Suspicions

I Need a Hero
Please log in to read the full chapter

Just so there's no confusion.

Hakyeon and Taekwoon: last year of high school

Wonsik, Jaehwan, and Hongbin: third year

Hyuk: second year

ENJOY! ^_^

The next time Taekwoon woke up, it was still dark outside.

He groaned painfully as he pushed himself off the floor. He could feel the welts that had formed on his body.

Once standing, Taekwoon took off his school clothes, since he had failed to do that before seeing his dad.

Taekwoon swallowed at the thought of his father. He was still in mental anguish over his father beating him. He was still in shock about his dad getting drunk off his paycheck.

Once Taekwoon finished putting on a pair of comfortable pajamas, he collapsed on his bed, curling beneath his blanket.

Eight years.

It had been eight years since his life fell apart and he still hasn't gotten over it.

He probably would have, but it was a normal occurance for his dad to remind him of the mistake he made when he was only ten years old.

Taekwoon knew that no matter how much he apologized to himself, his father, and most importantly, his dead mother and sisters, nothing would change what happened. He couldn't bring them back, no matter how much he wished it.

Several times Taekwoon thought of ending his life. Everywhere he went, he got beat on anyway, so what was the point in continuing like this?

But Taekwoon never realized the hold his father had on him.

Every time Taekwoon thought of killing himself, he'd think of his father. 

Who would he have left if Taekwoon died?

Taekwoon didn't want his father suffering by himself, even if the older man was the cause of his suffering. Something just didn't feel right to Taekwoon if he just left his dad. He knew his father was hurting a lot, so Taekwoon was sure that everything his father said and did, he didn't mean it. He just needed an outlet.

Speaking of his father.

Taekwoon jumped when his door opened. He looked at the door way with wide eyes as he saw his father standing there watching him.

"A-Appa," Taekwoon stuttered as his dad began approaching him slowly. But he sighed in relief as his dad started speaking.

"Are you okay, Taekwoon-ah?" his father asked. He wasn't angry. His voice was gentle, which always made Taekwoon relax.

Taekwoon hadn't noticed the ice pack his dad was holding, but he closed his eyes and sighed in contentment as the bag of ice was gently placed on his bruised face. Taekwoon finally nodded in response. 

His father sat on the edge of the bed. "I'm sorry for hitting you like that," his father continued, using his free hand to run his fingers through Taekwoon's hair. This happened all the time, and Taekwoon believed him every time. This was a side of his dad he loved to see. The side of him that was always there before Taekwoon's mom and sisters died. A small place in Taekwoon's heart liked to believe that this is who his dad really was.

Acting on instinct, Taekwoon tensed at his father's touch, but later relaxed again with a sigh.

The two of them sat in silence for a while before his father started speaking again. "Get some rest, Taekwoon," he said.

Taekwoon nodded as he watched his dad rise and take his leave.

Though his father had wanted him to go to sleep, Taekwoon couldn't sleep, and found himself laying down and staring at the ceiling for the rest of the night, pondering his life.

Needless to say, going to school the next morning was hard, because Taekwoon was suffering from his lack of sleep last night. But his day was made even worse as he entered his first class of the day.

"What happened to your face?" Hakyeon asked in worry before class started as he studied Taekwoon's slightly discolored and swollen cheek. In all honesty, Hakyeon couldn't help but think how bad Taekwoon looked. He had dark circles under his eyes, his hair wasn't completely done, and there was a tiny cut on the corner of Taekwoon's mouth.

"It was an accident," Taekwoon answered. He looked down, hoping Hakyeon wouldn't ask anymore questions.

Hakyeon sent Taekwoon a worried look. "This doesn't look like an accident," he replied. Hakyeon sighed, using his fingers to force Taekwoon to look at him. "Did someone hit you?"

Taekwoon tensed at the question. "N-no it's not that," he answered, shaking his head.

"It looks like someone hit you," Hakyeon said. "Hard too."

'It's nothing really," he said. "It was just an accident."

"Was it Dohoon?" Hakyeon pressed on. Before he could wait for a response, he kept talking. "I told you that Wonsik will definitely back you up. You don't have to be afraid of him anymore. If he hurt you just tell one of us."

Taekwoon shook his head again. "It wasn't him, I swear."

"Then who was it?" Hakyeon asked.

"No one," Taekwoon lied before he bit his lip. "I fell," he replied. 

"You're lying," Hakyeon immediately accused. 

Taekwoon shook his head again, looking with Hakyeon with desperate eyes that pleaded with Hakyeon to believe him.

Hakyeon sighed. "Okay," he muttered. It's not that he suddenly believed Taekwoon's story. It's just that he didn't want to fight or feel like he was over stepping his boundaries. He and Taekwoon had only started talking to each other a couple of days ago. Hakyeon didn't want to end a relationship that barely started. "You fell," he said, though not feeling satisfied about this conversation.

Though the conversation ended then and there, Hakyeon couldn't stop thinking, even as class started and the teacher started talking.

Hakyeon was the type of

Please log in to read the full chapter