Gift

I Need a Hero
Please log in to read the full chapter

They started seeing less and less of Taekwoon after that.

Said boy had taken several more hours at work, to where his life had been so consumed with school, work, and taking care of his father that Taekwoon didn't have time for anything else.

That meant that his friends were seeing less and less of Taekwoon, and that meant having Hakyeon worry even more and more about him than ever before. And even though Hakyeon wanted nothing more than to tell Taekwoon to start living his own life, that his father doesn't deserve any of the care he was getting, Hakyeon knew he had no right. That man was still Taekwoon's father, and no matter what that man does to him, Taekwoon would still feel the need to do anything for his father because he felt that he had owed it to the man.

Hakyeon couldn't deny that he thought Taekwoon was an amazing person, but at the same time, he thought Taekwoon was a bit stupid too.

But really, Hakyeon couldn't fault Taekwoon for taking care of the last person he had left in his family, even if that person did nothing for his life except increase his misery.

"I have the chocolate!" Jaehwan yelled as he ran into Hakyeon's house. He held up the bag of chocolate as he ran inside, heading straight for the kitchen.

Hakyeon let out a small laugh as he watched Jaehwan's energy.

"And these cookies are done," Hongbin announced as he began to open the oven.

"What do we have in the basket so far, Hyuk?" Wonsik asked.

Hyuk grabbed the basket and placed it on his lap. "Let's see," he said as he started scanning the items. "We have a Naruto alarm clock, a Girls' Generation CD, a One Piece T-shirt," Hyuk paused as Jaehwan handed him the chocolates that he had picked up earlier. "And chocolate. Now all we need is for Hongbin's cookies to finish and for Wonsik's picture to dry."

Wonsik's eyes widened. "I should go check on that," he said, rushing out of the kitchen and to the back door. His picture was laying underneath the sun as he waited for it to dry.

"Do you really think Taekwoon would like this?" Hongbin asked.

Hakyeon nodded. "Of course he will," he answered confidently. "What Taekwoon needs is a reminder that there are people out there that care for him. I think this will help."

Wonsik came back inside the house, rolling up his picture and tying a band around it.

"Taekwoon's gonna love this!" Hakyeon said happily as he clapped his hands together. He pulled out his phone from his pocket and checked the time. "If we go now, we can catch Taekwoon before it's time for him to go to work." 

Taekwoon hadn't been to school for the past two days. Hakyeon figured that Taekwoon was too tired from all the extra hours he had to pick up at work.

They all just wanted to see Taekwoon today, even if it was just for a minute.

Hakyeon sighed, glancing at the gift basket in satisfaction as Hongbin and Wonsik placed their items into it. "Let's go," he finally said.

The five of them quickly making their way out of Hakyeon's house to start walking over to Taekwoon's.

Hyuk held the gift basket closely, glancing at it every once in a while to make sure that everything was inside and placed properly.

Maybe it was because all of them were so anxious to see Taekwoon, but to the five of them, the walk to his house felt like it had taken several hours instead of just a few minutes.

And once they finally made it to Taekwoon's front door, they felt something strange.

Instead of the excitement Hakyeon thought he would feel upon reaching to Taekwoon's house, he felt....fear? Shock? He wasn't exactly sure, but by the look on his younger friends' faces, he could tell that Hakyeon wasn't the only one who

Please log in to read the full chapter