Audition

How To Confess Your Love

                The audition day had finally arrived. Daehyun and Zelo were walking to the performing arts club room after their last class ended. Zelo looked calm and relaxed like he always did but on the contrary, Daehyun looked sick and pale, like he would throw up at any time. The lack of sound coming from his chatterbox friend drew Zelo’s attention. “Daehyun? You okay?”

                “Wha- Y-Yeah. I’m good.” Daehyun acted normal. Although he was not convinced, Zelo just shrugged it off. “Well, here we are.”

                “Wait!” Daehyun grasped his arm when he was about to open the door. He turned to the other with a questioning look.

                “I-I… I don’t think… I can do it,” Daehyun was agitated. “I’ve never been so nervous like this before,” He let go of Zelo’s arm and started to play with his fingers.

                “Why would you be nervous for a simple audition? You even had performed in front of people before,” Zelo was concerned for his friend’s insecurities.

                “Maybe… It’s because Bang Yongguk will watch me?” He raised his eyebrows at Zelo.

                “So? It’s a great chance for you to attract him.”

                “But what if I fail?”

                “Don’t worry. You’ll nail it. I’m here to support you,” Zelo gripped Daehyun’s shoulder to reassure him. “Trust me.” Daehyun took a deep breath before nodding to Zelo. “Okay. Let's do it.”

 

( ̄(エ) ̄)

 

                Himchan turned around when he heard the door clicked. “Oh, you’re here. Come in,” Both  Daehyun and Zelo walked in and bowed at him. The four walled room was pretty big. It was more like a dance studio because of the full mirror wall at the front. Also, there were two small rooms at the left and right sides. Yongguk was seated at a long table together with two more people in the middle of the room. He saw Daehyun’s reflection in the mirror and wanted to give him his trademark gummy smile. However, the cute boy was busy observing his surroundings. He really wished to examine the boy longer but he had another job to do.

                The student showing his talent now was recognized as a junior by Daehyun and Zelo. He was singing an R&B song which was clearly out of tune. Poor him. “There’s one more participant after this. You’ll have to wait for a while.” Himchan stated with his arms crossed. The other participants were also standing at the back of the room.

                “Okay,” Zelo responded. “But why are you just stand here and not sitting there with them?”

                “I’m only in charge of students that came here to play instruments. I’ve auditioned quite a number of them during recess and we did it in the music room where all the instruments are,” He pointed to the right door. Zelo and Daehyun moved their heads towards the direction before nodding their heads.

                “What about that room?” Zelo motioned to the other door. “Oh. It’s like… our office.”

                “So the audition was handled by four people only?” Daehyun was the one asking this time. He wanted to distract himself from staring at Yongguk, afraid that he would be caught since there was an exceptionally large mirror facing him.

                “Yeap. Only the coordinators. You see, the rightmost guy is the dance coordinator. His name is Moon Jongup. Second grade,” Himchan told them. “Really? Wow. He’s so…buffed,” Zelo commented. And hot too.

                “I know, right? The middle one you guys already know who,” Himchan said, referring to Yongguk. “Now, the leftmost guy was also in the second grade. He’s the vocal coordinator, Yoo Youngjae,” Daehyun’s mouth formed an O shape.

                “Next,” Yongguk called with his usual low and deep voice, grabbing the attention of the people standing at the back.

                “It’s your turn now,” Himchan patted Zelo’s back, urging him forward. “Already?” The boy removed his backpack and put it aside. “Oh wait. Did you bring your song? You can hand it to me,”

                 Zelo took out a flash drive from his front pocket and gave it to Himchan. After he plugged it into the laptop, Zelo showed him the song he and Daehyun would be using. “Fighting!” Daehyun encouraged him before he went to stand in front of the ‘juries’.

                 “Introduce yourself,” Youngjae ordered. “Annyeong haseyo,” Zelo bowed. “My name Choi Junhong but you can call me Zelo. I’m in the first grade.”

                 “Have you ever performed before this?” Jongup voiced out his query. “Y-Yeah. Several times.” Oh my god he’s good-looking too.

                 “So, what have you prepared? Youngjae asked while Yongguk just played with his pen. “I’ll rap first. And then I’ll show my dance skills.”

                 “Okay. You can start now,” Yongguk said before straightening his position. Taking it as his cue, Himchan started to play the music.

                The song by Kriss Kross titled Jump echoed through the entire room. Zelo was bobbing his head to get the feeling. When the timing was right, he began to rap the English words he memorized. It was smooth and clear but full of passion and energy. It seemed that all the people watching him were really impressed by his skill including the other participants and also his best friend. He was clapping his hands excitedly at the back. After half of the song, Zelo stopped rapping and started to dance hip hop style. Jongup was the most interested person to see him moved his body to the beat. He did all the locking and popping until the end of the song. The spectators applaud and cheered for the multi-talented boy. Zelo bowed and said thank you before going back to Daehyun who raised his hands for a high five and congratulated him.

                “Woah… You’re so great,” Himchan praised. “Thanks.”

                “Now it’s your turn, Daehyun.” The boy gulped when Himchan mentioned his name. Zelo noticed this and once again convinced him that he could do it. “I can do it!” Daehyun encouraged himself. “Yeah! Go for it man,” Zelo slapped his back lightly.

                Daehyun slowly walked to his place. All eyes were on him now. Maybe because he was the last student to be auditioned. Daehyun could feel his heart was thumping loudly when he looked at Yongguk. The latter was killing him with his wide smile. Himchan could see Yongguk’s radiant face from the mirror. He knew that his friend was waiting to hear Daehyun sing all day. And now that the time had come, he couldn’t hide his excitement anymore.

                The same questions were asked to Daehyun. When the music started to play, he took a deep breath and glanced at Zelo. The said boy just mouthed the word ‘fighting’ to him with clenched hand. Daehyun closed his eyes, immersed in the song by his favourite artist, 4Men.

                A moment later, a melodious and angelic voice filled the air. It was deep but sweet. Everyone was captivated by Daehyun’s singing ability. They didn’t expect an adorable boy like him would have such an amazing talent with a heavenly voice. And the way he conveyed the lyrics, you could feel it right through your heart.

               Sitting in the most front row, Yongguk unconsciously leaned his body forward. He kept gazing at Daehyun unblinking and slack-jawed. Each time they looked into each other’s eyes, Yongguk swore he felt pain in his chest. Am I really…falling in love?

                As soon as the song was finished, a thunderous applause could be heard even from the outside. The sudden noise had brought Yongguk back to reality. He also joined them and looked proudly at Daehyun while the other was kept bowing and thanking them.

               “I told you you’ll nail it,” Zelo said, hugging his friend when he returned to him. Daehyun just hugged him back. A satisfied  smile carved on his face.

               “Wow, Daehyun. You’re…fantastic!” Himchan spoke. Daehyun became red-faced. He pulled from Zelo but Zelo’s arm was slung over his shoulders. “No hyung. I’m not that good.”

               “Are you kidding?! You’re like a pro in front there”

               “Of course he’s like a pro. He’s my friend,” Zelo swiftly head locking Daehyun. The victim whimpered and begged him to let go although he was chuckling. Himchan just laughed while watching them.

               Yongguk, Youngjae and Jongup didn’t take long to decide since there were just a few students that came after school. When they were announcing the members-to-be, Daehyun and Zelo were included, obviously, along with two more students. They were being a little overreacting, jumping like crazy. But Yongguk found Daehyun was very lovable when he was happy like that. Indeed.

                After all things were settled down, Youngjae was first to approach Daehyun as the boy was filling the club form with Zelo. “Hi,” He said. Daehyun and Zelo stopped writing and turned to him. “Daehyun, right? And Zelo?” They nodded respectively. “I just wanted to congratulate you. You guys were really great earlier.”

               “Ah yes. Thank you,” Both of them replied. “So, you two will be the club’s members after this. I hope we can work well together. You can just call me Youngjae hyung,” Youngjae smiled gently. “Yes Youngjae hyung. Please take care of us,” They bowed. Youngjae chuckled, “No need to be so formal with me. I’ll see you later okay?” He left them to greet the other new members.

               Yongguk had finished discussing something with Himchan. Now, he was searching for Daehyun. He missed talking to him. Daehyun was spotted at the corner with Zelo. He saw Youngjae was already leaving them so it was a good chance for him. He walked casually to Daehyun’s place, coming from the boy’s back. But when he was only a meter away, someone beat him to it. He stopped his track, frustrated, and lean against the wall, waiting for the next chance.

                “Hello Daehyun and Zelo,” Jongup spoke out of the blue. Zelo’s face tuned into a light pink when he saw the person greeting them. “Hi sunbaenim,” Daehyun retorted. “Oh, no no no. Just call me hyung. Jongup hyung.” His smile is so cute. Zelo thought.

                “So, Zelo. Welcome to the club. Your dancing is superb man,” Zelo turned shy when Jongup complimented him. “T-Thanks hyung.”

                “And Daehyun?”

               “Yeah?”

               “Did it hurt?” Daehyun got confused by the question, as well as Zelo. “Did what hurt?”

               “When you fell out of heaven?” Daehyun got more confused when Jongup uttered his question-like answer. He did not seem to get it. Whereas Zelo had something else in his mind – Did he just flirt with Daehyun??

               On the other hand, Yongguk had overheard their conversation. He cannot believe what Jongup had said to Daehyun. Is he stupid or what? What kind of pickup line was that? He hit his forehead with his palm, embarrassed by his friend’s action. I really hope Daehyun doesn’t fall for that.

               “So, my angel,” Jongup continued, “Want to change numb- ”

               “Jongup!” Yongguk called, unusually with a high pitched voice. “Himchan needs you. Go to him, fast.” He desperately pushed Jongup to Himchan’s direction but the other was reluctant.

               “But I was- ”

               “Now!” The final push almost brought Jongup to the ground. Luckily, he had a good balance to save himself from kissing the floor. “Aish this hyung,” Jongup turned around to glare annoyingly at Yongguk. But his face changed to a smiling puppy when he looked at Daehyun. “I’ll see you later, Daehyun!” He waved before making his way to Himchan.

                Daehyun waved back, still processing what Jongup had said to him without realizing the disapproving look on the other two. “Ehem…” Yongguk cleared his throat to grab Daehyun’s attention. The boy turned to Yongguk and immediately broke into a shy smile. “I’m glad that you came today. Your singing was wonderful,”

                “Thanks hyung,” Daehyun said for the nth time on that day.

                Judging the current situation, Zelo thought it was best for him left Daehyun alone with his crush. His friend needed to be more confident and didn’t have to always rely on him all the time.

                “Oh! I think I need to use the toilet. I’ll be back in a minute okay. Here, hold this for me,” Zelo stated to Daehyun and gave him his form. Daehyun didn’t even have time to protest. By the time he called Zelo’s name, he was already disappeared behind the door. The air suddenly became awkward for both of them.

                Yongguk darted his eyes from left to right, up and down, thinking about something to say while Daehyun just kept his eyes downcast. Come on, Yongguk. This is your chance.

                “So… D-do you… l-like… dogs?” The Yongguk??? What’s with the random topic??? Jongup was far better than you. He was arguing with his own mind.

                 Daehyun looked up at Yongguk, frowning. He was not sure if he had heard it correctly but he just answered it anyway. “Yeah… They’re… cute.”

                 “I know right. Especially the furry ones.”

                 “Y-yeah… hahaha…” Daehyun let out an airy laugh.

                 What on earth am I talking about?! Yongguk felt like slapping himself. He must think I’m a sort of weirdo or something. C’mon Yongguk! Put yourself together!

                 He took a deep breath before continuing, “Do you probably… have a… lover?” Wait, am I being too obvious?

                 Daehyun immediately blushed at the sudden question. “No…”

                 “Really? Neither am I…” And their conversation was dead. Fortunately, Himchan volunteered to be their savior. “Alright guys. The room will be locked in a moment. You can hand in the forms to me and dismiss,” He announced.

                 “You have filled the form?” Yongguk pointed to the papers in Daehyun’s hands. Daehyun nodded. “You can just give it to me,” He handed it over to Yongguk.

                 “So… I’ll see you tomorrow? During lunch?”

                 “Okay,” Daehyun replied happily.

                 “Okay, bye,” They waved to each other. Daehyun took his bag and also Zelo’s before going out. He was surprised to see his friend standing beside the door, playing with his phone. “Oh? I thought you went to the toilet?”

                 “I did,” Zelo answered, eyes still on the phone. “So why didn’t you go back in there?” Daehyun gave Zelo his bag. The owner took it and put his phone in the pocket. “I was giving you some time alone with your crush. You should’ve thanked me.”

                 “But it was awkward as hell. I’m feeling like running to my home and hide in my blanket,” Daehyun complained.

                 “Really? What did you guys talked about?” They started walking out of the school.

                 “Stuffs.”

                 “And what do you think about him?”

                 “I think…” Daehyun paused for a while, “he is… unique?”

                 “You’re saying he’s a dork?”

                 “I didn’t say that!” Daehyun stopped walking. They were already passed the gates. “He’s not a dork!”

                 “But he would suit you more if he is,” Zelo teased, preparing to make a run after this.

                 “Yah!” And Daehyun started to chase him.

 

( ̄(エ) ̄)

 

                Back in the club room, everybody had left except Himchan and Yongguk. Himchan was busy tidying the room when he realized Yongguk was very quiet. He looked around and found a figure sitting at the corner while hugging his knees. He slowly went to his place, wondering what was wrong with his friend this time. “Yongguk? What are you doing over there?”

                 “I’m such a loser!” Yongguk shouted suddenly, making Himchan jumped back, almost having a heart attack. He started to roll on the ground, still hugging his knees. “I should’ve been cooler in front of him! Not like a retarded person!”

                Himchan grumbled. “Why am I friend with this idiot?”

 

\( ̄(エ) ̄)/

 

 

 

 

 

I’m having less free time to write. I don't know how long will it take for the next update. I hope you’ll be patient with me... m(_ _)m

BangDae's tounges ⊙ω⊙