Space

I Need a Hero
Please log in to read the full chapter

"I'll be going to work soon, Umma," Taekwoon said. He was sitting in front of his mother's grave, a place he always went to when he was really stressed. "I'm really sorry I haven't come to visit you as much as I should."

Taekwoon wasn't sure if visiting his mother and sisters' grave all the time was healthy, but that never stopped him. It had been eight years, but that doesn't mean his grief has gotten easier over time.

Taekwoon sighed, wiping the tears from his eyes. "I won't be able to stay for long. I'll visit my noonas' graves later this week." He started picking at the grass around him, ignoring how cold he was getting. "I wanted to tell you why my visits haven't been too regular lately." Taekwoon swallowed. He really didn't want to talk about his first reason, but he knew it had to be done.

"Appa is getting worse," Taekwoon began. "He still can't get a job and he's really depressed about it. A couple of weeks ago, he found out how much money I make. We've been fighting a lot more and I don't know what to do to help him." Taekwoon started rubbing his arms as he thought of this past week. "He still hurts me, Umma," he said before sobbing softly. "I'm scared because he's drowning in sorrow but he won't let anyone help him. Umma...you were always the one who knew what to do when Appa was sad."

"He apologized this morning," Taekwoon quickly added. "He hit me a few times last night but he apologized this morning."

Taekwoon bit his lip. "I'm sorry, Umma," he quickly said once he composed himself. "I didn't come here to worry you."

"I think I made some friends," Taekwoon announced, trying to brighten up the mood. "Hakyeon, Wonsik, Jaehwan, Hongbin, and Sanghyuk." He scratched at his hair. "They seem nice." Taekwoon sighed. "I haven't formed a real relationship in a really long time," he said with a scoff. "The person that's heard me speak the most is my boss." A tiny smile appeared on Taekwoon's face. "I've been hanging out with them for a few weeks now."

"Dohoon doesn't bother me that much anymore," Taekwoon continued. "He's still a bully to me, but since he's afraid of Wonsik he backed off a little."

Taekwoon sighed as he checked the time on his watch. "I'm sorry, Umma," he said. "I have to go to work now." His shoulders slumped. "Please forgive me if you don't hear from me in a while. I'm still really busy. I promise to keep doing well in school, okay? I'll have time to see my sisters in a few days." With a sad sigh, Taekwoon stood up, hissing in pain as he did so. "Bye, Umma," he said before hurrying off to work.

He failed to notice the person watching him the whole time.

Hakyeon realized that hanging out with Takewoon would be another learning experience for him.

Ever since their first tutor lesson, Hakyeon knew that he needed to be less aggressive with the other one. Taekwoon was the type that demanded space, which Hakyeon hadn't realized until that night.

But Hakyeon also didn't want Taekwoon to completely close himself off again. He did find it odd that Taekwoon was so distant. It was actually quite scary. When was the last time Taekwoon had a meaningful conversation with anybody? Why did he always feel so uncomfortable around Hakyeon and his friends? They were all nice to him. 

Hakyeon bit his lip as he thought back to the way Taekwoon's face looked a few days ago. Hakyeon thought that would be a one time thing, until today. They all noticed the painful gasps Taekwoon would release after someome touched him. Wonsik had confirmed that it wasn't Dohoon who hurt him, but that wasn't adding up to them. If it wasn't Dohoon, then who was it? Was Taekwoon being bullied by someone else? 

Hakyeon was tired. Why did he turn into the type of person who insists on helping everyone, even those who would appreciate it if he just disappeared?

One side if his mind was telling him to leave Taekwoon's business alone. It wasn't his place to be prying into the other boy's life. If Taekwoon wanted him to know what was going on, he would tell someone. Hakyeon should stop trying to force the information out of him.

The other side of Hakyeon's mind was telling him that Taekwoon was screaming for help, and that he should stay by Taekwoon's side. Something had happened to Taekwoon. Something had messed him up. This same side of Hakyeon's mind was telling

Please log in to read the full chapter