Closure

I Need a Hero
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taekwoon bit his lip as he sat in the visitor’s room in the prison.

The guard had gone to go get Taekwoon’s father only a few seconds ago, but it had felt as if Taekwoon had sat here for hours waiting for the man.

He couldn’t remember the last time he was so fidgety, pulling at his sleeves as his leg quickly pulsed on the ground in anticipation.

The room was quiet, away from the chaos mostly caused by the various inmates failing to get along. The silence allowed Taekwoon to get lost in his head, this thoughts racing faster than he could keep up with.

Taekwoon suddenly couldn’t remember why he was here. It was at that moment that he wished that Hakyeon had talked him out of coming here today. Hakyeon wanted to stop Taekwoon; he could see it in the other one’s face. But Taekwoon also knew that Hakyeon wanted to help him in every way possible, and believed deep in his heart that Taekwoon going to his father would be good for him.

At least, that was what Taekwoon assumed was the case. He couldn’t think of another reason why Hakyeon wouldn’t stop him.

Taekwoon really did come here to achieve some closure, no matter how small. Taekwoon promised his friends and himself that he would do everything he could to move forward. He thought that clearing the air with his father was a nice step.

Taekwoon jumped from his thoughts as the guard brought his father in front of him.

Taekwoon winced at the pain the sudden movement brought upon his shoulder. He didn’t have to wear the sling anymore, but his shoulder was still sore as it recovered.

The older man sat across from Taekwoon, staring at the boy, as if waiting for him to speak first.

Taekwoon swallowed thickly, his mouth becoming dry all of a sudden. He tried with all his might to not shrink underneath his father’s intimidating gaze.

“Taekwoon,” his father finally said, breaking the silence. “Honestly, I’m surprised you came.”

Taekwoon bit his lip. He was surprised too.

What was Taekwoon supposed to say to that? Sorry? Ask how he was doing? Tell him how great his life was right now?

“Are you completely mute now?” his father asked, shocking Taekwoon back into the present. “You haven’t said a word, and I’m really curious why you would see me.”

“We left a lot of things unsaid,” Taekwoon finally said, miraculously finding his voice. If anything, the most important thing he could say was the truth.

“I left nothing unsaid,” his father countered.

Taekwoon nodded. His father was right, in a sense. His father was never silent about how he felt about Taekwoon.

For the first time, Taekwoon sat in front of his father and didn’t fear for his safety. He briefly glanced to the guard in the room before looking to his dad once more.

“I left things unsaid,” Taekwoon corrected.

His father leaned forward. “And lemme guess,” he said. “You see me locked up, and now you feel like you can say whatever you want.” He smiled, waiting for Taekwoon’s answer.

Taekwoon hated how easily his father could read him.

“For years, you blamed me for the death of my mother and sisters,” Taekwoon began. He felt embarrassed as he felt his eyes watering up. “And all those years I believed you.” Even now, Taekwoon still believed it a little, but he wouldn’t admit that out loud. “I would have never put them in danger,” he continued. “I loved them as much as you did. I was hurting as much as you were, and when I turned to you for comfort, you hurt me instead and you wouldn’t stop.”

Please log in to read the full chapter