Loyalty

I Need a Hero
Please log in to read the full chapter

For some reason, Brian wasn’t surprised when Officer Kim showed up to Taekwoon’s room the next day. The boy was currently sleeping, which was good timing on Officer Kim’s part. He needed to talk to Brian, and would have hated to separate the two of them. But with Taekwoon asleep, and Hakyeon in the room, Brian obliged to the officer’s request.

The two of them left the room, Brian giving Taekwoon one last glance before he followed Officer Kim to the hospital cafeteria. Both of ordered large coffees, since drinking that every couple of hours was the only way the both of them have survived these two days.

“I think it’s important we discuss this now,” Officer Kim said as the two of them sat at a table. “You seem to be the only reliable family Taekwoon has left.”

Brian nodded. “I know,” he replied with a sigh. He really didn’t need such a sad reminder.

“But...you live in America,” Officer Kim continued.

Brian didn’t reply. He knew what conversation Officer Kim was trying to have with him, and it made him nervous.

Taekwoon needed a guardian.

Not that Brian had a problem with taking Taekwoon in. Taekwoon always knew that Brian always had a place for him, and Brian had no problem with Taekwoon living with him. Brian had a great job and was financially stable, and Taekwoon was so independent. If anything, it would be more of two roommates living together. If it hadn’t been for Taekwoon’s distorted loyalty to his father, Taekwoon probably would have taken up Brian’s offer a long time ago.

“I want Taekwoon to decide,” Brian finally said. “But I want him to make a choice that’s good for him.” He sighed, leaning back into his seat. “None of this would have happened if he had just come with me when I asked him the first two hundred times.”

“The important thing is that you tried,” Officer Kim reminded him. “And Taekwoon knows you care about him. He just didn’t want to leave his father. You have to see this from his point of view.”

“I’m not mad at him,” Brian corrected. “I’m just mad at-” he angrily waved his hands “-this whole situation.”

“You need to talk to Taekwoon once he’s recovered,” Officer Kim suggested. “I know you have his well-being in mind, but you also need to take his happiness into account.”

“In case you haven’t realized,” Brian said. “Taekwoon’s definition of happiness is kind of messed up.”

Officer Kim chuckled. “You know what I mean.”

“At this point, I’m just glad his father is out of the picture,” Brian said. “At least Taekwoon can’t go back to him, no matter how much he might want to.”

“Has he told you what happened?” Officer Kim asked.

Brian shook his head. “All he keeps saying is that he made his father and uncle mad,” he answered. “I’m afraid if I keep asking, he’ll push me away.” Brian wasn’t sure if Taekwoon wasn’t speaking in order to protect himself from having to relive what happened, or if he was keeping quiet to protect his father. Either way, Taekwoon’s silence gave a clue to bad Taekwoon was faring in regards in this whole situation.

“His father and uncle aren’t talking either,” Officer Kim said, shaking his head. “It doesn’t matter, they’re going to jail anyway.” He took a sip of his coffee. “Have you told Taekwoon the truth about Minah?”

Brian shook his head. “And I don’t think I ever can,” he admitted. “She acted so nice to him. Taekwoon knows she’s going to jail, but only for the drug charges you have on her.” Brian felt like throwing up when he heard why Taekwoon’s father had brought the boy to Minah’s home. If they had found Taekwoon any later, he would have probably been on his way to Thailand instead of resting in the hospital.

Officer Kim could understand why Brian wanted to keep that information from Taekwoon; there was no need breaking the boy any more than he already was.

“Besides...all of this,” Officer Kim asked. “How is Taekwoon today?”

“As you would expect,” Brian answered. “It’s been really hard for him, and Taekwoon, being himself, somehow believes this is all his fault.”

Officer Kim released an exhausted sigh. This poor kid…

“He’s suffered a lot, hasn’t he?” Officer Kim asked, although he was already sure of the answer. He could only imagine how hard it would be growing up with a father that hated him so much that he was willing to sell his own son.

“A lot more than he wants to admit,” Brian answered with a sigh. “I don’t know if I’ve said this to you, but I’m extremely grateful to you for finding Taekwoon. You saved his life.”

Officer Kim smiled. “Thank his friends,” he corrected. “They were the ones that insisted I looked for Taekwoon in the first place.” Knowing what he knows now, he felt guilty for being hesitant to look for Taekwoon in the first place.

Brian nodded. “And I’m happy Taekwoon made such great friends,” he added. “He deserves that, he really does.” Brian bit his lip, hesitant to ask the question that had been stuck in his mind for a long time. He was already sure of the answer, he was just scared of it being confirmed. “Have you ever...seen a case like this?”

“I’ve seen cases with some similarities,” Officer Kim answered. “Why?”

“Do you think Taekwoon will recover from this?” Brian asked. His eyebrows were furrowed in concern. It didn’t help when he noticed Officer Kim’s expression drop.

“I think you and his friends are the greatest things he has in his life,” Officer Kim began, sighing as he began tapping his coffee cup. “And while I know he won’t forget about what has happened to him, having you and his friends will definitely make it a little easier for him to heal. He’s going to need a lot of support, and I trust you guys will give that to him.”

“We will,” Brian promised. “We definitely will.”

Taekwoon sighed as he woke up once again. The first thing he noticed was the room being significantly empty.

“Taekwoonie,” a familiar voice said softly. “Are you awake now?”

Taekwoon moved his head to the direction of the voice, turning to the left to see Hakyeon sitting at his bedside, a smile on the other one’s face. Taekwoon nodded to answer his question.

“The guys had to go home,” Hakyeon explained. “And Brian is with Officer Kim, but he’ll be back in a few minutes.”

“Okay,” Taekwoon replied. That answered some of his questions.

“Do you need anything?” Hakyeon asked. “Are you thirsty? Hungry? I know it’s been a while since you’ve eaten.”

Taekwoon shook his head. He really wasn’t hungry. He felt sick, as if his stomach were constantly somersaulting.

“Hakyeon,” Taekwoon said, a thought suddenly coming to mind. “I...I never got to thank you guys.”

Hakyeon tilted his head in confusion. “Thank us for what?”

“For looking for me,” Taekwoon said. He didn’t want Hakyeon to know that he didn’t think any of his

Please log in to read the full chapter