The Seeker of Foxes

How Far Until Footprints Vanish - Undergoing Revision and Finalization

The Seeker of Foxes

*

Many years ago...

                 The world was flying by in a blur. His siblings cries had finally begun to settle when they arrived at a small town. His father tugged him along as they made their way to a van to travel to their next destination. Ever since his siblings had been born they did nothing but travel and see relatives. Chansung really wanted a change, a different life. Sure, he was being homeschooled by his father and learning about both human and hybrid history, but it wasn’t what he needed. He was desperate to leave and be on his own, doing what he wished.

                Looking up into the grey sky, light, tender snowflakes fluttered around him. He caught a whiff of a strange scent and then a large explosion set everyone into a frenzy. Realising he had lost sight of his father, he turned towards the sound of the blast. His gaze widened as he caught a glimpse of a small white form limping along towards the forest. What drew his attention most was the dark red stain marring it’s fur. The fox made constant frightful scans of the area. Without a second thought, he made his way over and scooped it up. It didn’t even struggle.

                Hearing loud voices approaching, and feeling the fox becoming agitated, he leapt up into a tree and wrapped his coat around the wounded hybrid. Checking it’s breath, he sighed in relief when he felt heat against his skin. All of his senses went on alert when the scent of gun powder and aggression filtered through his nose. A part of him had never believed this was real, that humans were hunting for wild hybrids, and more specifically foxes. As the loud bangs came closer, the fox began to squirm in his arms.

                “Shh, calm down, I'll protect you until they’re gone.” He whispered and ran his hands through the matted fur. This fox had been on the run for a long time.

                Noticing a group of people in uniform coming nearer, he held the fox closer to his chest. He mainly smelled humans, but hybrids could hide their scents so he didn’t know if any were hybrids or not. As they came by the tree they were hiding in, he climbed up higher and hid more effectively amongst the branches. Chansung recognised that some were military soldiers. He watched them scan the area, definitely looking for something - the fox! But then he noticed that there were scientists among them, and he recognised a few faces from the research project concerning the Fox Realm. When they finally moved on the fox sighed and relaxed completely in his arms.

                “That was too dangerous. You shouldn't have protected me.” She said weakly.

                “I’m sorry that this happened to you…”

                Her breathing grew heavier and heavier. “Don’t apologise for the humans…they are the ones who cannot learn.” She grew very still but then shuddered in pain and cried out softly, whimpering. “Young one…” She said through pained gasps. “I wish I did not have to ask you, but please, bring me to the pond deep in the forest. I will guide you.”

                Chansung rose up and leapt from tree to tree. Very soon he came to a deep part of the woods, everything was still as he landed with her in the clearing. Coming to the edge of a pond, the surface rippled only slightly as he sat down at the edge.

                 She opened her eyes and looked at him. “Thank you, young one.”

                “You’re the first fox I’ve ever met…and you’re dying.” He said gently. “This…is cruelty.”

                “You are kind. You will find others and save them, too.” She blinked slowly. “If only more people were like you. I would never regret having been born a fox.”

                Chansung shook his head at the sad confession. “Why are the humans chasing you?”

                “They…” She stopped and adjusted herself. “They asked me where the Fox Realm was and said I would live in luxury if I told them. I didn’t…and now here I am, dying.” She turned her head. “Walk out into the water and set me down. Then you must leave quickly. Do not remain in the water with me, do you understand?”

                Chansung held her tightly and looked out. There was something strange about this place. He nodded though, "I understand."

                Rising slowly, he waded out and set her down. She floated for a few minutes and he walked back to the water’s edge. When he got out a cool sensation came over him and a strange scent wafted throughout the air. He turned back quickly and found she was gone. The quiet and a relentless sadness came over him –

               

                “Chansung?”

 

                A soft voice called. Looking around he saw no one. Becoming frantic, he spotted a long trail of footprints. Tears streamed down his cheeks and he looked over the pond. Seated on the opposite side was a small silver fox.

 

                “Chansung?”

                Eyes snapping open, his gaze met ruffled blankets. A gentle hand was running through his hair, coaxing him into further consciousness, but helping him relax his fast beating heart and hard breathing. “That’s it…” Turning his attention up he found Min-Jun with a worried Wooyoung. “Just relax…” Min-Jun soothed and rested his hand against his forehead. “No fever. Go attend the bakery Wooyoung, we’ll be down soon.”

                “I'm okay…” Chansung murmured. Although, he wouldn’t deny how comfortable, warm and safe the touch made him. At least, that’s what he knew Min-Jun was conveying to him.

                Min-Jun chuckled, “Chansung, you’ve been asleep for a day and a half.”

                Startled, Chansung stared at him but didn’t budge. He was truly exhausted if he slept that long. It had happened before, he just didn’t think he would feel safe enough to do that here and so soon.

                “I know I’m disturbing you but you need to drink water and eat. You can go back to sleep after if you like. Although, Wooyoung would probably be against it. I coddle when necessary, but I was getting worried. You almost made me call a doctor I know to help”

                Chansung wanted nothing more than to curl up and rest until he was ready to function properly. He finally felt like he could relax.

                “I always knew cats loved sleep but I think you set a whole new record.” The older man mused and continued to ruffle his hair. “This is probably because you haven’t eaten a proper meal in a while, too.” Chansung tried to bat his hand away. “Hm…it’s like having a petulant child again, kinda nice. Your ears popped out by the way.”

                Eyes snapping open, fear and anxiety immediately wracked his entire body waking him completely. He rolled to his knees and checked himself over.

                Min-Jun’s laughter was loud and amused, wholeheartedly amused. Groaning, Chansung glared and rubbed his face. Looking around it came back to him slowly: disembarking the train, the friendly rabbit, coming to the bakery, an adorable yet sceptical puppy, a wise yet suspicious bear, and…Jang Wooyoung.

                “You really are a cat.”

                “Yes, I was born one. I’m going to be sour at you because you woke me.” Chansung admitted and gave Min-Jun an irritated smile. “It’s a bad trait-”

                “Nah, I’m used to it, but just remember I’m looking out for you, okay?” He asked as he slowly got to his feet.

                Deciding it was time to make himself presentable, he sought out some new clothes. "I know, I just can't help it when I haven't slept properly." Chansung scoured his bag but wasn’t finding much. 

                “Come with me, we’ll get your laundry sorted, some clean clothes, and some good food, alright?”

                Chansung perked up at the sound of a decent and real meal.

                Hearing a creak outside the room, his nose immediately caught a panicked scent, probably Junho. He followed Min-Jun to find the skittish pup holding the mail. He was frozen in place however, his ears and tail totally exposed. He looked slightly comical with his tense expression and wide eyes.             

                “Oh, did Wooyoung send you up as sacrifice to me, Junho?” He teased.

                Min-Jun gave him a snicker and a wink. At least he appreciated Chansung's sense of humour.

                “Hurry up and acclimatise already. We’re already behind today because Min-Jun and I were worried about you. Your cat coma is making you a slacker.” Wooyoung called from the bottom of the stairs. “Feed him and get on with the day.”

                Chansung, while his instinct would have been to remain dismissive – which he could do to Min-Jun partially and Junho more controllably – Wooyoung was a different story.

                “Oh my, made him mad - although he’s angry for a different reason. Don’t mind him, Chansung.” Min-Jun said and took the mail from Junho’s hands who then ran down the stairs. “Alright, food, work, and then laundry is the new order for today’s schedule.” Min-Jun announced and led the way down to the main floor. He scurried around the room, or moseyed would probably be the better descriptor, to get some food together. Junho was tackling the customer line, which was surprisingly extensive, and Wooyoung was making baked goods.

                When he finally had an adequate amount of food in his stomach, he let himself be ordered around. He was more content and less frazzled than when he had arrived and he was getting used to the three men quickly. Min-Jun was very welcoming and often touched his right arm which calmed him instantly. Chansung wondered if this was his experience with cats or just how he worked. Wooyoung made jokes with him every now and again and made him carry ingredients. Most often, he retrieved bags of flour, spices and other ingredients to wherever ordered by Min-Jun or Wooyoung. He learned how to mix the basic of dry ingredients for their recipes, enabling them to make things faster and more efficiently.

                Perhaps his favourite thing was staying beside the oven and checking on the baked goods. Wooyoung for it but he loved the smell of fresh baked bread and delicious goods, plus it was super warm. Whenever there was a low in patrons, Junho and Wooyoung would re-stock the front of the bakery and sure enough a whole new bunch of customers would wander in. It was amazing watching them work.

                “Alright, Junho and I are going to do some deliveries. When Chansung becomes more familiar with the town I’ll take him instead.” Wooyoung said as Junho began loading their van.

                “Oh, is that how you want to get more alone time with him, my eager babe?” Min-Jun said, wiggling his eyebrows.

                “You are an utter . It’ll make people want to come to the bakery more and get him acquainted with the town and regulars faster.” Wooyoung explained and checked his list. “Plus, he’s wearing your clothes and probably wants to get laundry done.”

                “Hm, I'm quite comfortable in Min-Jun's clothes.” Chansung commented and sat behind the counter.

                “That's because you're all nice and cozy in them…” Wooyoung said and flicked his nose. “I know you were sleeping deeply, but you had me worried.”

                Chansung flushed and looked away.

                “Were you dreaming of something sad?”

                Glancing at him he shrugged. “I’ll tell you later when you’re not busy.”

                Wooyoung tilted his head cutely and then stole away. “Later Min-Jun, don’t be bad!”

                “Yeah, yeah…” Min-Jun appeared at his side, unlit cigarette hanging from the side of his mouth. As soon as the door was closed, he older man sighed and sat beside him. “He really was super worried about you. I told him it’s normal when a big cat is exhausted, hasn’t been sleeping well, or not eating right.”

                “You really know a lot about big cat habits…”

                “You remind me of an old friend I don't speak to anymore." Min-Jun had a sad smile. He perked up, "Besides, this old bear does know a lot, but that isn’t important right now.” Min-Jun rested his cigarette onto the counter and gazed at him. “So tell me, Hwang Chansung, son of Hwang Aurora, why has it taken the fox-seeker himself so long to come to Fortune, the notorious last place of the foxes?”

                Nibbling on his bottom lip, Chansung hadn’t anticipated that Min-Jun would know who his mother was, or jump to interrogating him so quickly, or know so much. Hugging himself, he took a deep breath and smiled. “How do you know my mother’s name?”

                “Come now, a big cat that famous, it would be beneficial to know who she is. Your father is also a very prominent politician. You used to travel a lot when you were younger, right?”

                “Yes…” He answered slowly and turned his eyes to the front of the shop. “Interesting you bring that up…because that’s what started this whole journey of mine, plus me needing to break away from...certain things and finding my own place.” Chansung finally said and looked at him. “Have you heard about the fox hunts?” Min-Jun’s jaw tensed and his eyes darkened. “You have…well…I was witness to one while we were touring when I was younger. It’s…it’s what I was dreaming about this morning. I never like remembering it because I don’t understand it – well I do, but the – when I had to let the fox go, that’s the part I don’t understand.”

                “Start from the beginning.” Min-Jun encouraged.

                Chansung did so, beginning with the arrival and the explosions. He described the fox and her condition, and how he saved her from the soldiers and researchers. When he got to the pond in the deep wood, Min-Jun’s expression changed. He became mysterious again. “When I try and look around for her, there’s a small silver fox seated on the opposite side of the pond. I usually wake up then, or I follow after it and see an endless solitary track of footprints. Please…don’t share this…it’s a very important part of something from my past that I'm trying to understand. I don’t willingly share it often, especially after a certain incident. For some reason you make me feel comfortable to do so.” Min-Jun finally smiled. “My goal is to seek the answers to this, why did I feel a chill and what was that scent? What was the pool of water? Why did I see that fox and why do I want to follow it? Maybe I’ll find the answer when I get to the Fox Realm – I don’t know, I really don’t.”

                “Perhaps…” Min-Jun said and finally lit his cigarette. “You never know how far it’ll take to get your answers. But, just remember to keep an awareness of your immediate surroundings, it might surprise you.”

                Min-Jun’s words struck him in an interesting way. He didn’t want to press on it because he felt Min-Jun would just keep spinning him in circles. “Why do you have the fox emblem hanging there?”

                Min-Jun released a heavy breath and balanced the cancer stick between his lips. “Because of the history of this town, one of the last places foxes were seen. The fox has always been a very important figure in the stories and life around Fortune.” Min-Jun rose from his stool and walked over to the emblem. “Fortune actually has two annual festivals dedicated to the fox. Junho can take you on a tour tomorrow and tell you about it –”

                “But he doesn’t-”

                “You’re a good cat…and I know you can show him not all cats are bad.” Min-Jun retook his seat beside him and smashed his cigarette on an ashtray as some customers wandered in.

                “What happened to him?”

                “It’s not time for that story yet, nor is it my place to tell. What you should know is he is an Abandoned.”

                Chansung’s whole body tensed and he felt sick. Abandoned hybrids were once slaves who were put through extremely violent circumstances, or used primarily for a 'master’s' dominant needs. Junho was a very timid dog. Chansung didn’t want to know what would have made him that way, or so utterly insecure around him. “Then I really shouldn’t impose on you…”

                “When I first met him he wouldn’t even approach me. We helped him find a foster family, checked in on him, told him if he ever needed a safe place he was welcome. He said he wanted to work so I gave him a job. Whenever a cat would wander in he became completely submissive and nervous. The fact that he can tease you, that he is willing to go near where you sleep, means he trusts you. I know you will do good for him.” Min-Jun smiled as the patrons wandered up to the counter.

                “Oh, a new worker already, Min-Jun?” The woman asked and looked him over, “And a handsome one at that.”

                “Careful now, he’s already famous. I don’t want his ego to go through the roof.” He chuckled.

                “You do look familiar…” She said and accepted her bag of pastries.

                “I just have that kind of face. I hope you found everything you were looking for today.”

                “Oh, yes, this is my favourite place for chocolate pecan pastries.” She said and waved as she left.

                “And what if he freaks out around me when we’re alone together, isn’t that moving a bit too fast?”

                “Just…be open. You’re a cat so I know whatever catches your fancy is going to snare you. Learn about the city and go to the fox shrine with him. Wooyoung and I won’t be around the shop so that’s why I want you to tour with him.” Min-Jun said and nodded to the next customer.

                “Oh, where are you going?”

                “We’re catering a wedding tomorrow. So, you can sleep in and Junho will be by in the afternoon to take you around town. I would have Wooyoung do it but I do need his help.” Min-Jun explained. "Besides, I think you'd be good company for Junho."

                “You do?” He asked as he bagged the breads and desserts for the friendly man before them.

                "Yes." Min-Jun said with a tender smile.

                "You...only just met me, Min-Jun."

                "In a way, yes." Min-Jun said and looked up in thought. "I've met a lot of hybrids, Chansung. Each one has their own story, their own quirks and habits. You meet enough of them and you get pretty good at spotting the kind ones. For me, you're kind, Hwang Chansung. I know you're tired, but you're still here serving customers, not complaining at all. You're concerned about Junho, and thinking about how you might affect him. You make my baby laugh, which is hard to do, because he's a little punk and an , but endearingly so. I have my own reasons for trusting you and I'll leave it at that."

                Chansung gazed at him, seeing a whole new side to the aged bear. Min-Jun could see right through him, and while that would have unnerved him in the past, it was comforting to know he could tell him that but remain open. Min-Jun wanted to help him if he sought it. He was telling the truth. It must have been his purpose, or his desire to do things like this. “No one has…realised that about me so quickly.”

                “Oh..." Min-Jun rubbed his neck and back. "Okay, a bit more then." Chansung smiled. "You settled right in, Chansung. I know a lot of cats come and go, do as they wish…but you attached right away, even letting Wooyoung touch you on your first night. Letting me wake you up and not being totally aloof and utterly cattish afterwards. I want you to feel safe here because I know some of the history of your family. That history isn't here, and nor is class, or the hierarchies. For me, and for Wooyoung and Junho, you are a big cat who is wandering. I don’t know how long you will stay or if I can help, but that is completely up to you.”

                Chansung’s hands went slack and his whole body relaxed. “How’d you..?” Shaking his head he smiled. Something about Min-Jun was very familiar to him. It was undeniable that he knew he could trust him, but he needed to slow down, or he’d completely confess things he wasn’t ready to yet. He found a kinship that he knew was going to become very, very important to him.

                “So, do you like males or females, or both?” Min-Jun asked.

                Chansung covered his face and groaned. “Please don't ask me these things so suddenly.”

                “Oh, I like being direct with you. It's so refreshing.” Min-Jun chuckled. “I have one cub who gives back smack, and the other nearly faints if I so much as mention Significants.”

                “Let me guess, Junho?” The older man nodded and laughed. “You’re so bad to him.”

                “I’m a good kind of bad.”

                “Get out…” Chansung pushed him away and began serving the next customer. As Min-Jun’s hands slid around his waist he tried his best not to blush and make a mess.

                “Min-Jun, you’re teasing your cashiers too much.” The lady scolded.

                “This one is special, he’s new.”

                “Ah, I see.” She laughed and covered . “Where do you nab these handsome men anyway, Min-Jun? It’s unfair!” She smacked his hand.

                “They just migrate towards me I guess.” He teased and ran his hand down his stomach. Chansung tensed and caught his hand. “Hm, always a sensitive part.” Min-Jun teased and finally released him.

                “Don’t touch me there!” Chansung whined and shielded himself from Min-Jun’s pokes.

                “Hm, well, your hair and your neck, not stomach as per the usual. Now I know how to relax you and get the reactions I want.”

                Chansung fumed and attempted to poke Min-Jun back but the older man’s hands smoothed into his hair and began to massage his scalp. “Hmmmn…” He tried to resist but it felt too good. Realising Wooyoung was leaning against the counter he sighed. “Please make him stop…” He begged.

                Wooyoung grinned. “You didn’t even notice my approach. That’s a huge weak spot, Hwang.”

                “Are you trying to make me shift?” Chansung grumbled, feeling his hybrid gnawing at the surface of his mind. When Min-Jun stepped back, Chansung rose from the chair and went up against the wall. This bear was dangerous to his health and his sanity and he knew it.

                “Someone has to keep you on your toes.” Min-Jun laughed as he wandered away.

                Eyeing Wooyoung and Junho, more Wooyoung because Junho would never do that, the mysterious man shot him a knowing glance. Junho approached cautiously but slid into his chair.

                “Is he always like that?” He asked the younger.

                Junho tensed slightly but then relaxed and faced him. “Unfortunately yes…you just get used to it after a while.” He grumbled and leaned against the counter. “You looked like you were enjoying it…ert.”

                Chansung almost hissed but calmed himself and rolled his eyes instead while ruffling the pup’s hair. “Where can I do laundry and away from teasing, manipulative hands?”

                Wooyoung and Min-Jun burst into laughter. 

*

                As he waited for his laundry, and checked over the town map, he sat back and watched Min-Jun and Wooyoung go over the order for tomorrow. Junho was cleaning the front of the shop and packing some things for home. He was eager to ask about Junho’s family but he would wait until the guy felt close enough to let him be near without exhibiting anxiety. He didn’t know if that would ever happen but he hoped so. He didn’t want Junho to have a fear of cats.

                “Hey, Min-Jun, can I use your phone for like five minutes?”

                “Yeah, it’s down in the office in the back.” Min-Jun said and turned back to Wooyoung.

                Chansung strolled down the hall until he found the office. Sniffing the air, he snuck in and found the phone. It was a habit he had picked up, and while it was normal to him he was glad he hadn’t done it yet in front of the others. He didn't want to make them feel like he distrusted them. Discovering the phone he held it to his ear. He didn’t know if he was ready to speak to either of his parents or not, but he had to call in. Dialing the number his hand began to shake. He hoped his mother wouldn't pick up, for various reasons.

                ~Hello?~

                Chansung’s eyes closed at the sound of his littlest sister. “Hey baby-"

                ~Big brother!~ She cheered. ~Why didn’t you call for so long?!~

                “I was in the country and there aren’t any phones out there, remember?”

                ~Big brother I miss you.~ She said softly. ~I get teased at daycare…~

                “Oh no, by who?”

                ~A coyote...~

                “Well, that doesn't good. Does papa know?”

                ~Big brother when are you coming home?~

                “I don’t know baby, big brother still hasn’t found what he’s looking for.”

                ~Is it because the bad men keep hurting hybrids, big brother?~

                Chansung closed his eyes. Now even his little sister knew what was happening. “Yes, I think they’re why. Big brother wants to help them…and people don’t like that, so he has to keep moving.”

                ~Are you safe?~

                Chansung smiled, “yes, I’m safe. Papa makes sure I am when I need it.”

                ~Chansung?~

                Sitting straighter, he tensed. “Hey mom.”

                ~Oh, you sound so tired.~ She soothed, instantly making him relax. ~We haven’t heard from you in nearly three months, kit. Where have you been?~

                “I was in the country for a while.”

                ~Hm…are you safe?~

                Chansung sighed, “yes…”

                ~They haven’t been coming to the house lately but I want you to be weary.~

                Hugging himself he pressed his forehead into the desk. “Mama…” Stopping, he shook his head. “I just wanted to call and check in. Do you know if Fei is in town?”

                ~As far as I know she is. She’s due in three months, Chansung.~

                Chansung bit his lip. “I know.”

                ~If you just-~ His mother’s voice grew stern.

                “How does Ae Cha know about Catchers?”

                His mother sighed. He heard her shuffle and hiss. He could just see her collapsed onto her chair, folding her arm across her stomach and staring at the ceiling. ~Well, it's the truth.~

                Chansung scowled. “Isn't it better to just tell her I'm travelling? She's only young...”

                ~Please, Chansung, do not start with this again.~

                “She's four years old-”

                ~You don't know what you're looking for, Chansung. If you just let this all go and come home, give the researchers what they want, you can come home - everything would be pardoned-~

                Hand tightening into a fist, he bared his teeth. “How dare you ask me to do that, after everything they've done to our family. I’ll try and call again soon, for dad. Tell them I love them.”

                Chansung hung up. Taking a deep breath he looked up at the ceiling. Gathering his nerves he picked up the phone again and dialed Fei’s number. It rang a few times before it clicked.

                ~Chansung?~

                Smiling instantly he ran his hands through his hair. “Hey beautiful.”

                ~You jackass! Where have you been?~

                “In the country, I came pretty close…but I was led in a new direction.”

                ~You…if I could smack you I would. You’re stressing me and my kits out you spaz brain.~

                “Hey, you don’t need to worry about me. Think about your husband and your babies.”

                ~Don’t talk like that it’s weird.~ Fei huffed. ~What am I supposed to tell them, ‘I’m sorry my babes your uncle makes your mama crazy because he wanders into the country and doesn’t call!'~

                “Uncle huh? I’d say it’s better I’m not around, then your uptight husband won’t feel threatened by me.” Chansung mused.

                ~Oh piss off. You're...you're my brother, Chansung.~ She said softly. ~Anyway, how you been? I miss your voice so speak to me.~

                Chansung chuckled and sat back. “I actually have a question for you.”

                ~Hm, okay, shoot.~

                “How did you know that Aaron was your partner?”

                Silence met his ear. As it grew and grew he thought maybe she had hung up. ~Wait…are you seriously asking me about mates and Significants right now?~

                “Um…yes?”

                ~You call me out of the blue and ask me about mates and Signifcants!? What is the world coming to that Hwang Chansung is asking me about this.~

                “Come on Fei, please. Don't tease me right now, I just talked...to her, and I...” He huffed and ran his hands through his hair roughly.

                ~Alright, sorry. I won't ask what she did...~ Fei murmured. ~Hm, let me think. It’s an odd sensation, like warmth goes throughout you. Like, if you touched arms, you would feel warmth or a jolt. Scent is a big thing for cats and canines, we live and breathe the scent of our Significant. I’m curious as to why you’re asking me about this Paws.~

                Chansung couldn’t help but purr at the sound of his nickname. “I’m just curious. You never know when I might be ready to settle down.”

                ~Hwang Chansung, so help me, if you like someone I have to be the first one to know because you have fought with me endlessly that it would never happen. Who did you attach to and what are they? Are they an alien?~

                “I’m just curious, nosy. I've just been feeling strange things. Could be because I was kind of actually serious about a wolf...” He admitted that at least.

                ~A wolf?! You? Serious about someone?~

                “Hey, I've been...sort of serious about others.”

                ~Yeah, right, and your mother is hailing for the gays.~

                Chansung couldn't help but snicker.

                ~Winter is coming, Chansung. The heat is going to come whether you want it to or not. It doesn't matter who it is, you've got to find someone.~

                “Fei!” He groaned and rubbed his cheeks. “I can’t just do that…I’m in a city where hybrids aren’t exactly commonplace, and it's small and gossipy.”

                ~You're in so small a place that if you had with someone it would run like wildfire through the place?~

                Chansung rolled his eyes. “Yes, it is that small. I'd better go, I don't wanna hog the phone line.”

                ~No! I still want to bother you about this, I miss teasing you.~ She whined.

                "I miss you, too." He said softly. "Do me a favour...check in with Star? I don't like what mom is talking about with her."

                ~She's getting...weird.~ Fei admitted. ~Like, she's been really paranoid lately.~

                "Yeah, she said something that worried me."

                Fei hummed. ~Anything you can tell me?~

                ~She wanted me to hand over my notes to the researchers."

                ~What?! I know she wants you to come home, but why the would she say that - wait, it's making me think of something.~ She sighed heavily. ~Cho Hee found a picture of someone with your father and she freaked out. She said the name on the back was Yong-Sun. Ring any bells?~

                Pain flared in Chansung's head and he leaned forward, gasping slightly. "No...I don't know that name. I've got a small headache."

                ~Take care of yourself, Chansung. Call me sooner and don’t leave me hanging for three months, Paws. If I lost you I would lose all sanity.~

                Smiling fondly he nodded. “I love you baby mama.”

                ~I will literally beat the hell out of you when I see you.~

                Laughing out loud, he shook his head. “Never change my Choco, never change.”

                ~Don’t even try and butter me up right now. I’m too pregnant and too mad.~

                “I seriously love you and I’m sorry. I'm worried about my little ones.”

                ~Your siblings are adorable. I don’t understand what's happening with your mom. I'll keep an eye on her. She's...yeah. I am worried, too. I don't understand how she could treat you or the small punks the way she does. You're all so sweet and smart.~

                Chansung felt sad suddenly. “You’re going to be such an awesome mom…”

                ~I wish you could come home, Paws. We all miss you. I know you have to do this and we’ll be patient, and this nonsense with the researchers..." She trailed off and sighed deeply. "We all just need to see you and make sure for ourselves, and not just from a phone call. I need to visibly see that you’re alright, and I hope I can do that soon.~

                Nodding, he closed his eyes. “I wish I could come home too. Keep that mate of yours in check or I will come home and make sure he knows his place.”

                ~He’s better now.~

                “Choco, he hurt you. I will kill him if he does it again.”

                ~I want you to come home to see us, to see me, not to save me or the kits.~ She pleaded. ~Take care of yourself, you sound like you need sleep.~

                “I’ll get there…”

                ~Alright, I gotta go, too. Being pregnant makes you hungry all the time and need to pee all the time, too, and it makes you angry and happy and everything.~

                “I didn’t need to know all that.”

                ~No, but you also did. Alright, I’m going. I love you, Paws.~

                “Love you…” Setting the phone down he sat back and let out a deep breath. So many things now worried him more than before. Making his way back to the laundry room, he found Wooyoung setting away the last of the supplies.

                “Your clothes are in the dryer. They should be done soon.” He said without looking at him.

                “Thank you…”

                Re-taking his seat, he watched Wooyoung work. It calmed him. He was very careful but quick with his hands. Chansung noticed subtle things he did while he worked. His lips would purse together when he was focused and his eyebrows would rise when he finished. Both jumped when the dryer beeped. Chansung moved over and opened it. Beginning to fold his clothes he couldn’t help but smile. For weeks he’d had nothing but his pack, his notes and his few possessions. Having clean clothes was such a luxury right now.

                “So, am I putting these back in your room or is the guest room clean?”

                “Min-Jun?! Is the guest room clean yet?!” Wooyoung yelled.

                “No!!”

                Wooyoung tsked and shook his head. “I guess you’re sticking with me.”

                “Sorry…I feel like I’m imposing on your space.”

                Wooyoung finally looked at him and his nostrils flared a bit. “If you were imposing on my space I would have made you sleep in the living room. We heat the upstairs more so it’s more convenient. Min-Jun already ate so hurry up and then we can eat and finally relax.”

                Chansung did as told. The strange and enigmatic man continued to surprise him. When he finally had all his things upstairs and bed made, he wandered back into the kitchen. Min-Jun was wearing glasses and looking over the newspaper. Wooyoung smiled at him briefly and motioned for him to sit.

                “So, you only worked half the day on your first, how’d you find it?” Min-Jun asked from behind his paper.

                “Good, I thought it would be more stressful but it wasn’t.”

                “I’m glad to hear that. Wooyoung, Chansung is going with Junho tomorrow so before you head up to bed show him which entrance to use and give him the spare key.”

                “Alright…” He murmured and began to eat.

                They ate in silence. Min-Jun bid them goodnight at around eight and made his way up the stairs. Chansung finished his meal and sat back content. “That was great.”

                “Thanks,” Wooyoung said with a small smile.

                “Baker and a cook, huh?”

                “Yes.” Wooyoung said and ran his finger around the rim of his glass. “Alright, before we get too lazy I’ll show you the back entrance.” He said and walked towards the back area.

                Chansung followed slowly, apprehensively. He hadn’t yet been to this part of the house. It wasn’t until now that he realised how large Min-Jun’s property was. The ground floor was the bakery, kitchen and back storage areas and office. The second floor was the living-room, a second kitchen, and a bathroom. The third floor had five bedrooms, one being Min-Jun's, one Wooyoung’s, and the guest room. What was in the other two rooms Chansung didn’t know. As they walked to the back, he realised that there was also an enclosed patio and garden. The fence rose high, and was adorned with vines and fading flowers.

                “So, this is the back entrance.” Wooyoung slipped on a pair of shoes and handed him a pair. “You come out here and go around the patio to the side.” Wooyoung pulled him along by his wrist and they came to the gate entrance. “We use this and the shop entrance during the day, but after closing time this is where we come in and out.” Chansung nodded and followed him back in. Wooyoung handed him a key. “Min-Jun and I are leaving early that’s why he went up to bed already. This is for this door. We’ll be back in the evening when the event is over so you don’t need to worry about checking the doors. We’ll need help off-loading though.”

                Chansung nodded and followed him up to the second floor and then third. He couldn’t deny feeling exhausted again.

                “You looked better than yesterday but you’ve had a flush around your cheeks all night.” Wooyoung commented and opened the door to their ‘shared’ room. Chansung collapsed and snuggled into his pillow.

                “I’ll feel better in a few days. It’s always hard for me coming from the outdoors to civilisation again. I don’t usually get sick but this time was particularly harsh.” He said and looked up at him. “Min-Jun is quite the interesting character.” He said. Wooyoung smiled gently and nodded. “When did you meet him?”

                Wooyoung shrugged. “Min-Jun has taken care of me for a long time.” He said quietly. “He’s weird, but he’s also very wise and caring. I’ve seen a lot of hybrids come and go through here and they always leave with a purpose.”

                “He sounds like an Elder…” He murmured.

                Wooyoung glanced at him. “You’ve met one before?”

                Chansung nodded and arched up onto his elbows. “I met a really old wolf while I was in the country. She decided to live outside and away from humans – although most wolves do anyway.” He pulled the blankets around him and turned his attention back. “If Min-Jun is an Elder he’d be the second bear Elder I have met. Out of all the hybrids I think they’re the wisest.”

                “Most times they’re the most powerful, too. I’m surprised the Wolf elder didn’t have a pack.”

                Chansung shrugged. “She lived in close vicinity to one. When I was there some of the betas brought her food, and they always came for advice. She was really respected.”

                “What colour was she?” Wooyoung asked as he lay down on his back.

                “Grey wolf…”

                Wooyoung sighed. “I can’t imagine what you’ve seen…the places you’ve been. The only place I know is Fortune and what I see on television.”

                “I imagine you’re pretty busy with the bakery.” Chansung inquired and looked up at him.

                Wooyoung hesitated but he shook his head. “No…it’s another reason. I do want to travel one day, I certainly have enough money for it. Maybe I’m just waiting for the right reason.” He turned to him. "It must be hard sometimes being away from home."

                Chansung nodded. “It’s tough…like…I miss my siblings and Fei. She’s gonna have kits soon.” He said fondly.

                “So, why not go home?”

                Chansung shrugged. “I can’t yet…and as much as I want to, I also like being away from there.” He admitted.

                “Really? I figure having a real home…would be kinda nice. I mean…I have a home with Min-Jun, but it sounds nice what you have, too. Siblings who want to be in your life.” Wooyoung had rolled over and faced away from him.

                “It is nice…but we all have different kinds of family. I think you’re in a pretty good spot.”

                Wooyoung didn’t reply. Chansung itched with the desire to comfort him but he didn’t know how. When he thought the other had fallen asleep he turned over again and smiled. “I think so too, and you’re right. Anyway, night, I don’t think I’ll wake you in the morning since you’re a pretty hard sleeper. But if I do I apologise in advance.”

                “When I’m better…I’m actually a morning person.” Chansung chuckled.

                “Hm, that’ll be great. Usually we start shift at 5:30AM.”

                Chansung nodded. “I’ll adjust…”

                Wooyoung smiled at him, genuinely. “I can’t wait to see that.”

                “Don’t make fun…” He grumbled.

                “I believe you!” Wooyoung laughed.

                “You better…”

                “Oh, poor kitty. I’ll make you a special lunch to prove it.” Wooyoung reached up and shut off the light. “Be careful with Junho tomorrow.”

                “I’m not going to hurt him. I was taught how to handle anxious pups.”

                “There’s a difference between wolf cubs and dog pups…” Wooyoung murmured.

                “I told you…” He yawned. “I’ve been to a lot of places. We’ll be alright tomorrow, I promise.”

                “I have faith in your morning-ness, but with Junho…I just won’t hold it against you if something happens.” Wooyoung confessed and yawned. “Cats are usually night prowlers, is that why you keep talking?”

                “No…” Chansung murmured and smiled lazily. “I’ll shut up…”

                “We’ll talk more later…” Wooyoung slowly trailed off.

                Chansung couldn’t help but think of how cute it was. One thing he had more confidence in now though was that he was sure Wooyoung was a hybrid. He was even more curious to find out what, but he was sure it was a canid. His mind drifted to the next day. He wasn’t worried about the following day with Junho. If he did offend or cause him to panic Junho was free to leave. Chansung was a quick study and he wouldn’t get lost. He was happy at the opportunity to be able to explore that last place foxes remained free.

*

Next Chapter...The Last Place of Fox Legends