Family

I Need a Hero
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hyuk's question almost didn't register in Hongbin's mind. He was already beginning to assume the worst.

Hongbin took off running, Hyuk closely behind him. "Taekwoon Hyung!" he yelled as the two of the made it to the house. It was no surprise that the front door was open. The paramedics must have gotten there a few seconds before they did.

The two of them let themselves in, against their better judgment, and upon seeing downstairs completely empty, they ran upstairs, their first thought was that of checking Taekwoon's room.

But they didn't have to travel far before they saw a team of paramedics exit another room, rolling a stretcher out of it.

With wide eyes they got a close look at who was on the bed.

It was Taekwoon's father.

And it was only a second later that Taekwoon came out of the room as well, wiping tears from his eyes. He was so distressed that he almost didn't notice that his two friends had broken into his house (again).

Taekwoon froze. "Wh-what are you doing here?" he asked, shocked to see them amidst what was going on.

"What's going on, Taekwoon?" Hongbin asked in worry.

"What's wrong with your dad?" Hyuk asked, even though he could see that Taekwoon wasn't up for answering questions right now.

Taekwoon swallowed. "Sick," he choked. "He wouldn't wake up." He ran his fingers through his hair. "I have to get to the hospital," he said suddenly before running down the stairs, Hongbin and Hyuk trying desperately to keep up with him.

"Taekwoon, wait," Hongbin called out once they reached outside. "We'll meet you there," he announced.

Taekwoon could do nothing but nod before climbing into the ambulance.

The two younger ones watched as the ambulance rushed out.

Hongbin turned to Hyuk when the ambulance was out of view. "We're gonna have to take the bus," he said with a sigh.

Hyuk nodded, following Hongbin as the oldest one started to walk to the nearest bus stop. "Should we call the others?" he asked. Hyuk knew that the older ones would want to hear about this, especially Hakyeon. And Hyuk can only imagine the scolding he would get from them if he and Hongbin hid this from them.

To his surprise, Hongbin shook his head. "No," he said. "At least...not yet anyway." He bit his lip. "Let's let them do what they need to do today. They're all busy right now. I don't want them to feel conflicted or feel guilty for not coming right away."

Hyuk nodded his head, perfectly understanding Hongbin's reasoning. 

Hongbin wasn't sure if Taekwoon really wanted the two of them there at the hospital with him, but Hongbin and Hyuk wouldn't take no for an answer. By the way Taekwoon looked, he was pretty shaken up. He shouldn't be alone right now, no matter how much he wanted to be.

Hyuk checked the time. "We should call the others after Mr. Jung gets his diagnosis," he suggested. "They need to be there. Just in case."

Hongbin sighed. He was hesitant to agreeing. This incident looked like something Taekwoon would have kept a secret if Hongbin and Hyuk hadn't happened to show up at the right (or wrong) moment. But finally, Hongbin nodded. Taekwoon shouldn't have to carry his stress alone.

The boys' thoughts were stopped when the the sound of the bus approaching signalled the time to confront Taekwoon had become much closer.

The three had sat in silence for way too long. It wasn't the normal silence that accompanied Taekwoon's presence. His normal silence was usually a result of Taekwoon listening to everyone's words, analyzing their personality and establishing whether or not they were trustworthy. This silence, was just plain painful. This silence was a result of Taekwoon being in abolute pain, his mind focused on nothing else besides his fears and worries.

People in the waiting room were looking at Taekwoon with looks of pity, something the distraught boy hated. But at this point, he didn't care. He was upset, and he had a reason to be. Taekwoon didn't care how people were judging him.

"Taekwoon Hyung," Hongbin finally said, breaking the silence. He turned to the older boy sitting next to him

Please log in to read the full chapter