen this before." Chansung said with a rush of excitement.

            "Really..?" Min-Jun said softly. "Where?"

            Chansung gripped the book tight. "My mother has one."

            Min-Jun blanked but then he looked absolutely furious, eyes dark red. "Does she now?"

            Swallowing hard, Chansung looked down upon the page again, that gut feeling he experienced every now again was making him nauseous. Although, it could have been the heat too.

            "When I was little, I would always find it and it would calm me. I never knew what it was, but I knew she kept it in her jewerly box. One day, I didn't bring it back. I fell asleep with it. That's when I started having the dream. The morning after, my mom came to wake me up for school and she noticed I had it. She completely flipped out and asked me why I had it. After that, I never saw it again."

            "Well, that's mighty suspicious now isn't it?"

            Chansung looked over the drawing of the charm again. He had more questions than ever now. "I've got to find it. I've got to go back."

            "Yes, it's amazing how things just...happen, right?"

            "Well, I'm curious, did you know about this?"

            "I know that a certain fox spirit has been very angry about a certain charm for 20 years. I never imagined it was with your mother." Min-Jun admitted.

            Chansung slumped and then was looking at the picture of Taecyeon and Wooyoung.

            “What picture do you have?”

            Lifting it up, Min-Jun beckoned him in and reached for it. Chansung sat beside him and rested it in his hand. He looked over the photograph for a short while before sliding it onto his nightstand.

            “You can keep it, Chansung.” Min-Jun said as he once more settled down for the night. “Remember to take it with you in the morning.”

            “Are you sure?” He asked softly.

            “Perhaps now it’s where it’s supposed to be.” The bear said and rubbed his shoulder. “I can’t sleep either...to be honest.” He said quietly and rubbed the back of his neck. “My mind is going 100 miles an hour right now.”

            Chansung felt his lip beginning to tremble. “What else has she done, Min-Jun?” He gasped quietly and covered his mouth. The sadness surged up inside him. “Every time I think about...my life, my siblings, Fei, you, Wooyoung, Taecyeon, my dad...who else has she hurt? Why? What did we do to deserve this?”

            Min-Jun’s eyes swirled a very dark red once more. Chansung didn’t feel fear however, more like an overwhelming sadness. “I've wondered that for as long as I have known her.”

            Chansung smiled. “I used to think I was cursed, still do sometimes. Min-Jun...” He began to shake. “Is it me? Did I do something wrong?”

            The bear hugged him tightly, “you did nothing wrong. Don’t ever think that you did something wrong. You’ve done more than you realise for so many, especially this little family of mine.” Min-Jun edged back and held his face gently. “I can't give any reason that would console you over what your mother has done, and what she may have committed in the past. What I can tell you right now is it’s amazing how fate has brought us back together, that you’re here with me. It’s kind of surreal.”

            Chansung sighed and leaned into him completely.

            “Please...don’t stop being you just because it’s what your mother wants.”

            Chansung growled low, “did she hurt you when she was here, Min-Jun?”

            The bear smiled sadly, “that isn’t important-”

            “It’s important to me!” He rose up slightly but Min-Jun remained calm.

            “I think we need to talk about how you reacted to the fox.”

            Chansung made to speak but nothing came.

            “It was an intense reaction, but this has been building for a long time, hasn’t it?”

            Chansung’s brows furrowed, “I only met the fox yesterday.”

            Min-Jun chuckled, “in a way, yes.”

            Staring at Min-Jun, Chansung knew he said that on purpose. He felt the weight of the event now though. Everything had led him back here. Whatever happened here in Fortune 20 years ago, Chansung needed to find out. “He was here, Min-Jun.”

            “I know.”

            Chansung sought answers in the red depths of Min-Jun’s eyes. “I just wanted to meet him once. That’s all. To really meet him. I can take the pain-"

            “I’m not letting you go through anymore pain, not alone anyway.” Min-Jun interrupted and smoothed both his hands over Chansung’s hair. “No, it is time for this pain to end, for you to have answers.”

            Chansung’s throat felt tight, tears began forming in his eyes. “But I’m...I’m tired, Min-Jun. I know you can feel it. I’m at my limit.”

            Min-Jun did not relent and his scent became very soothing. “You’re not a quitter.”

            Chansung ducked his head under Min-Jun’s chin and tried to stop himself from becoming overly emotional. He hadn’t felt this kind of consolation in so long. “I’m sorry I depend on you so much. With everything my mom has done, this must be painful.”

            “Hey.” Min-Jun forced him to look up. “You are not your mother. I like you a heck of a lot more, and believe me, the only torture I got is probably what happened last night.”

            Chansung blushed.

            “The fact that you affected me so much last night means you’re rejecting me too, Chansung. I was nothing but another alpha. I think that’s what hurt me most, you still don’t want to let me in.”

            Chansung shut his eyes and gripped Min-Jun’s shirt tightly. “I'm sorry. I don’t understand what’s happened in my life. I don’t understand why I’ve felt so empty. Why...why couldn’t she have just been my mom? Why couldn’t she accept me?”

            Min-Jun let him cry. It wasn’t necessarily a release, but all of the pent of feelings were coming out.

            “Chansung, look at me.”

            He did so.

            “You don’t have to hold on to someone who doesn’t love you. I don’t want you to fall apart because your mother can’t see how much of an awesome cub you are. I’m sorry she couldn’t be what you wanted or who you needed - to be a mom who didn’t make you suffer and feel pain. I’m sorry.”

            Hearing Min-Jun say those things hit Chansung deep. “Do you love me, Min-Jun?”

            This made the bear smile and he brought their foreheads together. “I love you deeply, cub, you should be mine.”

            Chansung couldn’t help but sniffle. He felt warm all over. Warm because he felt that was so genuine, and he so wanted to hear those words for so long. “But I’m-"

            “You need to see your father, but I’ll be damned if I let you think you’re alone. If you want to be in my family, I won’t hesitate, Chansung. I’ll make you mine.”

            Not being able to help smiling and crying at the same time, Chansung let Min-Jun rock him back and forth.

            “Oh..?” Min-Jun cooed and tilted his head up. "I guess you don't show these pretty silver eyes to many, huh?"

            Chansung bit his lower lip hard. “My eyes haven't been able to go fully silver until now..." He admitted. "The longer I'm here in Fortune, the more the other comes back..."

            "That's curious..." Min-Jun said with great interest.

            “Brother…”

            Both turned to the door and found all five of his siblings looking distraught. Chansung tried to calm himself down but it was too late.

            “Brother is sad…” Ae Cha said softly.

            "Brother! Your eyes are silver!" Cho Hee exclaimed excitedly.

            Chansung smiled at her, "cool huh, just like yours."

            "So you do have two for real?" Snow was practically beaming. 

            "I did, once." Chansung said and ruffled his hair.

            “Well now you’re all here, I think all of us can make him happy.” Min-Jun said.

            Serenity shook her head and Snow grabbed his hand.

            “Why don’t you just stay here?” Cho Hee asked.

            Swallowing hard, he held his hand over his mouth and shook his head. “No, I’m - I have to go back and see dad... and mom, too.”

            Nothing surprised him more than seeing all their sad expressions.

            "I promise there is an important reason, it's going to help me and Uncle Kim and brother Wooyouung, dad too."

            Kaiden raised both his arms and Chansung lifted him into a tight embrace immediately. Soon both he and Min-Jun were surrounded by his siblings.

            “I don't care about the reason if coming home makes you like this, I don’t want you to.” Serenity said softly.

            “Me too…” Cho Hee agreed.

            “Can’t you keep him here with you Uncle Kim?” Snow asked.

            This hurt, so very, very much. He could both see and feel deeply the sadness of his siblings.

            Min-Jun sighed, “believe me I have tried, but your big brother has a point. And, I don’t think I’ll be letting you all out of my sights for a while. I’m coming with you, too.”

            Chansung turned to him abruptly. “What - Min-Jun-”

            “I’ve stood idly by for a long time. I’m also reaching my breaking point. I’m going to be there for you, and it’s about time I shared some words with Taecyeon, Chung-Hee and Aurora. And, finally be told the truth.” Min-Jun said as he kissed Ae Cha’s forehead. “You all stay here. I’ve got some things to do so keep resting, okay?”

            Chansung watched him as he drifted from the bed. He didn't know what was happening, but it was all he could hang on to. Whatever did happen, he knew that something had been unleashed within the bear, and there was no stopping him now.

*

Next Chapter...Desperate Train Stop Confession