The Truth

I Need a Hero
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hakyeon was confused as he watched Taekwoon slowly crawl off the bed, but he followed anyway, pausing as Taekwoon sat on the floor. Hakyeon sat on the floor as well, waiting in anticiaption as Taekwoon reached underneath his bed and pulled out an old shoebox.

Taekwoon gently pushed the box closer to Hakyeon's legs, urging the older one look at what was inside.

Hakyeon looked at the box in confusion before finally taking the lid of the box off. Inside, there was a stack of old pictures. "You want me to look at these?" Hakyeon asked. He felt as if it was a dumb question, but at the same time, he was still very cautious as to doing or saying anything that could scare or push Taekwoon away. He wanted to make sure he had his friend's full permission, that way, it wouldn't seem as if he were invading the other one's privacy too much.

Taekwoon nodded, biting his lip in the process.

Hakyeon smiled at the other, before gently picking up the pictures. He was treating them as if they were delicate and would break easily from his touch. But he knew these pictures were dear to Taekwoon, and he would have hated to damage them, even just a little. And as he started to look through the pictures, he saw why they would be so precious to Taekwoon. He showed a picture to Taekwoon. "Is this your mom?" he asked, pointing to the woman in the picture.

Taekwoon nodded, a small smile appearing on his face as he did so.

"She was beautiful," Hakyeon compliemented.

"Thank you," Taekwoon replied. He heard people say that about his mother a lot as he grew up.

"You kinda look like her," Hakyeon added as he continued to look through the pictures. He stopped when he saw a picture of two boys, one of them was obviously a younger Taekwoon. "Who's this with you?" Hakyeon asked as he pointed to the mysterious teenager hugging little Taekwoon from behind.

"That's my cousin Brian," Taekwoon answered. "We went to an amusement park that day."

"Who are these girls, Taekwoon?" Hakyeon asked once he got to the next set of pictures. 

Taekwoon bit his lip after Hakyeon showed him the picture. Three girls smiling brightly at the camera, wearing their brightly colored hanboks. "They're...they're my sisters," he answered quietly.

Hakyeon didn't think he heard correctly, but his eyes widened anyway. "Did you say-"

"They're my older sisters," Taekwoon answered again.

Hakyeon was surprised at this, seeing as how Taekwoon had led him and the others to believe that he was an only child. He noticed Taekwoon's eyes staring to water. "They died...with your mom, didn't they?" he asked slowly, earning a nod from Taekwoon. Hakyeon sighed. "Jaehwan was the one who found out that your mother was dead. We knew early on that mother was gone," he confessed, surprising Taekwoon.

"H-how did he find out?" Taekwoon asked.

"Remember our friend, Joonhee that I told you about?" Hakyeon asked. 

Taekwoon nodded again.

"Jaehwan went to his grave and saw you at the cemetary as well," Hakyeon explained. "After you left, he checked the gravestone you were at."

"Oh..." Taekwoon simply replied.

Hakyeon sighed. "Taekwoon-ah," he said. "If we hadn't found out about your mother being dead, when were you going to tell us?"

Taekwoon swallowed the lump in his throat. He shoke his head. "I don't know," he said. "I honestly don't know."

"I hate that's how we found out," Hakyeon confessed to him. 

Taekwoon nodded. "I know," he replied. "I'm sorry." He paused, playing with the carpet on the ground as Hakyeon continued to look through the pictures. "When I first met you guys, I didn't trust any of you."

Hakyeon nodded. He already knew that.

"But after I started being around you guys more," Taekwoon continued. "I was afraid that you guys would leave me if you found what about me. I know that seems selfish, but I was scared."

"You look so happy in these pictures," Hakyeon said as he kept looking through them. "I've never seen you smile this much before." He looked up at Taekwoon. "You don't have to worry about any of us abandoning you, because we want to see you smile like this again."

A sad smile appeared on Taekwoon's face. "Me too," he said with a nod, even though at this point, he knew there wasn't really that much of a reason to.

Hakyeon sighed. "I hate to be the one to bring up old wounds," he began. "But how did your mother and sisters die? I refuse to believe that it's your fault."

Taekwoon hugged his knees to his chest, looking away from Hakyeon. "

Please log in to read the full chapter